AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-08-11, 03:11   Link #1761
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Speaking of Chinese, I wonder if Chinese and Japanese are friendly terms nowadays?
Do you mean the governments or the people as individuals?
The relationship is mixed:
1) They do a lot of business together. Japan, like the US - does a lot of outsourcing to China (though the Japanese aren't total idiots about it like the US is).
2) They are in dispute over several islands.
3) They are in dispute over fishing and mineral/oil extraction rights in shared ocean areas.
4) They both have zealot nationalists who wave their private parts at each other.
5) They have a lot of exchange programs in educations and the arts and sciences.
6) Sometimes the Japanese in China have to worry about idiot zealots threatening them. (Doesn't seem to be a problem for chinese in Japan)
7) They both view North Korea with some chagrin for its destabilizing effect.

Somewhat like the Soviets*cough* I mean Russians and the US... agree on some topics, disagree on others -- yet manage to have things they do together (e.g. space program)
Old 2011-08-11, 03:41   Link #1762
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Speaking of Chinese, I wonder if Chinese and Japanese are friendly terms nowadays?
Not exactly a "friendly" relationship between governments, however that doesn't stop many Chinese from going to Japan...
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 08:25   Link #1763
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
But how do people as individuals interacter with the Chinese nowadays? I know there was a lot of prejudice (not that there isn't any today) in the pre World War era but how are relations now?
Old 2011-08-11, 08:52   Link #1764
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
But how do people as individuals interacter with the Chinese nowadays? I know there was a lot of prejudice (not that there isn't any today) in the pre World War era but how are relations now?
You do realize you're asking people to generalize about how individual people act right? That's like... a paradox.

The only thing I think anyone can say is that it really depends on upbringing and how much exposure they had to the other culture apart from the historical and media stereotypes. It's really the same with how individuals in one race/culture deal with others across the world. There's probably so many other factors besides that too, like personality and personal desire to meet new people... I don't even know what you're trying to ask.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 09:03   Link #1765
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Honestly? I think you're trying too hard to open a can of worms. Some people may not have high respect for Chinese, others go as far as marrying them. It comes down to the person in the end. I highly doubt there exists a nationwide collective prejudice towards a certain population in this day and age.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:13   Link #1766
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I just saw this topic and thought I'd post a few quick questions (I'm pretty sure it was asked before in this thread or other threads but I seriously do not want to search through 50+ pages, sorry for my laziness):

Does the Japanese culture actually do these school-type Festivals and Sports events as they do in anime as well as wear those types of clothing (talking mainly about do they actually wear school uniforms like that in anime)? I've seen Live Action too and they do celebrate/wear that stuff but it is acting for a show of course. All these years I've never actually asked this question and I'm quite curious.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:53   Link #1767
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanner View Post
I just saw this topic and thought I'd post a few quick questions (I'm pretty sure it was asked before in this thread or other threads but I seriously do not want to search through 50+ pages, sorry for my laziness):

Does the Japanese culture actually do these school-type Festivals and Sports events as they do in anime as well as wear those types of clothing (talking mainly about do they actually wear school uniforms like that in anime)? I've seen Live Action too and they do celebrate/wear that stuff but it is acting for a show of course. All these years I've never actually asked this question and I'm quite curious.
Probably, toss some specific examples, will ya?

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 16:23   Link #1768
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

I mean sort of in general. Like in Tokimeki Memorial Love or other high school life anime where they do a Sports Festival where the competition is between classes or doing a Christmas Festival in their school. There's also cultural festivals of all kinds but they are all done in their school where it is open to the public too.

So, in the Japan, do they do festivals and sports events and wear "uniforms" (like that in anime) in their schools?

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 17:13   Link #1769
ForteAnly

I do not know if this is the right place to post this but I had a question on anybody who has ever studied abroad in Japan. I am studying in Japan this fall and I have to write a e-mail introducing myself to my home stay family. So I was wondering would be it wrong to use the polite form for the letter or should I go casual. I don't want to sound rude on the e-mail. Or does it matter too much due to my level of Japanese? What do you guys think?
ForteAnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 18:32   Link #1770
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@Scanner: in *general*, the answer is yes - uniforms, festivals, sports days, etc. But it varies considerably as to how structured it is.

