AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 3 Rating
Perfect 10 29 22.66%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 38.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 22.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 11.72%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.78%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.78%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-04-17, 16:02   Link #61
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
An okay episode. I wish they could just quit beating around the bush and get on with the "band" element - that IS the series' selling point, right? This manga chapter didn't need to have an entire episode to itself.

I'm a little worried about Yui, though. The manga makes her out to be the run-of-the-mill kind of moron, but the anime is moving towards why-is-she-in-high-school-and-is-she-housebroken? kinda moron. I'd like her to have a little dignity at the end of the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
What's the point in having an anime about a band if they only play for 20 seconds of the show? My real only worry is that this will just turn into a "let's obsess over a few cute things the characters did," type show.

Perhaps that is the direction it is going, in which case I will be disappointed, but I'll still watch I suppose. I have just been hoping this would be a very spinal-tap styled show in that it shows the humor of being in a band, rather than the crap you see in any other anime with high-school characters and re-using that material.
Taking the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, this is a character oriented comedy before it is a music series. Are you familiar with the general format of this type of series. say, like in Minami ke, Hidamari sketch, et. al.? 'Obsessing ' (as you call it) over the little details of day to day life is part of the charm of these series. It is not that they are plotless, it is just that the plot takes a background sit and developing the general theme of the series and the characters takes the forefront.
What? Who said so? So far with what we are presented with, this is a show about four girls clumsily attempting to form a band. The band aspect is not supposed to be completely overshadowed. If they wanted to have a slice of life show, they did not need to make the musical aspect as important as it is.

Anyways...

I am rather disappointed with this episode. They choose to further digress into a pointless storyline that I have seen literally a thousand times in my life already. It lacks originality (Please don't come here and start saying nothing is original, it's a pointless argument) in both its story and more importantly, its execution.

Yui's idiocy continues to displease me. Before I could at least kind of understand how people can find it funny, but now it is just overdone. And even though I like Mio, her character reactions are becoming overdone as well. I just want to gag watching Yui make a fool of herself.

The story definitely had zero progression today. Even from the standpoint of it being mainly a slice of life show, it still lacks progression. Usually we would get some good character development, but it was just more of the same. Nothing new, nothing learned. Last episode was supposed to be the one where the audience got to explore the characters, and sure it was fun. But now this just serves as little more than your typical fan service "hot spring episode" that we see in so many animes (Like Regios for a recent example).

I for one, came to this anime to see people trying to make a band, with comedy being involved in it. The lack of focus on this point is quickly becoming very bothersome. Ok, they got a random girl to save their club. Ok, they got her a guitar because she can't play anything and now she is going to attempt to play it. Oh, random girl is failing classes, now we need to rescue our club again... Arg, enough already, I want to see some music already!

This episode was a throw away episode and I could have dumped it into the trash, missing basically nothing. Quite poor, 4/10.

Lucky for me, it seems we are finally going to head in a more proper direction for this series next episode with the band finally going to start practicing.
Old 2009-04-17, 16:13   Link #62
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Please don't come here and start saying nothing is original, it's a pointless argument.
Why? Because it consistently proves you wrong? =P

There IS nothing original. Get over it.

Seriously, looking at the rest of your post, you're looking for something that isn't here. Stop watching the show now if you don't like it.
Old 2009-04-17, 16:19   Link #63
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnot View Post
Dude, with the skirts length as it is - how do they expect people NOT to ogle ?
I'm sure you're familiar with the term zettai ryouiki, then.
It's not very apt for the K-ON! girls though. If only they wore some thigh socks.
Old 2009-04-17, 16:25   Link #64
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Lucky for me, it seems we are finally going to head in a more proper direction for this series next episode with the band finally going to start practicing.
Hahaha, oh boy, you're in for a surprise :V

Quote:
No wonder Japan has such rampant schoolgirl prostitution.
Brb, going to Japan. In before enjoy your jail/AIDS/various diseases/etc.

Also, looked through pixiv+booru variants and it seems Mio has the greater share of racy images. My favorite is the finger squishing parody.
Old 2009-04-17, 16:27   Link #65
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Why? Because it consistently proves you wrong? =P

There IS nothing original. Get over it.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ht=originality

Read this thread for opinion's on the matter.

