Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-06-03, 22:33   Link #1181
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Yea, Malkuth's comment was that Granny was Erio's grandmother but she is actually Meme's grandmother and Makoto and Erio's GREAT-grandmother.
Ah, I see. Well, at the end of ep. 8, we can see that Meme inherited the shiny hair gene from her, and Erio in turn inherited it from Meme. Meme also has inherited an extra sparkly gene from Elliot as well, making her hair extra shiny and sparkly - a polygenic effect of quantitative traits.
For the hair colour, Meme's dark blue hair plus Elliot's whitish hair results in Erio's cyan hair, fits very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Nice episode and nice guts old man. For 30+ years he still like the same girl but still got rejected in the end. The answer is no and still no.
Actually, it's not a "no" to Yamamoto-kun himself, but instead a "no" to marriage as such, as she intends to not marry and stay single. (Same here - I also think marriage is a very outdated antiquity.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Touwa Meme is such a strong character. I am hard
Nothing to be asahmed of there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
pressed to think of anyone better. Total win.
She's definitely the best 40-year-old I've ever seen in anime.

Anyway, screenshots can be found on my blog:
http://pantsudaisuki.wordpress.com/2...shun-otoko-08/
Old 2011-06-04, 01:53   Link #1182
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

This show is moe-moe, has flashes of brilliance, Meme-chan is glorious, and its characters show subtle depth, etc., but I just can't get it out of my mind that it lost something when Erio stopped being so Denpa.

Now she's kind of just cruising along being moe-moe and trying (mostly off-screen?) to reconnect with society. Sure, healthy for her in the long run, but that does mean Itoko doesn't need to try so hard trying to bring the Space Princess back down to earth. I need more "I CAN'T FLYYYYY~" and alien futon action.

...no not that kind you perverts.

P.S. This show's OP and EDs are awesome. The OP is just...denpa. And the ED is one lovely, quirky circus-esque piece with a perfectly timed "drumming up" moment.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 04:30   Link #1183
Itlandm
Porcupine

So Grandma has been talking about cattle mutilation for at least 28 years. -_- That is a dangerous thing for your soul, to hold on to that kind of thoughts for so long. Don't try that at home, kids.

Fireworks guy must be a little denpa himself, to propose to a woman who does not even remember his name and is not even interested in learning it. But then, I guess that is the point of this story: Everyone is a bit crazy, each in their own way.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 14:34   Link #1184
Tenshi_
Dewgong >w<

So I'm guessing the whole "alien" thing is a metaphor for real life events?? Like in this episode, Cattle Mutilation is personifying how Meme's grandma is going to die soon?? where she keeps mentioning cattle multilation as if she wants to die quickly... and Meme trying to "get rid of the aliens" meaning she doesn't want her grandma to pass away.
At the same time, Meme wants to throw off her longing feelings towards Elliot and at the end, she tried to celebrate her 40th birthday??

I'm kind of slow in getting these kind of things so correct me if I'm wrong

Moreover, why do I have a urge to go for Meme instead of Erio?? argh my head is about to explode XD
Old 2011-06-04, 16:41   Link #1185
Dr. Casey

I can't figure out how the hell old Grandma is supposed to be.

If she's 90 in the present (To use a random 'old' age), that would make her about 62 in the flashback... which sounds like a reasonable age for the flashback, but in the present she doesn't look around 90.
If she's 80 in the present, that would make her around 52 in the flashback. Those ages are fairly reasonable appearance-wise, I guess (80 moreso than the 52), though it wouldn't make much sense for her to act like an old woman on death's door in her early 50s (Or her early 60s, for that matter).
If she's 70 in the present (Which seems reasonable, at least far as her physical appearance/face goes) that would make her 42 in the flashback... but she's obviously not that young in the flashback, unless she ages worse than anyone else in all history.

bah fuck it I dunno

I've heard a theory that the lolinaut from the opening is actually the grandmother, though. Would be interesting if the grandmother was indeed a space explorer during her loli years.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 19:33   Link #1186
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

The drawings aren't complete and I'm already HNGGGGGGGGGGing. http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/0...oko-bddvd.html
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 19:33   Link #1187
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I think ~90 is reasonable.

Erio/Itoko is 16 I think? Meme is 40. 24 years between each generation, assuming, then that makes grandma around 90.

