AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of... > Tales of the Abyss (Archive)

Notices

Old 2008-11-17, 16:57   Link #1301
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
You gotta feel sorry for Luke. I mean, he's basically got the mind of a 7-year old, what with his "memory wipe", and has spent most of the last 7 years learning how to function as a human being. And yet every one lambasts him as if he should know everything about everything, and not taking into account the fact that his immaturity is a result of the fact that mentally, he IS immature, as well as being locked up in a mansion with little outside contact. Ok, Jade, Tear, Anise and Ion have an excuse (he does have the body of a 17-year old, and it can be difficult to wrap your head around that level of amnesia), but Guy and Natalia have no excuse, since they're partly responsible for teaching him to function again!
This is why i wasn't happy with the way everyone treated him after the incident. Sure Luke making up excuses wasn't the best possible thing for him to do at the time, though that shouldn't have been the reason for everyone to jump on him. Natalia and Guy especially know the type of life Luke has had, so they should at least be able to accept why Luke did what he did. Van was the only person Luke had in his life, he looked upto him so of course he'd do what he asked, especially when Van was making it out to be as he was, saving the world and be a hero. Van is a smart one for knowing Luke would be this easy to control --- having no worry that Luke would talk about it with the group.

I guess one of the good things that came out of this, is that Luke will begin to change for the better, but still everyone was to harsh on him.
Old 2008-11-17, 17:02   Link #1302
kureizero

Bash Luke! All the cool kids are doing it!

I really wanted to see the Asch losing version of that fight.
kureizero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 17:28   Link #1303
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kureizero View Post
Bash Luke! All the cool kids are doing it!

I really wanted to see the Asch losing version of that fight.
I don't see that many people bashing him at all. Figure we need more doing it to balance things out more .

It'd be stupid for Asch to lose that fight anyways. It'd be unrealistic to see him lose a fight when Luke has completely lost his head. It was pretty even when relatively level heads were at play. Not too hard to counter when he's like that.
Old 2008-11-17, 17:31   Link #1304
yolin.shana

I think they reacted more at his defensive reaction than at the fact he'd led to Akzeriuth's destruction (that'd be very hypocrite coming from Tear, considering she knew from the beginning Van was plotting something). It's understandable they reacted that way, they were all very stressed at the time.
Luke's reaction was natural too. Not only was there denial, but it also seemed as if they were all pining the blame on him only, and he wasn't ready for that yet.
(and anyway it's not entirely his fault, a lot of them have some part of responsibility in it, but the only one we should really blame is Van, since he's the one who wanted it to happen, who's been plotting it for at least seven years)
yolin.shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 18:02   Link #1305
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Nabiki Asakura
Well, i'm not going to make gifs with this episode images, even if luke trying to attack Asch was a good scene, but just this one...

nor like it's a big thing to..

But,now talking about the episode...........WHAT THE HELL?WHY EVERYONE SAID THAT IT WAS LUKE'S FAULT?Sure that he was the "key" to the destruction, but a lot of people have commited some mistakes too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
You gotta feel sorry for Luke.
Not just feel sorry, but you need to know that it's not just Luke's fault.

First I'll talk about you, Princess Natalia, you heard the conversation, you saw Asch's face and you're not an idiot, can't you realize something before the disaster?IT'S YOUR FAULT!

Now you, mr i'm-sooooooooo-cute-Ion. Why you just said "but...but...but...ok, luke, i'll open the door even if this man with RED DARK BAD eyes is smiling in secret right here =D/". IT'S YOUR FAULT TOO!

And, oh, yeah, we have Tear. "Ah, my brother, i tried to kill him. Ah, my brother, he's strange and I do not believe in him. Ah, my brother, he called Luke to this place so suspicious and there are suspicious guards and suspicious and all...well, something will not end good in this episode, but it's ok, since i'm in a different place no one can blame me, and some time after the disaster I'll just tell bad things to luke pretending to look like it's not my fault S2".

Anise...well, she's ok because she have motives to blame Luke since he was so bad with Ion last episode.

Jade. i love Jade. I refuse myself to tell where he have commited the fault, but I saw someone talking about him to pages ago so it's ok too S2

[s]Guy[s/] i refuse myself to talk about Guy too, since he spend his days telling how much Luke's hair is beautiful and how Luke's attitudes are right. He never tried to tell more than "Do you really think these things?>=B".

Asch. ASCH YOU'RE SO CUTE, GIMME A SWEET SMILE!!!!!!!!!! Ok, it's not Asch's fault.

Van... i'll not waste my time talking about something so obivious.

I do not love Luke in that much to blame all the personages in this way(like i'm doing now, cahem). I'm just talking about hypocrisy. It's like children in kidgarden: Luke and Van past glue in Helba's hair. Every kid in the garden saw the two of they making it. Helba called the teacher. the teacher asked who did it. Everyone looked to Luke. Luke said "no, teacher, it was Van senpai's fault too =O". All the kids that saw the situation say nothing. Van runs away.

Ps: it's just a simple example, do not ask me "who's Helba?", please >XD
Ps2: I wrote the post so fast...sorry if I have commited one or more grammar mistakes @_@

edit: WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT'S WITH THE BOY IN THE GAME THAT I SAW IN THE VIDEO RIGHT NOW? SO SAD!;-;

Nabiki Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 18:18   Link #1306
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
If only more people could use their head and understand this instead of bashing him for being an arrogant idiot...
Considering how much you enjoy bashing characters from other series, I find that statement from you rather hilarious (no bad intentions meant ).

