AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 12 27.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 34.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 27.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-10, 18:00   Link #81
4Tran

I've finally caught up with Shin Sekai Yori - 14-23 in the last couple of days. It's been a great ride, and I'm overall very impressed with what the creators have done with the story. It's quite amazing that this show is airing at the same time as Psycho-Pass since they are so similar, but Shin Sekai Yori pulls off the themes is vastly superior. Moreover, there's been much better direction and art design throughout the show (albeit with very inconsistent animation). It's really interesting how the direction has been able to make very lengthy conversations both entertaining and tense. There's a lot of anime works that can learn from this.

Unfortunately, the episode threads in this sub-forum are pretty much unreadable. Can't you guys post better?
Old 2013-03-10, 18:08   Link #82
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Then I think pairing her up with three complete badasses (though I'm still unsure we can call Satoru that)
I don't know, I think that someone who singlehandedly massacred an army of queerats when he was 12 years old - and supremely enjoyed himself while doing so - very much deserves the title of badass. Like, imagine if Satoru was present for a conversation where he and a few others talked about their favorite childhood memories...

"I always loved it whenever my mom read me fairy tales at bedtime."
"My grandmother always brought me lots of toys whenever she visited us."
"Hmm... I think my favorite childhood memory was that time I spent an entire day fighting a solo war against an army of hundreds upon hundreds of bloodthirsty monsters. That was just a really relaxing, fun day. Wish I could go back to those times..."

Now that is one badass motherfucker, Kanon my boy.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:12   Link #83
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But ever since she found out Maria was dead, I feel like she's been starting to break down. She took the news very badly and hasn't been able to get over it. I can't remember anything else affecting her that much. That's where her character turned around for me.
That's an interesting observation. And now that I think about it, you're right.

Saki displayed a fair degree of spunk and strength even in the handful of episodes that there were after Shun's death but before Maria ran away. But ever since Maria passed on, Saki has become a bit more passive, and a bit more withdrawn.

It's like losing Maria took the color out of Saki's world, and now the world is so bleak that Saki needs to make an extra effort to push herself forward whereas before it came more naturally.

When you combine the effect that Maria running away had on Saki, along with Saki basically blaming Maria for what's happening now, it's hard to not get the impression of a depressed and jilted lover.

Quote:
I hope she will rebound then. That would be the ultimate proof Tomiko was right about her. When she finally faces Yakomaru, I want her to stand tall. Maybe finally remembering Shun will give her the mental push she needs.
I'm also very much looking forward to the next meeting between Saki and Yakomaru. I hope it'll have a nice climatic feel to it, and that Saki will stand tall in that moment.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:20   Link #84
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I've finally caught up with Shin Sekai Yori - 14-23 in the last couple of days. It's been a great ride, and I'm overall very impressed with what the creators have done with the story. It's quite amazing that this show is airing at the same time as Psycho-Pass since they are so similar, but Shin Sekai Yori pulls off the themes is vastly superior. Moreover, there's been much better direction and art design throughout the show (albeit with very inconsistent animation). It's really interesting how the direction has been able to make very lengthy conversations both entertaining and tense. There's a lot of anime works that can learn from this.

Unfortunately, the episode threads in this sub-forum are pretty much unreadable. Can't you guys post better?
This show doesn't have a whole lot of meat and potatoes to grapple over like Psycho Pass (This is all relative, of course compared to your dime a dozen moe girl show it looks way more brilliant). At the end of the day, it does not provide a terrible amount of insight into our modern society. It's definitely a great show, but that's more owed to its excellent direction, imaginative setting, and stylistic presentation. Also, the characters are very good.

Really past the cynical, serious nature of both series I hardly think PP and SSY are all that comparable.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:21   Link #85
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:

Eh I suppose watching the episodes in a row does help get over the mess made as you don't think too much about it before further content rolls in and you don't have to wait a whole week agonizing over how much worse it will get before you can honestly be relieved and say "Hey wait, actually, they did a great job this time!"

And give the people here more credit. The posts happen in sort of real time and mostly as dialogue. They aren't really intended to serve as hallmarks for somebody coming in 10 episodes down the road. They ought to be fairly interesting for those who are patient enough but that is a lot to ask from even the most patient folks. Should you do a run next time for some other anime, I suggest following the discussion threads for each episode right after the episode (if that show doesn't have a sub-forum, just go up to the page where they start talking about things you haven't seen: I did/do this with great success with certain shows like Chihayafuru and Ixion Saga: DT) and before you see the next episode. Don't come in after you have seen the whole bulk. Of course, you may have already done as I recommend and I am sorry if that's the case but that's a pretty boring thing to do once the rush of a fresh episode is over and you really didn't miss much, as you obviously know, anyway.

I haven't exactly kept up with Psycho Pass but I also think the shows are different enough to be incomparable even though they are both dystopian sci-fis that both dwell primarily on the Red Queen effect, as some poster (CJ_Walker, iirc) pointed out in the last episode thread for PP (he didn't mention SSY, I just thought that hell, that's exactly what SSY does too). I would say it's expected of SSY to have a more fleshed out story and better characters as it's adapting an actual novel. Gen fans maybe offended but at the end of the day, he only wrote PP as an anime writer and that's a hell lot less room to work with than a fully fledged novel.

As for Saki becoming more passive after Maria's leave, I think the anime bore it into us too much with all those totally random flashbacks where Maria claims she was going to protect Saki. And the totally out of place Ending, Sony and HanaKana or not. I already ranted about this one too many times but WTF, just 4 episodes before, Maria was commending Saki on her fortitude and informing her that the weaker ones in her group were the ones needing consideration. And hell she chose to go with Mamoru, also mentioning how she could no longer live in that twisted a village, while trusting that Saki would be a-okay in the village just the episode before. So what's with those dumb flashbacks? Heck, they put those in places where the natural proceeding would have been for Satoru and Saki to confide in and console each other as the only remaining friends. Not complaining about what was axed off the novel here. Just that spending screen-time showing Saki running after wild delusions of Maria while she doesn't even spend any remotely personal moment with Satoru is by and large responsible for making both Saki and Satoru look less than they should. Oh well.

However, you must remember that while it may look like Maria's leave triggered Saki's depression, it's actually not just Maria but also Shun and the boy who has been forgotten and the girl who they weren't supposed to remember and her sister who couldn't write her name properly with "the power" and thus got axed etc. etc. Sure the last stone may have caused the boat to sink but the bag had plenty of other stones already in.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2013-03-10 at 18:37.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:25   Link #86
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When you combine the effect that Maria running away had on Saki, along with Saki basically blaming Maria for what's happening now, it's hard to not get the impression of a depressed and jilted lover.
But Maria running away happened 12 years ago. Saki kept believing that she was alive, yes, but deep down in her rational mind, she already knew it was unlikely. Doesn't mean she wasn't shaken by the news, but it's not like she's not herself because she's pining after Maria. (Also, when did she blame her for what's happening now?)

Saki is emotionally exhausted. It's been roughly one week ago that she learned that Maria was dead (and Mamoru too, poor boy). And within the last 2-3 days, she had to deal with the bakenezumi attacking her village and killing many people, learning that there's an akki on the loose, Tomiko and many others dying, finding out that the akki was Maria's and Mamoru's son, knowing that her parents may very well be dead, and now it's up to her to save everyone by going through hell and finding a horrible weapon so she can kill her best friend's son. It's no wonder she's not exactly chipper.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:32   Link #87
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
This show doesn't have a whole lot of meat and potatoes to grapple over like Psycho Pass (This is all relative, of course compared to your dime a dozen moe girl show it looks way more brilliant). At the end of the day, it does not provide a terrible amount of insight into our modern society. It's definitely a great show, but that's more owed to its excellent direction, imaginative setting, and stylistic presentation. Also, the characters are very good.

Really past the cynical, serious nature of both series I hardly think PP and SSY are all that comparable.
I largely agree with this.

SSY is a more imaginative show than Psycho-Pass, but then that also means that SSY is way more divorced from our modern society than Psycho-Pass is. I find that Psycho-Pass says a lot more about our modern society than what SSY does. That's not to say SSY doesn't have some thematic strength to it, but I'm not sure if it's quite as pertinent and applicable as what you can take from Psycho-Pass.

But then, like you said, this is relative. Both shows have more substance to them than your standard anime fare.

There are some other similarities between SSY and Psycho-Pass, though...

Spoiler for 3 Psycho-Pass/SSY comparisons:
Old 2013-03-10, 18:37   Link #88
Moeterumoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
But Maria running away happened 12 years ago. Saki kept believing that she was alive, yes, but deep down in her rational mind, she already knew it was unlikely. Doesn't mean she wasn't shaken by the news, but it's not like she's not herself because she's pining after Maria. (Also, when did she blame her for what's happening now?)

Saki is emotionally exhausted. It's been roughly one week ago that she learned that Maria was dead (and Mamoru too, poor boy). And within the last 2-3 days, she had to deal with the bakenezumi attacking her village and killing many people, learning that there's an akki on the loose, Tomiko and many others dying, finding out that the akki was Maria's and Mamoru's son, knowing that her parents may very well be dead, and now it's up to her to save everyone by going through hell and finding a horrible weapon so she can kill her best friend's son. It's no wonder she's not exactly chipper.
I've got tired of people claiming Saki blame Maria for everything.

It's not like that.
Old 2013-03-10, 18:39   Link #89
Forsaken_Infinity

Dang I edit my posts too much.

Well, to keep with the tradition, I don't agree that SSY says less about our society than PP does. Quite the opposite imho.

For one, here we have actual people, live people with all their insecurities and flaws, and not a system running things behind the show. And they aren't nearly as powerful, omniscient or omnipresent. They are a much more accurate portrayal of the degeneration of (rather, problems pertaining to) human leadership than Sybil is.

For another, the antagonists here are a whole race of sentient creatures and not just one quirky guy. One whole race of sentient creatures that have been mistreated through generations. One whole race of sentient creatures that rise through civilization much like humans did, only much faster. We see both the benefits and the costs of that here in SSY. Again, much more telling about humans than PP.

And lastly, the situation the protagonists find themselves in SSY is much more of a dilemma and much more concerned with human nature than what Akane finds herself in PP. I haven't seen the latest episode of PP yet though. But I doubt this will change.

SSY even had these huge info-dumps where they somewhat detailed humanity's fall and predicament. It's essentially just a rinse-and-repeat: the classic "history repeats itself" for the most part. And history does indeed repeat. Human intellectuals and leaders, heck most humans today, for the most part, are inclined to think that we are at the high point of civilization and that things will only get better from here on even if there are some really bleak things on the radar. So did the Romans and the Greeks and the Persians and the people in the Indus valley and the Mayans and the Chinese dynasties from eons on every whence they were prosperous. And so do the humans in SSY. They think (okay, a lot of them don't actually know what's going on, but the leaders do) that they are better than ever, that they are secure. They have insecurities about their kids, mind you, but they are essentially content with their status quo. They don't consider themselves fallible to another race of sentient creatures, creatures that boast ranks upon ranks of extremely qualified and trained soldiers and members that can all think freely. Yep, it's all the same as history is evident. They fall. And so shall we, the humans of present time. We did in the fictional SSY universe in much the same manner as most other civilizations ever. And heck, our descendants managed to do it twice over before we reached Saki and co.

Of course, as a show, PP is much more consistent than SSY. But in terms of just flat out material and potential, SSY is a heck lot better. I still agree largely that the shows are best left to each their own.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2013-03-10 at 19:02.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:06   Link #90
Arya

I didn't find Saki out of her character that much to be honest. What I found odd was that they send her to this mission in the first place. It was a really risky and dangerous task, why send the next leader, someone who is not suited for that kind of dangerous stuffs, risking to lose her, when you already had the most skilled queerat, the most skilled human alive, Satoru, and a quite skilled man, Inui. I really thought that it was just because it was needed by the plot. So, once you put her in such a place I cant say that Saki acted ooc.
Probably because I thought of her as a new Tomiko. So thinking about her, Tomiko, she has never been portrayed as a soldier, but as a wise woman. (how much wise is yet to be seen, but let that alone til the end of the show ) A wise woman of 260 more years. Not 26, as Saki. When a zero makes the difference
So what I'm expecting by Saki is not bravery or whatnot, but is the ability to spot the major and minor flaws that afflicted her society with a clarity that a normal person, after all that they passed through, normally would not have. So basically what I'm saying is that she is not yet what she is expected to be. But when the time will come that all this hell will ends probably the humans first thought would be to kill all the queerats of the island and probably of the world. Instead she will come out with some wise idea, I don't know what, that will lead both to a peaceful future. I'm just guessing to make clear what I have in mind, it's not a speculation.

But, it's true that her character felt a bit weakened in this arc. First because the fact that she has been chosen as the next leader is hard to be seen yet, because this is not her playing field. But still she is, so we are expecting something from her. Despite the fact that the situation they have been living now is far different and more and more tragic than the one they passed through when they were children. It's not comparable, they are on the verge of being annihilated and on top of that there is a fiend, or supposed one, that supposedly is Maria&Mamoru's child. (I didn't get if Saki already realized that or not, but she should have).

And second because I find that her characterization jars with Satoru's, who never flinch, He always knows what they have to do and when they have and so on. So If Inui was a soldier, Satoru is not, so I don't digest well this differentiation between them, Saki and Satoru. So, looking at them someone could thinks that one or the other is too weak or too strong. I always thought that Satoru is too strong, so now it doesn't surprise me that much. But still along with Saki it emphasizes her weak side.

Last, even if was intense, her mystical reunion with her dead lover sounded a bit, well, mystical as I said.

So different things that put together surely could weak her character.

but, in the end, my question is the same of the previous episode, what matters if the fiend is really a fiend or not? They are giving much importance to this nitpicking that I fear Saki would try to save him.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:23   Link #91
Kirarakim

Quote:

There have been a lot of great posts and insight from people on these boards. I have not always agreed with every poster but I have enjoyed discussing this show with everyone.

Anyways as for this episode: Inui I didn't get to know you long but I will miss you.

I guess this episode addressed our thoughts about Kiroumaru from last week.

As for the Shun scene I thought it was beautifully done. I don't think Shun is alive but I think Shun is somehow within Saki (as they already mentioned during this episode). The preview doesn't show Shun at all, so I guess it can't be a very big part of the next episode. And yes the ending song sucks.

Finally about Saki being a damsel in distress I completely disagree. I understand she has shown fear and weakness but what stands out to me is she has never given up and she keeps going. The scene when Inui died was notable to me because Saki dived to grab the library creature and then cried. She then ran off to do what she must and located the psychobuster.

Remember bravery is not the absence of fear and I think Saki illustrates this quite well.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-03-10 at 19:36.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:46   Link #92
4Tran

Quote:
Both shows are about the steps that society needs to address its malignant portions. Moreover, these steps are extreme measures that inflict a large human cost that warps their society in negative ways.

The shows do greatly vary in quality, but that shouldn't be a barrier for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Eh I suppose watching the episodes in a row does help get over the mess made as you don't think too much about it before further content rolls in and you don't have to wait a whole week agonizing over how much worse it will get before you can honestly be relieved and say "Hey wait, actually, they did a great job this time!"
Shin Sekai Yori has had mostly very good episodes though. The only weak ones I can think of are 5, 6, 13 and 22. The art and animation could be better a lot of the time, but I think that the direction, both visual and audio, make up for a lot of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
And give the people here more credit. The posts happen in sort of real time and mostly as dialogue. They aren't really intended to serve as hallmarks for somebody coming in 10 episodes down the road.
It's not just the bad posts - there are tons of spoilers dropped nonchalantly too. Look at all the deleted posts and banned posters just in this thread.

And don't get me started on all the "why isn't Saki more badass?" posts.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:51   Link #93
Kirarakim

Quote:
there are tons of spoilers dropped nonchalantly too. Look at all the deleted posts and banned posters just in this thread.
That is unfortunately a problem you have with pretty much all series that are not original. I don't think this is a reflection on the viewers of this series as a whole.

Quote:
Although I disagree with the argument that Saki is a weak character in this arc I also disagree that these people are arguing that Saki should be more badass.
Old 2013-03-10, 19:56   Link #94
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Both shows are about the steps that society needs to address its malignant portions. Moreover, these steps are extreme measures that inflict a large human cost that warps their society in negative ways.

