AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-23, 12:46   Link #1
Stardust

Polygamy: What the ending REALLY should have been?

Reading through some of the more recent threads, I noticed an exchange about love and its being "selfish", and someone mentioned polygamy in a related comment. That, and also another exchange about the game ending where Taka ends up with all three main girls. So a question came to my mind: wouldn't THIS have made for a more satisfying ending? I mean, that would be the only way for everyone involved to be happy, and make no mistake, I believe that not only would the main characters be alright with it, they most likley would have been quite happy doing so and made it work. Why? See here:

1. Taka and his concept of "love" equating making his girl happy by any means (I believe PerishTheThought said so...), and his "love" for both girls. What better way to ease his guilt about hurting them than by devoting himself to both of them, never feeling bad about leaving one of them behind?

2. Haruka, after realising the truth about her coma, chose to be stoic and let him go. HOWEVER, she's shown to be willing to go to great lenghts for Taka's love (at least, at the end!), and somehow I wouldn't be shocked if she had chosen to share him with her best friend as a last resort. Might have even be happier that way, too.

3. Mitsuki has also shown that she'll go to any lenghts for Taka, even if everyone else thinks she's just messing up her life. She could also have been willing to share Taka with Haruka, as long as she felt that it would ensure her not being left behind. I mean, yes she was jealous of Haruka while Taka was visiting her, but that was her fear of Taka leaving her. But by sharing him with Haruka, she a) eases her own guilty conscience, b) doesn't have to let go of Taka, and c) can be reasonably certain that she won't be discarded in favor of Haruka.

What do you guys think?
Old 2006-04-23, 13:40   Link #2
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
polygamy FTW!

Always the best, why you think all the original H-game that some of these animes were based upon had that option?

its a win-win for everyone
Old 2006-04-23, 14:22   Link #3
idofgrahf

Send a message via MSN to idofgrahf
Except it won't make it to anime with out an AO rating, then it would never come to US because Bush and the rest would think it immoral or something.

But seriously, get real, KGNE is suppose to mirror real life, in Japan as in most countries Polygamy is not allowed, it would make a happy ending but not a realistic one, that and even if they all get married to taka they would still fight over him so...

Lacan/Grahf
Old 2006-04-23, 14:35   Link #4
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
polygamy FTW!

Always the best, why you think all the original H-game that some of these animes were based upon had that option?

its a win-win for everyone
Second that
Old 2006-04-23, 14:54   Link #5
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

In the end, Takayuki didn't really have strong feelings for either of them. So he should have had neither.

But. Polygamy ftw!
Old 2006-04-23, 15:57   Link #6
Stardust

Marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofgrahf
Except it won't make it to anime with out an AO rating, then it would never come to US because Bush and the rest would think it immoral or something.

But seriously, get real, KGNE is suppose to mirror real life, in Japan as in most countries Polygamy is not allowed, it would make a happy ending but not a realistic one, that and even if they all get married to taka they would still fight over him so...
To clarify, notice that I never said "marriage" before, I always thought more along the lines that they could have just as easily decided to have Taka date both girls, and that the girls could have been happy to keep this arrangement, again, if the ciscumstances had been different.
Old 2006-04-23, 15:59   Link #7
Stardust

Gadzooks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic
In the end, Takayuki didn't really have strong feelings for either of them. So he should have had neither.