And please, I'll make my own decisions on whether or not I want to watch a show.
Old 2009-04-17, 17:18   Link #66
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ht=originality

Read this thread for opinion's on the matter.

And please, I'll make my own decisions on whether or not I want to watch a show.
Hahahaha.

Quote:
Yes there is nothing really truly original these days, but there are definitely many animes that are not cliches.
You said it yourself.

Also, it's called "advice". Trust me, this show is not for you.
Old 2009-04-17, 17:46   Link #67
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
What? Who said so? So far with what we are presented with, this is a show about four girls clumsily attempting to form a band. The band aspect is not supposed to be completely overshadowed. If they wanted to have a slice of life show, they did not need to make the musical aspect as important as it is.
Just check what is the original format of the source material. Are you expecting a plot oriented series from a 4-koma?

Quote:
Even from the standpoint of it being mainly a slice of life show, it still lacks progression. Usually we would get some good character development
I don't really agree with this being a pure slice of life series, but if you consider it so you shouldn't be expecting plot or character progression at all, since slice of life series are not about the plot, or the characters, but about the mood and the environment.
Old 2009-04-17, 18:21   Link #68
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

mmmm. Assertive Mio... dominating..

anywho, i cannot wait for the concert ep. especially with Mio as the frontwoman!!
Old 2009-04-17, 19:37   Link #69
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
mmmm. Assertive Mio... dominating..

anywho, i cannot wait for the concert ep. especially with Mio as the frontwoman!!
LOL, if there is one they'd do it for the last episode and sing Lazy/Crazy, I guess. Or for episode 12, like 1/2 way through, if they're going to do a 2nd ED.
Old 2009-04-17, 22:35   Link #70
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Are you expecting a plot oriented series from a 4-koma?
Heh, actually I just got through reading two volumes of a 4-Koma manga recently that actually does a good job of plot progression in spite of the form. I think the key is less the format and more whether or not each strip, chapter, or whatever builds off of the previous stuff.

In any case, while the episode wasn't heavily focused on the band aspect, it was still a factor in the story. Heck part of the reason they got worried about Yui's make up test was because if she didn't pass it the club was in danger being disbanded. We also got stuff related to Yui's practice with the guitar before, during, and after the testing stuff.

The way I look at it is this. In series like this, while the theme is part of the story, it's never meant to be the entire story. In fact, it's often secondary to the characters. Doesn't matter if the theme is music, art, sports, etc.

Either way, we're still early in the series. So there's plenty of time for things to develop. Speaking of development, I'm hoping for some episodes focused more on the other girls. Especially one centered around Ritsu.

In terms of the episode itself? Yui likes Mio's fingers. Ritsu channels the power of Miu. Tsumugi's overflowing cup was subtle, but effective. Yui is apparently being Yui. Ui is quite mature, isn't she?
Old 2009-04-17, 22:56   Link #71
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Found the episode interesting. Lots of cute and enjoyable moment.

Ritsu's best moment must be the video and when she enter the room dramatically. Yui? Her light speed writing Mugi must be when she flood the table with green tea ( a fan art will come soon i suspect). Mio: i will say everything, with the best when she in tear worry about Ritsu's severe condition in the snow (Mugi was crying ....).

Great episode, enjoy it like always 10/10.

On the topic of discussion: I don't understand about the "story progression" elements that everyone mentioned. The show is following the perfect "short series" elements (Great start- Good following up- Background and more character explored- Awesome mid-series moment- More background and characters explored- Drama- Awesome ending)
Even when i will still beg for it, if we have a group performing too soon definitely I will feel it is rushing. I rather have the series take everything slowly and use materials wisely. It is more enjoyable to watch
Old 2009-04-17, 23:26   Link #72
masumi
真澄

At the beginning of the episode when Mio was showing Yui her guitar hand, I found it odd that she presented her right hand when she plays the bass left-handed... >_>

I also wish that they would finally do something with music or practice soon, as it has seemed like the set-up is dragging on. I do have to say that the preview for the next episode looks promising in that regard. ^_^
Old 2009-04-18, 00:19   Link #73
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Blog is up.

