AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2006-12-20, 02:50   Link #1
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Looking for co-author for Kairin manga (an anyone with ideas/suggestions)

Ok guys, if you hadn't already heard, the cat's out of the bag that we're starting a manga based on Animesuki's mascot Kairin. Kiva128 will be heading up the drawing for it, but doesn't need any help yet because he can't start till I get him at least the rough draft for the manga plot, basic storyline and some other stuff to work with. Now this is where you guys come in. I am looking for one, possibly two people who are very serious about writing, have good writing skills and would be interested in working on the manga in a script writing capacity. You would be helping me develop the charecters, the story, plot, etc, etc. IE, all of the core elements of the story. PM me if you're interested (or post here) so we can get rolling on this. I want to have something I can hand Kiva128 come the end of January.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I've already started the idea, but other views and suggestions from fellow writers is always welcome. Also, even if you can't write, I'd still be interested in hearing your ideas for things we could do in the story. Right now I've already determined several elements that will be in the story.

1. A Love Interest between Kairin and one of the other charecters.
2. Combat. Both mecha and magical. I'll explain this in more detail as I flesh it out some more. Don't worry, it'll be a good thing.
3. Comedy. Ya gotta have at least a little sillyness in there somewhere.
4. Chibi (goes with #3.)
5. A selfish, self centered bad guy with a teired "strongest leads" type command structure and army.
6. At least one insane guy. Hey, the insane ones make things more fun and interesting.
7. A revealing of second identies for all the main charecters. (goes with #2.)

There's a lot more that I've already worked up so far, but that's just a general overview for those wanting to share ideas. Like I said, I hope to get a basic script to Kiva128 by the end of January for approval so he can approve, disapprove, and help us iron out any parts before he starts drawing. I'd love to see him and anyone else who helps him get the first chapter to you guys by the 1st of February. Thanks in advance guys.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 08:03   Link #2
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Umm...I'm just going to clear some things up before things get out of hand.

First of all, I never actually said I was doing a manga. I'm far too busy for that. Secondly, if and when there ever is going to be a Kairin manga, chances are I'll be writing the script. Not that I have anything against anyone but if you look at any successful manga, 95% of them where drawn and written by the artist. At least if I do it that way and no one likes it, it's my fault and no one else's. Besides, no one knows Kairin better than I do and you can take that to the bank. I've spent more time thinking of a story than probably anyone here. And I seem to work best by myself regardless.

Lord Raiden, I took a look at your brief synopsis at the writingforums and to be perfectly honest, I don't think that story would best suit Kairin. Sci-fi and Kairin don't mix in my opinion. I realize you were excited about this but I think you let that get the best of you. Remember I said you could write a story since there's nothing wrong with that. But in truth I wasn't planning on using any story other than my own. And I do apologize if I mislead you on that. But as I said, there more than likely won't even be a manga due to the immense amount of time it would take (I wouldn't do some half-assed version). You're looking at multiple chapters, possibly multiple arcs, thousands of pages, thousands of hours and it would be just me doing this. Which is why I know you want people to write the story so it goes faster. But getting more than 1 person do a story isn't really the best of ideas since we all have an idea of what's better to do and no one would really agree for the most part.

Anyways, what else can I say. Not the response you were expecting no doubt but I had to clear things up. In anycase you can still continue writing a story if you wish (although please don't make it sci-fi ).
Old 2006-12-20, 08:34   Link #3
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Alright, that's fine then. And just to prevent any confusion, if a mod wants to just remove this thread, that'd be cool.
Old 2006-12-20, 12:32   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
if a mod wants to just remove this thread
I don't... but will if you insist.

As far as I'm concerned, provided the use is respectful (i.e. not something we would consider banning under objectionable content rules), I'm happy to see groups of forum goers work on any Kairin related projects... Manga, Fan-Fiction, Costume-Play outfits, Art, etc.

