AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-12, 21:42   Link #961
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Wow, Macross Frontier's voice cast is shaping up quite nicely. Not only is there female vocal staff solid with Kuwashima Houko, Kobayashi Sanae, Toyoguchi Megumi, Inoue Kikuko and Tanaka Rie, but the male cast is rounding out pretty well as well. The first episode pretty much sold me on the show already, but the prospect of seeing this cast, the combat choreography, and the prospect of watching giant Meltrans in their Queadluun-Raus seems absolutely amazing.
As long as Sugita Tomokazu's character doesn't have a sudden screaming fit (I doubt it) I'll be good. The cast is great though. All we need is one more key player to make it one of the best ever.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-12, 22:20   Link #962
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
As long as Sugita Tomokazu's character doesn't have a sudden screaming fit (I doubt it) I'll be good. The cast is great though. All we need is one more key player to make it one of the best ever.
Don't forget avoid having Souichirou Hoshi's character cry as well.

Still, as good as this cast appears to be getting, it's still a far cry from last year's Claymore.
Old 2008-03-12, 23:21   Link #963
Westlo
Lets be reality

I thought his crying as Kira was horrendous until the episode Sai cried after he couldn't move the Strike. Don't get me wrong it was still bad but it was put into perspective after Sai cried! Anyway I hope his Frontier character uses his Kazuma voice.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 03:42   Link #964
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I thought his crying as Kira was horrendous until the episode Sai cried after he couldn't move the Strike. Don't get me wrong it was still bad but it was put into perspective after Sai cried! Anyway I hope his Frontier character uses his Kazuma voice.
I don't really subscribe to the thought that Souchiro Hoshii's screams are bad. People seem to jump to conclusions as if that's the general knowledge but even as Kira, I thought he played it well. I think he did it better in Higurashi and other recent shows. Also his graininess when he screams is very unique to him and I think he does it well. I don't really care if I'm in the minority opinion on this.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 10:10   Link #965
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Don't forget avoid having Souichirou Hoshi's character cry as well.
It's more when he gets emotional that it sounds like he's having a stroke, not just crying. He could make Kira positively brutal to listen to at times. In fact I hated hearing him for the longest time after until Higurashi where he is pretty good.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 14:12   Link #966
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
kira? kira? i don't see any macross character called kira.... is that a spoiler? who is he? huh? huh?

Spoiler?

SpoileR??!

neeed....to.....knnoooowww!!
Old 2008-03-13, 15:22   Link #967
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I don't really subscribe to the thought that Souchiro Hoshii's screams are bad. People seem to jump to conclusions as if that's the general knowledge but even as Kira, I thought he played it well. I think he did it better in Higurashi and other recent shows. Also his graininess when he screams is very unique to him and I think he does it well. I don't really care if I'm in the minority opinion on this.
Souchiro Hoshi is probably a top 5 male va for me or at least in my top 10, he quickly became one of my favs after his impressive performances as Yuuki Aiba (Infinite Ryvuis) and Kazuma (Scryed).

I still feel his Kira Yamato was very average (more so the characters fault than Hoshis) and his crying was just horrible, I felt he handled that stuff much better as Kei Kusanagi (Please Teacher) and Keiichi Maebara (Higurashi). Anyway I'm looking forward to his role in Frontier since he's been pretty awesome as Makoto Oogami from Ghost Hound, his worst role by the way was Ginosuke from Tokyo Underground... what a horrible voice....
Old 2008-03-13, 16:37   Link #968
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Souchiro Hoshi is probably a top 5 male va for me or at least in my top 10, he quickly became one of my favs after his impressive performances as Yuuki Aiba (Infinite Ryvuis) and Kazuma (Scryed).

I still feel his Kira Yamato was very average (more so the characters fault than Hoshis) and his crying was just horrible, I felt he handled that stuff much better as Kei Kusanagi (Please Teacher) and Keiichi Maebara (Higurashi). Anyway I'm looking forward to his role in Frontier since he's been pretty awesome as Makoto Oogami from Ghost Hound, his worst role by the way was Ginosuke from Tokyo Underground... what a horrible voice....
oh...your talking about that kira?

*picks nose* huh....gundam....

ZzzzZZzZZzzz.... (- - )..ZzZZZZZz
Old 2008-03-13, 17:09   Link #969
ahmad

How are the macross series overall? Ive never seen it. I'll see if i can watch the first tv series if it is good. I really wanna see some good mecha
ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 17:18   Link #970
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad View Post
How are the macross series overall? Ive never seen it. I'll see if i can watch the first tv series if it is good. I really wanna see some good mecha
its NOTHING like Gundam.

hello?

heeelllllloooo?

Old 2008-03-13, 17:25   Link #971
ahmad

Is that a bad thing or a good thing ? :P
I don't really care, i watch all sorts of anime. Seems like your a fan of the series so tell me about it a little. If i were to start watching, should I start from the first tv series ? Will i miss anything if i start from Frontier?
ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 17:57   Link #972
4Tran

All of the Macross shows except for the remakes Do You Remember Love and Macross II are completely different from one another, so there's no overall quality for the franchise as a whole. I think that the original SDF Macross is one of the best anime ever made, but it's also over 25 years old, so it may not be as appealing as the newer shows.

Since just about every Macross show is different from the others, to enjoy the newer shows, it isn't necessary to watch the older ones. People who have seen the older works will probably get more out of Macross Frontier than new viewers, but I don't think that it's any sort of barrier for enjoyment. I would imagine that some of the unique Macross elements like the giant aliens might initially be confusing for new viewers, but feel free to ask such questions and somebody'll be happy to help you.

I think that it'd be best if you go ahead and watch Macross Frontier with the rest of us, and maybe explore the older works when you get the chance.
Old 2008-03-13, 18:07   Link #973
ThoHell

Quote:
I don't really care, i watch all sorts of anime. Seems like your a fan of the series so tell me about it a little. If i were to start watching, should I start from the first tv series ? Will i miss anything if i start from Frontier?
Don't mind GTO, he's a BADDDDDDDDDDDDD man. Sometimes he's ok though...SOMETIMES!

Anyways, I never watched the older Macross, but I did enjoy this one. I'm not into the old animation style, so I'm not going to bother with it and just going to wait for future Macross series. Ok, this is what I'm getting at: Macross Frontier was the first Macross I EVER watched and I liked it....
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 19:45   Link #974
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
Well if we have a Macross Forum on our own, we can create a faq post for the first viewers
Cadorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-13, 19:53   Link #975
Westlo
Lets be reality

I'm expecting a Macross sub forum to be up before episode 3 airs.
Old 2008-03-14, 01:30   Link #976
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
I would say that's both a good and bad thing because like others have said, there's some disconnect between one Macross show to the next even when they're fully canon (except for the alternate retelling as in the movies of course). Gundam, however convoluted it can get, at least follows a straight plot in their own universes.

Unlike some others have said, I would at least recommend watching the original Macross show. It's sorta/kinda like the prerequisite of watching Mobile Suit Gundam to get a true feeling of the other Gundam shows. Except the plot of Macross plays more directly to the central plots of all the spinoffs and sequels so far. I actually think the watchability of new shows of Gundam and Macross ilk are around the same. You don't need to watch the previous editions, but watching the original will get your boots wet and are great trainers for the full course.

As for the watchability in itself regarding decades-old shows, I do feel that both Gundam and Macross in their first iterations had freakishly good budget for their times and both seemed to push the boundaries of animation for their time. I personally think they stand the test of time pretty well. Just watch a few episodes and you'll most likely be used to it already. I went through the same thing recently. I mean, my PARENTS were into those shows way back when.

I also would heavily recommend Macross Plus and Zero just to get amped about it all and enjoy great OVAs in the meantime.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 09:06   Link #977
Westlo
Lets be reality

If you don't have the time to watch a 36 episode series before Frontier premieres at least watch Plus, being only 4 OVA episodes long you should be able to finish that. It's quite a brilliant show in a different way from the original and is still imo the best showcase of Yoko Kanno's musical and vocal talents.
Old 2008-03-14, 09:32   Link #978
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Red face

Quote:
ignore Thohell, he just doesn't appreciate the religious devotion i have to this series.

While 4Trans & Superknuckle more or less explained it to you, the one major factor you will appreciate in Macross is that while it's an mecha anime and therefore feature a lot of technology. The emphasis is not on the "amazing" and "powerful" weapons one side has over the other, but the celebration of standard issued or simply a better weapon model that can only be enhanced by the skill of the pilots.

In Gundam, there is something similiar in that while the technology mix in experimental with mass-production the focus is on those special "units" who are more or less equally matched, so it drops down to the skill of the pilots.

in macross it is more less the reverse, the units the pilots used are all related and more or less have the equal, no one unit stands above the rest, nor have any real advantages.

It more less drops down to the skill and courage of the pilots.

Another difference is that in Macross universe,

MENTALLY UNSTABLE TEENAGERS DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO PILOT MULTI-BILLION WORTH OF MILITARY EQUIPMENT.

Level headed and sometimes hot headed, but always qualified.

The fact is that Macross is pretty much anti-war in it's ethics, that cultural theme is the best way to settle disputes and worlds.

But they don't lack the courage to fight for their survival in this hostile universe.

Gundam always looks within the conflict and flaws of the human race always presenting a pessimistic view on our species

Macross sees the BEST in humans, it is the optimist of the space drama.

Humans are strong when we are united, when we are against the rest of the universe.

That's not to say the internal conflict did not happen, you have only to look to Macross Zero, and the beginning of the first series to know that the humans of the Macross universe have suffered at another global and unifying war, and even GENOCIDE!
Culture specifically Proto-culture saved the human race, and it is a means to a civilized existences the battles we see are merely the icing on the cake as they reach out to progress to a greater goal!!

*gasp*

MACROSS HALLOW BY THY NAME!!!

*sprinkle holy lubricant oil everywhere*

Old 2008-03-14, 10:56   Link #979
DeotoxSlayer

Wow Onizuka...I was impressed I actually though you were being serious for once, but then you had to ruin it witht hat last line...
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-14, 13:34   Link #980
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Macross does that.It CHANGES you, comrade.

I personally blame protodevils and Macross 7, its all that flying and speaker podding.

*grumble while he sings to some sunflowers*

Tags
action, romance