AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-20, 09:19   Link #1041
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Maybe they'll fine a way to convert people without the use of the Valvraves. Haruto has been gaining more power, so there might be a chance he can convert people by biting them now.
Seeing as there were absolutely no hints that even being possible (Magius never used it for once), I REALLY doubt that it is possible for them to spread vampirism. You need the technology developed by Haruto's father for that.
Old 2013-12-20, 13:13   Link #1042
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Seeing as there were absolutely no hints that even being possible (Magius never used it for once), I REALLY doubt that it is possible for them to spread vampirism. You need the technology developed by Haruto's father for that.
Right. It really would have made sense to at least bring him along. At least use him for his intelligence.
Old 2013-12-26, 17:45   Link #1043
Destined_Fate

Well she lives and stuff. So yeah.

Haruto no go, L-Elf is still around so... Yay?
Old 2013-12-26, 23:37   Link #1044
Twi

Not yay. Not even remotely close. This ending solves nothing.
Old 2013-12-26, 23:46   Link #1045
zztop

Someone said canon info from Japanese sources elaborate that Shoko's father(back when he was an MP) approved the weaponisation of the Valvrave tech, which JIOR discovered 20 yrs prior to the series' events, together with the runes, Pino and Prue.

The tech in turn came from a crashed spaceship of some kind.

From which source did the info come from?
Old 2013-12-26, 23:51   Link #1046
~BC~

It was up on the website before being pulled down. I believe they also gave out a pamphlet at one of the last events that had that information on there as well.
Old 2013-12-27, 18:10   Link #1047
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Whatever will happen to Shoko is ambiguous considering how little we know about the future. She could either fight until the curse kills her, or be replaced or the AI does something.
Old 2013-12-27, 18:22   Link #1048
Key Board
Carbon

There were several unfamiliar faces in the statue room

I don't think Shoko was the only pilot of Hito
I think they will follow L-Elf's suggested multiple pilot rotation plan

But even so, I think some of them died still ran out of runes and died eventually
Shoko is among the ones that survived (and retired?)

I'm starting to think that Shoko's role is just ceremonial

"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-28, 04:12   Link #1049
~BC~

Quote:
I don't think Shoko was the only pilot of Hito
I think they will follow L-Elf's suggested multiple pilot rotation plan
That's what I figured as well. That room is way too small if it was just meant to cover the deaths of Sakimori students in general. The reference to "Knights" also narrows things down and since the only recognizable characters were pilots...
Old 2013-12-28, 04:13   Link #1050
Key Board
Carbon

I've checked and there were 5 unrecognizable people in that statue room.

Maybe I should ask Okouchi about this.
But I'm pretty sure they were all Valvrave pilots.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2013-12-28, 13:42   Link #1051
durack

What I don't get is all the Shoko hate in the other threads.

As far as "writing quality" so to speak, not any worse than any other Valvrave character (heck, we all know we are not watching Breaking Bad here ).
Old 2013-12-28, 13:48   Link #1052
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I can see Shoko being a kind of ambassador in that timeskip. She have had over 200 years to meditate over her own failures.
Old 2013-12-29, 00:08   Link #1053
Destined_Fate

Her failures weren't even her fault considering all the lies, secrets, and stuff.

Personally I would rather they actually get around to explaining whose the mother of L-Elf's child that eventually lead to Not-L-Elf.
Old 2013-12-29, 00:11   Link #1054
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Her failures weren't even her fault considering all the lies, secrets, and stuff.

Personally I would rather they actually get around to explaining whose the mother of L-Elf's child that eventually lead to Not-L-Elf.
"lies, secrets, and stuff"
I had a feeling you would say that and even try to ship.

Still, lies and yadayada don't justify selling out your friends to the guys who just gunned down most of your companions. The writers really messed up her character in that episode.
Old 2013-12-29, 09:00   Link #1055
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
What I don't get is all the Shoko hate in the other threads.
I think that many viewers overreacted to her mistakes in the ARUS Purge episode, but the thing is this - If you have a major protagonist screw-up like that, it's important to have that major protagonist do something to make amends. And Shouko never did.

