AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-13, 13:23   Link #2321
tezu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I'm not really sure how still liking Hikari makes Chisaki a child, mentally or otherwise, considering it's his personality she likes, not his age, and many of the personality traits that Hikari displays like determination, being emotionally and physically supportive of those he cares about, having a go to/go get'em attitude are rather admiral traits at any age. I'd like to think that regardless of Hikari being 14 or 40 he'd probably pretty much act the same way, with perhaps a bit of mellowing out as he aged. Yes, I do think she needs to move on because Hikari clearly loves Manaka, but I can see why she's still into him because he still possesses traits that she admires.
Good point there. Chisaki seems to like the type of guy who takes the initiative, a guy who just grabs her by the hand and pulls her along with him (which seems to make sense, because Chisaki's passive and introverted). And that's something I've been wondering about - would Tsumugu or Kaname be a good match for Chisaki? While they can be determined and supportive as well, they're more the calm/waiting type. They aren't extroverted like Hikari, who openly shows his protectiveness and determination (thus attracting more girls? ). I wonder if Chisaki will ever feel as safe with Tsumugu or Kaname as with Hikari - and right now I don't see how any of these two can sweep her off her feet like Hikari does. That kind of sucks.
tezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 13:28   Link #2322
Zangor17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
I just watched the episode. I told you so

Chisaki is still in love with Hikari and some people said no she loves tsumugu. Well here you have it.

According to the story the grandpa told chisaki. Who is the one who Manaka loves? I still think it's Tsumugu.

But the question is, do we get a good or bad ending. I'm fearing for the last
Doubt its Tsumugu, him and manaka had too few moments to really get close. It's almost 100% Hikari by this point considering the last interaction between Hikari and her she said she had something she wanted to tell him after the Ofuneki which is most likely a confession.
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 13:37   Link #2323
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangor17 View Post
Doubt its Tsumugu, him and manaka had too few moments to really get close. It's almost 100% Hikari by this point considering the last interaction between Hikari and her she said she had something she wanted to tell him after the Ofuneki which is most likely a confession.
But if Manaka really loved him why hold back? If she told him she likes Hikari at that time he would have been the happiest boy on the world and his energy would have been above 120% for the festival. But she didn't, why make him feel such anxiety if the reponse to his confession was a positive one? Maybe she just wanted to have time before telling him she didn't want to change their relationship and keep being good friends, but that would've made him feel depressed and mabe Manaka didn't want that during the festival.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 14:03   Link #2324
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
But if Manaka really loved him why hold back? If she told him she likes Hikari at that time he would have been the happiest boy on the world and his energy would have been above 120% for the festival. But she didn't, why make him feel such anxiety if the reponse to his confession was a positive one? Maybe she just wanted to have time before telling him she didn't want to change their relationship and keep being good friends, but that would've made him feel depressed and mabe Manaka didn't want that during the festival.

I don't think Manaka would have looked as happy as she did if she was just going to reject Hikari after the festival. That's generally something you dread having to do. If my memory is correct she was smiling happily when she told Hikari that she had something to tell him afterwards. Makes me think she was going to confess as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezu View Post
Good point there. Chisaki seems to like the type of guy who takes the initiative, a guy who just grabs her by the hand and pulls her along with him (which seems to make sense, because Chisaki's passive and introverted). And that's something I've been wondering about - would Tsumugu or Kaname be a good match for Chisaki? While they can be determined and supportive as well, they're more the calm/waiting type. They aren't extroverted like Hikari, who openly shows his protectiveness and determination (thus attracting more girls? ). I wonder if Chisaki will ever feel as safe with Tsumugu or Kaname as with Hikari - and right now I don't see how any of these two can sweep her off her feet like Hikari does. That kind of sucks.
This kind of goes back to what Akari mentioned about the talk she had with her mom and why she married her dad, and how regardless of where he came from she would have married him because of who he is, not what he is.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 14:10   Link #2325
Birdway
Banned

I would need to rewatch to tell if that was a smile for compromise or just to not worry Hikari.
Old 2014-02-13, 14:19   Link #2326
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I don't think Manaka would have looked as happy as she did if she was just going to reject Hikari after the festival. That's generally something you dread having to do. If my memory is correct she was smiling happily when she told Hikari that she had something to tell him afterwards. Makes me think she was going to confess as well.

