AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-15, 13:20   Link #181
Utter_iMADNESS
Life's better in a harem.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
that makes two of us
I guess that makes three of us then
My parents think that anything that isn't directly school related is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulassassin547 View Post
I have no issues about me watching Negima while my dad's around, but as for my sister, she thinks that me dabbling in the culture and making Marimite wallpapers right in front of her computer thinks I'm wasting my time the wrong way and not earning something from it...

But screw it, like the Ugly Duckling, today's wallpaper/avatar/signature freak may soon gets the job as a professional CG artist; scanslator may someday becomes a skilled translator; a fansub editor soon becomes a top-class video editor for a broadcasting company; or a fanfic writer blossoms into an acclaimed novelist. It just takes time and guts to prove to the naysayers that it's possible to earn more than just the paycheck... It's the respect.

That's what'll tell my sis if I manage to survive a year in the job I'm holding right now.
I agree with your points. Avatar/signature/wallpaper making has introduced me to the world of digital arts. I'd never even thought of ever using photoshop or working with graphics design, but now I'm proficient with the program and have become a lot more artistic. I also began to make a lot of drawings of anime characters which has helped be learn a lot about drawing and art. When my mother saw one of my pictures she said that it was very well done, but that it was a waste of time >.<

Anime also helped me learn a lot more about computers. I always preferred to watch anime in hi-def, so I began learning about different computer parts and specs. And since a lot of things related to anime are done on the computer, I continued to learn more and eventually began learning programming languages and building my own computers.
Old 2008-06-15, 15:37   Link #182
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
I chuckle at how many people go "you'll never get anywhere doing that!"
My father said the same thing about my playing games, and then I started working for EA (as does my husband) so he had to eat those words
Sure, if you call working for EA "getting anywhere".

Just kidding!

It's an excellent point: Many people are simply not open to things that they don't understand. My father gave me nine kinds of heck for always being on the computer... Until I started working an IT job. Now I never hear a peep out of him.

This isn't just anime. It's anything. Somewhere out there is some one who is being given crap about having a hobby of drawing... or music... or just about anything. Some will prove the nay-sayers wrong by being productive with it. Others won't... and that's OK! There's nothing wrong with leisure activity.

But if you want others to understand it, you need to make it palatable for them! Your hobbies get a lot less acceptance if you are a lazy, rebellious loser, and any interest they MIGHT have is best nurtured by a form they will enjoy (my father loved "Grave of the Fireflies", and while my mother never liked any anime she's seen, she was a lot more less put off by my hobbies after enjoying "Shall We Dance").

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 11:41   Link #183
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The griefing part (sometimes I think of these sorts of parents as "griefers") is that they often have activities that are thoroughly non-productive (spends 3+hrs a night watching banal television) or sports *spectating* or standing around talking about sports or what they saw on television last night....

In comparison, anime (games, hobbies, etc) are scintillating.....

(yes, I'm a parent and am often agog at what comes out of the mouth of people my age or even a couple of decades younger.... )
Old 2008-06-16, 21:59   Link #184
Girl_who_cried_gnome
lover of the g-pa hair

hmmm well its not like i hide the fact that i like anime and manga from my parents it's just that they really wouldn't understand so i just don't say anything. i am still pretty new with this whole experience.... it was just the beginning of the past school year that i became interested with it. Before that the only anime that i really liked was the original pokemon series... and i expressed it greatly with posters, plushies, and other merchandise galore.

lol. i remember when i asked my mom if i could go with the few of my friends that actually liked anime to see the death note movie when it was subbed for american theaters. her reaction was "hmmm death note? *googles it* the only thing i see for death note is an anime series..." and i was just like " yup. thats it." i tried to explain to my dad how the plots in anime are so intricate and actually a challenge to comprehend at times... unlike the standard brainless american shit... and he was just like "hmmm sounds interesting but some of those shows are just plain weird :|" not to offend anyone but my parents do not understand asian, mostly japanese, culture in the least bit.... they find it odd and sometimes a wee bit overwhelming supposedly
Girl_who_cried_gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-16, 22:23   Link #185
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter_iMADNESS View Post
My parents think that anything that isn't directly school related is a waste of time.

[snip]

When my mother saw one of my pictures she said that it was very well done, but that it was a waste of time >.<
Go to art school. That'll show 'em.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 02:20   Link #186
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Art school for the win..... if you can't outshout them, then addle them with koans.
Old 2008-06-17, 06:06   Link #187
Utter_iMADNESS
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maids! Maids! Maids! View Post
Go to art school. That'll show 'em.
That always is an option. But it also seems that my parents have some sort of expectation for me to become an engineer. It's probably because all 20 or so of my male cousins and all my uncles are engineers. So in my parent's mind, male = engineering. Now that I think about it, many of my female cousins and aunts are teachers...I guess my family isn't too creative about career choices.
Old 2008-06-17, 08:16   Link #188
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter_iMADNESS View Post
That always is an option. But it also seems that my parents have some sort of expectation for me to become an engineer. It's probably because all 20 or so of my male cousins and all my uncles are engineers. So in my parent's mind, male = engineering. Now that I think about it, many of my female cousins and aunts are teachers...I guess my family isn't too creative about career choices.
Don't let that hinder you from picking the path you want to, though. Yes, i know there is the present voice at the back of one's head that tells you must meet some expectations, and perhaps to some extent you should try to do that ... but a line has to be drawn. In the end the choice is your's and you won't be happy studying or working in a field that doesn't really interest you, especially if you know what you would rather be doing instead. I learned this the hard way. I spent two years studying in a field that didn't really interest me, and although the choice was never pushed on me to any degree i sort of "knew" what everyone expected me to do. After actually working in the field for a period of time i fully realized that is not what i want to do.

As such i abandoned my old education and switched to one more in line with my personal interests. (Though i realize that is a luxury not everyone may be able to afford). I won't call those two years wasted - it is all learning experience and additional knowledge is never a hindrance. Just remember that it is your call to make in the end, and working in a field that personally interests you is likely to be more fulfilling than doing something someone else "expects" you to do. If your interests match those expectations then it is all good, but since that doesn't seem to be entirely the case i would say it is worth giving some thought to which one is more important to you.
Old 2008-06-17, 10:16   Link #189
Utter_iMADNESS
*Graphic Designer

Thanks Skyfall. Don't worry, I'm not one to follow other people's expectations regarding my life and decisions. The main reason that my parents seem to have this expectation is that they're very closed minded which is the complete opposite of me. I always like to try new things and am always open to new ideas. Though I'm not exactly sure of what I'm going to be doing in the future. I've got one more year of highschool left so I'm going to have to choose something soon. Hopefully I'll be able to think this through thoroughly over the summer break. But whatever I end up doing, I'll make sure that it's something that I want to do myself, not something that someone else wants me to do.

BTW, I'm glad to hear that you're doing something that you like now compared to what you were doing before. though I hope that I won't have to switch tracks in the future.
Old 2008-06-17, 10:30   Link #190
Amray

My whole household know what a massive fan I am of Anime. I watch my boxsets of them practically every night. My Mothers boyfriend also does not really mind sitting through some of them when I am occupying the Tele, such as Gunslinger Girl and Samurai Champloo.

The only thing my Mum has really said about it is "Whenever I turn around I see something violent happening" in a jokingly way, and once when watching Samurai Champloo all she said was "All the characters look like teddy bears". XD
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 13:34   Link #191
FLCL
I've been Kawarolled

Send a message via AIM to FLCL
my dad doesnt really care he thinks its just good language practice

my mom is chinese and is fine with me.

my stepdad on the other hands LOVES watching serious anime movies like jin roh, GITS, etc...

lol
FLCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-17, 20:11   Link #192
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

.. My mom couldn't stand it at first ..she always said stop watching cartoons ..yada yada
Old 2009-03-17, 05:49   Link #193
christine_cute
A total anime freak^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
.. My mom couldn't stand it at first ..she always said stop watching cartoons ..yada yada
ya...same is the case with my mom.....she thinks that anime is for children and compared it with cartoons like tom and jerry, powerpuff girls and stuff

She wouldn't even let me go to the anime and manga convention in the malls and instruct me to get a bit MATURED.

But i will never leave it anyways and she probably understands me now
christine_cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 06:14   Link #194
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Oh man. My parents think video games are for children and teenagers.

Then I showed them the profiles of famous game makers, most of which were adults. The biggest reason they rejected my interest in the video game industry was because I never held an interest in technology nor computers (I don't to this day beyond something that's more common knowledge or user friendly). But when I explained to them that the short stories I loved to write and the art I loved to draw had just as big of an influence on games as computers did, they finally stopped all the griefage.

Luckily, my parents are both quite fond of the humanities (my mother being a professional musician), so they have quite an appreciation for a wide range of things. I, in turn, appreciate them for having that appreciation. :P My parents were the ones that suggested my current majors, and I agreed with them (which shocks some people whenever I tell them). So I've definitely shared the same difficulty in communicating the reasons I like my hobbies to my parents, but I've somehow managed to convince them I know what I'm doing (or at least I think I know what I'm doing).

Although, my parents were the ones who bought my Chinese dubs of studio Ghibli movies when I was realllllyyyyyy young (I think I watched Laputa around the age of 5). So they've always been cool with anime.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 16:43   Link #195
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

At first my parents thought that anime are for kids and just teased me for watching. Now they either have changed their view or just don't tease me anymore. I think it's the former.

...It's good to have accepting parents. =p

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 16:59   Link #196
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
There was a similar thread in the general anime thread awhile back. Basically it completely depends on your parents. If they aren't open minded and interested in what you are doing, then there's probably no changing them. If they are, you can find things that are artistic and potentially convert them that way.

I don't think this is an anime thing entirely. Growing up my parents were somewhat skeptical about video games or even reading books so intensely (i'd read 5-7 books a week at times). "Why don't you go outside and play?"

People just have different interests. I know I complain in private about all the money my brother spends on cars (He's got 3 junker cars, he loves to work on, spend money on, and mess with--he could have bought one good car for all that he spends!) At the end of the day, people will follow hobbies that interest them and as long as they aren't self-destructive or endangering others, I don't think there's much one can say, but enjoy yourself!
Telmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 18:25   Link #197
Kikyo_Cat
[ I ♥ Katy Perry! ]

Send a message via MSN to Kikyo_Cat
my friend's grandma calls anime stuff "Jap Crap" and thinks we're too old to be watching it (we'll both be 18 within a month xD) and yeah ><
Kikyo_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-17, 19:15   Link #198
Haruyan

My mother knows I watch and love anime (she likes Yu Yu Hakusho herself). Last week, I was watching Wall-E, it just happened to be on tv, my mom comes in and says "Oh, honey, you're still watching cartoons~"

She's actually pretty supportive though, she believes in my dream of working in animation
Old 2009-03-17, 19:31   Link #199
solomon

Just like Jazzy Jeff said,

"Parents just don't understand"

In all seriousness it depends on the show, I'm not saying that people deserve to be looked down upon for the hobbies, not in any sense of the word. (Although still, to me if you are a college age male fawning over sailor moon like it's the best thing scince Hemmingway, then um yea you gonna have to deal with some raised eyebrows).

Still you have to ask sometimes, with the crap that gets bought for mainstream tv production these days, is the stuff your parents watch REALLY any better (it does depend for both you guys)

Although my dad doesn't get it, I don't get how he can be so interested in football games to still have a backlog of tapes from the 90s that he still hasn't watched yet, so it evens out we live and let live.

Now my MOM on the other hand, helped feul my anime interests my showing me her Manga Entertainment tapes (Ninja Scroll, Patalbor, etc.) at age 14 or so

hell we both sat riveted to ghost in the shell:sac every single weekend on adult swim together

Last edited by solomon; 2009-03-17 at 19:41.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-18, 22:00   Link #200
Bane Rieko
Dreamer

Send a message via MSN to Bane Rieko
My grandfather can't understand why I watch animated shows where people are ripping over each others limbs (he saw me watching Hellsing).

My mom and dad, however... Well, they watch the anime I do! Thank goodness for open minded parent's who watch adult swim anime.

My dad still can't get over the fact I watch yaoi though... (I'm 18, I can watch what I want!)
Bane Rieko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parents