AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-09-28, 19:51   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

AnimeSuki Fall 2011 Banner Contest - Collaboration/Discussion Thread

Update: Contest winners now announced! Thanks to everyone for participating!

We're looking to spruce up the look of the Forums this Fall with new banners, and we're looking for your help and creativity to make that happen!

If you have participated in Banner Contests before, please note that we are going to by trying a new contest methodology this time in the interest of expediting the process. We'll be having another more traditional contest shortly after this one if you preferred the previous style (though we'll be taking input about the contest format for consideration). With that said...

AnimeSuki Fall 2011 Banner Contest

• Theme: Fall/Thanksgiving/Hallowe'en
  • Content Requirements: Must contain anime artwork, fit the above theme, use background gradient shown below, and meet AnimeSuki's general content guidelines.
  • Technical Requirements: 760 x 100 pixels, JPEG/PNG/GIF (no animation), max 60 KB (61440 bytes)
  • Number of Submissions per entrant: One (1)
  • Judging Methodology: Staff Vote
  • Contest Opening: 29 September 2011
  • Submission Deadline: 17 October 2011
  • Announcement of Winners: 21 October 2011
  • Duration of Rotation: Late-October to early-December 2011 (random rotation)
  • Background Gradient:

Contest Rules & Policies
  1. All entries must include artwork/characters from an anime production, whether the art is official or fan-created. To the extent possible, all artwork must be sourced (see note below).
  2. All entries must reflect one or more of the theme words: Fall (Autumn, the season), Thanksgiving (the holiday), and/or Hallowe'en (the holiday). As always, entries that feature AnimeSuki Mascot Kairin will also be considered, regardless of theme.
  3. All entries must use the background gradient provided above as the base layer for their submission, as this gradient will form the background of the whole top bar of the forum.
  4. All entries must incorporate the "AnimeSuki Forums" title in their artwork, in a legible font. (Your entry should also not incorporate your username or other handle.)
  5. All entries must be static images (no animation) measuring 760 pixels wide and 100 pixels high. Files may be in JPEG, GIF, or PNG format, with a maximum file size of 60 KB (61440 bytes).
  6. Each member may submit one (1) banner and have one (1) post in the Entry/Submission Thread. If you wish to edit/remove your entry, use the Edit Post option. Any additional posts in the Entry/Submission Thread will be deleted without prejudice or further warning.
  7. All discussion about this contest must occur in the Collaboration/Discussion Thread. The Entry/Submission Thread is only to be used for your submission.
  8. The contest deadlines are reflected in the summary table above. Deadlines shall take effect at 0:00 (12:00am) UTC on each respective day.
    You can also check World Time Server or Time Zone Converter to help you work out what time this is near you.
  9. We may disqualify any banner deemed to be offensive or inappropriate, or that doesn't otherwise seem suitable for use as a Forum Banner.
  10. Contest winners shall be decided by the Forum Staff at their own arbitrary discretion, with no expectation of justification or transparent methodology. If your entry isn't chosen, we're sorry, but that's how it'll be this time around. (NOTE: Staff members who wish may submit an entry in the contest, but will not be allowed to vote for their own entry. Images will also be "anonymized" before voting.)
  11. All banners submitted shall become property of AnimeSuki and may be used now or in future years without asking your permission.

To test your banner...
We have a tool that will allow you to test the look of your banner to make sure that it will look nice on our Forum. To use, perform these steps:
  1. Upload your banner draft to any online image host
  2. Copy the URL to your banner to the clipboard on your computer (Ctrl+C/Cmd+C)
  3. Click on one of the following links:
  4. Paste the URL to your banner in the "Banner:" box (Ctrl+V/Cmd+V) and press the "Set" button.
Please ensure that your banner blends smoothly to the background gradient on both edges, and that it looks as intended in both colour schemes.

Submission Procedure:
There are two threads for this contest: the Collaboration/Discussion Thread and the Entry/Submission Thread. The Entry/Submission thread is for your final submission only (though you may edit your posts until the contest deadline). For all other discussion and to collaborate with other artists, please go to the Collaboration/Discussion Thread.

We recommend the following:
  1. Review any existing conversation or ask questions in the Collaboration/Discussion Forum to get any relevant clarifications before you begin.
  2. Work on your draft.
  3. Post your draft in the Collaboration/Discussion Thread for feedback from other forum members and artists.
  4. Make revisions to your draft based on feedback received.
  5. Once you're happy with your submission, post it in the Entry/Submission Thread along with the related attributions. (If you need to revise further, just edit your post.)

We strongly recommend that you follow the discussion thread and check-in on your entry from time-to-time throughout the contest to make sure there are no issues or concerns that need to be addressed with your entry. If you just enter an image and then "forget about it", it's possible it may have been disqualified and you'll never know, so please participate in the Collaboration/Discussion thread and at least check-in once before the deadline.

About Sourcing Artwork:
We would ask that all contest entrants include the source of any artwork they incorporated into their design, including if possible the anime franchise and whether it is official art or fan-made (including the name of the artist, if available). If using fanart, we encourage you to ask the original artist for permission if at all possible, but we recognize that this may be difficult in some circumstances.

NOTE: You don't have to link to the URL where the image can be found, so long as you name the series and that it's either official art or fan art (and who the fan artist is, if at all possible).

To all fan-artists and copyright holders: If you see a banner that contains your art and you do not provide permission for it to be used on our Forum or in this contest, please contact the Forum Staff with the related evidence, and we will comply with your request for removal.

Thanks for your participation in this contest, have fun, and good luck!!

This is the Collaboration/Discussion Thread.
Use this thread to ask questions, post drafts and collaborate with fellow artists.
Once your submission is ready, please post it in the Entry/Submission Thread.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-21 at 16:57.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 21:41   Link #2
Haladflire65
*Artist

Question: are we allowed to use manga images?

I'm excited for this contest! Better start getting my entry ready
Old 2011-09-28, 21:53   Link #3
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Question: are we allowed to use manga images?
So long as it's from a franchise that has an anime adaptation, it would be okay to use manga artwork. But it couldn't be from a manga that was never made into an anime. Hope that helps clarify!
Old 2011-09-28, 21:56   Link #4
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
So long as it's from a franchise that has an anime adaptation, it would be okay to use manga artwork. But it couldn't be from a manga that was never made into an anime. Hope that helps clarify!
Yes, that does, thanks!
Old 2011-09-29, 08:33   Link #5
Green²
It's bacon!

Source: Link NSFW
Animation: Yumekui Merry
Banner Version: 1.0
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 11:22   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post

Source: Link NSFW
Animation: Yumekui Merry
Banner Version: 1.0
Looks good Green, you should post in the Entry thread too, so you don't forget.
Old 2011-09-29, 17:08   Link #7
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

So, say I would be interested in adding a persona 3 banner, would that be okay?

from a game, which has a manga
Old 2011-09-29, 18:39   Link #8
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
So, say I would be interested in adding a persona 3 banner, would that be okay?

from a game, which has a manga
It has to have an anime. I know that Persona 4 is getting an anime this fall, but I don't think Persona 3 had one.
Old 2011-09-29, 19:06   Link #9
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

My first try, hoping than it fit all the requirement:

material: background: http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...ence-leaf-long ( original work from simosi )
girl/render: http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=...view&id=676759 ( Shionji Yuuko from the serie Kami-sama no memo-chou )
C&C would be appreciated.
Old 2011-09-29, 19:09   Link #10
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Two questions:

Does Touhou count? I know that there are manga, light novels, and fan-made animations on the net, but I don't recall an anime made off of the series.

Second, are these banners simply replacing the default banners we see right now temporarily, just through the fall season? Annually, or just a one-year thing?

And Ganbaru, that's looking amazing right now. My only complaint would unfortunately be the linear cut-off in the right side, looking a bit awkward in contrast to the nice transition on the left. Seeing the original source image though, I know this is sort of a move that you had to make if you wanted that background. I am unsure of how to fix this predicament at present...
Old 2011-09-29, 19:18   Link #11
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wang View Post
Second, are these banners simply replacing the default banners we see right now temporarily, just through the fall season? Annually, or just a one-year thing?
As it is stated in the opening post, we will try to have another competition shortly after this one, so yes, the banners will be used through the fall season (at the very least) and not for (hopefully) more than a year.
Old 2011-09-29, 19:46   Link #12
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Here's the third version of my idea:

c&c welcome.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 19:49   Link #13
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@MrWang, actualy the linear cut is I belivepart of a tree. I modified my first version to correct this impression:

previous version:

C&C would be welcome.
Old 2011-09-29, 19:56   Link #14
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
I know, I noticed that in the original background image, behind the foreground character, there was that tree that was sorta cutting that off. And while I still do think that it looks a tad awkwardly uneven on both sides of the scenery, the second version's fade to the banner background does look a lot better.
Old 2011-09-29, 20:55   Link #15
Haladflire65
*Artist

I'm seeing that people are submitting their drafts here, so I guess I'll do that too?

First draft:

Source: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/415803
Jack-o-lantern: http://www.veryicon.com/icons/object...antern-12.html

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2011-09-29 at 21:21.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 21:46   Link #16
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

@ Haladflire65, You might want to rework the left side of the banner, it isn't much looking like the supposed background gradiant.
Old 2011-09-29, 21:54   Link #17
Haladflire65
*Artist

^ How much of the gradient has to be visible in the banner? I'm finding it a little vague... Can someone care to clear it up for me?
Old 2011-09-29, 21:58   Link #18
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I'm seeing that people are submitting their drafts here, so I guess I'll do that too?

First draft:

Source: http://gallery.minitokyo.net/view/415803
Jack-o-lantern: http://www.veryicon.com/icons/object...antern-12.html
I am sorry to say, but you are gonna have to re-work both edges of the background. The gradient in your banner must blend with the sample provided. Please use the test link that Felix provided in his post to better visualize this. Likewise, please look at our current set as an example of how the banner blends with the whole gradient.

Remember folks, do not change the colors or apply effects to the whole gradient while working on your banners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65
How much of the gradient has to be visible in the banner? I'm finding it a little vague... Can someone care to clear it up for me?
The more it blends the better. Do not feel forced to use the whole area in the gradient and try to avoid sudden changes in color. If you create a "border" like the one in your first draft then the image will not blend regardless of how much area you left open on each side.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-09-29 at 22:13.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 22:14   Link #19
Suomi
Kaiba

Are we allowed to do collabs? As in, two people do a banner?
Old 2011-09-29, 22:14   Link #20
Kudryavka

@ganbaru Maybe you could use the phrase "Animesuki Forums"? To match everyone else and all.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banner contest