Just wondering where is Meme's parents though. If grandma is still alive and kicking, where's her child?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 21:04   Link #1188
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
I've heard a theory that the lolinaut from the opening is actually the grandmother, though. Would be interesting if the grandmother was indeed a space explorer during her loli years.
As you can see from my last post in this thread, I support this theory. But I don't think that means she was a space explorer:

In the opening, the girl looks about Erio's age. Grandma is very old now. Old enough that - when she was Erio's age - space travel was stuff of science fiction/lab research. That would have been in the thirties or fourties of the 20th Century! Space Flight didn't pick up until the sixties. So, if the girl's indeed Grandma, I think it's more a visual metaphor than an actual event.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 21:58   Link #1189
Texas84
よろしく

The cuteness is epic but last week I started to get back to thinking about the whole alien thing and Erio's disappearance. Or should I say The Disappearance of Erio Touwa (bad pun, sorry). I think I'd like to see some kind of weird alien ending that we never saw in Arakawa Under the Bridge.
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 22:32   Link #1190
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I think ~90 is reasonable.

Erio/Itoko is 16 I think? Meme is 40. 24 years between each generation, assuming, then that makes grandma around 90.
Yes, 90 for the granny would make sense, that would be a nicely fitting age difference for each generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just wondering where is Meme's parents though. If grandma is still alive and kicking, where's her child?
Godd question... so far, we didn't get a single glance on Meme's mother. She'll most likely also have the shiny hair-gene.
Old 2011-06-05, 03:28   Link #1191
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
This show is moe-moe, has flashes of brilliance, Meme-chan is glorious, and its characters show subtle depth, etc., but I just can't get it out of my mind that it lost something when Erio stopped being so Denpa.
I see where you're coming from. Erio becoming normal (or trying to anyway) did remove some of the fun from the series. She isn't quite as entertaining now that she isn't denpa anymore, I miss her crazy and intricate talk about aliens.

Quote:
The drawings aren't complete and I'm already HNGGGGGGGGGGing. http://animapple.blogspot.com/2011/0...oko-bddvd.html
Oh dear god. They're going to kill me! HGGGGGGGNNNNNNNNNN
Old 2011-06-05, 05:51   Link #1192
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
Old 2011-06-05, 09:57   Link #1193
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

About granny's age... I think it's believable that she's 80 present. I think there's an unforgiving peak around 50 for Asian women who age well up until then, going by family experience .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
pic
Is Yashiro like... Erio's half sister on her father's side? Or perhaps Yashiro is to Erio as Elliot was to Meme?
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 11:19   Link #1194
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
So this new girl will be the "esper" type denpa.

Btw excuse me, I'm gonna HNNNNNGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH~~~!!!
Old 2011-06-05, 11:31   Link #1195
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
Is Yashiro like... Erio's half sister on her father's side? Or perhaps Yashiro is to Erio as Elliot was to Meme?
I think its more like:

Erio = Moon
Yashiro = Sun
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 19:23   Link #1196
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Everyone is expecting so much from Yashiro but I can't help but feel too much expectation will lead to disappointment when stuff don't happen.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 20:20   Link #1197
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Everyone is expecting so much from Yashiro but I can't help but feel too much expectation will lead to disappointment when stuff don't happen.
People should be more prudent when it comes to things like this.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-05, 20:48   Link #1198
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Translating Yashiro's info:

Hoshimiya Yashiro
Usually, you're wondering "Did she steal it from Nasa?" with the space suit she typically wears. Did she get to like Erio?
Old 2011-06-06, 00:59   Link #1199
winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon
Yea, Malkuth's comment was that Granny was Erio's grandmother but she is actually Meme's grandmother and Makoto and Erio's GREAT-grandmother.
And this is where it doesn't make sense. Meme is 40 years old. And yet she's the granddaughter. How exactly is "granny" still alive, much less in such active condition?

Though I guess if everyone started young, we could get that 90 years old... but still...
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-06, 01:21   Link #1200
EroKing

Child marriages were pretty common like half a century ago. Even today most of the kids in my country (about ages 13-16) do get married and have kids themselves early not caring that it is illegal to do so.

Tags
aliens, ecchi, light novel adaptation, romance, school life, seinen, shaft, shounen, slice of life