AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-04-05, 06:38   Link #1
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Penguin Drum - General Discussion

http://penguindrum.jp/

Staff
Concept/Director/Series Composition: Ikuhara Kunihiko
Original Character Design: Lily Hoshino
Animation Character Design: Terumi Nishii
Script: Takayo Ikami
Chief Director: Shouko Nakamura
Assistant Director: Mitsue Yamazaki
Concept Design: Shouko Nakamura, Katsunori Shibata
Art Design: Akiyama Kentaro, Chieko Nakamura
Color Design: Kunio Tsujita
Music Composition: Yukari Hashimoto
Animation Production: Brains Base

Cast
Kanba Takakura: Subaru Kimura
Shoma Takakura: Ryohei Kimura
Himari Takakura: Miho Arakawa
Ringo Oginome: Marie Miyake
Special Guest Appearance: Megumi Iwasaki

- Premieres in July on MBS/TBS
- The series is 24 episodes long

Last edited by duckroll; 2011-06-27 at 09:43.
Old 2011-04-05, 06:44   Link #2
Grim_Reaper

The title is kinda... odd?
Can't wait for the details.
Old 2011-04-05, 07:27   Link #3
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Now how can he fit lesbians in this one?!
Old 2011-04-05, 07:35   Link #4
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Now how can he fit lesbians in this one?!
Lesbian penguins, you heard it here first.

Although at this point it might be some mahou shoujo with a penguin themed transfor... what am I saying.

Looking forward to it. And what's with Japan and penguins nowadays. First ufotable's Minori Scramble, now this!
Old 2011-04-05, 07:44   Link #5
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Penguins are cute and awesome.
Old 2011-04-05, 07:49   Link #6
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Penguins are cute and awesome.
I have nothing to add regarding this statement, for it is the truth. But someone should give Japan a shout out that red pandas are also cute and we need a red panda anime.

More importantly though, is there any way to try and extract any info from the Star Child involvement or just far too early?

EDIT: The ANN article made me realize that if you reload the page, a different one, this time with a black color scheme, pops up, and it also has a different message. Translation from ANN:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Update: The website has two messages — one in white:

We share all my love and all your punishment.

When the website is reloaded, the other message appears in black:

I will inform those of you who won't amount to anything.
Can't say it tells me anything, though!

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2011-04-05 at 11:57.
Old 2011-04-06, 03:58   Link #7
duckroll
綺羅星★!

The only staff involvement we know so far is that the producer is a Mr. T and that Ikuhara is collaborating with a Ms. I to write the series. So the question is, how many male anime producers have a name which starts with T, and how many female anime writers have a name which starts with I? :P

Edit: Oh I forgot some other details. The assistant director is a Miss Y. Ikuhara also said in the past that the main production staff is made up of 60% females. Lol.
Old 2011-04-07, 08:28   Link #8
_gallo_

I wonder which studio is going to animate it. Any guess? Based on previous, Ikuni’s work I would bet either on J.C Staff or Toei, but things sure have changed after 12 years hence these speculations are a bit groundless.

Nonetheless I hope for a glorious return of Ikuhara.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
Old 2011-04-07, 08:35   Link #9
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
I wonder which studio is going to animate it. Any guess? Based on previous, Ikuni’s work I would bet either on J.C Staff or Toei, but things sure have changed after 12 years hence these speculations are a bit groundless.

Nonetheless I hope for a glorious return of Ikuhara.
The "word" since last year is that it will be Brains Base. Ikuhara tweeted about Brains Base needing staff some time last year. It is unlikely he would help "pass the word round" about a recruitment notice like this unless he was working directly with the studio in some capacity. Much like how BONES helped post on their site about Kinema Citrus needed staff when they first started up, which led to the correct assumption that they were working on the E7 movie at the time (and subsequently Tokyo M8).
Old 2011-04-07, 13:39   Link #10
_gallo_

Thanks for the info duckroll.

Brain Base has done some good adaptations lately (in fact I was planning to give Dororon a try). If Ikuhara is with Brain Base I have good hopes for his series. The only thing about the studio is how many anime they’ve aimated in the last couple of years. I don’t want them to get stuck in a "Shaft syndrome" where the staff is continuously rushing to meet the deadlines and therefore the quality of animation/directing suffers from it. Then again, I assume many people inside the industry are willing to work under Ikuhara. This should downplay the risk.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy
Old 2011-04-07, 14:31   Link #11
Grim_Reaper

Quote:
Starchild
Can anybody tell me, what is this? A block like Noitamina?
Old 2011-04-07, 15:29   Link #12
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_Reaper View Post
Can anybody tell me, what is this? A block like Noitamina?
Starchild is the anime production label of King's Records. It's a distribution/production company, like Aniplex.
Old 2011-04-07, 23:39   Link #13
Grim_Reaper

duckroll, I see, thank you.
Old 2011-04-27, 20:12   Link #14
darkchibi07

Hmm, it seems he set up a ustream account that's related to this upcoming series. I don't when it's coming on air though.

http://twitter.com/#!/ikuni_noise/st...65048172314625

Quote:
【こっそり拡散希望】本日、夜19時ごろ(たぶん)『こっそりピングドラム』http://www.ustream.tv/channel/penguindrum #penguindrum
Old 2011-04-27, 21:36   Link #15
duckroll
綺羅星★!

There's going to be some sort of announcement on the Ustream channel at 7pm tonight it seems. That's about 7 hours 25 minutes from now.
Old 2011-04-27, 23:30   Link #16
Grim_Reaper

Can't wait
Old 2011-04-28, 07:02   Link #17
darkchibi07

Is this it?

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/14327731
Old 2011-04-28, 11:40   Link #18
Grim_Reaper

So what was it actually?
Edit: So, just some producers (or something) from Ikuhara's new project responding to questions about it in the vaguest possible manner. Thanks for the information, Good Haro

Last edited by Grim_Reaper; 2011-05-19 at 01:00.
Old 2011-05-17, 22:40   Link #19
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://moca-news.net/article/20110518/201105181000a/01/

Penguin Drum is a 24 episode series. It is likely to be replacing Dororon on MBS/TBS in July, since they're going to start advertising the show this week after Dororon's airing. For the remaining six episodes of Dororon, they will run a different 20 second ad after each episode.

While the studio and staff are still not revealed, the lead character Himari Takakura is a girl played by a newcomer - Miho Arakawa. The story revolves around the lives of the 3 siblings in the Takakura family. No other details have been revealed at this time.
Old 2011-05-17, 22:55   Link #20
darkchibi07

24 episodes, huh? I'm still curious about the plot; I guess I have to wait.

Tags
drama, ikuhara, penguin, stalking, supernatural, surrealism