3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.45%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-02, 00:47   Link #101
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
I personally think characters of the masters in Fate/Stay Night were just too immature. I like serious and mature fight, rather than Chu-ni-byou fight.

I dunno, they may have experience, but the same thing applies here. Are they really that wise?

Honestly I just see us going from one clusterfuck to another, none of the wars so far have had a definite conclusion, whether the participants are experienced or not. There is a reason for that.
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:48   Link #102
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

The first episode was simply AMAZING. I couldn't have asked for a better adaptation; it was faithful to the novel, drawing out the same feelings I had as when I was reading the novel. Adding great animation to an amazing story? Pure win. Pretty ecstatic about future episodes.
Old 2011-10-02, 00:49   Link #103
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I watched the first 15 minutes and it gives more depth and pathos about certain characters than the entirety of the fate/stay nght anime. 15 minutes of this had more content than that POS movie. Will keep watching. I could say the same about the artwork and frame rates, but continuing...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 00:57   Link #104
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarfrost View Post
another 2/7 are members of an apparently patriarchal, conservative organization... So it makes sense to me for there to be a lack of gender diversity.
There's no reason to assume that mages are patriarchal. Tokiomi's heir is Rin, and not in a "marry her off to a good family" way. He teaches her magic and expects her to follow in his footsteps. So in that sense it's pretty clear that mages are at least somewhat post-feminist. Also, there were a number of female students in Waver's class, and given how elistist the teacher already is, why would he even bother teaching people who he thought weren't even capable of growing into mages over a few generations?

So in that sense, having no female Masters from the Magic Society side of things is a bit of a stretch already. Well, that only accounts for 3/7, so it's not too absurd, but saying that it's more realistic to have no women just makes no sense given what we know about mages.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:01   Link #105
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Holy shit!!! Wow, Type-Moon never disappoint us 47 mins of pure awesomeness. Though I would have liked to see what really happened behind the scenes related to Waver tricking the Canadian old couple or Iris being a homunculus oh, and the reason as to why Kiriya left his magus position due his father being a complete a**hole too... Oh well, wish they clear out in the future.

I personally liked the graphics and character development. They where far better developed than FSN imho... 10/10
Old 2011-10-02, 01:10   Link #106
hoarfrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
There's no reason to assume that mages are patriarchal. Tokiomi's heir is Rin, and not in a "marry her off to a good family" way. He teaches her magic and expects her to follow in his footsteps. So in that sense it's pretty clear that mages are at least somewhat post-feminist. Also, there were a number of female students in Waver's class, and given how elistist the teacher already is, why would he even bother teaching people who he thought weren't even capable of growing into mages over a few generations?

So in that sense, having no female Masters from the Magic Society side of things is a bit of a stretch already. Well, that only accounts for 3/7, so it's not too absurd, but saying that it's more realistic to have no women just makes no sense given what we know about mages.
I'll cede that as my understanding is subjective, when I hear of long lineages and family heads it's pretty much always in the context of patriarchy, especially when a Japanese person is telling me about it. Considering how conservative the Association is, it wouldn't surprise me that prominent female magi are a pretty recent thing.
hoarfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:14   Link #107
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
I dunno, they may have experience, but the same thing applies here. Are they really that wise?

Honestly I just see us going from one clusterfuck to another, none of the wars so far have had a definite conclusion, whether the participants are experienced or not. There is a reason for that.
of course they are not wise, if they were wise they wouldn't be in this fight.

Every single master in this fight knows what at stake. No one is heading into this contest with lofty ideal. They all want something that they think obtaining the Grail will give them their wish. The Masters know this is a fight to the death. The weak will perish, Only the strong and Merciless will survive.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:21   Link #108
TJR

7/10

Great art, great setup, nice pacing, good voiceovers.

3 points docked for the visual presentation. Steins;Gate proved that exposition heavy material can be coupled with interesting storyboards and layouts. However, this episode was one step away from slide show status. The cost cutting was extreme (lots of shots with characters in the distance and no motion except for a tiny mouth flapping; lots of shots with the speaker off-screen; close ups with upper bodies moving straight across the screen. It's actually the worst I've seen in a long time), although I assume that future episodes will have more to offer.

Good art =/= good animation. I'll have to withhold judgment on the latter for now, but what little there was didn't look bad.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:21   Link #109
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Every single master in this fight knows what at stake. No one is heading into this contest with lofty ideal.
Well, at the moment, I'd say Weaver doesn't fully comprehend the situation he put himself into. He is more like an obnoxious child trying to prove how great he is. He might understand that this will be a death match, but he doesn't understand how grave and scary such things actually is. As for Caster's master... well, we will see in next episode.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:21   Link #110
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
of course they are not wise, if they were wise they wouldn't be in this fight.

Every single master in this fight knows what at stake. No one is heading into this contest with lofty ideal. They all want something that they think obtaining the Grail will give them their wish. The Masters know this is a fight to the death. The weak will perish, Only the strong and Merciless will survive.
Actually I would argue Waver is going in with the ideal of proving that any mage can be just as good independent on their bloodline. He's in way over his head though.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:22   Link #111
TwilightsCall

Send a message via MSN to TwilightsCall
As far as lack of gender diversity among the masters, I look at it this way...

-Kiritsugu, Kotomine, and Tokiomi are all required to be male because of inference from Fate/Stay Night.
-Kayneth pretty much has to be male for reasons that will be presented later on
-Caster's master has a personality that would be very difficult to stretch to a female character, in my opinion at least
-Kariya has to be male, or else he'd lose a very key element to his character development later in the plot

Waver could have been female I suppose, but as with some of the other masters, it kind of draws the plot into a direction that the author clearly had no desire to explore.

In my opinion, at least.
TwilightsCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:25   Link #112
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

So it seems Waver is the only master capable of actually being a female plot-wise. Either way things still to be good in some sense.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:25   Link #113
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Actually I would argue Waver is going in with the ideal of proving that any mage can be just as good independent on their bloodline. He's in way over his head though.
but it is not a lofty ideal.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:26   Link #114
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
While it was extremely dialogue heavy, (I guess that part where they kept walking around Kotomine was a bit too much) it was a powerful opener.

Despite my previous knowledge of the series, it in no way hindered my enjoyment of things to come. The last 5 minutes of this episode was dare I say it "fucking epic" and it was amazing to hear Saber ask "I ask of you, Are you my master?"; just as amazing as the first time I heard it and perhaps even more.

There is already a certain level of depth present in the characters thus far. Kotomine, despite the fact that I know of his malice and cold ambition is presented with a certain aura, as Emiya would suggest "what does he want?" and that he is very dangerous. Poor Sakura had to go thorugh a ton of shit and so did Kariya-- the torture has almost completely drained his body and soul. One wonders how Sakura and him are still alive. How much would you sacrifice for someone?

On a side note, the old jackass is voiced by the same guy who did Washizu from Akagi and Hyodo from Kaiji (Masane Tsukayama) He's very good with insane old men.

Oh and, Ilya's mom is fucking hot.

And young Rin proves that she was always awesome.

If it wasn't obvious enough, I enjoyed this episode greatly, so I give this episode the highest I will for a premiere (in the hopes of something even better)-- 9/10

Down with Deen, Long live Ufotable!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:31   Link #115
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

When we're done complaining about sexism in a fictional story, let's move on to why aren't there any blacks in these magi social circles. Just putting it out there, in case we run out of inane topics in the six more days till episode two arrives.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:33   Link #116
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
While, it was extremely dialogue heavy, (I guess that part where they kept walking around Kotomine was a bit too much) it was a powerful opener.

Despite my previous knowledge of the series, it in no way hindered my enjoyment of things to come. The last 5 minutes of this episode was dare I say it "fucking epic" and it was amazing to hear Saber ask "I ask of you, Are you my master?"; just as amazing as the first time I heard it and perhaps even more.
The music started playing, the summoning started taking place. I was getting hyped for the epicness that would follow it, I was not disappointed I suppose Kiritsugu was surprised that Saber was a female judging by his reaction? (Wait did I get the right master?? There are so many )

Quote:
10/10 agree with you there.

Quote:
And young Rin proves that she was always awesome.
Rin, able to bad-mouth a master even at her age is inspiring in a sense.

This episode is able to get a 9.5/10 because it's already getting me hyped on what will happen next. The heavy-dialogue was well-placed and even though there was no action. We can already tell that it's going to get heavy in the future episodes.
Old 2011-10-02, 01:37   Link #117
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
That's a given considering how hot Ilya is
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 01:40   Link #118
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Ahem! I believe you are trespassing upon my territory. Just thought I'd throw you the heads-up. ^_^
Old 2011-10-02, 01:42   Link #119
Jean Claymore
Former #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Eh hot? The Kawaii truck really must've gotten you. I mean by your lolicon taste, no offense
Old 2011-10-02, 01:45   Link #120
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Ahem! I believe you are trespassing upon my territory. Just thought I'd throw you the heads-up. ^_^
But you abandoned your Illya avvie!
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote