AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2004-08-16, 04:48   Link #1
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Sephon
What's so good about One Piece?

Heya

This is not a flame, just a question.
After all the hype and mentioning One Piece has recieved I decided to get my hands on a few episodes. Said and down I managed to get hold of ep. 1-15 and I think it's kind of interesting, but nothing special at all.

The art isn't anything in particular, and the story is a bit original but I lack a lot of feelings in it. It doesn't feel as I merge into the story in difference to other great animes I've seen in my time.

The action is a bit odd and extreme, reminds me a lot of old cartoons where the characters always survived no matter how much you whacked and punched them and they do get smacked a lot.

So I just want to know, is this series a bit overrated and only for a selected audience or does it pick up speed after the first 15-20 episodes?

If it continues the same way that they travel around island after island to help people from pirates it should become quite boring. Mostly because the main character is a pinhead and just set his mind on becoming the pirate king and that's it. He's strong but totally out of it, which doesn't help since you want to merge with the story and feel for it, but when it feels so superficial it's hard to do that.

Well, it might be just me that doesn't like the anime but I hope It's just that it is slow-paced in the beginning and picks up.

Could you please help me to sort this up, is it a serie you fall in love with instantly or not at all?
Sephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 05:14   Link #2
dnmt

It definitely picks up later on, but you shouldn't force yourself to watch the show if you don't like it.
dnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 05:38   Link #3
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Thanks dnmt.

It's not that I don't like it. It just doesn't feel special at all, not in my top 10 so to speak.
But since it picks up I think I'll try to get a hold of at least 10-15 more episodes and judge after that.
Old 2004-08-16, 05:58   Link #4
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

One Piece is not great... like how Naruto is not great... basically, it's a shonen-type of an anime... but One Piece is definitely very entertaining and addicting... the show is good cuz it has a good story... the characters are all very likeable as well... even the villains... I say you watch all the episodes (except for those garbage filler arcs that most animes of this length tend to have).... or read the manga.... you won't regret it...
Old 2004-08-16, 06:32   Link #5
Draikan7

keep watching it, i felt the same as you before, until the characters really grew on me. its one great big fun adventure!
Draikan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 07:06   Link #6
dnmt

Smile

Yeah, the characters are definitely the highlight of this show. You can't help but like all of them, even though they are all very different from each other.
dnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 12:54   Link #7
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
GOD the first fifteen episodes suck in comparison to later episodes. Keep watching, the arcs get much more character-driven and action-filled, such as the Baratie arc, the Arlong arc, and the Loguetown arc.

Anywho, the reasons I love One Piece:

~ The main characters mesh so well together. Each have their own distinct personality and contribute their own thing to the group.
~ The stories can be very dramatic, especially each of the characters' histories. It really shows why each character does what they do and how they tick.
~ The character designs are whacky, zany, and unique. It's a fresh change from the stereotypical "badass" anime designs (ie. Naruto).
~ The characters are all very likeable and have their own personalities -- even villains and supporting characters.
~ Lots-o-Funny-Stuff. ^_^
Nyssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 15:42   Link #8
Jn183

Many people have asked this question in the past, What's so good about One Piece? That was after watching first 10-15(for some all the way to 30+). And out of those "many people" that try to give it a 2nd chance and watch till 40ish.. 98.2% of them are addicted to One Piece now. They are all scrambling around the net seeking the newest One Piece fansub eps, raw, chapter, and yes...even checking out 4kids sneak peek of One Piece.

So give it a try.

P.s. Arlong Park....finish that arc and if you not interested...OP is not for you.
Jn183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 21:34   Link #9
HAHAHA
Rules at Life

Send a message via AIM to HAHAHA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jn183
P.s. Arlong Park....finish that arc and if you not interested...OP is not for you.
Agreed. In my opinion, the Arlong arc is the best of the series, and it was the one that really got me hooked. Watch it before making a final judgement.
HAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-16, 22:16   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

u also cant expect ur opinion to be the same as all of us. Even if it's really popular, i mean not all american guys watch Football(american) every sunday.
Mr. Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-17, 15:01   Link #11
DeluxSkillz

seriously i was hooked after the first 5 eps or so, luffy is one of the whackiest and funniest anime characters ever and if you don't like him i think one piece is not for you, i feel that luffy is one of the main reasons a lot of one piece fans are fans of the show today....anyway it starts slow and the usopp arc was really bad it was until later that i started to like usopp once usopp starts to get really funny that's where the series gets good, usopp looks like a moron at first but later on his sissy personality makes him hilarious
DeluxSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 20:19   Link #12
ragweed
woah woah!