In the last few episodes of the show, she was basically a passenger/observer just watching L-Elf and the Valvrave pilots accomplish everything.
Old 2013-12-29, 11:56   Link #1056
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I agree with Triple R on this, except, I don't think it was an overreachtion but quite understandable, something that the staff should have been able to anticipate. Like it or not, you just need to know the genre somewhat well to know that characters who act the way she did are generally not received well (regardless of whether you yourself do).

They handled her badly after that event as well. If the only thing a character (particularly a supposed protagonist) does all season is screw up, cry and wring their hands and then gets handed a more or less happy end by virtue of implied developments that happen exclusively off-screen, it's really no surprise that he or she won't be received well by the audience.
I myself did not enjoy the end of her character arc either. I honestly have to say that I dislike her after the ending she got.

Basically, if their goal was for her to be well received, they completely screwed her character up.
Old 2013-12-29, 12:13   Link #1057
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
I agree with Triple R on this, except, I don't think it was an overreachtion but quite understandable, something that the staff should have been able to anticipate.
I disagree with you on this point. I think the writers did everything they could to make Shouko's moment of weakness understandable and forgivable if she does something to make up for it. A lot of people really did underestimate the severity of the situation facing Shouko in the ARUS Purge episode (and I think Valvrave made it very clear just how horrible and chaotic it was), and how a lot of people would similarly make bad decisions (or even have a complete nervous breakdown) if put in such a nightmare scenario.

And I really don't see what genre has to do with any of this.

However, a screw-up is still a screw-up. It still calls for the character to do something to make up for it.

Consider Satomi. He screwed up in one episode by unintentionally alerting Dorssia to the presence of himself and company. But he made amends for that by playing a key role in getting everybody through the immediate emergency. Which is why nobody really holds his screw-up against him.

Shouko did nothing to make up for her screw-up, and in spite of that she received a decidedly happy ending (youthful immortality piloting a Valvrave while happily greeting aliens on the side) so I can't blame you for disliking her now.
Old 2013-12-29, 12:34   Link #1058
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I disagree with you on this point. I think the writers did everything they could to make Shouko's moment of weakness understandable and forgivable if she does something to make up for it. A lot of people really did underestimate the severity of the situation facing Shouko in the ARUS Purge episode (and I think Valvrave made it very clear just how horrible and chaotic it was), and how a lot of people would similarly make bad decisions (or even have a complete nervous breakdown) if put in such a nightmare scenario.

And I really don't see what genre has to do with any of this.

However, a screw-up is still a screw-up. It still calls for the character to do something to make up for it.

Consider Satomi. He screwed up in one episode by unintentionally alerting Dorssia to the presence of himself and company. But he made amends for that by playing a key role in getting everybody through the immediate emergency. Which is why nobody really holds his screw-up against him.

Shouko did nothing to make up for her screw-up, and in spite of that she received a decidedly happy ending (youthful immortality piloting a Valvrave while happily greeting aliens on the side) so I can't blame you for disliking her now.
She might have done some major amends during the 200 years. But until we see a third season, we can say Shouko never amended for her mistakes.

On that note, I am now neutral leaning towards hate.
Old 2013-12-29, 12:39   Link #1059
Triple_R
*Author

I just feel like her character has been sadly wasted.

Even after the ARUS Purge episode, they had all the following options for her...

1) Comeback story.

2) Total heel turn.

3) Tragic heroine.

Either of those options would have been better than what they went for (total heel turn would have at least been interesting and engaging).
Old 2013-12-29, 13:30   Link #1060
durack

I guess where I am coming from is "life is unfair", so her getting a happy ending did not bother me.

That being said, true, nothing about her character made me want to actually like her. All she is is "cute girl next door". She's a "nice person" but the way whe was written certainly does not make me impressed with her as a leader. At the same time, nothing she did makes me want to dislike her, either - she is incompetent but not malicious.

Heck, if you remember first season, her election campaign was essentially "hey guyz let's PARTAY". In a way, hey, you elected a school festival organizer as your wartime president, you reap what you sow.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters