AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-07-15, 09:07   Link #1
Senden

Nearly finished Ghost in the Shell.. what next?

Completely out of the blue, I decided to rewatch the original Ghost in the Shell movie.. this was last Wednesday. Since then, I've watched, that, 2.0, innocence, SAC and currently half way through 2nd Gig. I've been completely drawn in by it's cyberpunk setting, story and mature themes.

What would people recommend to watch after? First up will most likely be Ergo Proxy, I still haven't seen that yet and even had some non anime fan friends recommend it so I know it's going to be good.
Senden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 09:30   Link #2
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Don't know if you've watched these but for cyberpunk, there's always Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze.

Pale Cocoon
Kaiba
Akira
Blame!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 11:54   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

You could give Psycho-Pass a try OP, I'm sure it shares many elements that are already shown in GiTS before (such as the cyberpunk setting and the fact they are both crime dramas), with the only difference that P-P explores around the questioning behind the system that measures and quantify criminal minds with advanced weapons handled by the police officers. I don't think it could reach the masterpiece status but it is still worth looking into.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-15, 13:05   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You might watch Real Drive, another show by Shirow Masamune with an emphasis on cybernetics. He also made Ghost Hound around the same time, but it has more of a supernatural bent.

You might like Eden of the East as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 07:50   Link #5
Tenzen12

Un-go: cyberpunk and mystery

Serial experiment Lain: Possibly
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 08:52   Link #6
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

You might want to check out Mardock Scramble.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
In a futuristic society, a 15-year-old prostitute named Rune Balot is rescued after being nearly killed. She is subconsciously given the choice to continue living due to an emergency ordinance to preserve life called Mardock Scramble 09. Turned into a cyborg, Balot is then given the choice of assisting the investigations against the man who tried to terminate her. He is part of the powerful October corporation that is stealthily conducting illegal activities.
The main character, Balot, is voiced by industry legend Megumi Hayashibara (Rei Ayanami, Neon Genesis Evagelion; Faye Valentine, Cowboy Bepop). The movie trilogy is based on the novels by award-winning author Tow Ubukata, who also wrote the screenplay of Ghost in the Shell Arise, the latest addition to the franchise.

There is also the very little-known Kurozuka, which starts off as an apparent chambara drama set in Heian Japan, but eventually morphs into a sci-fi thriller with supernatural suspense thrown in for good measure.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 09:49   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Kurozuka is streamed for free at Sony's Crackle site. It is the Animax dubbed version, though.

Also, take a look at this review from ANN for Black Magic M-66, another show by Shirow Masamune.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-07-24 at 10:18.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 13:00   Link #8
AnimeFan188

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Heat Guy J yet. So I will.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1820
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 09:32   Link #9
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Heat Guy J yet. So I will.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=1820
Heat Guy J is great, but I don't feel like I'd call it a cyberpunk. It's a great show nonetheless, and I recommend watching. Also, Funimation. They'll make it really easy for you.

The sad thing about those mature cyberpunks is that you'd expect the market to be saturated in them because of how insanely popular Ghost in the Shell is, but in anime terms it's actually far from it. In fact, it seems like a lot of similar shows are actually movies or short OVA series.

So with that having been said, I can't recommend many cyberpunks but I can certainly recommend some more mature titles with darker themes, and I'll try to steer you towards more futuristic settings. Really, what always sold me so highly with GitS is that amazing atmosphere.

Psycho Pass is an obvious choice. It's been mentioned before, but it's worth repeating. When I think GitS, it's actually become my runner-up. Also, the second season has been announced for it.

UN-GO might not be a bad choice as well. I'd give it an episode or two.

PP was the only one that I could really pull together fitting the whole of your request. In very many ways it does meet that GitS-like standard. You've already suggested Ergo Proxy, so there's no need for me to do so.

Here's some titles that have a similar atmosphere, but lack those features that GitS had:

Spoiler for Anime with some GitS similarities, and some honorable mentions along those lines.:

I know the majority of my list was quite the stretch, but hopefully something in there piques your interests. If I can think of anything that fits what you're looking for more closely I'll let you know.
Old 2013-07-28, 18:38   Link #10
Soren333

Psycho-Pass definitely.
Soren333 is offline   Reply With Quote