AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2013-09-29, 11:32   Link #9561
GlassesLady
dat apple

The apple was in the ending credits too. Not that that helps. Personally I'm just gonna guess that Hata got into Ikuhara's drug stash and decided to try some out. >> (I kind of get the feeling it represents Nagi and Hayate's relationship or something, though.)

I sure hope Hayate has something better planned for his little trip than making Nagi have a breakdown...

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 11:44   Link #9562
madmac

Quote:
(I kind of get the feeling it represents Nagi and Hayate's relationship or something, though.)
Probably!

I sure hope this is one of those things that makes more sense in Japan. I mean, I grasp the symbolism but it all just seems so assumed.
madmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 11:44   Link #9563
II Maestro

Chapter 410 came true in chapter 423

Hahaha .... Nagi spilling ink on her manuscript, Looks like Nagi's fortune on the previous chapters hit the mark she really is a loser.
Old 2013-09-29, 11:50   Link #9564
zibi88

nagi needs to grow up.... she thinks hayate belongs to her and he will remain forever with her like that becosue she is she and that hayate will only look on her... who was lazy as s..t for whole series... giving hayate the hard time

she never really did anything for hayate except paying that pocket money of 150milion yen when she was so rich... she was allways the one in demand while she never really cared about what hayate wants and what he feels

nagi needs to finally understand that the guy wont be allways her buttler and sooner or later he will leave and start his own family and life with person he has feelings for be it athena, ruka or hina

nagi is selfish like all girls... but she just started to see that she cant draw her manga with half-assed feelings.... doing manga in order to have hayate do her laundry,food and do her stuff and become again lazy is just no good.... she should realize that she should draw not for others but generally for herself.... if it was her long dream she should focus on that

personaly I want ruka to win... only for her to drop the idea of forced marriage with hayate... if he will love her like that he will marry with her not becouse of a promise but becouse he really loves her.... ruka is kinda in rush thinking she might lose him... but understands that he is the first person who trully understands her pain

nagi needs to grow up becouse she never felt pain as she was surrounded by money and had everything... to the poin she belived she can even buy someones feelings... but hayate said he doesnt plan to stay a buttler forever and will leave one day and so nagi should find her path in life

I root for ruka, athena or hina... I just dont want the series to end the usuall boring way where the main male char ends up with the main female char whatever it takes or how many other females appear in the story... its just plain boring.... I just want hayate to marry ruka, athena or hina and have a happy life... while nagi chases after her mangaka life dream and creates stories that milions love...
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 11:53   Link #9565
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassesLady View Post
Oh god. This I did not see coming. Wow. Uh.

(What's with the apple?)
Hopefully, we'll finally get some answers. The apple symbolism in CTMEOY really started irritating me by the time the series was over because it was never explained. I believe Dolly was an epimeliad, an apple tree nymph, based on the story that Ruka told. But who knows if that actually will play a part in all of this or not.

Apples can symbolize renewal of life and the symbol of immortality, which would play into the King Midas aspect of the story. Since Nagi's motivation is in part based on her desire to return to the mansion and thus her inheritance, then I suppose the apple could play into that aspect of the story.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-29, 12:07   Link #9566
madmac

Love stories are, by and large, not meant to be mysterious. That aside...

Quote:
Hopefully, we'll finally get some answers. The apple symbolism in CTMEOY really started irritating me by the time the series was over because it was never explained. I believe Dolly was an epimeliad, an apple tree nymph, based on the story that Ruka told. But who knows if that actually will play a part in all of this or not.

Apples can symbolize renewal of life and the symbol of immortality, which would play into the King Midas aspect of the story. Since Nagi's motivation is in part based on her desire to return to the mansion and thus her inheritance, then I suppose the apple could play into that aspect of the story.
That's an interesting point, especially about the Dryad. But yeah, CTMEOY was strangely obtuse in places for no good reason.

Also, reminds me a bit of Nagi's monologue about the stone of bonds in the most recent Viz volume. Among other things she mentions the stones being able to grant "Love beyond eternity". For that matter, Dr Kuroso's speech to Nagi sounds very much like what someone looking for a stone would say. I'm not sure I trust that character.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-29 at 12:26.
Old 2013-09-29, 12:27   Link #9567
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Probably!

I sure hope this is one of those things that makes more sense in Japan. I mean, I grasp the symbolism but it all just seems so assumed.
Oh, yes, that too. Indeed.

And it doesn't seem that way. I think we're just gonna have to wait and see. ._. Unless Hata's gonna play up the "forbidden love between mistress and butler" angle, but I'm not sure that ever even existed to begin with.

Old 2013-09-29, 12:29   Link #9568
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibi88 View Post
nagi needs to grow up becouse she never felt pain as she was surrounded by money and had everything...
And her life was in danger from her early childhood to present. Hayate ended up jumping back in time to save Nagi from being killed. For years afterward, Nagi was negatively affected because this person who saved her back then lied to her. Outside of her core friends (Isumi, Sakuya, Wataru), Maria, Klaus, and maybe her security force, Nagi didn't trust people because they were only after her inheritance. We still don't know why Himegami left her service.

Not only that, but Nagi is an orphan. She may have buried the pain of the loss of her parents with her money, but the pain was always there. Look at her reaction to Sakuya's birthday party when she sees Sakuya and some of her siblings playing with their father. There's no doubt that she misses her mother. She may never have known her father, but even still, I think she misses him too on a certain level -- she wishes she had parents like other people have.

