AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-06-28, 10:20   Link #321
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, Root B review time!

Spoiler for Root B review:
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 13:56   Link #322
shadowplay
passive observer

Thanks for your impressions/reviews, sounds like great game so far.
Average rating on erogamescape is not that amazing though; 83/100, not bad but not nearly as high as Ever17 (which is 90+ I think). Could be that C and D routes are not nearly as good as A and B ones.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 14:11   Link #323
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
Thanks for your impressions/reviews, sounds like great game so far.
Average rating on erogamescape is not that amazing though; 83/100, not bad but not nearly as high as Ever17 (which is 90+ I think). Could be that C and D routes are not nearly as good as A and B ones.
That's my only real fear right now- that the resolution/answers won't be nearly as good as all the buildup in the first half of the game promises. Because even the greatest of stories can crash if they have disappointing conclusions.
Old 2012-06-28, 16:59   Link #324
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, Root C review.

Spoiler for Root C review:
Old 2012-07-01, 23:41   Link #325
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Okay, here's my Root D review:

Spoiler for Root D Review:

And here's my overall game review.

Spoiler for Root Double Overall Review:

Last edited by GundamAce; 2012-07-02 at 00:27.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:30   Link #326
MidoriHiME

I might have to buy a copy of this game even though I have no way of playing it, just to increase sales so a computer port is more likely. That is how much I want to play this game after reading this review.

How many years after I/O debuted did it get a PC port?
Old 2012-07-02, 04:48   Link #327
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriHiME View Post
I might have to buy a copy of this game even though I have no way of playing it, just to increase sales so a computer port is more likely. That is how much I want to play this game after reading this review.

How many years after I/O debuted did it get a PC port?
2 1/2 years. Though to be fair, the PC port had extras that the PS2 version didn't, particularly giving sprites to many characters who lacked sprites in the PS2 version. There were certainly a few characters who lacked sprites in this game that could have used them.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention this, but I clocked in at about 72 hours. It's partly due to my Japanese reading speed, but it's still way longer than Ever17.

Last edited by GundamAce; 2012-07-02 at 08:22.
Old 2012-07-26, 13:40   Link #328
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Good news, everyone! Root Double is getting a PC port, which will be out on September 28th!
Old 2012-07-26, 14:02   Link #329
MidoriHiME

This is probably the best news ever. Any chance we could get a translation of this before 12Riven? <.<
Old 2012-07-26, 14:15   Link #330
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriHiME View Post
This is probably the best news ever. Any chance we could get a translation of this before 12Riven? <.<
Well, I'd rather translate 12Riven beforehand because it's been out longer, and I believe that games that have been out in Japan longer deserve the spotlight in English first before the more recent games. So no, I'll probably do this after 12Riven. Plus, this game is much longer than 12Riven, so 12Riven will take a lot shorter to do than this.
Old 2012-07-26, 16:42   Link #331
Elvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
Good news, everyone! Root Double is getting a PC port, which will be out on September 28th!
YATTA
Awsome news.
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-31, 22:24   Link #332
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Last month, a character popularity poll was conducted on Root Double's website for the characters, which ended a few days ago with 5110 votes cast. I figured I might as well post the results of the poll here.

1. Yuuri
2. Louise
3. Mashiro
4. Watase
5. Ai Shimizu's character
6. Kazami
7. Jun
8. Ena
9. Natsuhiko
10. Miyoko
11. Ukita
12. Momoko Ohara's character

Yuuri actually only beat Louise by 5 votes (1295 to 1290).
Old 2012-08-23, 19:11   Link #333
shadowplay
passive observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
Wow, sooner than anyone thought...

Btw. Nakazawa-san was featured at exp-inc ustream program this week talking about Root Double and stuff for over an hour, stream is recorded here if anyone's interested http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24883067
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 07:10   Link #334
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Well, just one week to go until the PC version release!

On that note, I got the novelizations of Roots A and B today. Since both of them were written by Souki Tsukishima, the game's screenplay writer, it's more or less an exact replica of the VN (I only skimmed it, but they seemed to have kept pretty much everything, minus the visuals, sound, and voice acting, naturally).

The only real difference of note that I saw was that while the VN is written in third person, the novels are written in first person from Watase and Natsuhiko's perspectives in their respective routes.

I also went to this event where they gave out this booklet/magazine of sorts for Root Double, and in it was an announcement that the novelization of Root C is scheduled for October 2nd, while Root D's is scheduled for November 2nd.
Old 2012-09-21, 23:46   Link #335
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Also, now that we're almost at release time and that it's been nearly three months since I finished the game, I figured I should give a slightly revised, less biased opinion on it.

Spoiler for Revised opinion:
Old 2012-09-28, 01:18   Link #336
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Well, I got the Root Double PC version... but my computer can't even read the disc. Just great.

Can anyone possibly help me? According to the box, it says my disc drive (I have a Blu-Ray drive) needs a comp speed of at least 8, but I don't know what that means.
Old 2012-10-01, 09:47   Link #337
Dusk

You mean disc drive reading speed? Far as I know, 2x Bluray is about 5-6x DVD speed. So if this game requires 8X DVD speed, you gotta have a higher than 2x BD reading speed on your BD drive.
Dusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 02:54   Link #338
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Hey, I've announced it elsewhere, but Root Double is now getting a PS3 port, called the "Xtend Edition". Because it's not just a port, it has new content as well. The content includes:

-New CGs
-New Endings
-Revised gameplay
-Some slightly altered scenes in order to increase the excitement factor.
-A mode unlocked after you've cleared the game that allows you to view deleted scenes ultimately left out of the final version.

Really looking forward to this. Hope it gets a PC release too, though I'm not counting on it.
Old 2013-08-03, 07:14   Link #339
denlee

Hmm, how good should me Japanese be to fully enjoy this game? I know it's very subjective, but anyway.
I can manage normal spoken conversation with anyone about pretty much anything (or interpreting in automotive factories, maybe ), but it's pretty hard to understand very specific topics (with police, military, yakuza, science etc. vocabulary, which is pretty difficult even in English), especially in TV or games. Reading is worse, about between JLPT N2 and N1 (I can read Chinese better which helps at times though). I just finished Steins;Gate in English and all the scientific and nerd words were so hard I couldn't really understand the Japanese dub and relied on English subs heavily at some points (time travel theories, Large Hadron Collider explanation, world line divergences and stuff).

Do you think it may be playable (and enjoyable) for me under this conditions? I haven't played a VN in English yet so I myself have no idea. Thank you!
denlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 19:01   Link #340
VDZ

I doubt it. VN narration tends to be real tough for a beginner (and unvoiced), and Nakazawa's games tend to be very heavy on the in-depth science use and explanations.

The general advice tends to be to go for standard moege (typical high school romance VNs with no serious plot) first, since they use easy language and are generally easier to follow.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visual novel