AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-14, 07:01   Link #81
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
This looks interesting, but then I remember this is Trigger and that Darlin something show they recently did. Hmm, what to do...
Honestly I think a lot of people are placing too much weight on "Trigger" as a brand. If we run through what Trigger has done, the characteristics people usually attach to it - the bombastic, hyperactive, drug fuelled visionary action - are an exclusive quality of Imaishi's works specifically, and Imaishi's only two full Trigger series were Kill la Kill and Space Patrol Luluco. Then we have the completely troll stuff like Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer, but besides that, there's also:

- "When Supernatural Battles Become Commonplace", that no one remembers but was a pretty tame, average LN adaptation
- "Kiznaiver" that was scripted with Mari Okada and sure enough was mostly a teenage character-driven drama
- "Little Witch Academia" that was created by Yoh Yoshinari and is one of the most fluffy, cute, wholesome and child-friendly things to ever come out of mainstream anime ever
- "Darling in the FranXX" that was... well... yeah.

My point is, outside of some specific art quirks (like their signature four-point star) and stylistic flair, most of these shows just don't have much in common. They had different writers, themes, tones, and aims. Even Trigger's fame for heavy fanservice is not really earned - the only fanservice-y shows here are KLK, Darling, and some scenes of Ninja Slayer. So basically, look at the writers, not the studio. Darling in the FranXX was quite a trainwreck, but I don't see why SSSS Gridman should be as well, since the people writing it are different. Sure, it could be, I just don't think it's more or less likely.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 07:30   Link #82
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

so anyone catches the Ultraman and other Tsuburaya kaiju cameos in Akane's room?
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 07:56   Link #83
bercerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
.................... Darling in the FranXX was quite a trainwreck, but I don't see why SSSS Gridman should be as well, since the people writing it are different. Sure, it could be, I just don't think it's more or less likely.

https://twitter.com/SSSS_GRIDMAN/sta...67761964802048
they make this show as "a love letter to master Obari" which you can see in 'gridcalibur end' animation.
Spoiler for with some comparison to true super robot:

its a pure and uncut old school super robot shit. i heard they borrow some of old breed animators from sunrise to help this one. im pretty sure this time they not gonna fall short.
bercerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 11:55   Link #84
wuhugm
Confused Shark

I hope silver hair wins, best girl~
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 12:08   Link #85
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
You got good taste.
Old 2018-10-14, 12:15   Link #86
Marina2

I was still not sure if I would continue to watch this or not after I watched the first ep., but the revelation on Akane in ep.2 made me interested now.
Old 2018-10-14, 18:36   Link #87
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Sunrise for example could use with trying out something new that is not Gundam for a bit, especially considering how bad some of the latest series have been (Reconquista in G, Gundam AGE, GBF Try and GBD). God knows they could do with a break from the norm to try and recharge their creative juices.
Sunrise is many, many things, and having variety is one of them - they're not exactly a studio that only makes mecha shows. I mean, currently one of their biggest and most successful franchises outside of Gundam is Love Live!, which you know is about female idols.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 19:37   Link #88
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
I agree. She's also very talented with all the model making she does. I groaned when I found out she was the villain.
Old 2018-10-14, 19:39   Link #89
Applehell

I too had preference for Akane in terms of design, character and I still do. But as a legit love interest... um?

Though I'm fine with some Foe Yay.

Last edited by Applehell; 2018-10-14 at 20:10.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 20:15   Link #90
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Sunrise is many, many things, and having variety is one of them - they're not exactly a studio that only makes mecha shows. I mean, currently one of their biggest and most successful franchises outside of Gundam is Love Live!, which you know is about female idols.
Yeah, not to mention they have Doug & Kirill airing right now, which is doing quite well and is a spinoff from one of their biggest hits ever. Sunrise is no more a mecha-only studio than their progeny, Bones.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 20:20   Link #91
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Akane is my favorite so far, though I'm not sure she'll get into any type of romantic relationship with Yuta.
Old 2018-10-14, 21:00   Link #92
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
That is why I am talking only about the mecha side of things, which is the main thing they do.

Besides, I don't care about Idol culture and that was not a post about the other shows they make so there is no reason for me to mention it.
Old 2018-10-14, 21:01   Link #93
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^Then it will be a major wasted potential just like Nibutani being weird character in Chuunibyou

Btw, the VA for silver haired best girl Shinjou Akane voiced another crazy white haired girl before as μ in Caligulla
Old 2018-10-14, 21:09   Link #94
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
That is why I am talking only about the mecha side of things, which is the main thing they do.