But. Polygamy ftw!
OK, now THIS comment made wonder, what if the opposite had been true? What if instead of the girls deciding to share Taka to keep him fom leaving either one, they had just decided to dump him???
Old 2006-04-23, 17:39   Link #8
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
OK, now THIS comment made wonder, what if the opposite had been true? What if instead of the girls deciding to share Taka to keep him fom leaving either one, they had just decided to dump him???
The perfect solution Forget Taka and give us some yuri
Old 2006-04-24, 12:20   Link #9
Perishthethought

There's a certain wistful hopefulness that goes with having both girls with Taka, in that nobody ends up hurt, nobody ends up (overtly) upset, nobody ends up alone. However, Mitsuki in the series did demonstrate that she was unhappy with merely being 'Haruka's replacement' (in fact, she says those exact words numerous times). Mitsuki wants Taka, and not only that, she wants Taka for herself. She doesn't want to take another woman's place NOR does she want to share him with anybody else. Having Haruka in the relationship would destroy it for Mitsuki. She doesn't even like the mere thought of him being with another woman, it being enough to drive her to drink. Not only that, but Mitsuki would inevitably be competing for Taka's love with Haruka - Mitsuki's whole Shinji escapade was an attempt to make Taka show he loves her, and what's more, loves her more than Haruka. Mitsuki isn't even happy with Taka seeing Haruka (outside of the first time he goes to see her upon her waking). She doesn't want him anywhere near her - in fact, at one point, getting him in bed to stop him leaving and going to see her (episode 8). At this point, Mitsuki has been to see Haruka and has heard her talk all about how she "really, really likes Takayuki"and is fearful of Haruka stealing him away, even going to point of saying "she has eyes that draw you in"! So she greets Taka in doorway, and does a Mitsuki staple, she throws herself at him. In bed, she can't keep her mouth shut, and begins pushing for Taka to stay away from Haruka, eventually getting out of him that he is somehow still attached to her. The intention, for Taka, is to stay away, and he does admirably until he is convinced by Akane's appearance that something must be wrong with Haruka (taking a cab to the hospital instead of the bus because he's worried about her). It is in seeing Haruka again that Taka ALMOST crosses the Rubicon and ends up nearly going 'back to the festival', if you like Haruka style euphemisms. He stops, partly because of the scar tissue on her body reminding him of the accident (which I almost missed first time around) and the fact that he's in the present day, and a lot has happened since then, and partly for Mitsuki's sake. He very nearly got carried away then... Good job he didn't.

Haruka, similarly, would never tolerate having Taka with Mitsuki at the same time. I know some of you who have played the game will point towards the Haruka/Akane ending (mistress), but this just is an example of the difference in depiction between the game and anime. The Haruka of the anime will only consider Taka being with her under the proviso that he is with no other women - once she's had her relapse, and is mindful of the three year gap, she is aware that Taka might have other women on the go - so she asks him, up front, whether he has anyone. If he does, she doesn't want anything to do with him. Also, Haruka's obsession over Takayuki is to the extent that she wouldn't want anyone else with him. Haruka's infatuation (or, if you prefer Haruka euphemisms, 'fascination') over Takayuki stems from her having all his time to herself - whenever Haruka is left for an extended period by Takayuki, she thinks it's because she is 'hated'. We hear that little nugget a LOT over the course of the anime. There's no way she would tolerate another woman taking his time without feeling 'hated'. Taka would end up spending more time with her to compensate than Mitsuki, and inevitably, Mitsuki would end up feeling isolated and dejected, probably reaching for the bottle again, perhaps a random stranger as well to make Taka prove his love and provide an ultimatum over who he wants more.

Taka himself wouldn't string two women along. Taka, contrary to popular opinion, sees himself as a one woman guy. Kind of hard to believe when he's tongue wrestling with Haruka in the hospital room, with Mitsuki waiting at home, but Taka's intention at numerous points in the anime is to stay away from Haruka, and if he has to go, to maintain a safe emotional distance. He DOESN'T want to get involved with more than one woman - it's his intention in this respect that is admirable HOWEVER he feels inordinate amounts of guilt when somebody ends up feeling bad, and coupled with his inability to disappoint people and let them feel unhappy, he can't say no to Haruka. A sick girl in a hospital bed telling you she's been so lonely without you is difficult to say no to. A sick girl etc. who was also at one point the love of your life is VERY difficult to say no to. You've got to feel for poor Taka - but it is never his intention to string two women along. If anything, he'd probably abhorr the idea if you put it to him... but inevitably he ends up in a triangle. Taka doesn't WANT to be in this triangle. He wants to give one woman his love... It's just the decision over who it should be that ricochets round his brain like a stray bullet. He does love them both, and as far as he can tell, they've both done nothing wrong. Taka bases his decision on who to love not on what they have done for him, but what he can do for them COUPLED with any ways they might have failed him/done something wrong. Neither woman failed him, even Mitsuki's affair was a cry for help caused by Taka's disinterest and her neurosis, and he knows it. It tells you a lot about Taka's idea of love (in that his feelings aren't exclusive, it's his application of it that is) that he can have such affection for two quite different women and not be able to choose one over the other.

Of course, this is sort of a hopeful and quite funny topic so I apologise if I'm tearing up any illusions and depressing everyone! It's just as far as I can see, it would never happen! Not even in our wildest (or Taka's!) dreams.

BUT! There is some support for the polygamy angle. In Akane Maniax, the alterna-Taka, the mech piloting Taka that Gouda fights with, seems to have no trouble with two women. Even the logistics are quite well worked out! Those two have no qualms about sharing the poor swine... but then again, this is the ridiculous fantasy world. In addition, Muvluv Alternate features a dead Taka and a couple of NATO enrolled girls in the shape of Mitsuki and Haruka, who have a rivallry over his memory. They both end up dead, but the silver lining is that they can both 'be with him'. Better than nothing at all, no? I wonder if Taka put his foot down and said 'either I have both or none!' Would they put up with it? Doubtful... but we can wonder!
Old 2006-04-24, 16:58   Link #10
Stardust

Very good points.

Although you do have to wonder, just how far would the girls have been willing to go under different circumstances? Maybe if Haruka had been a little more clingy, and Mitsuki a little more desperate. You're right, Taka may not even contemplate doing such a thing, but since he's just unable to say "no" to either girl, I wonder what exactly could have happened if he hadn't been stopped cold by that scar. For all we know, he could have ended up unwittingly stringing both girls along, even if he didn't mean it in the end. Still, I suppose you are right and when they found out they probably would have made him choose one over the other. Now that I think about it, he STILL would have ended up with Mistuki then!!! I mean, most likely Haruka would have dumped him, but Mitsuki would have forgiven him, not just out of love but out of her own guilty conscience. Hmmm, I wonder...
Old 2006-04-24, 17:25   Link #11
Perishthethought

She wouldn't 'dump' him in any conventional sense - don't forget, she's obsessed with the guy. He's her primary focus, every day, all day, especially when she's in the hospital. The closest she gets to 'dumping' him is at the end where she gives him the 'gift of goodbye' so that he may be with Mitsuki. Over in the other thread I've attempted to give my reasons as to why I think she does this - it's commonly thought that this is Haruka's strength, but I think it is instead her weakness. She could have fought for Taka. She could also have maintained contact with him, confident in the knowledge that he wouldn't be able to give her up. Instead, she severed contact, told her she couldn't be friends with him or Mitsuki, and essentially said 'be on your merry way old friend, I don't love you anymore', when of course, she does. While it's true Haruka gave Taka a chance to be happy, and this is argued that it is out of overwhelming love for him, I think there's also a deal of Haruka feeling, and to a certain extent being, unable to compete with Mitsuki in her current state. She is, despite being in a wheelchair and barely able to walk, less of a charity case than Mitsuki for Taka. Haruka wants to do something, anything, for Taka just before he finishes with her. To that end, she gets herself motivated and attempts to get her legs working again, to prove to him that she can do things for him, that she isn't a charity case, that things could be good between them. Instead, she ends up removing Taka's main reason for being with her. She's shot herself in the foot - although I doubt she'd be able to feel it in that state. I apologise immediately for that joke on the grounds of bad taste.

