AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-02-28, 03:32   Link #1
silversongwriter

How do you feel about characters who refuse to kill?

I found one thing I like about Ange from Cross Ange. She's okay with killing. That's one of the reasons I think she's a pretty relatable protagonist. She obviously killed some humans when she blew up those ships. Killing humans in the world of Cross Ange is okay, since most of them are bad. And even though a society like that is the result of endocrination and misunderstanding, Ange doesn't care. She reliezes that some peoples lives are simply worthless. She totally won me over when she said "Let's destroy this bullshit world" I also will say this...

Light Yagame was completely just in his actions... In fact, I'd say he's the greatest hero depicted in anime... not saying he's the greatest character, but he's the character who's perform the greatest act of good for the world ever depicted in anything ever. He was a hero to the entire planet and used his gift to make the world a better place... not by using the only way he knew how... but by using the only way possible to bring peace upon society

There I said it... if anything, the people trying to stop have literally been trying to stop the only solution for the worlds problems. At the end of deathnote
Spoiler:

This makes me realize something.... not killing is for retards. Now... in Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin there's a good reason... they have psychological scars and problems relating to thier past which effects thier morality on killing... it actually makes them interesting. However, in Kurau Phantom Memory we don't get this... just an idiot afraid of killing (I still loved that show)

To me.... I feel that if you're going to have a character like this, they NEED to have a tragic backstory which effects their desire to never kill. Edward Elric... you're awesome, but you're also an idiot. Without a reason why these characters never kill, you get idiots blinded by dumb idealism and not using logic.

So there's my opinion... it could be intersting but only if the characters has been through some serious shit like Kenshin has... otherwise, you just have a dumbass who's overly sensitive.
silversongwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 07:45   Link #2
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Killing can be a necessary evil, but there needs to be a justifiable reason for it.

Lights intentions may have been justified at first but he was driven to insanity and started targeting anyone or anything that got in his way. I liked him well enough as a character, but it's hard to justity his actions.

...Killing for the sake of killing or simply because you don't like someone...Is the mentality of a psychopath.

Perhaps I need more context to what you consider justifies killing someone. Going strictly by what you said, it almost sounds like killing anyone is fair game.
Old 2015-02-28, 08:08   Link #3
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
On Death Note, the world was not much any better when Light was making people dance to his tune. It's at most, a totalitarian dystopia where people were ruled by fear of commiting any slight that will cause of the wrath of Kira and his followers.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 09:51   Link #4
Tenzen12

Wow so If I never killed someone it make me retard? Does that means you are retard too?

But seriously, I don' t really like idiots like Kira... gundam one I mean, who just ignore reality, but as long as one is able accept reality and still decide not kill even if it's easy solution of problem that's as much of admirable (if not more) than one who take burden of killing as necessary evil.

Well, I don't know whether Light was making better world or not, but it's good he was killed because he was creepy sociopath with no reason left.
Old 2015-02-28, 12:59   Link #5
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

The writing for Cross Ange is horrible and in no way should it ever be taken seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversongwriter View Post
This makes me realize something.... not killing is for retards.
Youth is wasted on the young.
Old 2015-02-28, 13:00   Link #6
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My views on this are probably close to Tenzen12's.

If you have a character that's a soldier in a major war - such as many a Gundam pilot - then that character having a strict no-killing policy can seem like a bit of a stretch to put it mildly.

However, if you're talking about, say, crime-fighters, then I think it's admirable for them to not want to "take the law into their own hands" and "play judge, jury, and executioner". So I tend to like how characters like Superman and Batman and Spider-Man will do their best to avoid killing the criminals/villains they struggle against. Admittedly, a villain on the level of The Joker does put a considerable strain on this ideal and make it seem quite questionable at times.

This ties into a key meta-reason for "no-kill code" superheroes - it enables popular villains to believably survive to be used another day. If Batman had no "no-kill code", then it would be extremely tricky to have The Joker believably stay alive for more than two or three story-arcs.

As it pertains to anime, this meta-reason is much less of an issue, as most anime antagonists are not intended to be alive and usable forever (partly because many anime narratives are not endless serials as American comic books tend to be). Off the top of my head, I can't think of many anime characters with strict no-kill codes.

Tenzen12 already raised Kira from Gundam Seed. Vash the Stampede had a strict no-kill code if I remember correctly. Goku often gave his enemies a chance to stand down and escape death at his hands once he gained an upper-hand on them. But if they stubbornly refused to stand down, Goku would finish them off if necessary. Nanoha Takamachi clearly prefers taking in criminals to killing them, and she has never intentionally killed anybody to the best of my knowledge, but I also don't recall any Nanoha dialogue where she explicitly stated she would never kill anyone, so I'm inclined to think that in extreme circumstances she would make the decision to kill. Much the same would probably apply to many magical girl characters, though Sayaka Miki once explicitly raised the issue by making it pretty clear she was willing to kill villainous magical girls if she felt it was necessary to protect innocent people.