Besides, I don't care about Idol culture and that was not a post about the other shows they make so there is no reason for me to mention it.
Even in the mecha genre, Sunrise has made tons of mecha shows before - Code Geass is one of their properties afterall, so is Armored Trooper VOTOMS, and they were the studio behind the Brave series of mecha shows from Exkaiser to GaoGaiGar.

Your post makes the statement that Sunrise should "break out of the norm", when in fact they've been doing that for a long time now.

Quote:
^^Then it will be a major wasted potential just like Nibutani being weird character in Chuunibyou
Speaking as a rabid shipper, not every male x female relationship in a story has to be of a romantic nature.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 21:16   Link #95
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Speaking as a rabid shipper, not every male x female relationship in a story has to be of a romantic nature.
Agreed
But for best girl it must be romantic yo
Old 2018-10-14, 21:17   Link #96
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

But...but...she gave him her sandwich. Shared food experience should be a first step to couplehood.
Old 2018-10-14, 22:44   Link #97
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And not just a sandwich. - a “special dog”. That’s the biggest flag there is!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 22:47   Link #98
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Even in the mecha genre, Sunrise has made tons of mecha shows before - Code Geass is one of their properties afterall, so is Armored Trooper VOTOMS, and they were the studio behind the Brave series of mecha shows from Exkaiser to GaoGaiGar.

Your post makes the statement that Sunrise should "break out of the norm", when in fact they've been doing that for a long time now.

How old are some of those series by now though? The last mecha anime not named Gundam or taking place in the Gundam universe that I remember them making was Buddy Complex back in 2014 and it borrowed heavily from Gundam (and Evangelion in some aspects) that it might as well have been a spin off (it was also not really good unless you were watching it for the unintentional comedy).

Of the ones you mentioned the VOTOMS OVA is the closest one back in 2011. If you want to get technical the two Code Geass OVAs Nunally in Wonderland and Akito the Exiled released in 2012 and 2016 respectively, but when anyone mentions Code Geass it is the original series they are talking about and not either of these two (although in my opinion Code Geass was never that good to begin with).

Out of all the series they make how many of those are just basically Gundam with a different name? Look, I'm not bashing them, I like Gundam myself and I understand that Gundam is one of the mecha series that revolutionized the genre. But, I am not going to ignore the fact that the Gundam formula is copy and pasted all over the genre, more so on their own stuff. I also, understand that they have tried different things, but most of the time they either fall back on their Gundam trappings, or get so lost they don't know how to fix things (anyone remember Valverape and how hilariously bad that was?).

(Before any Gundam or Sunrise fan comes and tries to check my credentials, yes, I did go and watch the original Gundam series and it was great and I noticed where the genre got it's trappings and clichés from. Also, I hate Amuro with a passion and laughed my ass off any time he was slapped, the RX-78-2 is definitely badass and Char is awesome even though he works for the space Nazis. Can I be in the club now?)

Besides, like I said, out the two I mentioned they are the one that I would least expect to have anything to do with the series I mentioned, so you focused on the wrong part of my post.

Quote:
Agreed
But for best girl it must be romantic yo
Well, he did wake up in best girls house so the flag is already there.
Old 2018-10-14, 23:10   Link #99
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
It is the only anime in a long while to make me smile throughout the entire episode, how could I NOT be excited. That was definitely a good surprise, but I am more focused on the one with the godly thighs.

Yes, yes we could do with more of it. We could also use more dinosaur content, but that's just me.
No problems here. It's always good when anime makes go crazy at least once through its running (your own signature is half related, by the way).

I was talking about Rikka, you know. I've seen enough fanart to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

"Dinosaur content" is way too broad. You have to be more specific or risk getting something like kemono friends. Not that it would be a bad thing for certain, but I feel that's not what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
You will find few more cynical to the over-produced, marketing-driven Trigger hype machine than I. But Gridman is the anti-Trigger in so many ways.
It's certainly up there with Kiznaiver as least loud Trigger anime so far, which was a surprise. Lesson is, you don't need to go insane from the first minute to make a good mecha/toku/sentai show. Nice ladies should be a must, though
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 23:29   Link #100
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

All the Transformer Shatter Glass hints are making me spin my eyes.
Yet, somehow it can make sense if they story is really taking place in a Cyber World.

ED is loaded with hints that Akane is lynch and bullied in real life. With the way she refers to Gridman and co. as guests, the world we see right now might be her personal garden in cyberspace that Alexis created for her.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kaiju, super hero, tokusatsu, tsuburaya