This kind of goes back to what Akari mentioned about the talk she had with her mom and why she married her dad, and how regardless of where he came from she would have married him because of who he is, not what he is.
Quote:
I would need to rewatch to tell if that was a smile for compromise or just to not worry Hikari.
i agree with cloudminded she not aware of what gonna happen(the fail) then she just look like tried to does this in a more happy moment after everything ending, just look at what she told and how she told, she even say to him hold strong the flag for her, after her talk with the slugue and tsugumu she made clear who her feelings for tsugume was just a flash thing than really love and her true love is hikari(even the anime keep hints thins in the scene where hikari get her from the sea all the spark when the thing surround her disappear.

she was obvious about to accept his confession but she just waited to do this after the festival ending to make a happy surprise for him, but the festival ending completly wrong and she not was able to tel the things, just rewatch, at this point manaka x tsugume ship was clear drowed and crashed in the "sea".
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 14:42   Link #2327
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
she was obvious about to accept his confession but she just waited to do this after the festival ending to make a happy surprise for him, but the festival ending completly wrong and she not was able to tel the things, just rewatch, at this point manaka x tsugume ship was clear drowed and crashed in the "sea".
I think no one ever said if Manaka likes Tsumugu it's going to be a manaka x tsumugu ending. We are only saying what if manaka loves tsumugu?

You can love someone but that doesn't mean it's 100% you will end up with the one you love. Because it can also be one sided.

I also see other hints in the first half (episode 1 till 12) that point towards Manaka liking tsumugu. Did you forget the conversation with Chisaki about her feelings? and how she wants to be with land people? And about the scene when she wanted to tell something to Hikari. It doesn't necessary have to say that she was going to confess to him.
Old 2014-02-13, 14:58   Link #2328
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_Tsuki View Post
I think no one ever said if Manaka likes Tsumugu it's going to be a manaka x tsumugu ending. We are only saying what if manaka loves tsumugu?

You can love someone but that doesn't mean it's 100% you will end up with the one you love. Because it can also be one sided.

I also see other hints in the first half (episode 1 till 12) that point towards Manaka liking tsumugu. Did you forget the conversation with Chisaki about her feelings? and how she wants to be with land people? And about the scene when she wanted to tell something to Hikari. It doesn't necessary have to say that she was going to confess to him.
i'm not talking about episode 1 or 2 where the thing was just started but later as the series progress the things started to looks clear to where every flag was turning

hikari to manaka, manaka to hikari, tusugume to chisaki, chisaki to hikari while some hints to tsugume, kaname to chisaki, then after time skip miuna to hikari, her friend to kaname, tsugume to to chisaki, chisaki still unsure to where to look(between hikari and tsugume) and things like that

again their were childrens, tusugume was the first land people who manaka find and in a special way(being fished by him) then this can easy lead to wrong, she missunderstood confusing impression with romance but as the series progress we see her learning toward the person where she have true feelings specially after she learn who also chisaki is in love with hikari triggering jealous and insecurity since she start to see who maybe their got ending fall appart(her relationship with hikari), then less and less or i can say more and more become clear for her who he feelings toward tsugume was nothing more than just a thrill.

to sumarize was a case of overeaction/overestimate between manaka and tsugume specially from her side, she sal a "ikemen"(emotionless) guy who is smart and less impulssive than hikari and a chance to know better about the living in the land then that feelings get missunderstood by love.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 16:20   Link #2329
Excorsism

This has to be the first time I've seen frustration displayed in the form of mouth/jaw trembling (in anime anyway). I could feel the frustration and it sucks. He was doomed to fail since his good conscience wouldn't let someone to die off like that.

Where are you Sayu?

Chisaki's a lost cause either way, .
Old 2014-02-13, 17:43   Link #2330
ices
Working Hard

I'll mention it first here:
Akari knows the continuation of the Ojoshi-sama story, hence she choose to being the Ojoshi-sama.