It must be doing somthing good if people get tattoos of it. =D

ragweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 20:22   Link #13
Gold_D_Roger
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragweed
It must be doing somthing good if people get tattoos of it. =D

wow i hope those aren't permanent tattoos or else that would sorta suck. Ive seen 60 year olds that had tattoos on their arms but they were all deformed because their skin's all shaggy....yuck lol
Gold_D_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 22:30   Link #14
Nyssane
Mohji Fanboi

Send a message via AIM to Nyssane Send a message via MSN to Nyssane
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxSkillz
seriously i was hooked after the first 5 eps or so, luffy is one of the whackiest and funniest anime characters ever and if you don't like him i think one piece is not for you, i feel that luffy is one of the main reasons a lot of one piece fans are fans of the show today....anyway it starts slow and the usopp arc was really bad it was until later that i started to like usopp once usopp starts to get really funny that's where the series gets good, usopp looks like a moron at first but later on his sissy personality makes him hilarious
I personally don't like Luffy much, but I love One Piece still. ^_^ For a main character, he's unique, but he grates on my nerves so much sometimes.
Nyssane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-18, 23:39   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

What's so good One Piece?

It's really hard to describe, the simplest way I can describe is about the story as a whole which is One Piece.

One Piece is not just a tale about one character. First we start with Gold Roger legend, then we have Luffy story, then we have Shank story, then we have story about Zoro and Kuina, then we have Nami story, etc. It keep going and going. Each story add up a little to the world of One Piece, each character including the bad guys contribute something into the story line.

In the begining it's like we set out riding a tiny boat with Luffy following his promise we're gona have a big adventure. By the time for everyone that been following Luffy adventure to the curent episode, now we're riding in a huge pirate ships with a giant One Piece flag, crewed by the many many characters that build up this series. ^^

That's my tought about the meaning of One Piece and what so good about it.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 01:09   Link #16
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
One Piece.....

before this i was hooked on naruto.
and then, one of my friend introduced this to me.
i was not really interested since the drawing turned me off with its's "uniqueness"
but then later i didnt have anything to watch except naruto.
so i decided to give it a try.
and like you i really didnt get hooked by it the first 15 episode.
it was okay but not really great. but i was reading the manga too.
so i knew what was going to happen in the anime.
and i was looking forward to meeting Sanji. thats what kept me going til about
episode 20's and then arlong arc comes up and drags me into the series.
making me forget about naru-what crap and watching every single one piece episode, movie, extra, manga, and bunch of other stuff.

Character is the Key
Story is the Gas
and the Comedy is the Wheel.
im the driver of course
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-19, 06:28   Link #17
Gmc

I wasnt too big a fan of one piece at first...but I kept watching up to the arlong saga and I got hooked - I've now watched upto 104 and cant wait for the next ep to get subbed.
Gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 02:22   Link #18
Icer

You wont find too many people who love the show in the first 15 episodes, it grows on you after awhile.

If you get up to the Arlong part and still dont like it, well it might not be for you.
Icer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 04:49   Link #19
Jackl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAHAHA
Agreed. In my opinion, the Arlong arc is the best of the series, and it was the one that really got me hooked. Watch it before making a final judgement.

Agreedx2

Although I found the Zoro/Mihawk episode to be quite inspiring. But it was Arlong who hooked me in the end.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-23, 08:33   Link #20
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Whoy, many replies here, thanks!

Quote:
Many people have asked this question in the past, What's so good about One Piece? That was after watching first 10-15(for some all the way to 30+). And out of those "many people" that try to give it a 2nd chance and watch till 40ish.. 98.2% of them are addicted to One Piece now. They are all scrambling around the net seeking the newest One Piece fansub eps, raw, chapter, and yes...even checking out 4kids sneak peek of One Piece.
You got me there. I got a feeling that I'm addicted now, at least the spending of one weekend watching to ep. 50 should count a bit towards that.

I'm definitely hooked now and will continue to watch until I've caught up.
As previously stated the "uniqueness" of the anime turned me of in the beginning, but after a few more episodes I started to enjoy the unique characters of the One Piece realm.

Although I hate some, like Buggy and his return episodes. But almost everything I hate is because it makes the story halt up a bit (like the 2 minutes relapses you get at every episode) and that should present my obsession to see more of Luffy, Nami, Zoro and Seiji(?).

The Arlong arc rocked! And the Zoro history too.
It was a while since I got all misty-eyed from seeing flashbacks in anime, the world is cruel. But good things will come your way in time.

Thanks all for giving me hope to keep watching and making me realise that I was lucky not to miss out this great anime!