@ForteAnly: its always best to *start* polite. You can get a little more casual once you're with them (assuming they give you the cues that you may do so).
Old 2011-08-11, 19:36   Link #1771
ForteAnly

Thanks a lot Vexx. I will do what you suggested.
ForteAnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 20:46   Link #1772
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Vexx more or less answered the questions above, so no need for me to repeat.
I will add for Forte that 'masu/desu' form will be plenty fine for politeness level for your host family

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 09:51   Link #1773
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Yes, they do. I myself wore a navy blue serafuku while in (girls') high school, and it was fun when I wore a butler suit for my class's cafe.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-12, 20:45   Link #1774
Kudryavka

Quote:
I mean sort of in general. Like in Tokimeki Memorial Love or other high school life anime where they do a Sports Festival where the competition is between classes or doing a Christmas Festival in their school. There's also cultural festivals of all kinds but they are all done in their school where it is open to the public too.

So, in the Japan, do they do festivals and sports events and wear "uniforms" (like that in anime) in their schools?
Noticing how you quoted "uniforms," I'll add on about the uniforms that, no, the real skirts aren't short like anime will have you believe. They hover around knee length when worn the way they're meant to be worn. Some girls prefer to roll up their skirts to make them shorter for fashion, however. I'd imagine that there are rules against guys wearing their jackets unbuttoned and such, at least in private schools.

Many schools also disallow long, untied hair, another thing that anime doesn't portray.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-14, 08:47   Link #1775
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Also, to note, there are students who wear shorts or spats underneath their skirts (ala Misaka Mikoto). This is actually normal judging the reality of chikan lurking in trains throughout Japan.

Anyway, you can learn more about school uniforms from this blog post by Danny Choo himself: clicky
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 20:25   Link #1776
Kudryavka

To those who know their stuff on Japanese schools:
Are there any post-secondary education schools that have/require uniforms?

Also, are university classes done in the same way as high school and lower? Like, do students only go to one classroom and keep it decent (they have responsibility over it)? Or do teachers own classrooms and students just go back and forth between various classrooms?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 20:32   Link #1777
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some of the women's colleges have uniforms, its pretty rare outside of that. And no, I don't know of any colleges that use the "you sit here all day" routine for students. Think Honey&Clover...

Quote:
Anyway, you can learn more about school uniforms from this blog post by Danny Choo himself: clicky
I'm so utterly jealous of Choo and what he gets to do...
Old 2011-08-16, 06:45   Link #1778
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Also, are university classes done in the same way as high school and lower? Like, do students only go to one classroom and keep it decent (they have responsibility over it)? Or do teachers own classrooms and students just go back and forth between various classrooms?
I studied at a Japanese university for a semester. It was the exact same as university in the US, where teachers and students don't really choose their classroom but instead everything is planned by the school itself.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 08:42   Link #1779
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Continuing from my previous post on the seldom seen and discussed side of Japanese Adult Entertainment :-

Rough Translation :-

Quote:
2 Days ago, a friend of mine who is an exchange student in Japan sent me a mail, asking me if I could identify and see if one of his senior might have been an AV actress.

Now, I'm not exactly good at this and his snapshot isn't quality stuff. But this girl carried a huge reputation during her time, releasing quite a large catalog of titles for some A-list publisher and is fluent in multiple languages to boot. So much so, she had becomed known as quite a "talent" and left me withered and dried of essence.

And thus, I recognised her at once and I inquired about her recent well-being from this friend here; she, at her current unofficially retired state, is studying a design course at an University in Tokyo. Most of the days, she keeps a low profile and don a T-shirt with long pant. You can't really tell that she's an experienced AV Actress that had pushed out dozens of titles by just looking at her these days.

Make no mistake here, she is as beautiful as ever. With a combination of a smooth clear face, porcelain skin and a huge bosom unhithered by loose clothings, any normal male would take a second look at her. However, at the request of afored mentioned friend, I will not outright mentioned her AV alias.

Why ? Because though it's an open secret amongst almost every male student that this girl was an AV talent, there's an undisclosed agreement that they will not harressed her in any way during her academic pursuit. According to this friend, A guy, after unknowingly mentioned the girl's AV alias outright in her classroom, had been branded as an outcast.

Though this might sound surprising coming in from Japan where the AV profession stilled carried a stigma of sorts, most AV fans still choose to admire their idols from a distant. Even for someone as direct as Yuria Satomi who enticed fans by blosing directly into their ear during public meeing sessions with backroom access to boot, there had been no incident. So, In my opinion, the Japanese people still maintain some respect for those AV professional, even if a fraction of the population don't.
So what do you think about it ? Would the same form of respect shown here be repeated in other places ? UK ? US ?

Last edited by MakubeX2; 2011-08-16 at 08:55.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 13:56   Link #1780
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
So what do you think about it ? Would the same form of respect shown here be repeated in other places ? UK ? US ?
That would be a nice fantasy.. but no, I hold average UK/US social skills in no such regard. She'd be scourged by the small-minded (especially if she was pretty) and harassed by the men to put out.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture