AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-03-22, 09:07   Link #101
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Well, the girl I'm talking is tomboyish too, and has a sarcastic laugh (her trade mark), she smiles whenever she talks but comes back to her cold look when alone... she is sometimes a joker.... oh.. I find that weird now.... I often have that "toki toki" sensation when I was around her.... *a sign of a loli maniac...hahahaha
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 10:29   Link #102
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
I heard that small girls (I mean really small) tend to have a bite, probably because they are compensating for their size. So they make themselves noticeble by being loud and strong willed.
I've seen nothing to dispute this; I had a sorta-girlfriend a few years ago who was five foot even. She was...a handful.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:35   Link #103
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
What really surprises me is, that the anime fans dont get tired of it. There are so many ecchi/harem series and it is the same thig over and over again. So the name of the characters change, the haircolo changes too, but the plot is always the same, and if you are lucky, they will add a little twist here and there so that you know you arent watching the same thing as last season. Doesnt that get repetetive and boring?
I think we need to be distinguish what we're talking about here. Up until your mentioning the plot, I thought that you were talking about any fanservice, but it sounds like you're talking about harem ("ecchi") series.

As far as those types of series go, I generally avoid them. They don't hold my interest, but it isn't because it's repetitive or boring; I just have limited time and there are many other things that I'd like to watch.

If harem-type series are successful, the viewer is able to superimpose himself on the main character and derives a sense of joy and pleasure from watching as relationships and intimacy are formed with the female characters. I think it's fairly universal among males that there's a certain thrill in getting close to girls who they didn't know previously. That doesn't ever get boring; you might as well ask why men don't tire of sex, given that it's the same thing over and over again each time. It's something that's "hard-wired."

Anime series do throw things out to female viewers, but I'd agree with you that it seems most series cater toward a male audience. From what I understand, there are quite a few manga series that cater to female readers, though (although probably still more that cater to males).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
She was...a handful.
So many openings for a perverse joke here
Old 2012-03-22, 15:08   Link #104
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I personally don't mind fanservice most of the time but I think that some of the stigma surrounding it would be removed if more studios bothered to use it with more subtlety and in the truest sense of the word. By inconspicuous I mean that the director shouldn't assume that the audience is mostly idiots who need it beaten over their heads that this is supposed to be sexually stimulating and by correct I mean that fanservice is used as an initiative to keep watching moreso than the payback for continuing the watch. The former usage of semi-erotic material is incorrect because it's often used to bring in fans instead of catering to the preexisting audience like the term fanservice actually suggests.

Spoiler for Example of a good fanservice scene:
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2012-03-23 at 08:37. Reason: Clarification. Length
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 10:19   Link #105
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I'm really tired of people complaining about fanservice or ecchi shows all the time like they are higher instance of moral or taste.

There are shows that have ecchi in them and there are those that don't.
Many people like the ones with ecchi.
If you don't like ecchi, then don't watch them. If you still do, it's your own damn fault, not the show's fault for showing it to you, not the other people's fault for liking it.

There are at least a dozen popular anime tropes that I don't like. If I spot them in a show, I drop it, or I endure it. I don't go around complaining about it.

Ecchi fanservice adds ecchi fanservice to a show and that's a good thing.
If a show sucks despite having ecchi parts, it was a bad show to begin with.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 10:43   Link #106
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I'm really tired of people complaining about fanservice or ecchi shows all the time like they are higher instance of moral or taste.

If you don't like ecchi, then don't watch them. If you still do, it's your own damn fault, not the show's fault for showing it to you, not the other people's fault for liking it.
It isnt so simple as you put it, because the majority of shows contain it, so it isnt just a matter of avoiding it and watching something else. Furthermore, certain shows would be otherwise very interesting, but the constant annoying fanservice is sometimes destroying the fun.

I personally never meant to imply, that people who like ecchi are in any way inmoral and I dont think any of the other people posting here had that in mind. You are the one putting it into that relation. If not liking ecchi and fanservice makes you a moral person, then I guess I must be an angel.

But coming back to what you said, that people who dont like fanservice should just be quiet and watch something else..... then why dont you do the same? I mean, you obviously dont like the posts in this thread, so why dont you post in some others? Ah, because you feel annoyed by what people write here? Uhhhh and I feel annoyed by fanservice, The same thing, isnt it?
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 10:46   Link #107
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Because this is a disussion board, maybe?
It's purpose is to post on threads.

I disagree btw. that the majority of anime contains ecchi material. Most of them don't. And the ones that do are often not the best in other regards and try to bolster this with ecchi.
This is a nice try, but does not make a bad show good.
The good shows with ecchi are a rarer thing, than the good shows without it it.

Ultimately, if the majority of anime is something you don't like, maybe you just don't like anime?
If the amount of ecchi is as you percieve it, then your stance comes over like "I love country music, but I hate guitars and singing. If only they could stop degrading their music with that stuff I could listen to more songs."
Old 2012-03-23, 10:48   Link #108
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Because this is a disussion board, maybe?
It's purpose is to post on threads.
Oh and I agree. It would have been just fine if you posted that you like fanservice and why.

But dont tell people what they should think and do. Thats where it crosses a line for me.
Old 2012-03-23, 10:55   Link #109
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I crossed the line when I disagreed with you?
Old 2012-03-23, 11:00   Link #110
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I think we need to be distinguish what we're talking about here. Up until your mentioning the plot, I thought that you were talking about any fanservice, but it sounds like you're talking about harem ("ecchi") series.

As far as those types of series go, I generally avoid them. They don't hold my interest, but it isn't because it's repetitive or boring; I just have limited time and there are many other things that I'd like to watch.

If harem-type series are successful, the viewer is able to superimpose himself on the main character and derives a sense of joy and pleasure from watching as relationships and intimacy are formed with the female characters. I think it's fairly universal among males that there's a certain thrill in getting close to girls who they didn't know previously. That doesn't ever get boring;
I agree. You're right, that doesn't ever get boring, at least at a conceptual level. But the specific way it's commonly executed can get boring.

I think what warita is referring to is how cliche a lot of ecchi fanservice execution is. The following two very specific types of ecchi fanservice show up a lot in anime:

1) Guy clumsily stumbles over, falls on top of a girl, his hands just so happen to land on her breasts in a fondling position (milder cases of this aren't too bad, but some are executed with such improbability - i.e. girl's clothes just happen to perfectly fall open to reveal her bra or naked breasts - that it really makes me facepalm hard).

2) Guy idiotically walks into the washroom or a girl's bedroom without knocking first, catches her in a state of undress, just stands there slack-jawed instead of actually trying to get out of the room while the girl screams in embarrassment (and likely inflicts slapstick comedy violence on the guy).

For me, whatever sexual appeal these scenes might have is usually drowned out by how painfully cliche I find these scenes in general.

If I could wave a magic wand radically altering anime content, I'd gladly trade most instances of 1 and 2 above for an equal number of consensual make-out scenes between two characters in love. The anime Kimi ga Nozomu Eien had some actual, tasteful love-making scenes in them, and I found most of them pretty hot and enjoyable to watch. If ecchi fanservice had more of that, and less "Guy acts idiotically leading to embarrassed girl having her underwear/nude body revealed", I'd like it much more than I do now and probably let whatever remaining issues I had with it slide.

Seriously, I highly recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien to anybody who wants a better idea of the sort of ecchi fanservice I'd like to see more of. I found it to be a very compelling life/romance drama.
Old 2012-03-23, 13:25   Link #111
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:

There are at least a dozen popular anime tropes that I don't like. If I spot them in a show, I drop it, or I endure it. I don't go around complaining about it.

Ecchi fanservice adds ecchi fanservice to a show and that's a good thing.
If a show sucks despite having ecchi parts, it was a bad show to begin with.
I don't think most people here have a problem with ecchi fanservice. They have a problem with the way these scenes are executed. And the amount in which it is shown. And how cliche(as explained by triple R) the ecchi fanservice scenes are.
Old 2012-03-23, 13:38   Link #112
Goshin

Send a message via AIM to Goshin Send a message via Yahoo to Goshin
I think if one has watched many of these comedy /harem/ecchi series, than they get really annoying. it doesn't take that many series to get genre savvy and everything becomes painfully predictable. but I wonder if it's because the companies did not really expect us to still be watching these series as we grow up. what may seem annoying and repetitive to us, might appeal to a new generation of anime watchers. for example: Pokemon, if you had been watching for pokemon or (series like pokemon) for the past 12 years you would get sick of it and hate it the series (genre) but they use the same formula for story telling because it works and they always have a new generation of story telling.

Personally I grew tired of the generic fan-service scenes rather quickly. Like someone above mentioned, the subtle scenes usually work best and more of turned on. by leaving it to watchers imagination which is probably dirtier anyways.

"The Journey of thousand miles begins with the first step"

Last edited by Goshin; 2012-03-23 at 15:36.
Goshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 15:16   Link #113
mecharobot

Quote:
There is so much ecchi out there that you are probably disentisized towards it, in other words, it has become normal for you and you dont even perceive it.
Lets see, what are the ongoings that I'm watching: Natsume Yuujinchou, Smile Precure, Gundam AGE/Unicorn and Chihayafuru. I guess I've somehow become desensitized to the massive boob groping and panty shots in them, right? I'm sure you'll point it out at me.

Sorry to sound smug, but I'm just better at picking anime than you. I don't seek out to watch ecchi shows, because I think they are horrible junk (no offense to people who like them, but I don't find it funny or interesting). I have watched some in the past to learn that there is little for me to gain from them (although I'm watching one that has it, Shikabane Hime, because a friend absolutely insisted on it).

Now look here, if you choose to watch some generic action show aimed at japanese teen boys, then you only have yourself to blame for what you get. You're not learning from getting burnt.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 15:37   Link #114
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
Lets see, what are the ongoings that I'm watching: Natsume Yuujinchou, Smile Precure, Gundam AGE/Unicorn and Chihayafuru. I guess I've somehow become desensitized to the massive boob groping and panty shots in them, right? I'm sure you'll point it out at me.
And how many of those would you call main stream (Besides Gundam)?

That's also just a very small fraction of the total anime released each season.

Quote:
I'm really tired of people complaining about people complaining about fanservice or ecchi shows all the time like they are higher instance of moral or taste.

Quote:
Sorry, if this hurts your feelings. I'll still watch the shows and criticize them for incorporating those elements poorly. If I am going to be so picky I might as well quit this hobby because avenues of escape are not that numerous.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 15:51   Link #115
mecharobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
And how many of those would you call main stream (Besides Gundam)?

That's also just a very small fraction of the total anime released each season.
So? No one is forced to watch every new show and can easily skip any "popular" show they like (Smile Precure was 6th in last weeks anime TV-ratings iirc). No one is stopping one from making the choices they want to do for themselves.
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-23, 16:04   Link #116
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
I'm really tired of people complaining about people complaining about fanservice or ecchi shows all the time like they are higher instance of moral or taste.
This is reminding me of a Monty Python sketch.

Old 2012-03-23, 16:16   Link #117
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Sorry, if this hurts your feelings. I'll still watch the shows and criticize them for incorporating those elements poorly. If I am going to be so picky I might as well quit this hobby because avenues of escape are not that numerous.
I have absolutely no problem with critizing a show for what it does poorly.

My gripe is with the notion, that fanservice is bad, period. That a show is bad, because it has fanservice.
Not because it is doing it badly, or because it is just a bad show all over. No, it has fanservice, therefore it is bad.
As if the only thing fanservice could do to a show, is to destroy it, or at best be "subtle" so that you might overlook it. And please don't argue that this notion does not exist. This is clearly what OP is hinting at.
Old 2012-03-23, 17:25   Link #118
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree. You're right, that doesn't ever get boring, at least at a conceptual level. But the specific way it's commonly executed can get boring.

I think what warita is referring to is how cliche a lot of ecchi fanservice execution is. The following two very specific types of ecchi fanservice show up a lot in anime:

1) Guy clumsily stumbles over, falls on top of a girl, his hands just so happen to land on her breasts in a fondling position (milder cases of this aren't too bad, but some are executed with such improbability - i.e. girl's clothes just happen to perfectly fall open to reveal her bra or naked breasts - that it really makes me facepalm hard).

2) Guy idiotically walks into the washroom or a girl's bedroom without knocking first, catches her in a state of undress, just stands there slack-jawed instead of actually trying to get out of the room while the girl screams in embarrassment (and likely inflicts slapstick comedy violence on the guy).

For me, whatever sexual appeal these scenes might have is usually drowned out by how painfully cliche I find these scenes in general.
I guess I can understand where you're coming from. I don't find it boring, but I don't watch much anime these days. Perhaps as a result, I'm not being exposed to it as much as you, so it doesn't feel quite as played out. It could also be a hormonal thing... my hormones have been cooling off as I age, but sometimes I find myself wishing that they'd cool a lot faster

Quote:
Seriously, I highly recommend Kimi ga Nozomu Eien to anybody who wants a better idea of the sort of ecchi fanservice I'd like to see more of. I found it to be a very compelling life/romance drama.
I began to watch that series as a single teenager who badly wanted a girlfriend. That series was so depressing to me at the time, I had to drop it. It certainly struck me as being very sexual (not unusual for a series based off of an H-game), but I could see how you would regard the sexuality as being a bit more advanced. For one, they didn't tease with cliche intimate encounters; sex was not shown, but it wasn't hidden.
Old 2012-03-23, 17:47   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I have absolutely no problem with critizing a show for what it does poorly.

My gripe is with the notion, that fanservice is bad, period. That a show is bad, because it has fanservice.
Not because it is doing it badly, or because it is just a bad show all over. No, it has fanservice, therefore it is bad.
As if the only thing fanservice could do to a show, is to destroy it, or at best be "subtle" so that you might overlook it. And please don't argue that this notion does not exist. This is clearly what OP is hinting at.
You'll notice that the OP started the thread and then utterly vanished - they didn't really want to discuss the topic with the possibility they may encounter information that would lead them to modify their view

Fly-by posting means never having to explain yourself :P
Old 2012-03-23, 17:48   Link #120
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecharobot View Post
And I am sure wou will be so kind and point out to me where I said ALL shows contain ecchi.

Its like Eragon said, this is more about the amount of ecchi and how it is executed. I have watched a few shows that contain ecchi and liked it. As long as there is not too much of it, it is OK for me. Also I wouldnt mind, if the shows offered something for the ladies as well.... and a bare chest of the MC just doesnt do it to me, you know.