Has Nagi been selfish? You bet. That selfishness was born from the fires of the troubles and pain she's had to endure. Money doesn't solve problems, and Nagi now knows that. I think she's always known that at some level, but she's gaining a deeper understanding of it. Hayate vowed to always be with her, but she's now aware that she can't always call on him, even if he does come.

What I'm curious about is the flashback Nagi had just prior to the apple image, where she says, "I'll just lose horribly like I did back then." I don't recognize the imagery shown there -- Nagi running away and someone holding bars and grimacing. It looks like it could be Maria, but for some reason, the image of Nagi running away made me think of Yukariko.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

Old 2013-09-29, 12:36   Link #9569
madmac

Quote:
What I'm curious about is the flashback Nagi had just prior to the apple image, where she says, "I'll just lose horribly like I did back then." I don't recognize the imagery shown there -- Nagi running away and someone holding bars and grimacing. It looks like it could be Maria, but for some reason, the image of Nagi running away made me think of Yukariko.
Pretty sure that's from the first Nagi/Ruka manga face-off, where Ruka crushed her.
Old 2013-09-29, 12:39   Link #9570
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Pretty sure that's from the first Nagi/Ruka manga face-off, where Ruka crushed her.
Who's the person holding the bars?

Old 2013-09-29, 12:43   Link #9571
madmac

Quote:
Who's the person holding the bars?
It's Nagi. She runs up to the roof, grabs the fence, and screams after realizing how badly she failed.

In other things I complain about but secretly like, Alice is adorable in this chapter.
Old 2013-09-29, 12:58   Link #9572
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
It's Nagi. She runs up to the roof, grabs the fence, and screams after realizing how badly she failed.
Yeah, you are probably right. I need to look at the chapter again.

Update: Chapter 335 is where Nagi runs to the roof and screams after realizing how much better Ruka was at manga than she. However, that chapter does not contain the imagery showing in this chapter. The other flashback moments were taken from specific chapters and it is very possible that the flashback I'm referencing may be from a specific chapter too. It is unusual to draw new stuff for flashbacks of things already shown in the manga.

Last edited by AstroNerdBoy; 2013-09-29 at 13:19.
Old 2013-09-29, 13:48   Link #9573
GlassesLady
dat apple

I think we got a flash forward of that scene before it actually happened. The flashback images might be taken from whichever of those you're not looking at, assuming Hata drew separate version for both of those to begin with.

... On further thought, I can see the "forbidden fruit" thing tying in to the quest for the "Power of Royalty", but I don't see what that has to do with Nagi and Hayate directly.

Old 2013-09-29, 13:49   Link #9574
madmac

Checked Chapter 290 on a hunch, but no. (Now that I think about it Nagi has been put through the wringer this arc. )

It's actually from Chapter 268, the color preview of what was to come right after Mykonos ended. That's kinda awesome.

Quote:
... On further thought, I can see the "forbidden fruit" thing tying in to the quest for the "Power of Royalty", but I don't see what that has to do with Nagi and Hayate directly.
I suspect that ultimately the Power of Royalty is something that Nagi and Hayate will have to accept/reject/deal with in some way by the end of the manga but I have no idea what to expect specifically.

Last edited by madmac; 2013-09-29 at 14:00.
Old 2013-09-29, 14:26   Link #9575
ChampDream
Alive

so it look like everything is starting to connect to CTMEOY.
Old 2013-09-29, 14:34   Link #9576
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
I suspect that ultimately the Power of Royalty is something that Nagi and Hayate will have to accept/reject/deal with in some way by the end of the manga but I have no idea what to expect specifically.
That's almost assuredly true- they're the main characters, after all- but it doesn't mean anything for them now, so... -shrug-

If Hata just wanted to pick out a cute fruit to symbolise their relationship, though, he could have gone with persimmons, which they actually have some history with- aside from the White Day chapter, there's some promotional art with the two of them picking persimmons- so the apple must mean something, right? But what?

... You know, this is what I really like about this manga. It sometimes seems like nothing but comedy nonsense that never gets anywhere but there's this great plot underlying anything, weaved in in all sorts of places you might not expect, and then every now and then you look back and go "wow, look at all this foreshadowing and stuff". But if it was just the plot it wouldn't be nearly as fun.

Old 2013-09-29, 14:53   Link #9577
Seitsuki
Onee!

About the apple: I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Apple of Discord also in Greek mythology. Both feature a guy all the girls want with no luck to save their lives, and both feature goddesses vying for him.

As for who he picks...well, evidently it wasn't A-tan q_q
Old 2013-09-29, 15:47   Link #9578
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
About the apple: I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Apple of Discord also in Greek mythology. Both feature a guy all the girls want with no luck to save their lives, and both feature goddesses vying for him.
This definitely makes the most sense so far. Nice catch.

... Except that it's been more associated with Nagi than Hayate, and hasn't been linked to the other girls at all (expect maybe Ruka if you count the ending credits). ._.;

Old 2013-09-29, 15:57   Link #9579
madmac

Quote:
... Except that it's been more associated with Nagi than Hayate, and hasn't been linked to the other girls at all
I'll have you know there was a stretch of chapters where Nagi found herself hugged or head-patted by like half the female cast.

(It was around the time she met Ashibashi Sensei and went emo, I admit.)
Old 2013-09-29, 16:09   Link #9580
GlassesLady
dat apple

Quote:
I'll have you know there was a stretch of chapters where Nagi found herself hugged or head-patted by like half the female cast.

(It was around the time she met Ashibashi Sensei and went emo, I admit.)
Spoiler alert: This series is actually about Nagi's harem, not Hayate's. :P

(I really need to reread this damn series at some point gah)

Tags
comedy, shounen