Well, now I know what the motives behind Akari sacrifice. If that story is true then Akari, although sacrificed in the Ofuneki, will end up to the surface again and go back to Itaru. But, man... that was a risky move.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 18:55   Link #2331
Pablete
Banned

I feel bad for Kaname(as usual), the disadvantage is so huge and what is worst is... he knows that, he is being overwhelmed by it but he doesn't gives up(that's commendable), too bad he never gets a break against someone who seems to be sure he can get what he wants(Tsumugu seems sure he and Chisaki can go on together).

Edit:

Next episode seems like Hikari is going to bully Uroko

Last edited by Pablete; 2014-02-13 at 19:10.
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 19:12   Link #2332
Lugia_Tsuyu
Damn, I'm good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablete View Post
I feel bad for Kaname(as usual), the disadvantage is so huge and what is worst is... he knows that, he is being overwhelmed by it but he doesn't gives up(that's commendable), too bad he never gets a break against someone who seems to be sure he can get what he wants(Tsumugu seems sure he and Chisaki can go on together).
I don't think that was what Tsumugu meant. I think it's more like now Chisaki doesn't have be lost between guilt/uncertainty of the past/present (whatever that girl is feeling before the other three came back) and he himself doesn't have to hold back (that much) about his feelings anymore because all the players in this love heptagon are back in the picture.

Seeing the next episode preview gave me a strange urge to ship Tsumugu x Miuna (as if the current situation is not dramatic enough )
Lugia_Tsuyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 19:19   Link #2333
Pablete
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Tsuyu View Post
I don't think that was what Tsumugu meant. I think it's more like now Chisaki doesn't have be lost between guilt/uncertainty of the past/present (whatever that girl is feeling before the other three came back) and he himself doesn't have to hold back (that much) about his feelings anymore because all the players in this love heptagon are back in the picture.

Seeing the next episode preview gave me a strange urge to ship Tsumugu x Miuna (as if the current situation is not dramatic enough )
However, in that same scene he aknowledeged Kaname as rival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugia_Tsuyu View Post

o______________________o

Tsumugu is ntring everyone!!!!
Pablete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 19:26   Link #2334
lightbringer
M9000

They are sure playing the Manaka card for maximum drama. Now she's back on the surface but in coma. Just let her wake up already and get it over with, I'm tired of it already.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 19:36   Link #2335
ices
Working Hard

^ @lightbringer I'm sure Manaka is still in sleep mode. Unlike what happened to the others two, she was brought to surface by Hikari and friends. Not by the sea current. Not by the sea-god intention. Hence probably she actually still hibernating.
Old 2014-02-13, 19:57   Link #2336
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, for those who have disliked all of the Miuna/Sayu focus of the 2nd half of the show, this episode was clearly for you. Sayu was nowhere to be seen during the episode, and Miuna's role was actually pretty minor.

Also, it looks like the main POV and narrator role isn't always Miuna's, here in the 2nd half. In this latest episode, the main POV and narrator role was clearly Chisaki's. So it does look like the show is reinforcing its Ensemble Cast focus, and not focusing too heavily on any one character. Personally, I'm glad about that, as I think it better balances the narrative and lets us get a greater sense of each character's perspective.

That being said, I'm not without complaints here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vieri32 View Post
Kaname really annoyed me this episode. He now just seems so petty and bitter, and he even said he considered leaving Tsumugu to drown 5 years ago, at the moment he just looks like a real asshole.
I agree. Kaname really came off poorly in this episode, imo. I get that his current circumstances are a tough and bitter pill to swallow, and so I'm not without sympathy for him, but Tsumugu hasn't really done anything to deserve Kaname's harsh hostility here. If anything, Kaname is now under the care of Tsumugu and Chisaki - He should be grateful that they're taking care of him and giving him a comfortable place to stay at.

I'm not surprised that Chisaki isn't totally over Hikari yet, but I admit I am a bit surprised that she's still as smitten with him as she's ever been.

I wonder if one of the central themes of this work is the importance of letting go, of 'growing up'? Chisaki throwing back on her old student uniform, even though it's now clearly too small for her, was a symbolically strong scene in that respect.
Old 2014-02-13, 20:06   Link #2337
ices
Working Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, for those who have disliked all of the Miuna/Sayu focus of the 2nd half of the show, this episode was clearly for you. Sayu was nowhere to be seen during the episode, and Miuna's role was actually pretty minor.

Also, it looks like the main POV and narrator role isn't always Miuna's, here in the 2nd half. In this latest episode, the main POV and narrator role was clearly Chisaki's. So it does look like the show is reinforcing its Ensemble Cast focus, and not focusing too heavily on any one character. Personally, I'm glad about that, as I think it better balances the narrative and lets us get a greater sense of each character's perspective.

That being said, I'm not without complaints here.

I agree. Kaname really came off poorly in this episode, imo. I get that his current circumstances are a tough and bitter pill to swallow, and so I'm not without sympathy for him, but Tsumugu hasn't really done anything to deserve Kaname's harsh hostility here. If anything, Kaname is now under the care of Tsumugu and Chisaki - He should be grateful that they're taking care of him and giving him a comfortable place to stay at.

I'm not surprised that Chisaki isn't totally over Hikari yet, but I admit I am a bit surprised that she's still as smitten with him as she's ever been.

I wonder if one of the central themes of this work is the importance of letting go, of 'growing up'? Chisaki throwing back on her old student uniform, even though it's now clearly too small for her, was a symbolically strong scene in that respect.
Now, I'm wondering what was the cause of this harsh hostility. Previously Kaname and Tsumugu looks okay together. Is Kaname not believing on Tsumugu because of he and his professor hide the fact of their investigation from public? Or Kaname feel jealous since He can't be mature like Tsumugu?
Old 2014-02-13, 20:11   Link #2338
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Now, I'm wondering what was the cause of this harsh hostility. Previously Kaname and Tsumugu looks okay together. Is Kaname not believing on Tsumugu because of he and his professor hide the fact of their investigation from public? Or Kaname feel jealous since He can't be mature like Tsumugu?
That's just him frustrated, nothing else. He isn't jealous because Tsumugu is "mature" when Kaname himself also is, he is jealous due to the 5 years gap that left him behind.
Old 2014-02-13, 20:17   Link #2339
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
I think Kaname resents Tsumugu's more cautious and reserved approach to things. It's more "adult", but in Kaname's eyes, it might also be more pretentious and/or wasteful.

Both pre and post-time skip, Kaname has been very straightforward to Chisaki about his feelings for her. Tsumugu, OTOH, is giving her a lot of space, isn't really pushing his feelings for her forward, and he's been like this for a long time.

Kaname might be thinking "If I was in Tsumugu's spot, I wouldn't be wasting Chisaki's fondness for me."

Their brief argument over whether or not Tsumugu should be keeping things secret for now is reflective here - Kaname prefers transparency and honesty and quickness, Tsumugu focuses more on being prudent and responsible and aiming for longer-term success. Their argument is very reflective of their differing approaches to Chisaki herself.

Mind you, to a certain degree, these are just (likely) rationalizations for pure jealousy. Since the rationalizations can be made, though, Kaname probably feels more justified in being harsh and petty.
Old 2014-02-13, 20:23   Link #2340
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well it was also a bit of fanservice, although this show is generally pretty light on it so I can't complain too much.

That being said I think "change" in general has been a constant theme of this series. And it isn't just the change that the characters experienced after the time skip, but early on there was major changes for the characters when they left the sea village to live on the land.

The characters themselves are changing and people around them are changing.

However I think this episode brings up an interesting point. People might say Chisaki is immature and maybe that is true. She is a bit stuck in her 14 year old persona, but I would also argue being 19 isn't exactly "grown up" either. I feel Chisaki is in a weird place because yes she is 19 and older but all her childhood friends are still 14.

Tags
drama, harem, love polygon, mari okada, p.a. works, romance, seinen