AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-14, 16:05   Link #1
Rab
UG'er

Send a message via MSN to Rab
Horror anime suggestions please.

"Horrifying". l'm after a certain characterised horror anime, people. Nothing like Hellsing by that matter. Y'know films such as Saw and The Living Dead? Just that level of horror is satisfaction for me.

Maybe l ain't seen a "dead" proper one. So l haven't seen much scary shit to be considered "scary". therefor it isn't currently possible to list horror anime l've seen or that l forgot their names. So, sorry in advance there.
Old 2009-02-14, 16:18   Link #2
NDK
ArtRodriguez

Tsukihime is all that comes to mind. It's not scary scary, just what the hell scary.
Old 2009-02-14, 16:35   Link #3
Rab
UG'er

Have you seen Higurashi? Well. The first few episodes of that anime is what l'm after. Higurashi was great to watch and is the sole reason l'm seeking more horror anime.

Tsukihime is what l'm going to watch now.
Old 2009-02-14, 17:52   Link #4
GreatTeacherKen

Well, there isn't really that much horror anime to be honest, so recommendations are going to be a bit tricky.

But I suppose you can try the movie Perfect Blue. It's not really like Saw or anything, but it's a great movie, and probably one of the closest things in anime to a live action horror movie. It does a great job of putting the viewer within the main character's shoes which really makes the movie much creepier.
Old 2009-02-14, 18:30   Link #5
Rab
UG'er

Tsukihime wasn't my cup of tea after all, lol. And l'm looking more along the lines of a series of anime episodes, rather than a movie. l'll watch it anyway since it looks good.

Maybe l didn't explain well enough here. Forget my first post about Saw n' etc.

l'm looking for anime simular to Higurashi with gory murders and stuff which make you "jump" at frightening scenes.
Old 2009-02-14, 18:33   Link #6
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Elfen Lied maybe? Thats a bit more gory then scary though. I think Higurashi trumphs in the gory/weird/wtf anime genre Mouryou no Hako is good but its not gory, just weird.....
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2009-02-14, 18:46   Link #7
Rab
UG'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Elfen Lied maybe? Thats a bit more gory then scary though. I think Higurashi trumphs in the gory/weird/wtf anime genre Mouryou no Hako is good but its not gory, just weird.....
Elfen Lied caused me to shed a tear during the end. Very powerful in it's own right. So that was a incredible watch personally.

l'll be sure to watch Mouryou no Hako later.
Old 2009-02-14, 20:30   Link #8
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

I would suggest Higurashi--When They Cry. Be aware, it starts out normally enough... just wait.
Also the Uzumaki manga series is sooo creepy/gory. I couldn't finish it--it freaked me out.
Old 2009-02-14, 20:45   Link #9
Shadow Kira01

Horrifying...?

Ayakashi: This is about the ayakashi which is similar to Kekkaishi except that some of the episodes are rather disturbing.. Some of the guys and girls happened to be somewhat blood-thirst.

Devil May Cry: I guess this isn't horrifying if people had played one or more of the games. Once again, Dante returns for some mercenary jobs that relate to devil hunting.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: This anime seems to be very popular but I lost interest after watching the live-action. It appears that all the female characters in the anime are psychopathic. Poor Keiichi, the protagonist went to a very traditional village without knowing much about the place is in deep trouble shortly after arrival.

Jigoku Shoujo: This is sort of like Strega of Persona 3. It is a story about a revenge website that is only accessible at midnight for a very short period of time, kinda like the Hidden Hour between 12:00am and 12:01am. The story itself is more like Death Note.

Kurozuka: I was kind of surprised that the anime turned out the way it did which is totally different from the game "Dawn of Genji". Instead, Yoshitsune goes by the name Kuro and is a vampire.
Old 2009-02-14, 20:46   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Have you seen the Jigoku Shoujo series? Its currently running the 3rd season.

If you have someone you want to kill, use the internet to contact Jigoku Shoujo. You only need to pay her with a straight ticket to hell when you die.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-14, 20:52   Link #11
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Iunno if this series would work, but I found some of the latter episodes of Dennou Coil a bit scary (watching in a dark room at night). It is not scary as in like you can not sleep, or extremely gory (and thats all) similar to Saw. It just is scary in its on little manner. But other than being a bit scary at some parts, it still is an amazing series with a deep story.

My tastes may be a bit different than yours~
Old 2009-02-14, 22:06   Link #12
Rab
UG'er

Thank you thus far, guys. Really appropriate all these fabulous suggestions everyone has thrown towards me. Defiantly these should keep me occupied. But l wonder if they're what l'm after. Doesn't matter anyhow.

So that's all l really need for now. I'll be sure to seek you Otaku's wisdow another day, lol.
Old 2009-02-14, 23:18   Link #13
Fweakin

I'm not sure how accurate this suggestion would be, but Kara no Kyoukai has some disturbing moments in it (particularly some scenes in the 5th movie). At any rate, it's a series that you'd want to watch regardless.

Edit: Ack. Maybe not what you're after then.
Old 2009-02-15, 00:15   Link #14
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Thank you thus far, guys. Really appropriate all these fabulous suggestions everyone has thrown towards me. Defiantly these should keep me occupied. But l wonder if they're what l'm after. Doesn't matter anyhow.

So that's all l really need for now. I'll be sure to seek you Otaku's wisdow another day, lol.
Boogiepop Phantom. It was my favorite horror series before I first watched Higurashi. (And returned to first place after I realized that Higurashi wasn't a horror series after all )

Also, it is not exactly horror but Serial Experiments Lain has a dark atmosphere that tends to get you stressed and agitated, in a similar fashion to what a horror series would do.

On a much minor level, Ghost Hunt is primarily a mystery series, but some of its arcs could be considered a mixture between mystery and horror.
Old 2009-02-15, 04:59   Link #15
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
Higurashi would have been the first and obvious choice, but you seem to have seen it already.

I was going to suggestion Serial Expertiments Lain but Proto beat me to it--it's not exactly what you want, but it's got some really depressing/dark elements--very dystopia like.

If you want a body count, then maybe Claymore, but it's more about gore and fighting than true horror.

Perfect Blue might be alright--its more of a thriller than a horror show though.

Bokurano might be an alright fit--the first episode is sorta misnomer for what the show is about--much of it is about different people facing death in different ways--sometimes it doesn't go too well. It's not an exact fit though.
Old 2009-02-15, 05:50   Link #16
*reira*

I feel almost stupid suggesting them, since I suppose you've already watched them if you're a horror fan, but what about the Devilman OAVs?
Old 2009-02-15, 07:34   Link #17
Amray

I thought that Lunar Legend Tsukihime was amazing. Nearer towards the end is when it is really good, although I still adored the beginning.

The only other one I can think of is Jigoku Shoujo. To be honest I have never been scared when watching an anime so I would not really know. I prefer the Thriller genre or simply Slice of Life. Therefore this is an area in which I lack in.
Old 2009-02-15, 08:24   Link #18
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I would second the Kara no Kyoukai recommendation - it definitely has its share of disturbing and gritty moments. Also features absolutely stunning animation and good music. Should be watched for the amazing presentation alone

Gantz is something worth having a look at i suppose. Rather dark and disturbing in many ways, once you get past the initial weirdness, but the lack of likable characters "might" be a problem. Either way, i would suppose this one to be relatively close to what you want.

Ghost Hunt is another title you could give a try, following a group of people involved in a number of paranormal cases. While generally not that scary, it does have its moments, and is a pretty good show overall.

Strait Jacket is worth giving a shot at i suppose, though i am not sure if this is what you are specifically looking for. It is only 3 episodes though, but pretty good three episodes.
Old 2009-02-15, 09:58   Link #19
Rab
UG'er

After reading over all of your suggestions and comments, plus given careful, considerable thought of which to watch. l've narrowed a couple down to consider watching. They are Serial Experiments Lain, Gantz and Kara no Kyoukai. Maybe what l'm looking for after all because of em' "dark and disturbing" moments.

That'll do for my craving for "horror"-though l doubt ya could count them as horror.
Old 2009-02-15, 10:38   Link #20
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Whoops, I just realized that in my previous post about Boogiepop Phantom I had linked to the Live Action movie. This is the link to the anime information page.
Closed Thread