Some thoughts for ep 8 which is quite easily my favorite episode thus far

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 18:40   Link #1307
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
If only more people could use their head and understand this instead of bashing him for being an arrogant idiot...
Don't get me wrong, I still think he's an asshat. I can just see why he's an asshat, and more importantly, see how easily Van's plan could have been smashed into little pieces by a little patient explanation. You treat someone like an asshat, they become an asshat.
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 18:49   Link #1308
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

It's just my imagination or Luke has less than 10 fans? Probably my imagination, but, based in the game or the anime, people seems to love more Asch(specially girls) than Luke(not like there's something wrong, Luke is such a...........argh)

Old 2008-11-17, 18:52   Link #1309
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, I understand how Luke grew up into an idiot. Plus, ep 7 was so cliche that only Luke's utter stupidity and denial till the very end actually deviated a bit from the usual cliche. Ah well, he'll get better obviously, that's the usual recipe, I don't doubt I'll like him in the end, not that I really hate him now either. I just laugh at his stupidity and at the character development predictability. But other than that, I enjoy how everyone else kept telling Luke off for being a moron.
Old 2008-11-17, 18:53   Link #1310
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Considering how much you enjoy bashing characters from other series, I find that statement from you rather hilarious (no bad intentions meant ).
Σ(;゚Д゚)
(´・ω・`)
I don't use my head at times too... No bad intentions taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
It's just my imagination or Luke has less than 10 fans?
I'm sure there are at least more than 10... But Asch being popular seems understandable(?). For now.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 19:21   Link #1311
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabiki Asakura View Post
It's just my imagination or Luke has less than 10 fans? Probably my imagination, but, based in the game or the anime, people seems to love more Asch(specially girls) than Luke(not like there's something wrong, Luke is such a...........argh)
I'm sure he has maybe 11 fans . Really I'm sure Luke has quite a few fans from the game anyways. Sure I like Asch more, but that's just personal feelings on it.

Do wonder how much could be done to deal with Van's plan. I mean the guy had to be plotting this well before the kidnapping. Not that more couldn't have been done, but not sure about whether it would have worked in the end.
Old 2008-11-17, 19:31   Link #1312
Nvenya

Too true, since events went according to his plans it's hard to say what he would have done if it failed. He didn't appear to have a back up plan, but you never know. Then there is the score to consider.

Fan of Luke right here and I'm female. He was my favorite character in Abyss, especially because he amused me. Though Jade sure came close to being my favorite, too.
Nvenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 19:44   Link #1313
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Omgosh the best episode so far. That annoying brat finally got what he deserved. Gooo Asch!! Too bad Luke doesn't die. :[
Old 2008-11-17, 19:48   Link #1314
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Well, I understand how Luke grew up into an idiot. Plus, ep 7 was so cliche that only Luke's utter stupidity and denial till the very end actually deviated a bit from the usual cliche. Ah well, he'll get better obviously, that's the usual recipe, I don't doubt I'll like him in the end, not that I really hate him now either. I just laugh at his stupidity and at the character development predictability. But other than that, I enjoy how everyone else kept telling Luke off for being a moron.
Indeed...though I thought it was a bit too late for them all to lay it onto him...it would have been better to have crushed his spirits before all those innocent people were sacrificed...

Quote:
I don't use my head at times too...
Thought so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvenya View Post
Fan of Luke right here and I'm female. He was my favorite character in Abyss, especially because he amused me. Though Jade sure came close to being my favorite, too.
And you are the lucky 11th person

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 19:49   Link #1315
nubby

Honestly, at this point, they can just kill off Luke, have Asch join the party and everything will be peachy.

LOL to people who think it wasn't Luke's fault, you're all in denial, just like Luke.

I don't think it was 100% his fault but it was still him who did it. And I don't think the others were blaming him for it, they've just had it with his attitude-it was everyone else's' fault but his.
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 20:33   Link #1316
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubby View Post
Honestly, at this point, they can just kill off Luke, have Asch join the party and everything will be peachy.

LOL to people who think it wasn't Luke's fault, you're all in denial, just like Luke.

I don't think it was 100% his fault but it was still him who did it. And I don't think the others were blaming him for it, they've just had it with his attitude-it was everyone else's' fault but his.
Luke is so stupid and idiotic that he'll listen to ANYTHING that Van tells him to.

Van: Luke go jump off that cliff.
Luke: Yes sensei!!!
Old 2008-11-17, 20:49   Link #1317
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep8:
I am not saying I dislike how the anime handled that since in general I like how the anime is handling the adaptation, which I admit is likely a first for me where I do not have much of a gripe at all with an adaptation.

And have you played the game? Because one of Asche's lines does go into that. "House Fabre must have some very stupid genes." one of my favourite scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Cloud View Post
Spoiler for About the kid scene:
Tear did use the barrier to protect against the miasma, a scene that was cut out from the anime, but the shield does not last very long and plus the kid was already halfway immersed in the stuff. He was gone either way.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 21:10   Link #1318
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

I personally love Luke's spoiled personality... so I guess that makes me his 12th fan
Old 2008-11-17, 21:15   Link #1319
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

Well essentially Luke is a seven year old spoiled rich kid. You can't exactly fault him for it considering that is all he knows.
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 21:16   Link #1320
Nabiki Asakura
Order Maiden
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Luke is so stupid and idiotic that he'll listen to ANYTHING that Van tells him to.

Van: Luke go jump off that cliff.
Luke: Yes sensei!!!
IT'S EXACTLY IN THIS WAY!
But I think that it's ok to believe in Van in episode 8 since everyone is bullying Luke last episodes. the guy is just having fun like "yay, i'm the embassador, yay yay yay". i hate to have to tell it, but Luke is cute when you look this way...

btw, forgot to say something, a little coment about episode 9 preview....

Spoiler:

Tags
fantasy