The shows do greatly vary in quality, but that shouldn't be a barrier for comparison.
This is an interesting comparison, but then the primary motivations are different. Psycho-Pass's system arose out of advancements in science and technology (What if we could technologically predetermine people's potential criminality and how would society use this information?). In Shinsekai Yori this is a society born out of necessity. Facing a quite literal apocalypse in the form of cantus users who we have no ways to reliably control through normal means, they had to shape their society in a way to save the very human race.

Ultimately, PP leaves more room for debate because in SSY the scary thing is that there really isn't an alternative solution to their problems. The decisions are all fairly logical, no matter how awful and obvious it might seem. I don't really see people here commenting too much on the legitimacy of this society's decisions beyond the fact that they see it as horrible/sad. Whereas at least in Psycho-Pass, there isn't an obvious right or wrong answer in theory ( I know the show clearly wants to portray the society in the end as wrong, and that's another discussion).

Yet in the end, PP's issues are much more directly related to our modern world. Shinsekai Yori we don't really have a very apt comparison (Maybe nukes and countries at best).

Quote:
Considering I am one of the posters who complained about her characterization, I think it's not wrong to feel that the writing is a little bit inconsistent here. Tomiko made it a huge point that she thought Saki should be her replacement, yet the qualities of an unflappable leader have not really been visible lately. It was when she was younger, but this arc has seen nothing but a very passive and emotional Saki who has done next to nothing. Satoru has often come off as more worthy of a "leadership" position than Saki, and that to me is wrong.
Old 2013-03-10, 20:09   Link #95
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
That is unfortunately a problem you have with pretty much all series that are not original. I don't think this is a reflection on the viewers of this series as a whole.
It certainly feels a lot worse in these threads than usual.

Quote:
This is an interesting comparison, but then the primary motivations are different. Psycho-Pass's system arose out of advancements in science and technology (What if we could technologically predetermine people's potential criminality and how would society use this information?). In Shinsekai Yori this is a society born out of necessity. Facing a quite literal apocalypse in the form of cantus users who we have no ways to reliably control through normal means, they had to shape their society in a way to save the very human race.
They're both born out of necessity, otherwise they'd be discarded.

Quote:
Ultimately, PP leaves more room for debate because in SSY the scary thing is that there really isn't an alternative solution to their problems. The decisions are all fairly logical, no matter how awful and obvious it might seem. I don't really see people here commenting too much on the legitimacy of this society's decisions beyond the fact that they see it as horrible/sad. Whereas at least in Psycho-Pass, there isn't an obvious right or wrong answer in theory ( I know the show clearly wants to portray the society in the end as wrong, and that's another discussion).
The show itself has been arguing that all of the problems within arise from the draconian measures imposed for the sake of security. It's sort of been the point of most of the episodes!

Quote:
Considering I am one of the posters who complained about her characterization, I think it's not wrong to feel that the writing is a little bit inconsistent here. Tomiko made it a huge point that she thought Saki should be her replacement, yet the qualities of an unflappable leader have not really been visible lately. It was when she was younger, but this arc has seen nothing but a very passive and emotional Saki who has done next to nothing. Satoru has often come off as more worthy of a "leadership" position than Saki, and that to me is wrong.
That seems to be missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Saki being weak or seeming to be weak.
Old 2013-03-10, 20:32   Link #96
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
They're both born out of necessity, otherwise they'd be discarded.
I don't want to drag this off topic to PP, so just going to say I disagree with this notion. I think SSY's society is born out of necessity, but not PP.

Quote:
The show itself has been arguing that all of the problems within arise from the draconian measures imposed for the sake of security. It's sort of been the point of most of the episodes!
Saki herself said when she was older that she understand why the adults acted the way they did...

The current issues in this arc are because they were too arrogant to recognize the queerats as a threat. I was mostly talking about the measures they took to prevent the rise of fiends/karma demons.