Very entertaining episode. We really get to see a lot more of everyone's character including Nodoka and Ui. In terms of concert readiness however they aren't making any progress. I'll feel really ripped off if we don't get a single concert before the end of the anime.
Old 2009-04-18, 00:26   Link #74
Amber.Dawn

It'll probably be the last episode if there's only going to be one concert.
Old 2009-04-18, 00:27   Link #75
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Just check what is the original format of the source material. Are you expecting a plot oriented series from a 4-koma?

I don't really agree with this being a pure slice of life series, but if you consider it so you shouldn't be expecting plot or character progression at all, since slice of life series are not about the plot, or the characters, but about the mood and the environment.
I don't have the time to check the source material for many of these shows. I read a synopsis and tried to watch it.

And no I didn't say it was a slice of life show; I was just mentioning that because I think someone else did in this thread. There is a lot of dispute about what slice of life really is though, so I am going to abstain from opening a can of worms there.

However, I do expect some decent character development in a show about bands... When you think about bands, emotion is one of the words that pops in my head. The drama, the struggles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Hahahaha.

You said it yourself.

Also, it's called "advice". Trust me, this show is not for you.
There is a difference between seeing the same old average school drama a thousand times, and seeing something of beauty like Kara no Kyoukai for example.

I did like the first episode, and the second episode was OK. I was lured into this show by the musical theme, and guess what? I like the OP and ED. I see some promise from those two things, so I am interested. I'm not expecting it to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I do expect it to be more than your average school life anime.
Old 2009-04-18, 00:39   Link #76
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by masumi View Post
At the beginning of the episode when Mio was showing Yui her guitar hand, I found it odd that she presented her right hand when she plays the bass left-handed... >_>

I also wish that they would finally do something with music or practice soon, as it has seemed like the set-up is dragging on. I do have to say that the preview for the next episode looks promising in that regard. ^_^
I thought it's normal because she play by left hand, but hold the string by right hand.

She use the guitar pick in left hand, remember?
Old 2009-04-18, 00:43   Link #77
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
I don't have the time to check the source material for many of these shows. I read a synopsis and tried to watch it.

And no I didn't say it was a slice of life show; I was just mentioning that because I think someone else did in this thread. There is a lot of dispute about what slice of life really is though, so I am going to abstain from opening a can of worms there.

However, I do expect some decent character development in a show about bands... When you think about bands, emotion is one of the words that pops in my head. The drama, the struggles, etc.

If you have NOT read the source material or not even the first chapter, OF COURSE your expectations will be totallly off!

That's like these people watching the anime Guin Saga and expecting Final Fantasy or Slayers With King from Tekken. It's your fault if you walked into the show with wrong expectations and end up disappointed, not the fault of the source material, the characters or the studio animating it.
Old 2009-04-18, 01:32   Link #78
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by masumi View Post
Yui's hands hurt because when you hold down the strings on the neck, they grind up against your fingers and can really burn them up. Mio presented her right hand because that is the one that she uses to hold the neck and thus the hand that has the fingers which grind against the strings (the left plucking at the strings, FAR more painful!).

Here, I'll take a picture to show you the difference.

Spoiler for My bass fingers:

I hope that explains it.
Old 2009-04-18, 02:30   Link #79
animeffs13240
V for Victory

yeah it did my hands were like that too when i was playing bass my index and middle finger picking hand not too mention the side of my thumb as well (slap bass) were hurting i learned how to play with those two fingers and my ring finger just to smooth the pain

overall i thought it was a good episode and i do agree with some earlier post.... haven't seen them practicing together good thing that the fourth episode might depict it and i hope to see yui pull out some mad solos later on

i liked how you got see the angry mio (she is still cute when mad)
some of my favorite parts
Spoiler for fav parts for ep 3:

why didn't they help her study throughout the week she had to study i mean if the risk of the club was going to disband wouldn't it make sense to push throughout the week instead of all night cram session? (they're not exatly healthy and very tiring and it only works for that one day then poof its all gone)
Old 2009-04-18, 02:57   Link #80
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

I watched K-On for its comedy and cuteness so I really happy with this serie

I don't mind about the music/band thing as long as the ep is funny like this ep

9/10
Closed Thread