AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2016-12-11, 07:34   Link #1
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

HEVC vs x264 compressilibity

I've been excited ever since HEVC was released and after the reviews stating that it could compress almost as half as x264 for the same quality.

I thought that now we could finally have some 720p 22min eps fansubs with at most 230MB files (reminding me of the good old days of XVID 174MB and 230MB!...) instead of the now "bloated" 400MB~600MB, not to mention the humongous over 1GB files per video... As as anime collector, HEVC could benefit my HDDs economy, meaning I wouldn't have to buy more.

But sadly what I'm seeing is either (the very few) fansubs releasing HEVC videos with almost the same size of their over 500MB x264 version videos (for 720p) or, as I saw the other day, a fansub that released a 720p 22min video in x264 with 1GB and the HEVC with 500 MB...

Is HEVC not all that's cracked up to be or is it just the case of it still being in its infancy and there's far more development to be made?

Not to mention that I myself made some tests of my wn a few months ago using IFME with a DVD MPEG2 recorded from TV with my standalone DVD recorder (with some grain and temporal smoother applied by me). The results were disappointing, it did not keep the same quality with half the size, it was VERY "blocky". At least with MEGUI and x264 I had full freedom to encode any way I wanted.
I have a ton of home-made family videos in interlaced 50fps MPEG2 (5000~11000 kbps bitrate) that I'd love to reencode with HEVC to a bitrate of 1000~1500kbps at "bob-ed "50fps (or interlaced 50fps) saving LOTS of space, but only if I were to lose a minimum amount of quality, unlike the tests I've made.

Are there any HEVC settings or programs that I'm not aware of? Are there any plans for MEGUI to support HEVC and give me the same freedom on encoding controls as x264? (so far I could get MEGUI to use HEVC...)

EDIT: I just found out "x265GUI" and "Hybrid". I haven't made tests with them but x265GUI just won't let me close the program, giving the error "unable to write c:\xx\xx\settings.ini".

In the past I had tried Handbrake with HEVC, but the results seemed random and not very good to me, not to mention Handbrake has a lot less options that MEGUI.

What do you think of these alternatives?

Last edited by tugatosmk; 2016-12-11 at 08:35.
tugatosmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-16, 10:34   Link #2
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

HEVC has not picked up the momentum it needs to be a useful alternative to h.264. I expect the real next alternative is going to be AV1 (merging the efforts of VP10 from Google, Daala from Mozilla, and Thor from Cisco). The bitstream is expected to be frozen by March 2017, with YouTube pushing to use it for their HD stuff within 6 months of that.

Given how close it is to being released, I see no reason to go for HEVC now; it seems like a dead end to me. AV1 won't have the patent or license issues of HEVC, and you can probably expect the tooling to ramp up for it pretty quick, with Google having strong motivation to make it good for YouTube, and NetFlix having similar motivations. If we don't have the equivalent of an x264 project generating impressive results by next summer, I'll be very surprised.

So, no advice on settings to use, sorry. Would just suggest waiting a few more months instead.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-16, 11:27   Link #3
larethian

I don't really track software decoder development and adoption trends. But I attend broadcast conventions and actually have somewhat indirect business relations in this arena, and with respect to hardware decoders, HEVC push by chipmakers to broadcast/content operators (which means they need to overhaul their encoding equipment or at least some of them thus = cost!!) may depend on 4k penetration to consumer base. Because more 4k TVs in homes would justify more 4k source content production for broadcast. Switching to encode in HEVC would then make sense to the operators to broadcast/stream 4k content with less bandwidth. It may not be relevant to OP's question on fansub group adoption, but just saying.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-16, 13:23   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Given that you always have to take sales projections with a large shakerful of salt, many sites claim that 4K sales will accelerate in 2017 as prices fall. See, for instance, http://fortune.com/2016/06/02/your-n...ly-be-a-4k-tv/.

I bought a 55" LG a couple years back for about the same money as this newer 4K model. To me, though, the next step forward is OLED displays, which are still quite pricey but beautiful to behold. When those TVs fall to under $1,000 I might be ready for a new model.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 11:53   Link #5
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

What a letdown... Is AV1 still in the development stage or is there an encoder available?
Old 2016-12-18, 23:58   Link #6
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugatosmk View Post
What a letdown... Is AV1 still in the development stage or is there an encoder available?
Still in development, but the deadline for the bitstream to be finalized (meaning that encoders can be written that you can be sure won't break from further development) is March.
Old 2017-02-05, 02:06   Link #7
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Update: Frozen bitstream schedule has slipped to October 2017. As such, do not use its impending release as a reason to hold off switching to other formats in the meantime.

I'm rather disappointed, but I can see that they're working on a number of experiments which haven't been fully evaluated yet, so the March deadline was apparently far too optimistic.
Old 2017-02-05, 12:12   Link #8
tugatosmk
1982 tuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
Update: Frozen bitstream schedule has slipped to October 2017. As such, do not use its impending release as a reason to hold off switching to other formats in the meantime.

I'm rather disappointed, but I can see that they're working on a number of experiments which haven't been fully evaluated yet, so the March deadline was apparently far too optimistic.
Oh, man...

Tags
compressibility, hevc, megui, x264