AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-02, 23:24   Link #1161
OkamiNoKaze

Me too Triple_R, I know I for one, would have even joined her brigade.
Old 2009-10-03, 00:36   Link #1162
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Me too Triple_R, I know I for one, would have even joined her brigade.
I would too... and, as Student Council President, I would have ensured that the SOS Brigade was formally recognized and funded.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:15   Link #1163
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I would too... and, as Student Council President, I would have ensured that the SOS Brigade was formally recognized and funded.
BZZZ! For reasons which would be obvious if you'd just finish reading the $%&# novels already, the above statement is impossible.

Major problem with Haruhi is that you'll never be on an even footing with her. Either you'll bask in her glow of ubercoolness and follow her around like a little puppy, or you'll eventually tire of her belligerent drive to be the center of whatever's going on. A healthy relationship can't involve someone as blindly dominant as Haruhi is, and no relationship will last unless the other person is unhealthily submissive. No human being has the patience to tame that particular shrew, either, which is good for Kyon as he is a fictional character.

Mikuru is the exact opposite, although we at least see some hints that she gets over it, in a big way. If only Mikuru(big) could be trusted, she might just be perfect.

Yuki is neither dominant nor submissive, but she's admittedly not much emotionally. She does seem to have no problem doing whatever Kyon wants her to do, but somehow comes across as not being submissive when she does so. And she certainly won't force you to do anything, unless it's a matter of life and death (which is an acceptible exception in my book). And anyone suggesting that she wouldn't be able to handle her...ahem—matrimonial duties—has forgotten how quickly she took to learning the guitar. "I know kung fu" indeed...

But as always, the best option, now or later, is the green-haired dark horse, the cheery senpai, the mother#$%&ing Bat. Tsuruya-san is rich, she's beautiful, she's smart, she's rich, she's fun to be around without having to run the show, she's rich, and best of all, she's normal. Sure, she might be a Yakuza heiress, but unless she also turns out to be a mermaid or a chronically immodest space alien, is that really a bad thing...?
Old 2009-10-03, 02:21   Link #1164
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
BZZZ! For reasons which would be obvious if you'd just finish reading the $%&# novels already, the above statement is impossible.

Major problem with Haruhi is that you'll never be on an even footing with her. Either you'll bask in her glow of ubercoolness and follow her around like a little puppy, or you'll eventually tire of her belligerent drive to be the center of whatever's going on. A healthy relationship can't involve someone as blindly dominant as Haruhi is, and no relationship will last unless the other person is unhealthily submissive. No human being has the patience to tame that particular shrew, either, which is good for Kyon as he is a fictional character.
Dude... I just don't see Haruhi the way that you do. You really need to learn to accept other people's opinions on these characters. And, as far as the novels are concerned... most people say that Haruhi softens as the novels go along.

Like whoever you want to like.

And I'll like whoever I want to like too.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:24   Link #1165
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Tsuruya-san is rich, she's beautiful, she's smart, she's rich, she's fun to be around without having to run the show, she's rich, and best of all, she's normal.
... I think you forgot to mention she's rich.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-10-03, 02:28   Link #1166
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The minute Kyon finally confesses to Haruhi, I'd bet money that she'd immediately become submissive and deredere around him like 70% of the time.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:33   Link #1167
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

... Either that or make fun of him first.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:34   Link #1168
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The minute Kyon finally confesses to Haruhi, I'd bet money that she'd immediately become submissive and deredere around him like 70% of the time.
I could see that.

Haruhi does have a softer side, imo. We saw that in Live Alive, and a few touches of it in Someday in the Rain.

She's not going to be her Sighs self for all time, I don't think.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:34   Link #1169
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think he's just pointing out how the students of her school see her, and how the Organization handles things...behind the scenes, to keep her happy.

Haruhi wants conflict so that her school days will be interesting. Having everyone follow her would be boring eventually. She has a certain desire to be the center of attention, but not overly so, since she didn't put forth any ideas for the Festival for her own class, instead she decides to make a club movie...and gets delutions of gradure, both with the movie and later in her speech about winning the computer game then spreading her club to all the schools via the Board of Education.

She is the most infamous girl at North High. She's the weird one everyone knows about, but doesn't really know. She's part feared and part admired. All the clubs do and don't want her to join them. She seems to be skilled at everything (it seems the only one more skilled at random stuff is Yuki). She has little patience and is generally all gears into overdrive when she's after something (unless its Kyon), to the point where she misses things (resulting in that flying head kick to the Computer Club President...I'm sure she thought he was the Student Council President or someone whom she wants to be evil so she'll have someone to fight.)

She softens a bit...but not really much towards the other students of her class...just her club and Kyon. Maybe the really later books has her soften more to classmates, but I've not seen that.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:41   Link #1170
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
All the clubs do and don't want her to join them.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the computer club is the only one that doesn't want anything to do with her. At the very least, they're the only one we know about. Live Alive shows us that at least one other club has no problems with her.
Old 2009-10-03, 02:46   Link #1171
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I think he's just pointing out how the students of her school see her, and how the Organization handles things...behind the scenes, to keep her happy.

Haruhi wants conflict so that her school days will be interesting. Having everyone follow her would be boring eventually. She has a certain desire to be the center of attention, but not overly so, since she didn't put forth any ideas for the Festival for her own class, instead she decides to make a club movie...and gets delutions of gradure, both with the movie and later in her speech about winning the computer game then spreading her club to all the schools via the Board of Education.