That said, if you REALLY want to wildly speculate, the hilltop meeting itself could be just Haruka and Taka... Take a look at the starting sequence, and the bit of the song that mentions meeting on the hill again, right at the end, has a figure of a man and a woman under the tree. Looks like Haruka's outline... and a man, like Taka. Coupled with the hinted at 'years later' hilltop meeting detailed in Haruka's book... Just Taka?! No Mitsuki! Oh no!

Anyway, you all know my thoughts on Haruka still carrying a torch for Takayuki, break up or no break up. Meeting up again can only be a bad thing! He'll never be free of their grasp!
Old 2006-04-24, 22:09   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Well I agree that Mitsuki's love for Taka truley borderlines medical sickness...and I also agree that Haruka's realization that she couldn't compete with the 3 year gap Mitsuki had on her was the final straw...She was just so selfless though to give up what she truley wanted in her heart...Do you think a head-case like Mitsuki could love someone so much as to let them go? I doubt that with every ounce of my being...50% of me still believes she went to that hill in the final ep to jump off the cliff....
Old 2006-04-24, 23:08   Link #13
GundamZZ
残念美人

Ow! So many lengthy paragraphs in this thread. Polygamy is funny in anime, but it hurts women's pride in real life. Let's quote I read from an El Hazard forum six years ago. "Everyone likes to have his/her own harem, but it's wrong."

Isn't this thread implying one of the endings. In this ending, Haruka finishes having sex with Takayuki. After she leaves his room, Takayuki opens his closet. You see naked Mitsuki is tied up inside his closet. If I remember correctly, the ending title is "Secret Lover".
Old 2006-04-24, 23:08   Link #14
Stardust

I meant to mention the hill before...

I believe that in the end, all four friends got together, because after Haruka turns around and smiles, you see a picture of the four ferrets under the tree, which I believe is a symbol for the four friends reuniting. After all, by that time it is obvious everyone has pretty much let go of any bitterness they may have had about each other, if not about the whole affair. Witness the short vignettes illustrating what they are up to after a few years, it certainly doesn't look like anyone has any hard feelings for the others. Having said that, I also have to wonder what would have come out of the situation. First of all, did Haruka use a pen name when she wrote the book, or did she get married? I have heard contradictory claims on this. If she's married, I would guess that she really put Taka behind her, and their meeting would be a joyful reunion, and their friendship would be renewed. But what if she's not married? The cycle could start anew then. And again, chances are someone would end up being hurt. Notice that the ending doesn't specify that Taka and Mitsuki are married, so if the old lovers saw each other again, those old feelings could flare up again, and someone would get burned! Oddly as it sounds, it is this notion, that someone MUST be hurt in the end, that made me wonder in the first place if the ending that would have been REALLY happy for all involved would require that both girls acknowledged that Taka would not easily leave one, and so they compromised, having half of him each rather than one not having him at all.
Old 2006-04-24, 23:19   Link #15
Stardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ
Ow! So many lengthy paragraphs in this thread. Polygamy is funny in anime, but it hurts women's pride in real life. Let's quote I read from an El Hazard forum six years ago. "Everyone likes to have his/her own harem, but it's wrong."

Isn't this thread implying one of the endings. In this ending, Haruka finishes having sex with Takayuki. After she leaves his room, Takayuki opens his closet. You see naked Mitsuki is tied up inside his closet. If I remember correctly, the ending title is "Secret Lover".
Actually, I haven't played the game nor seen any ending other than the anime's. and the ending you describe is certainly NOT what I meant!

