Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-04, 13:04   Link #1461
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

No offense, but I think you've managed to completely miss the point of this show. This isn't built as a pure big budget action series, it's built as a deconstruction of the hero archetype, ...
No, it's not. A true deconstruction of the hero archetype would be Alan Moore's The Watchmen, or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Tiger and Bunny is a massive homage to the hero archetype, if anything.

I don't have any significant problems with the rest of your post, but no, this is not a deconstruction of the hero archetype. Indeed, this anime reflects the original spirit of superhero comics incredibly well. It's much closer to a reconstruction than a deconstruction.

Quote:
...where the bonds that the heroes forge in their personal relationships take center stage and their personal problems frequently threaten to overwhelm their desire to do good and leave them in despair instead. Each episode is about overcoming each new challenge on a personal level and the heroes finding that which allows them to carry on doing good and being a hero for the people.
Yeah... and all of that is perfectly consistent with the spirit of superhero comics.

Hell, a really large chunk of Spiderman comic books can be summed up in the exact same way.
Old 2011-09-04, 13:07   Link #1462
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Am I the only one who thought there were strong hints that something was "off" with Ben? As in, maybe even he's secretly in league with Maverick? His nervousness, too many close-ups, the odd timing of his arrival... It sure seemed that way to me.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 13:15   Link #1463
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, it's not. A true deconstruction of the hero archetype would be Alan Moore's The Watchmen, or Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Tiger and Bunny is a massive homage to the hero archetype, if anything.

I don't have any significant problems with the rest of your post, but no, this is not a deconstruction of the hero archetype. Indeed, this anime reflects the original spirit of superhero comics incredibly well. It's much closer to a reconstruction than a deconstruction.

Yeah... and all of that is perfectly consistent with the spirit of superhero comics.

Hell, a really large chunk of Spiderman comic books can be summed up in the exact same way.
You might be right actually. Descontruction stories tend to deal more with superheroes gone rogue or anti-hero and giving into their human flaws. If anything I guess Lunatic is the only real example of a deconstruction type character while the others are more in line with classical hero ideals. Did classic superhero comics (Gold/Silver Age) really deal with personal issues though? I always though they were more camp fare where the good guy always wins and is pure good (Superman )and the bad guy is often pure generic evil and the story rarely concerns itself with what goes on in the heroes civilian identity. Might be wrong though as I've read very few if any stories from that era other than some DC ones my friend gave me that lead up to the legendary Crisis On Infinite Earths arc.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 13:23   Link #1464
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Am I the only one who thought there were strong hints that something was "off" with Ben? As in, maybe even he's secretly in league with Maverick? His nervousness, too many close-ups, the odd timing of his arrival... It sure seemed that way to me.
That actually crossed my mind aswell. I thought he was acting a little strange but it might've just been a mistake.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 13:37   Link #1465
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You might be right actually. Descontruction stories tend to deal more with superheroes gone rogue or anti-hero and giving into their human flaws.
Right.

Quote:
If anything I guess Lunatic is the only real example of a deconstruction type character while the others are more in line with classical hero ideals. Did classic superhero comics (Gold/Silver Age) really deal with personal issues though? I always though they were more camp fare where the good guy always wins and is pure good (Superman )and the bad guy is often pure generic evil and the story rarely concerns itself with what goes on in the heroes civilian identity. Might be wrong though as I've read very few if any stories from that era other than some DC ones my friend gave me that lead up to the legendary Crisis On Infinite Earths arc.
Well, in fairness to you, you could be right about pre-CoIE comic books.

I do think that Tiger and Bunny is playing around a bit with the hero archetype (this is mostly seen in the commercialization of heroes aspect), but for the most part, it plays the tropes straight.

But really, words like "homage" and "deconstruction" are just short-hand ways to try to capture what a show is aiming for. In the case of Tiger and Bunny, it is aiming to be more than just simply an action-packed blockbuster, I 100% agree with you there.

I think its trying to take the spirit of superheros, and challenge it with a very realistic world (but likely let the spirit succeed in the end). That's what makes Tiger and Bunny unique, imo.
Old 2011-09-04, 14:42   Link #1466
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Guys, did you guys saw the ep23 recently?! I was right, people! See?! I told you that Rotwang from ep15 will returned back! But you guys didn't believed me from what I said last time! He's the one who created Dark Tiger suit!

That Bastard! He's how working for Maverick & he's captured all of the Heroes including Kaede just like that!?

Where's Lunatic where I need him...

Last edited by Jeffry2009; 2011-09-04 at 15:03.
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 14:53   Link #1467
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post

Where's Lunatic where I need him...
At his desk laughing and prob wondering what the hell were the heroes good for if they got caught by one robot.
Old 2011-09-04, 15:01   Link #1468
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
At his desk laughing and prob wondering what the hell were the heroes good for if they got caught by one robot.
He should talk, if I remember correctly he's also fighting the same robot before, and which one is missing while the other is still running around without a scratch...
Old 2011-09-04, 15:17   Link #1469
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Well, in fairness to you, you could be right about pre-CoIE comic books.
You guys should probably read some Marvel comics from the 60's or some DC ones from the 70's. Heroes with flaws and personal dramas have been around for quite a while. Just ask Stan Lee...

On topic, I just cannot wait for the next episode! This show is just too good!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 15:20   Link #1470
Triple_R
*Author

I think that Lunatic is going to kill Maverick. I think he's viewing this whole conflict between the Heroes and Dark Tiger/Rotwang as a good distraction while he determines Maverick's location, and then hunts him down.
Old 2011-09-04, 15:32   Link #1471
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You really think so?
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 15:48   Link #1472
darkmanure

Maybe the robot beat the beat out of Lunatic?
darkmanure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 15:52   Link #1473
Bombo
TSF Fans

Saito talking with speaker!? omg
Bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 15:57   Link #1474
Wakan Tanka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo View Post
Saito talking with speaker!? omg
ROFL<< He's a tensai, though.
Old 2011-09-04, 16:05   Link #1475
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Episode 23 thoughts below...

Spoiler for Tiger and Bunny Episode 23:
Pretty much what I thought.

Although I also agree the "Bunny-chan" fix was handled badly. The short but intense fight was good, but the Barnaby recovering his memory was a bit jarring the way they presented it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 18:34   Link #1476
awkwardanimals

I honestly thought that Barnaby was going to regain his memory when Kotetsu showed him the Christmas pin...what was the point of all that stuff at the mall and the drawn out stuff with the pins if they weren't going to come up again?!

All in all, though, despite the fact that Kotetsu got Bunny's memories back fairly easily, the whole scene was pretty well done in my opinion. They could have dragged it out and made this a kind of flashback episode, but that would have been slow and melodramatic. They very quickly and effectively showed Kotetsu and Barnaby's relationship and how much Bunny means to him, and I think that was enough.

Ben and Kotetsu's friendship is adorable, I liked that part too. This episode was kind of weak, but only because it was meant to be buildup for the next two. It really just set them back where they were before all this memory nonsense, and exposed Maverick's whole scheme.

My thoughts on the next episode: Lunatic will be the star of the show. (I really, really, hope.) He kind of ducked out this episode and there's got to be a reason for that...
Old 2011-09-04, 19:10   Link #1477
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Bunny stop his attack, because of his nickname? So much for craze vengeances for his aunt...

The android was speculated like crazy, I've hope it was the aunt inside, so the team would of held back and lost.

Cliche all around~

and we need more Dragon Kid! She so close to moe, but there not enough screen time of her!
Old 2011-09-04, 19:19   Link #1478
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm telling you, something isn't right with Ben. He didn't need to be there in this episode, yet he was in almost every scene - and acting suspiciously at that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 19:21   Link #1479
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Wait, where is scarf-tan?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-04, 20:13   Link #1480
Key Board
Carbon

I'm going to say that the latest episode puzzled me

Spoiler:
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mecha, sunrise, tiger & bunny, tsundere