Quote:
That seems to be missing the point. There's nothing wrong with Saki being weak or seeming to be weak.
So why did Tomiko give her special consideration? No there's nothing wrong with that, but then that would imply she is normal. The show has tried to convey otherwise - that she's a strong leader.
Old 2013-03-10, 20:46   Link #97
kuromitsu

Quote:
So why did Tomiko give her special consideration? No there's nothing wrong with that, but then that would imply she is normal. The show has tried to convey otherwise - that she's a strong leader.
The show never implied that she was a strong, unflappable leader. Both Maria and Saki's mom, both of whom loved Saki dearly, went out of their way to point out that Saki cries easily, she's easily discouraged, etc. and yet she has a strength in her that allows her to go on and to stay true to herself even when others fail. Her strength is her integrity, that no matter what happens she won't break, she won't lose sight of herself, and she's doing absolutely fine on that front right now. She's a survivor who may cry and be scared, but she pulls through anyway, and learns from her experiences.

Also, as some of us have said so many times now, she's still very young and she's carrying a heavy burden in a situation no-one could have prepared her for. She's learning now, the hard way. Is she doing 100% perfect? nope. Can she make mistakes? sure! But so far she hasn't let weakness take her over.

I still say many people here are either having unrealistic expectations of Saki, or are greatly exaggerating her recent "weak" behavior. If she was truly as weak as people seem to think she is, she would be curled up in a corner somewhere, waiting for the nightmare to end, mission abandoned, or she would've simply lost her mind.
Old 2013-03-10, 20:57   Link #98
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

Quote:

Tomiko electing Saki to lead seemed strange to me. As an eventuality it was a fine choice and if Saki was taught the telemore reparation trick then all the better. However Saki is, just as Tomiko once was, unremarkable, inexperienced and presumably bested by 1/2 of the population in most respects. She's not the one you want to organize your desperate last ditch effort to save at the very least your culture and at worst prevent the annihilation of your species.

Then again, she hasn't been doing much leading. I suppose one might argue that it's a desirable trait in a leader to know when to leave the ones being led to their own devices. But if that's all you can do you're definitively not a leader and should not be presented as such. I can't think of a single meaningful contribution Saki has made during this road trip and that bothers me because while she's always been somewhat bland (alas the curse of a many the POV-characters) she's been one of the more enjoyable characters in the series.

It's like her only purpose in this arc is to be a constant relatable presence to the audience with no other trait or function than to voice our perceived thoughts (i.e. yuck... dirt, bat shit, mites and slugs) and the occasional bathing scene. Would it hurt that much to have Saki ask the little library thing an insightful question? I want to see the proactive Saki again, the Saki that restored Satoru's cantus and led him to victory in the first rat war arc and the Saki that evaded the village guards and faced the village's horrors to find Shun in the arc that followed after that.

Saki characterization this arc up til and in this episode is hurting the series. But it looks like that's going to change. With Inui dead, Kiromaru turned and Satoru either on the run or reduced to a damsel. She'll have to do something. And I'll have great effect on how I'll rate the ending.

Last edited by Repelsteeltju; 2013-03-10 at 21:19.
Old 2013-03-10, 21:15   Link #99
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
It's not just the bad posts - there are tons of spoilers dropped nonchalantly too. Look at all the deleted posts and banned posters just in this thread.

That comes from a particular user who has been attempting to circumvent bans. The bulk of the posters here have been very good about discussing spoilers, with a few exceptions here and there that always crop up, usually just from excitement.

Psycho Pass is an original work. It's a bit harder to spoil people when no one knows what is going to happen in the next episode.

As for quality of discussion, well, that's what happens when a show like this, which clearly isn't popular (though it should be, imo ), has such a small community. There's no huge name like Gen attached to it. The source material is largely untranslated, so there's no built in fanbase prior to airing. There isn't really any fanservice or ecchi content. It's not graphically violent. A lot of the plot is through conversation, but without the wacky antics to make it "less boring" like Shaft and some other studios use. And there's really no characters to ship (although some have tried).

So forgive me if this sounds a bit defensive, but it feels a bit lame for you to appear in the thread and deride the community that has formed around this show because you don't believe it meets your standards for quality discussion.
Old 2013-03-10, 21:31   Link #100
4Tran

My complaint wasn't based on just this thread. I was going to write a post after watching episode 16, but I gave up on that after seeing spoilers about Maria's child. Then, jump to this thread, and I was seeing more of the same. While it may be an overreaction on my part, I'm also uncomfortable posting in this sub-forum.