On the whole, I kind of like Goku's merciful but practical approach, and what I suspect is Nanoha's approach.
Old 2015-02-28, 13:07   Link #7
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Too many damn humans on this dirt anyways.
Old 2015-02-28, 13:43   Link #8
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
This guy kills everything. Greatest man ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAJrh6aP6qY

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 14:08   Link #9
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
She reliezes that some peoples lives are simply worthless. She totally won me over when she said "Let's destroy this bullshit world" I also will say this...

Light Yagame was completely just in his actions... In fact, I'd say he's the greatest hero depicted in anime... not saying he's the greatest character, but he's the character who's perform the greatest act of good for the world ever depicted in anything ever. He was a hero to the entire planet and used his gift to make the world a better place... not by using the only way he knew how... but by using the only way possible to bring peace upon society
Seriously? Are you even looking at the stuff you're writing? It's simply wrong to make such baseless statements about people in general.

The inhibition from killing other humans is a natural instinct and it's stronger for some than others. Characters who refuse to kill others even when the situation is unfavorable for them are just another type of human. It's a flaw, but a flaw that can be empathized with. I have a very strong aversion against killing any animals that are larger than tiny insects, and I fear that I might be unable to defend myself with fatal weapons against a fellow human if the situation arises. I don't think I'm a retard for feeling that way.

Also, Yagami Light was a good character but a terrible, disgusting human being. You calling him a hero just flabbergasts me.

I'm just getting the impression that you're discovering dark themes in anime for the first time after previously being overexposed to good morals and messages in entertainment, and getting a little overexcited. While they may be overstated or overdone, there's a damn good reason a lot of movies and TV shows reinforce messages such as "do not kill" and "love thy neighbor". Because society needs more people who think like that, not nihilistic self-centered people who wish death and suffering on others.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 14:49   Link #10
Psyco Diver

I sense a troll lol, seriously he hasn't responded yet, safe to say troll
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 15:09   Link #11
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver View Post
I sense a troll lol, seriously he hasn't responded yet, safe to say troll
High school student. Not that there's a difference.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 15:37   Link #12
silversongwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The writing for Cross Ange is horrible and in no way should it ever be taken seriously.

Youth is wasted on the young.
What's so wrong with it? Are there any major plot holes?
Old 2015-02-28, 16:30   Link #13
Eragon
Still Alive

Lmao, now I know 100% not to take you seriously.
Old 2015-02-28, 16:31   Link #14
silversongwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Lmao, now I know 100% not to take you seriously.
I'm only on episode 14... I simply haven't seen any major plot holes yet.
Old 2015-02-28, 16:39   Link #15
Fizix
Nitpicking

Provided someone who has committed acts of evil isn't being let off the hook by it (ie justice is served in some way) then it doesn't matter.

What would bug me is if every antagonist had their mind changed and lived happily ever after, regardless of their sins. Unless the one committing crimes/acts of evil is a crim and protagonist, like in say Grand Theft Auto, which does create a contradiction but the context is different.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 16:53   Link #16
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
What's so wrong with it? Are there any major plot holes?
Bad writing doesn't always mean there are holes in the plot, but.....

Cross Ange is too busy pushing envelopes without having much substance in those envelopes. At no point does the writing offer anything deep or meaningful with the concepts of:

Spoiler for Some plot spoilery stuff.:

The show is trash, and most people watching it know that. It's the epitome of pointless entertainment. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't pretend it's anything more than that either.
Old 2015-02-28, 17:14   Link #17
Tenzen12

As far as I am concerned it's still better than Guilty Fail or Valvrape...

But yeah, just being comparable to these two makes it pretty bad.
Old 2015-02-28, 17:25   Link #18
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
As far as I am concerned it's still better than Guilty Fail or Valvrape...

But yeah, just being comparable to these two makes it pretty bad.
It's an unholy trinity!

It almost makes me nostalgic for the Evangelion era of mech shows. I mean, if you're going to be edgy, go the distance and layer your stuff in as much symbolism, polarizing characters, and incomprehensible bullshit as possible. Own that shit. People will eat it up.
Old 2015-02-28, 19:03   Link #19
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's an unholy trinity!

It almost makes me nostalgic for the Evangelion era of mech shows. I mean, if you're going to be edgy, go the distance and layer your stuff in as much symbolism, polarizing characters, and incomprehensible bullshit as possible. Own that shit. People will eat it up.
Does School Days have place here?
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 19:07   Link #20
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Killing humans in the world of Cross Ange is okay, since most of them are bad. And even though a society like that is the result of endocrination and misunderstanding, Ange doesn't care. She reliezes that some peoples lives are simply worthless. She totally won me over when she said "Let's destroy this bullshit world"
This,... is what people still capable of empathy call a "monster"

Quote:
This makes me realize something.... not killing is for retards.
If you're convinced about that, perhaps you need to check you mental health