Instead, I simply imagined what if both girls would simply date Taka, each fully aware of the other, but not rocking the boat and with the full knowledge that Taka would not easily choose one over the other. Realistic? No, it certainly doesn't fit with the girls actions or personalities. But like I said, both did seem to go to great lenghts for him, a little more desperation on both and I could believe that each girl would be up to sharing him if she felt that the only other option was to lose him for good.
Old 2006-04-24, 23:38   Link #16
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardust
After all, by that time it is obvious everyone has pretty much let go of any bitterness they may have had about each other, if not about the whole affair.
I agree that's a "perfect-world" interpretation...That would never happen in real life...And that's why Taka and Mitsuki have agreed (by Haruka's request I guess) not to ever see Haruka again because it will never be lovely like her book, nor should it be...I know sisters who were in love with same guy who still dislike one another over the guy choosing one over the other (In girl talk it's called "stealing my man")...So I know girls who are best friends will always remained fractured...It's almost like you are taking the other person's destiny in a sense...I mean I don't have actual numbers but I'd gander less than 1% of girls who marry or takes their best friends guy (under any circumstance) ever become good friends again...and most (from my life experiences) hate the other girls guts...So no cuddly bears under a tree with the names Haruka and Mitsuki...

Quote:
First of all, did Haruka use a pen name when she wrote the book, or did she get married? I have heard contradictory claims on this. If she's married, I would guess that she really put Taka behind her, and their meeting would be a joyful reunion, and their friendship would be renewed.
Well in Akane Maniax Haruka does not look like someone who is living a overly progressive life IMO...She still seems sad to me and somewhat still caught in a state of flux...I mean she's still living at home with no new friends in sight...Now I don't know how many years pass when we see the book appear (in KGNE's ending), but Akane can't be much older than her early 20's when she's a swimming champion, so based on maniax I doubt seriously Haruka has found a husband...She probably is known for being the girl who came out of a 3 year coma and doesn't want that to affect her writing image...So I say it's a penname....
Old 2006-04-25, 14:28   Link #17
Perishthethought

I have always stated, over and over again, that the future meeting = bad. In addition, there is no way in hell I would ever even consider Mitsuki going to it. No way in hell. Mitsuki KNOWS what Haruka is like around Takayuki. She knows that Takayuki would fall for her if he stays with her, around her, for too long. Mitsuki, despite being incredibly clingy towards Takayuki, is astute enough to work out that the more he is around her, the more likely he is to end up with her. In fact, she watched it happen, twice now (once while they were originally dating, now again with the two of them in hospital), with little control over it. What control she did have, she used badly and ended up pushing him further and further towards Haruka. The lack of communication, the feeling of helplessness and isolation, impacted negatively on her mental health to such an extent that she ended up doing the things she did - or Shinji, if you want to be blunt. Mitsuki's actions are understandable under such pressure, but are compounded by and more a symptom of her insecurity and doubt over Takayuki's love for her (that are somewhat well-founded) than any underlying mental instability. She's certainly not a lunatic - but then again, she's not the perfect picture of mental health we'd wish her to be, either.

On the subject of Haruka being 'over' Takayuki, I don't think she ever really could be. When I talk about this, I try and separate out her conscious desire to get over him from her more base desire or love for him. Haruka needs to make an effort to 'forget' that the love existed between the two of them. She does love him. She never stops loving him. What she has to do is get over that and move on. She needs to accept that Taka is with Mitsuki, that Taka has expressed a desire to be with Mitsuki (no matter what that is based on), over her, and that for her to be able to carry on in life she cannot see him. Had she really wanted to, and had she felt she was on an even footing with Mitsuki for Taka's affections, she would have gone for him. There's no way she would have let him walk off like that, to force the goodbye. Instead, she recognises that she cannot compete with Mitsuki because in the intervening three years, too much happened between Taka and Mitsuki (which Haruka describes as 'doing things for him') for her to be able to catch up, despite her best efforts (getting her legs in motion again, tiring herself out). If anything, she's adrift, with no way back to shore. Poor girl.

So, what does she do? She mopes about Taka and the fact she'll never have the friends together again. She can't see Taka, she can't see Mitsuki (because she's with Taka), but she does see Shinji (he's there at her 'coming out party', look carefully). Whether she sees Shinji after that is debatable (I mean, the two aren't really best pals and barely communicate over the course of the anime - in fact, despite the game showing otherwise, he never goes to see her in the hospital). I wouldn't expect so, with Shinji going on in his new life with Mika (who is pictured with him in the ending sequence). She sits in dark rooms. She removes all evidence of Taka from her picture board (despite leaving the one with the four friends up). This bit is from Akane Maniax, probably just after she has left the hospital, and is back home again. She's cut up the whole affair. She's got to get over it. And she tries. And tries. Does she succeed? Well, listen to the ending song of KGNE. Part of that song is about how Haruka is endeavouring to get over the whole affair. About how crying is ok, because it gets it out of your system (or rather 'softly uplifts us'). She eventually gets to the point where she can say 'it was nice while it lasted' and actually consciously mean it. This is her conscious denial of any feeling for Taka - or rather, it has been a decent enough length of time for her to be able to say, 'that was a long time ago, I don't feel like that anymore, and even if I did, it doesn't make any difference now'. So what does she do? What would you do if you had just gotten over all the heartache and pain that considerably messed up your life for an extended period of time? She goes and tests herself by setting up another meeting with all the others. She probably doesn't MEAN to test herself. She probably has an innocent motive behind the meeting up again. Anybody else, anybody with half a brain, an appreciation for the fact that some things are best left alone, anybody who ISN'T completely naive and foolish, would just leave things as they are. They would think 'I'm over the heartache, good. Now, time to get on with my life'. But she doesn't. Why doesn't she just leave it well alone? Damn you Haruka!

What possible motive does she have? Haruka is characterised in the anime as being somewhat childlike in her opinion of people, naive, kind, and somewhat idealistic. Her love of Taka is a romantic ideal - she loves his kind nature, sees in him a kind soul, a love for his humanity. She chases him (she says so herself!), and is somewhat blind to his initial indifference towards her. However, if there is something Haruka has (and it is mentioned in a multitude of official character bios) it is 'hidden strength'. It is this strength that allows her to look at a situation and say 'you know what? I'm beat here. No use in trying - but I at least want you to be happy'. In that respect, she lets Taka go. This is in contrast to her supposed naiviety - if she was naive, she would have held onto the notion that somehow Taka would have just gone back to her, that he didn't really love Mitsuki, that they were meant to be. Real life isn't like that, unfortunately, and she knows it. Taka has made his mind up. She doesn't beg. She doesn't wail and scream. She puts on her bravest face, and says to Taka - 'go to her'. It's ok, I don't love you anymore (even though, at that point, she does). What's more, if you're going to be happy, I know we can't be near each other. So let's part ways with a smile.

Fast foward a few years. Haruka has 'gotten over' Taka. She writes a book of her tribulations, concerning the 'friendship' they all shared, and a wish to return to that. She establishes a meeting point for all of them to meet up. What in hell's name is she playing at? Is she so naive? What happened to the cold hard reality that resulted in letting Taka go? How could she ever stand on the hill and look into his eyes without the old feelings coming back, the feelings she has tried so hard to suppress and get over? God knows, Taka couldn't when she awoke from her coma (despite his best efforts at resistance), and I doubt she could either. She probably thinks otherwise. What speculation we must endure to discuss this! In any case, I bet she would melt like butter with Taka there, on that hill. She never really stopped loving him - all she did was get over the memories. What's more - I'd hazard a guess that he's there on his own.

We've covered Shinji. There's no way he'd be there, not just because of what went down with Mitsuki and him, but because I don't think he'd ever see the kids book. Not only that, I doubt either Taka OR Mitsuki would contact him with regards to a reunion, and even if they did, he would probably say no, having finally got over Mitsuki with Mika. If you look at Shinji, his inability to progress with the opposite sex, coupled with his inability to get over Mitsuki (who he still carries a torch for, for the majority of the anime), contributes to his pretty reprehensible behaviour. Granted, they're all fairly 'good friends' before tragedy strikes, but they were never on purely platonic footing. Shinji was carrying a torch for Mitsuki, Taka was interested in Mitsuki despite getting romantically entwined with Haruka, who was (still is?) infatuated with Taka, who was also the object of Mitsuki's affection. They are not a purely platonic bunch of people. There's all sorts of affection bouncing around in that foursome - the difference being with Mitsuki and Shinji, that Mitsuki is simply not interested in Shinji. At all. She doesn't want him romantically. She wants Taka, not him, a source of great frustration for him that comes to a physical head (although, in part, he was also annoyed about Taka's lack of care for Mitsuki at that point, despite her suffering). So, no Shinji. What good would it do? Water under the bridge? It's so far under the bridge that I doubt Shinji would want anything to do with them anymore.

What about Mitsuki? No way in hell. She's had a brush with Haruka once before. There's no way in hell she'd risk Taka being near her. Not only that, if Taka approached her with the book and said "Mitsuki, Haruka's written a book about meeting up again on a purely platonic basis - let's go meet her under the tree on the first day of Spring!" What do you think her response would be? I think it would be pretty close to 'you must be joking! Never again!' So much so, I think it would probably greatly upset her just to be reminded of Haruka and what transpired. When Taka goes to get back together with Mitsuki under the tree, they make a fresh start - starting over from that point. No more Haruka, no more regrets over what has happened, it's just the two of them from now on. Why would they go back on that with a trip to the past? Knowing Mitsuki's streak of insecurity, there's no way she would chance the two of them (Haruka and Taka) getting together again. Would Taka even tell her about the book? The fact that he bought it? The fact that he was even thinking of Haruka enough to be reticent of it? What do you think Mitsuki would say if Taka came home proudly clutching Haruka's book? Here you go darling, here's the book written by my ex-girlfriend who you fought so bitterly with over me! I obviously think enough of her, or am still sufficiently curious about her, to warrant purchasing her work. Let's sit and read it together! What fun that would be! He'd be lucky to continue walking straight.

So what then of Taka? Would he go and meet her? If he would, I think he would be going alone. He can't tell Mitsuki about it for fear of upsetting her, Shinji has moved on sufficiently enough to be barely bothered about it (and the chances of him seeing the book are minimal...). So what then? Just him and Haruka on the hill? VERY DANGEROUS. VERY BAD. Even in a group situation this is bad news. But Taka, alone, on the hill, with Haruka? Not married? No kids?

Wild speculation abound! Look at how I have twisted events to place Haruka and Taka on the hill alone, with the prospect of further romance! Look at how we can manipulate dialogue and present our opinions of characters, subtley defining them in the context of a proposed future, a future that is as indistinct and as non-existant as possible. Food for thought, food for wishful thinking (for the Haruka camp!). But think on this, ladies and gentleman.

The opening song is sung by Haruka's voice actress. It talks of how she remembers the summer (so we're already sometime in the future), of how she kept on hoping, kept on clinging to the hope of love, that 'raced away to the endless sky'. How she cried, felt the pain of loss... How she hopes that, once again, she can be with that love on the hill. 'Won't we meet again, on that hill' are the last few lines of the song - where it is pictured a figure of a man and a woman on the hill. It looks, with some creative thought, like Haruka and Taka. Does this mean we end the anime as we began? That it is trying to say something about the circularity of Taka ending up caught between two women again?

Consider this a gift for the Haruka fans. Keep fighting the good fight ladies and gents! Never give up hope!
Old 2006-04-25, 15:43   Link #18
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perishthethought
snip
Well, I never thought of that.