While I agree with Kiva, that Kairin doesn't really come across as the "Sci-Fi lead" type, I wouldn't want my interpretation to stop you writing your own stories involving her if you want to. Kiva's range of wallpapers have already shown how versatile Kairin can be

Please don't let Kiva's desire to work on his own, and strictly within his original / evolving concept of who Kairin is, dampen your enthusiasm or creativity. If you have an idea, run with it. If it doesn't work, at least you tried. You'll never know how good Kairin could be in the role unless you do . If you don't feel confident drawing, there are a number other artists on this forum that might like to join in...
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 12:41   Link #5
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I definitely don't suggest mixing Kairin and Sci-fi. Mixing genres is always iffy, and the only thing that immediately comes to mind that has mixed sci-fi and magic successfully is Final Fantasy.

BTW Kiva, can I get a link to your manga? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
Old 2006-12-20, 13:07   Link #6
Kiva128
Kairin-chan's #1 Fan
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
BTW Kiva, can I get a link to your manga? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.
You could if I had one.
The only manga if ever done is a Naruto fan manga thing which is well...old (and only 1 chapter...I do have chapter 2 scanned but haven't finished the script/touch ups on it). If you still want to see that I suppose I could upload it again.
Old 2006-12-20, 17:10   Link #7
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
As far as I'm concerned, provided the use is respectful (i.e. not something we would consider banning under objectionable content rules), I'm happy to see groups of forum goers work on any Kairin related projects... Manga, Fan-Fiction, Costume-Play outfits, Art, etc.
YAY! Good to here.

Quote:
While I agree with Kiva, that Kairin doesn't really come across as the "Sci-Fi lead" type, I wouldn't want my interpretation to stop you writing your own stories involving her if you want to. Kiva's range of wallpapers have already shown how versatile Kairin can be
Hmm, well, I respect that opinion. But to me, charecters tend to be far more diverse than just one set Genre. For example, just because you're an elf doesn't mean you're limited to just the fantasy genre and stories with magic. heh. If you've seen any of my stories or novels, that'd become quickly apparent. I don't stick to just one genre when writing. I find that mixing genres gives a much richer story with much greater flexibility and charecter. My "Land of the Lions" series mixes fantasy with sci-fi and tosses in minor elements of several other genres to create a very rich story. If Kiva128 sees Kairin as an entirely different charecter than what I've imagined (and this is only one possible charecter type. I've considred about 20 others as well in my developmental work) then I'm cool with that. I'd probubly feel a bit protective too of some of the charecters I've created in my books if someone re-envisioned them as something different. So with that in mind, I'm ok with the differing viewpoints. It makes things more interesting.

Quote:
Please don't let Kiva's desire to work on his own, and strictly within his original / evolving concept of who Kairin is, dampen your enthusiasm or creativity. If you have an idea, run with it. If it doesn't work, at least you tried. You'll never know how good Kairin could be in the role unless you do . If you don't feel confident drawing, there are a number other artists on this forum that might like to join in...
Alright, fair enough. We can keep the thread then. But that still means I need a co-author to help me with some of the ideas for this. I guess I'm having trouble moving into this smoothly because I'm still sorta stuck in my Lion/Sarengeti mode from the last book I worked on and just haven't completely shifted gears yet.

I'm also eventually going to need (an) artist(s) once we get the script put together.
Old 2006-12-22, 08:40   Link #8
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

In my opinion (though I don't know if it matters), I guess it should be alright to create a story, treated and quite similar to a doujinshi of sorts for a series (i.e. Nanoha A's doijinshi where Raging Heart is depicted as a crazy, vengeful device, for laughs of course). But of course, the use of another one's character should always be, as NightWish stated, respectful and not distorted (i.e Pinnochio wearing a thong in Shrek 2)

Just my 0.02.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 08:58   Link #9
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Yup, I agree. That's why I'm putting so much effort into doing a good quality and respectable represenation of the charecter while creating a fun story.
Old 2006-12-22, 22:25   Link #10
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Quote:
(i.e Pinnochio wearing a thong in Shrek 2)

Just my 0.02.
Or Robin carrying a purple dildo in Batman & Robin.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-23, 00:30   Link #11
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I have a suggestion first start by giving a personality to Karin .

* What is karin like

* Her Personality

* Her Likes / Dislikes

Her intrests

* How do others see her ( Karin's Freinds )

* Her Love Intrest if any

That way sketch out her chara then create other charas . If you wanna discuss about this suggestion please do also if you need a coauthor will be glad to help

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-12-23 at 00:40.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote