AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-12, 18:37   Link #141
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Just watched episode 05.. boy was it amazing, & all i wanna say is if Matsumaru isn't aloud to play that game.. then i won't too. ^^;
Old 2006-03-14, 07:49   Link #142
wao
OK.

LOL, episode 6 was hilarious - even if a little bit contrived/predictable - I loved the way Matsumaru had his mouth open and was going "H..h...h...h..a?" and his boss put a leaf inside it! Also the cameo of 2channel!
Teramoesu... teraerosu... Jisakuotsu... Warosu... The way they were scrutinizing the picture, it's hilarious. Shiroiki-! And matsumaru-kun's colleague was using a Vaio... Is it a reference to the sasuga brothers?

I really like the way the show portrays their changing relationship though. It's quite realistic, actually.
Old 2006-03-14, 08:43   Link #143
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm still of the mind that "big guy" is going to provide the crisis between the two that will either cement their love or drive them apart. Maybe its my long immersion in corporate nonsense but he's definitely riding on Masumaru's rising star and the steady move into Aka's "personal space" is pretty obvious - though she hasn't said anything yet. I suppose its too much to hope for a nice simple "Lamune" convergence
Been a great series so far and I'm pretty sad its so short - though it is a clever exercise in story telling.
Old 2006-03-14, 14:42   Link #144
_yeah
poseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
And matsumaru-kun's colleague was using a Vaio...
It's not a vaio, it's A VATO!
_yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 21:06   Link #145
Srin Tuar
無謀

ep 7 raw:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-03-17 at 10:05.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 12:08   Link #146
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Just watched ep.7.
Spoiler for Ep.7:
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 13:55   Link #147
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
ep 7 raw:
Spoiler:
According to this excellent post in this excellent thread, seiyuu never make much money. Most seiyuu, even well-known ones, make only about $20-30 per episode. Only the veterans who do Doraemon, etc., get in the hundreds of dollars (i.e., in the 10,000s of Yen). kj1980 mentions that Ochiai Yurika, a middle-ranking young seiyuu (Konomi in ToHeart2, Keiko in Uta~Kata, Rara in the Futakois), had so little money that she couldn't pay her electricity bill and her power was cut off.
Spoiler for ep7:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 14:10   Link #148
Srin Tuar
無謀

At those rates, the cost of sending 4 people on a trip for the campaign, plus letting then stay in a nice place
with a rotenburo would then equal 10's of years of her voice acting effort. She's got to be
earning some cash somehow. (perhaps not a whole lot yet) I mean she was planning on getting
herself an apartment within a few days- and considering her only income, that means she
must be earning something. (you could argue that this show is utterly unrealistic, and that
all VA's must live in their parents basements, but in the world of REC at least, shes getting
paid enough to scrape by, despite being a virtual nobody)

plus matsumaru's not exactly rich either.
Old 2006-03-17, 14:41   Link #149
wao
OK.

She was planning on getting an apartment, but notice the dire- I mean, the manager () said that she probably wouldn't get one - the nuance I got was that she knew Aka was just saying that to sound like she was moving forward but she wasn't going to get a new house any time soon yet. She just didn't want to stay with Matsumaru at that point of time.

I think the trip was sponsored by Matsumaru's company, after all it was a campaign to sell their Ha! product, right? So they decided to take Aka along as well.

It wasn't such a good episode to me, it just felt really rushed and contrived. What a pathetic way to resolve things, meh.
Old 2006-03-17, 14:52   Link #150
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
At those rates, the cost of sending 4 people on a trip for the campaign, plus letting then stay in a nice place
with a rotenburo would then equal 10's of years of her voice acting effort. She's got to be
earning some cash somehow. (perhaps not a whole lot yet) I mean she was planning on getting
herself an apartment within a few days- and considering her only income, that means she
must be earning something. (you could argue that this show is utterly unrealistic, and that
all VA's must live in their parents basements, but in the world of REC at least, shes getting
paid enough to scrape by, despite being a virtual nobody)

plus matsumaru's not exactly rich either.
Three words for you: corporate expense accounts

If it's part of the job, it's all paid for by corporate expense. Matsumaru's expenses are paid for by that snack company, the manager and Aka's expense is paid by the talent agency. Hatada even said "I'm tagging along from my own pocket since I'm worried about Matsumaru-kun (read: Matsumaru-kun is a lucky bastard, I'll come along so I too can be with Aka-chan)." Hence, Matsumaru, the manager, and Aka didn't pay a single yen for this expense (exceptions maybe, see below). The only one who did was Hatada.

A lot of seiyuus live by - corporate expense. The talent agency pays for her trips and stays at hotels as travel and "miscellaneous" expenses. Much like any other country, the more the company claims as "coporate expense" on their behalf, the less tax they have to pay when tax season comes along. Hence, seiyuus do get by with cheap pay. The talent agency can pay for her (and her managers') travel expenses, hotel fees, dress rentals, and even foods at parties - all under "corporate expense." Of course, some companies are stingy, while some are more lenient. "Foods at the hotel is paid for...but if you want alcohol (beers), that comes out of your pocket." Or "your plane ticket is covered...but if you want meal for purchase - that comes from your own pocket." It's practically the same in any other company.

If a seiyuu needs to go to a certain director's drinking bash to "promote" herself, well the director lavishes his own money. But that really isn't the director's money as well. If he has a sponsor supporting him, that "pay" comes from that expense account which he can write off as "miscellaneous" expense as well.

Welcome to capitalism - if you can write it off as "expense," you will write it off as expense. That's the business world in any corporate society.

Hey - when I go to overseas travel for business, you think it comes out of my own money? You can bullshit your way to write off many things as "business expense" to your company. Take for example, my passport renewal fees. Hey, I can B.S. saying that "I don't need a passport - but I need it for business when I make overseas trips." Bam! Saves me close to 30,000 yen that I don't have to pay for.

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-03-17 at 15:51.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 17:36   Link #151
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Three words for you: corporate expense accounts

If it's part of the job, it's all paid for by corporate expense. Matsumaru's expenses are paid for by that snack company, the manager and Aka's expense is paid by the talent agency. Hatada even said "I'm tagging along from my own pocket since I'm worried about Matsumaru-kun (read: Matsumaru-kun is a lucky bastard, I'll come along so I too can be with Aka-chan)." Hence, Matsumaru, the manager, and Aka didn't pay a single yen for this expense (exceptions maybe, see below). The only one who did was Hatada.

A lot of seiyuus live by - corporate expense. The talent agency pays for her trips and stays at hotels as travel and "miscellaneous" expenses. Much like any other country, the more the company claims as "coporate expense" on their behalf, the less tax they have to pay when tax season comes along. Hence, seiyuus do get by with cheap pay. The talent agency can pay for her (and her managers') travel expenses, hotel fees, dress rentals, and even foods at parties - all under "corporate expense." Of course, some companies are stingy, while some are more lenient. "Foods at the hotel is paid for...but if you want alcohol (beers), that comes out of your pocket." Or "your plane ticket is covered...but if you want meal for purchase - that comes from your own pocket." It's practically the same in any other company.

If a seiyuu needs to go to a certain director's drinking bash to "promote" herself, well the director lavishes his own money. But that really isn't the director's money as well. If he has a sponsor supporting him, that "pay" comes from that expense account which he can write off as "miscellaneous" expense as well.

Welcome to capitalism - if you can write it off as "expense," you will write it off as expense. That's the business world in any corporate society.

Hey - when I go to overseas travel for business, you think it comes out of my own money? You can bullshit your way to write off many things as "business expense" to your company. Take for example, my passport renewal fees. Hey, I can B.S. saying that "I don't need a passport - but I need it for business when I make overseas trips." Bam! Saves me close to 30,000 yen that I don't have to pay for.
やっと納得ができました

someone should cross-post this into the industry lifestyle thread. I felt something
was missing from the story, and this really fills in the blanks.

I can really imagine the lifestyle- essentially living off of corporate expense accounts,
and spending most of your time in hotels and such venues. In addition to converting
a payroll expense into a business expense and dogding tons of taxes, this practice
must really make the VA's totally beholden to their employers. When they are paying
for your lodging, transportation, food, and clothing out of their pockets, while only
giving you 20$ in pocket change, it must be pretty hard to quit a gig. And hard to save
money. And hard to really ever own anything. When the boss is happy, you live the
high life. When he's feeling stingy, you might not have a place to sleep. It almost
seems like living in a stable: you are owned by the agency in all but name.
Old 2006-03-17, 22:55   Link #152
wao
OK.