She is the most infamous girl at North High. She's the weird one everyone knows about, but doesn't really know. She's part feared and part admired. All the clubs do and don't want her to join them. She seems to be skilled at everything (it seems the only one more skilled at random stuff is Yuki). She has little patience and is generally all gears into overdrive when she's after something (unless its Kyon), to the point where she misses things (resulting in that flying head kick to the Computer Club President...I'm sure she thought he was the Student Council President or someone whom she wants to be evil so she'll have someone to fight.)

She softens a bit...but not really much towards the other students of her class...just her club and Kyon. Maybe the really later books has her soften more to classmates, but I've not seen that.

Well, yes.

In Haruhi's world, there's herself, then there's Kyon, then there's the rest of the SOS Brigade, and coming in way, way, way behind is everybody else.

She wants to be the center of attention, but she genuinely does want her fellow SOS Brigade members to be prosperous, happy, and famous in their own right... just less so than she herself is, of course. Think of how much she genuinely wanted Mikuru to be a star actress, for example. I actually found her pep talk to Mikuru after the end of filming to be pretty cool and nice of Haruhi. Heck, it made me think of Kamina trying to inspire Simon in Gurren Lagann.
Old 2009-10-03, 03:50   Link #1172
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Actually, I'm pretty sure the computer club is the only one that doesn't want anything to do with her. At the very least, they're the only one we know about. Live Alive shows us that at least one other club has no problems with her.
The interesting thing is that Haruhi left most of the school alone, so they don't really get to see her mean side. The Computer club was a rare exception, all the other clubs don't have a reason to dislike her, because they don't really know her anyway.
Old 2009-10-03, 04:35   Link #1173
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Nuh uh.

a) Stunnage (a minute or two?)
b) Denial (I can't possibly like him he's only a human!)
c) Acceptance (Oh whatever)
d) Pashing (*Insert sounds here* *Kyon slowly suffocating*)
e) Dere Dere tiem!
Old 2009-10-03, 04:44   Link #1174
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or she finds new creative ways to keep him under her thumb. "Write a book about me."
"Does it have to be true"

"Yes."
'Dammit'.

"Then see if you can get it made into an anime"

"Does it still have to be true?"
"Yes"
'Dammit'
"You know no anime company can adapt things correctly."

"I'll make it so one does."
'Oh hell'
Old 2009-10-04, 00:36   Link #1175
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Or she finds new creative ways to keep him under her thumb. "Write a book about me."

"Yes."
'Dammit'.

"Yes"
'Dammit'

'Oh hell'
That last "Oh, hell" should actually be "*sigh* 'Yare, yare...'" but otherwise that sounds about right... ^_^

Triple R, you can't honestly tell me you don't see the problem with behavior like this... It's not that I don't like Haruhi. She certainly has her fine moments. But the detrimental effect of her domineering attitude isn't just my opinion. It's a central premise of the entire series. And I wouldn't even call it "mean", because she's not intentionally such a pain. Hell, the whole point of Kyon wanting to knock some sense into her in Sigh was so she'd stop being the kind of person that hurts others...
Quote:
My eyes went red again. You stupid girl! Koizumi, let go of me! I don't care if it's an animal or a person, but anyone who won't learn deserves to be taught a lesson, even if it means using my fists. Otherwise she'll continue to repel people as though she has spikes on her back, hurting everyone for her whole life.
Love the Mario reference, by the way. Leave it to Tanigawa-sensei to insert a video game reference into that of all scenes... ^_^

Quote:
God, wouldn't that just make her even more of a pain? ^_^

I don't think Kyon will ever "confess" to Haruhi, at least not straight to her face over the course of the narrative of the series. For one, he'd have to convince himself of the fact (although I do see that much happening by the end), and then he'd have to overcome the realization that telling her clearly how he feels would be nearly (in his eyes) suicidal. Now, I fully expect for him at some point to say something that she takes completely out of context to be a confession. The opportunities for humor in that are nearly boundless... ^__^

EDIT: And regarding the Haruhi vs Yuki argument... Looks like that one's been settled for this year...

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2009-10-04 at 00:57. Reason: OH, SNAP!
Old 2009-10-04, 01:01   Link #1176
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:

"Yes."
'Dammit'.

"Yes"
'Dammit'

'Oh hell'
You do know that if Haruhi had made the anime correctly adapted, we'd have gotten Disappearance by now.
Old 2009-10-04, 01:18   Link #1177
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
Love the Mario reference, by the way. Leave it to Tanigawa-sensei to insert a video game reference into that of all scenes... ^_^
Don't really think it's meant to be a Mario reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe4evr View Post
You do know that if Haruhi had made the anime correctly adapted, we'd have gotten Disappearance by now.
Not really. She would've skipped over it.

Not to mention the fact that the quality of the series would've been about the same as the quality of their movie.
Old 2009-10-04, 05:12   Link #1178
mitsuganae

Quote:
... Before I go on a bit of a murderous rampage, I'd like to point out that, given previous actions, she's more likely to read a book during it than one about it.
Thank you for providing such an amusing image!

And I thought the entertainment value of this subforum would decrease when the last new episode aired...
Old 2009-10-04, 05:17   Link #1179
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
Don't really think it's meant to be a Mario reference.
I think it sounds more like an Evangelion reference (Hedgehogs's Dilemma) . Of course Haruhi is more like Asuka than like Shinji....but I think both are more broken than Haruhi .
Old 2009-10-04, 13:02   Link #1180
xellos2099

So is this week the computer game episodes and supposedly someday in the rain is next week?
Closed Thread

Tags
kadokawa, science fiction, shounen