AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 11 16.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 23.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 20.90%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 19.40%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 8.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 4.48%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.99%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.49%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-18, 22:52   Link #101
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Great. Now I can't decide who I like better between Saki and Mittan.
Old 2009-05-18, 23:22   Link #102
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
Great. Now I can't decide who I like better between Saki and Mittan.
Mittan for me. =D Deadpan characters ftw.

Anyway I finally got around to watching this ep with subs after a really busy week. Probably not a good idea to watch this show at 12 AM. I think I'll watch it again tomorrow. I... sort of get what their club does and what happened and people's motives... and I sort of don't.

I think I read earlier skimming through this topic that Mittan was 21. Wait, seriously?
Old 2009-05-18, 23:26   Link #103
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Mittan for me. =D Deadpan characters ftw.

I think I read earlier skimming through this topic that Mittan was 21. Wait, seriously?
Yeah, Mittan looks so huggable. XD I dunno, I've seen at least one person that acts like her (though they look nothing like her, so baw), and... I've seen plenty of 21-year-olds her height. I can believe that.
Old 2009-05-19, 00:25   Link #104
SkoolRumble4Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
These text appears in the OP in disconnected paragraphs.

It's also Engrishy. If I'm correct, this is a mangled translation from a verse in the Book of Psalms.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm wondering should I rewatch the episodes in order to get a better understanding of it all. This seems like the type of show that requires thinking.
Old 2009-05-19, 02:51   Link #105
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
...I think I read earlier skimming through this topic that Mittan was 21. Wait, seriously?
Says so on the official site. Third-year college student.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2009-05-19, 09:18   Link #106
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

They really could have made the characters look more mature, that's for sure.
Old 2009-05-19, 13:43   Link #107
SkoolRumble4Ya

I really that was a little girl by the way she was acting around Akira
Old 2009-05-19, 14:10   Link #108
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Says so on the official site. Third-year college student.
Wow. O_O Not unbelievable, but quite the stretch still.

Speaking of the site, has anyone figured out what the whole merry-go-round thing is about yet?

... also dunno if it's been suggested yet but I remember earlier in the topic people were all "20,000 JOHNNIES WTF!?" and I was thinking perhaps the public was confusing/falsely correlating Ms. Johnny-taker with the 20,000 NEETs Akira spirited away... seems too much of a coincidence otherwise.
Old 2009-05-19, 14:19   Link #109
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeah, I think Jan-Poo mentioned that somewhere already. I kinda assumed that too when I saw watching. But does that mean then, that not all the NEETS returned from or even went to Dubai? Because then rumors that the No.11 killed 20000 would disappear, then.

Or maybe that guy Akira talked to during episode 5 wasn't one of those 20000 NEETS?
Old 2009-05-19, 14:38   Link #110
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

By the way regarding Dubai. If the conditions for the not wealthy foreigners are the same as in THAT ARTICLE , then I haven't got a clue how did those guys managed to return.

edit: I'm not really fussed about it though (It's an anime after all, I shouldn't expect mirror-like reality in every factor), but still, when I first saw that scene, I've thought, that guy could have been more angry IMHO, since it must be pretty quite difficult thing to come back from the the middle of the arabian peninsula, especially if one is completely unprepared.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-19 at 14:49.
Old 2009-05-19, 14:56   Link #111
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
By the way regarding Dubai. If the conditions for the not wealthy foreigners are the same as in THAT ARTICLE , then I haven't got a clue how did those guys managed to return.

edit: I'm not really fussed about it though (It's an anime after all, I shouldn't expect mirror-like reality in every factor), but still, when I first saw that scene, I've thought, that guy could have been more angry IMHO, since it must be pretty quite difficult thing to come back from the the middle of the arabian peninsula, especially if one is completely unprepared.
Well he was raging quite hard at first but mellowed out because he realized Akira couldn't remember anything and then went on to say that the experience did shock him back into society, so it wasn't really all bad.
Old 2009-05-19, 15:19   Link #112
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Yeah I noticed that too, and if I consider that #9 probably told them few months ago, he might lose his memory, it is understandable he calmed down soon after.
Also, I think if that NEET was the only one who managed to come back, he would have mentioned to Akira, that the others are still stranded in Dubai, even if he's aware that #9 lost his memories. (I mean, why would he leave his comrades helpless in the desert?) .
So I assume, all the 20000 came back, which is a bit puzzling. (especially if I consider how the real-life Dubai is currently). They are probably hiding for some reason, since we've learned now in ep6, that there are urban legends floating around involving #11's obscene, repulsive habit and her possible relation with the absence of the NEET-s.
Or she might actually really have some connection to them (with a few exceptions like the NEET above).
Old 2009-05-19, 18:29   Link #113
Somnus
Eh?

Well, it's good to know the badge I'm sporting supports a beautiful Johnny-slashing psycho *cough*.

Oh well...that being said, it was a good ep (I love that phone feature Eden had going on). Also good luck Ohsugi, else may you and your separated Johnny rest in peace.
Old 2009-05-20, 08:38   Link #114
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
They really could have made the characters look more mature, that's for sure.
Maybe it's just an excuse, but my take on that is always that the young appearance represents aspects of anime characters' (and our) inner natures, as opposed to anyone's real external appearance. Nevertheless, Saki does look a bit like my own real-life partner, who looks younger than she is. Mittan looks about 12, however. Cute and brilliant, like a child prodigy, or like the inner genius inside each of us.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-05-20 at 08:59.
Old 2009-05-21, 00:18   Link #115
taco

Let's be honest, Mittan really did look like she was just an overly smart but really shy 13/14 year old. Her being 21 is really just meh.

Maybe it's just the voice actor. If it was a different voice actor with a bit deeper voice, wouldn't she sound a bit more older?
Old 2009-05-21, 03:38   Link #116
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Just watched this episode and the prior one:

While I love the characters and find amusement in their interactions, it is the potential social ramifications the show has been displaying that continually fascinate me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who after watching the recent episodes found similarities between Kuze of GitS:SAC and Akira, at the very least, the role that they are about to play.

The societal commentary here is not something you usually find in a show like Death Note (like a certain poster here compared the show to earlier) which is not really a very ambitious show to begin with and doesn't even begin to answer the questions they unintentionally raised.
Old 2009-05-21, 18:12   Link #117
teelotes
·¥äkítðrý·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm trying to think about an example but I can't come up with one, but basically, there are a lot of words that were directly copied from English and then given an entirely different meaning.
Reminds me of the J-List side blog, read an article there about this a long time ago. There are probably lots of examples available in that blog if you need to quote any.

On another note, a minor point that I chanced upon while thinking about Akira's extravagant household: Who pays the bills? Surely the utility bills will wear down whatever wealth he has, if he frequently left the shopping mall and its shops brightly lit.

Also, what could all the boxes behind the sealed area mean?
Old 2009-05-25, 03:19   Link #118
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field of Lilies View Post
What did surprise me was her behaviour later on in the ep. The whole "I wasn't sure if I could really believe everything Takizawa said then, but it does seem scary. So let's all go together." line followed by waiting in the car while her friends went to scoop out the place seemed kinda odd to me. Of course everyone would be suspicious of Akira, that's not the issue. The thing is that you'd think Saki's would be past that by now, considering how much time she's spent with him, including being at that very mall before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BC~ View Post
She's spent time with him but does she actually know him (we're up to day 5 in series)? He's not really been able to disclose anything to her since he's kind of a blank slate right now. I'd like to think she realized how dangerous her behavior was once she had to actually go back through the mall on her own in ep 3. I mean she was in an empty mall in a slum with a complete stranger. He really could have done anything to her if he'd wanted to (that he didn't is beside the point). On the other hand she may have simply acted that way to put Hirasawa at ease.
I was laughing at that. The light bulb finally came on in the attic. Hopefully someone took the animation team aside and gave them a talk about how women aren't normally that naive. That was a teenage female level mistake.

Is "johnny" a popular term in Japan? If not, then which countries use "johnny"? That's a pretty rare usage for what it's designating in the US. The term is usually the nickname for Richard or nickname of rooster.
Old 2009-05-25, 03:25   Link #119
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

If you think they used it much in episode 6, you have to see episode 7. Serious discussions with obscure references .
I've always thought it's a pet-name for John too. (Urbandictionary's page is more confusing about the term to be honest)
Was it rude from me to call my college named John, as Johnny?
Old 2009-05-25, 03:31   Link #120
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Lol. I'm pretty sure it's just a euphamsim they made up. Like I said, me and my mates did that all the time in college.
Closed Thread