Well, it IS a fact that in the enhanced DVD ending, Haruka IS on the hill AND turns around and seems pretty happy, so SOMEONE must have arrived. If I take your realistic (meaning not "fairytale", where everything is so nice and people hold no grudges) speculation into account, it has to be Takayuki alone. Well, unless he can keep it secret from Mitsuki, he shouldn't be there. The last time he was focused on Haruka more, Mitsuki cheated on him So, unless he doesn't care, he wouldn't tell her about it. If he isn't with Mitsuki anymore, well... A harem-personality lead has seen the light ... Hm.. the world is going to end
Old 2006-05-04, 05:41   Link #19
Perishthethought

The plot thickens somewhat when you examine the full opening song, not just the halved version we get in the opening. The other verse, the added verse, is also somewhat pro-Haruka and Takayuki. Pay particular attention to the 'quietly sleeping promise' the two made. The spell that lasts for eternity? Doesn't sound like somebody over Taka, does it?

- - - - -

Romaji Lyrics followed by English Translation

Atsui hizashi Mabushikute
Omoidasu no ano natsu wo
Itami nante shirazu ni ita no
Egao itsumo ureshikute

Dazzled by the hot sunlight
I remember that summer
Not knowing what pain meant
Your smile would always gladden me

Yume mo akogare mo motome tsudzuketeta
Watashi wo yobu koe ga Tooku kikoeru

I'd kept on hoping for longings and dreams
I can hear, far away, a voice calling me...

Zutto, zutto mitsumeteta
Massugu na omoiwa
Hateshinai sora he to kakenukeru
Afureru namida wo sotto
Kono te ni dakishimeru
Itsuka mata Aeru kana
Ano oka de...

Ever, ever I kept on watching
That unswerving desire of mine
Run through away to the endless sky;
These overflowing tears
I softly hold in my hands-
Won't we meet again someday,
On that hill...

THE OTHER VERSE

Aoi kaze ni sasowarete
Kumo ga katachi Kaete yuku
Sugita toki wo oshiete kureta
Shashin Ima wa SEPIA iro

Beckoned by a blue wind
Clouds begin changing shape
The pictures that told me
Of the times gone by
Are sepia-coloured now

Futari de kawashita chiisana yakusoku
Kokoro no katasumi de Shizuka ni nemuru

The little promise the two exchanged
In a corner of the heart quietly sleeps...

Zutto, zutto wasurenai
Taisetsu na omoi wo
Owaranai ashita he egaiteiku
Anata ga kureta kotoba wa
Takara mono ni natte
Kono mune de Kagayaku no
Eien ni...

Never, never will I forget
These precious emotions that
Onto an unending tomorrow, I will paint;
The words that you gave to me
Become a treasure,
And glitter in my heart
For eternity...

- - - - -

The interesting thing about this is, it mentions the 'treasure', which you'll remember is somewhat like the title of Haruka's book, 'The Real Treasure'. Now, the 'real treasure' I believe is their friendship in the book, but this seems to contradict it somewhat as it indicates that their love is the 'real treasure'. Ah, who knows. Just interesting to note, I guess. More fuel for the fire! Keep it burning Haruka fans!
Old 2006-05-04, 07:01   Link #20
kujoe
from head to heel

Polygamous endings are usually associated with ero games, or aka the extra "harem ending." Since this is the anime version we're talking about, and considering the heavy content of the story, it was only right that such a scenario wasn't made. With regard to KGNE, it's practically a pipe dream for the most part.

As for the scene on the hill in the OP, I regarded that in relation to the so-called wish theme—a wish that is ironically significant precisely because it does not, and cannot come true. That's part of the romance of Haruka's character, and of the entire story itself. I view the the last minute turn of her head in the extended ending on the other hand, as mostly fanservice in particular for the Haruka fans and at the same time, as something that is thematically related to the wish that they'll all be friends again. The same can be said of the lyrics as well.

Moreover Takayuki does buy Haruka's book, and even if it's not shown in the anime, he will be showing that to Mitsuki. If Mitsuki's reaction to reading the article on Akane is any indication, I'm sure she won't be that drastically negative about Haruka's book and its message. So in a sense, "all is forgiven," but "nothing will return to the way they once were; it's time to move on."
Closed Thread