AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations > Custom Requests

Notices

Old 2018-09-17, 07:14   Link #21
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Like I've said, the point isn't a bad ending or bad stuff happening at the end. It's the villain succeeding. For that to happen the protagonist can come out completely unscathed. Just take the Hollywood movie The Silence of the Lambs (1991) as an example. The protagonist succeeds, one bad guy is taken care of, but another bad guy - Hannibal Lecter - gets away. Or another Hollywood movie: Primal Fear (1996), where it is revealed at the end that the protagonist - a lawyer - didn't get some tragic victim out of murder charges, but an actual cold blooded killer.

Devilman isn't what I'm looking for. And neither are Saishuuheiki Kanojo nor Hotaru no Haka. Those don't even have a bad guy. What I'm looking for isn't failure (on the protagonists part). I'm looking for success (on the villains part).
Old 2018-09-17, 08:17   Link #22
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

You mentioned Katanagatari as an example of something that meets that criteria, which does raise the question: does it have to be strictly a villain, or can it just be an antagonist (Katanagatari is a series where most everyone loses except a person who is not the story's villain, though they is clearly an antagonist). You also mentioned series in your first post were a non villainous antagonist is unclear as counting.

If:
- Series were the protagonist is unclear/has dual protagonists but there is a side that is more sympathetic than the other.
- The deuteragonists are not villains though they are clearly antagonistic to each other.

Legend of the Galactic heroes is an option. I have not watched the newer one but the old OVA's meet the above two criteria.

Last edited by Proto; 2018-09-17 at 10:39.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 14:23   Link #23
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

A bad guy is someone that kills and gets away with it. That's how Katanagatari and most of the other stuff I mentioned fits in. I've seen Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel (the old one anyway) already and it's not really what I have in mind. Killing people in war doesn't make one a bady guy, it makes one a hero.

It doesn't have to be killing, though. Could be stealing.
Old 2018-09-17, 17:34   Link #24
Tenzen12

Full metal panic sigma. Sousuke and Tessa won. They are bad guys.
Old 2018-09-18, 11:46   Link #25
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

@Tenzen12
First: anime only.
Second: Sousuke is the protagonist. I'm interested in the bad guys winning while the good guys are the protagonists.
Old Yesterday, 08:24   Link #26
Tenzen12

Anime will get there too eventually and Kaname count as protagonist too right? And she is with Leonard instead.

Well, I get your point.
Old Yesterday, 10:29   Link #27
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Persona 4 Golden: The Animation has one where Narukami gives up to the villain but it's mostly a what if scenario.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04   Link #28
Nivek von Beldo

Did Gundam 00 Season one count?
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 15:26   Link #29
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Don't know. I gave up on watching Gundam a long time ago. But if you have to add "season 01" then no, it probably doesn't count. It mustn't be temporary.
Old Yesterday, 17:46   Link #30
Tenzen12

I guess it would count, but it doesn't really matter as first season isn't really stand-alone story. Bad guys might win but it was only to set tension for second season. It isn't meant to be self-contained story.