Well, it seems like to some companies their seiyuu just seem like products they want to sell better... Although Aka's producer's method of "managing her work and personal life" is something I wouldn't really want, I don't think I'd appreciate my boss nosing into my own affairs! But I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

I still way prefer ep 6 in terms of story and execution... even with the silly scenario, I can't help but chuckle at shiroi-ki~
Old 2006-03-18, 02:40   Link #153
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

she's one of the managers you'd probably prefer actually .... "happy workers == productive reliable workers" in her book. I'm sure there are some that dropkick a VA the instant they have a bad day because a boyfriend dumped them, they can't pay the bills, yada yada.

This is clearly an activity you do because you love it or because the alternative is being an "elevator girl" or standing on a street corner hawking the latest tissue paper. Much of the reward is just like Aka tears up about.... "she remembered my voice". Until Animaniacs, I never really appreciated voicework (outside of Mel Blanc) --- now I try to make a point of finding who voices characters I enjoy and find some way to let them know I appreciate it. That turns out to be actually relatively difficult unless they have some sort of web presence of their own.

In America, we have the likes of Jesse Harnell, Tress MacNeille, Joe Alaskey, Rob Paulsen, Paul Rugg, and others...
People like Asakawa Yuu and Saito Chiwa and Horie Yui should get any feedback we can give them when we enjoy their antics (and I mean even a simple thank you --- not stalk them ).
Old 2006-03-18, 18:36   Link #154
Amuse
BECK

I'm going to download this series now but Lunar's episodes are in MKV, not AVI.
Is MKV divx or no?

Why didn't they just make it AVI?
Amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 21:01   Link #155
Srin Tuar
無謀

this is not the thread to complain about file formats.

go way.
Old 2006-03-18, 23:27   Link #156
SonicMonkey

Quote:
this is not the thread to complain about file formats.

go way.
First off, dude asked a legitimate question. You had time enough to snark him like an immature prat, but not enough to answer him.

Anyway to that poster: MKV files are just containers like AVI's are. That is to say, they are not actual codecs, but instead contain useful ways to organize and store various bits of information (different tracks, subtitles, etc). That being said I think if you use the DivX player it ought to work with mastroka files right out of the box? If you have problems viewing the files on a windows box you can check out this link:

http://packs.matroska.org/

As for the reason why to use MKV containers over AVI? Mastroka files are pretty robust and unlike the AVI format which is owned by Microsoft, MKV is in the public domain under the GNU LGPL. Plus it is pretty cool and maybe people are trying to support it ^_^

Anyway sorry if i got any of this information wrong... I am a engineer by trade but not a video guy really
SonicMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-18, 23:35   Link #157
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMonkey
First off, dude asked a legitimate question. You had time enough to snark him like an immature prat, but not enough to answer him.
this has been discussed to death in too many places.
despite agreeing with you, its still tantamount to spam here.

can we talk about the show pls

Edit:
PS, your link is suboptimal.
reading this is better:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=27313
(people who cant get mplayer running from cvs should run the windows CCCP,
otherwise they may end up wasting their time.)

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-03-18 at 23:46.
Old 2006-03-19, 00:58   Link #158
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Aka's manager has appeared in at least two other anime. What a stock character.

Anyway, I picked this up last night. I really enjoyed it and agree with everyone else that the episodes are amazingly dense. I got my hopes up after the first episode though. I thought for once we weren't going to have main characters who were inept at romance.

Does anyone else get the sense from the preview that Matsumaro is going to lose his job? (Or maybe we'll have one last relationship scare...)
riznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 02:59   Link #159
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I keep waiting for his so-called "buddy" to shaft him in the back. So far he's been coat-tail riding and just screwing things up. People who smile too much, are loud, and generally vanish when real work is afoot just set off my internal corporate bullshit alarms.
Old 2006-03-19, 14:38   Link #160
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
funny episode even though its not the greatest series it stills amuses me to watch. Espcially since the Manager knew of their relationship and maniplulated them into making up and her moving back in . But when they tried to explain the relationship that was classic because they really arent anything they just slept together that one time but they both do have feelings for one another. oh well kind of predictable but fun anyway

Tags
romance, seinen