AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-16, 22:07   Link #521
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Being in Japan, I'd like to ask a question: Do English dub voice actors/actresses have their radio shows about the anime or have fan events promoting the anime?

This is one of the interesting parts of the Japanese anime industry - there are lots of tie-ins to promote the sales of the DVDs. Do Anime released in the US have such promos? Or is just based on fansub popularity?
Well as far as I know living in New Jersey anime is only really bought by people who loved the fansubs of the anime online or if they happen to like the group who picked up the anime and started dubbing it into english. (Like Funimation for example)

In America there are random cons to go to and whatnot and if the con is highly popular, they will have promotions at the cons like flyers or english voice actor autographs or panel.

It would be neat if they had events on certant days that had like for instance Higurashi events one day or a radio show you can tune into that isn't a podcast you have to find on itunes, but anime isn't as popular as it is in Japan, so this will never happen.

The best we have are Cons that we go to that happen every so often.

My question:

Is Funimation planning (Or currently) redubbing Higurashi?

I heard rumors on youtube and such but didn't know if it was true. Gosh, I hope it is!
Old 2008-12-16, 22:58   Link #522
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
My question:

Is Funimation planning (Or currently) redubbing Higurashi?

I heard rumors on youtube and such but didn't know if it was true. Gosh, I hope it is!
I already answered your question 2 months ago.
Old 2008-12-17, 08:48   Link #523
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orophin View Post
Oh thankies.

But I thought that maybe Geneon gave Funimation more freedom randomly all a sudden...but I guess that didn't happen...
Old 2008-12-17, 16:24   Link #524
Mistypearl
Whack and Unwrap!

I was on the funimation website today, and their 'quickie' podcast was up like 2 days ago talking about licensing 10 new titles in the 10 days before January 1st. Now I don't want to raise people's hopes, but I know alot of people are thinking Kai will be one of them, but I'm just saying, it could be possible. Also the site is the funimation site slash newshowagogo.

Let's cross our fingers
Old 2008-12-17, 19:21   Link #525
Eryops

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Being in Japan, I'd like to ask a question: Do English dub voice actors/actresses have their radio shows about the anime or have fan events promoting the anime?

This is one of the interesting parts of the Japanese anime industry - there are lots of tie-ins to promote the sales of the DVDs. Do Anime released in the US have such promos? Or is just based on fansub popularity?
I don't think that Higurashi got any real advertising in the US. Of course it's aimed at a niche target audience which is probably already aware of the show, so advertising it to that group would have probably been unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyajitchi View Post
Oh thankies.

But I thought that maybe Geneon gave Funimation more freedom randomly all a sudden...but I guess that didn't happen...
The dubbing for Higurashi S1 was already finished. Dubbing is the most expensive part of releasing a series in the West. Why would they unnecessarily repeat if for a title that only has a limited target audience?
Old 2008-12-18, 10:40   Link #526
Icehawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
I don't think that Higurashi got any real advertising in the US. Of course it's aimed at a niche target audience which is probably already aware of the show, so advertising it to that group would have probably been unnecessary.
Only real advertising i've seen for Higurashi is the animated links they have on the ANN website. Atleast its better than nothing, ANN gets pretty high traffic so hopefully some casual fans have taken notice to it.

Has there ever been any indication just how well the series has sold on DVD over here? I thought I recall that prior to Geneon pulling their distribution that the series was selling fairly well, but I havent heard if its been doing well again since they have started re-releasing it.
Old 2008-12-19, 21:48   Link #527
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryops View Post
The dubbing for Higurashi S1 was already finished. Dubbing is the most expensive part of releasing a series in the West. Why would they unnecessarily repeat if for a title that only has a limited target audience?

Yes that is why I was wondering if this rumor I heard was actually true or not.

I really can't say I dislike the english dubbing of the Higurashi series since I didn't really watch much but all of episode 4.

I didn't necessarily like it because of the butchered laughter they did...

But I wonder if they will have an all new cast for season 2, Solutions. (kai)
Old 2008-12-21, 15:42   Link #528
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
I recently finished watching the last DVD of the series

And I must say I personally really like the dubbed version just as much as the Japanese version, Meakashi-hen and Tsumihoroboshi-hen were handled especially well in my opinion. Though they were shaky earlier in the series, I felt the actors really got into their characters eventually and were great in these last two arcs.

I really hope Kai will get licensed soon and that all the actors reprise their roles. ^^
Old 2008-12-21, 18:39   Link #529
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
Whoa you got the last DVD fast! xD

Man I reallly need to get 4 - 6. Hopefully I get a giftcard for Christmas and use it to buy Higurashi. <3

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Old 2008-12-21, 22:23   Link #530
Orophin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsu Koneko View Post
Whoa you got the last DVD fast! xD

Man I reallly need to get 4 - 6. Hopefully I get a giftcard for Christmas and use it to buy Higurashi. <3
I received mine early too along with my copy of Vol. 5. They shipped it two weeks before the release date.

Anyway, for those who wanted to know what the mini poster of Vol. 6 looks like, this is the image they used.
Old 2008-12-21, 22:44   Link #531
Joly
モエカステル

Final appearance? Why is that? o_O
Old 2008-12-22, 03:53   Link #532
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
Quote:
I received mine early too along with my copy of Vol. 5. They shipped it two weeks before the release date.

Anyway, for those who wanted to know what the mini poster of Vol. 6 looks like, this is the image they used.
Wow you're lucky. xD

Aw that pic is cute. ^^

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Old 2008-12-23, 13:24   Link #533
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

If you want to buy the Higurashi DVDs, buy them at the Z store.

They sell the limited (Now I think retired) bundle with Art and dvd 1 w/ box for the price of a regualr DVD that you would buy of the Higurashi series, and they as well sell all the other DVDS 1-6 (W/ or w/out art box that was DVD 1) for a amazing pricing of 22 bucks!

http://www.Zstore.com

...of course if there is a better place to buy them...
Old 2008-12-23, 17:30   Link #534
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

Got volume six.

+ Holy crap... Rena's laugh finally improved, even if it's not quite as good as the original!
- Some of the dubbed lines... are similar to the original, but not as good.
Old 2008-12-23, 22:38   Link #535
CatQueen

Quote:

I can't help but wonder why they didn't include that poster in Vol. 4 instead.

Last edited by CatQueen; 2008-12-23 at 22:40. Reason: had to fix my sentence
Old 2008-12-23, 22:56   Link #536
Oyajitchi
Giroro's Bestest nakama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Dragons View Post
Got volume six.

+ Holy crap... Rena's laugh finally improved, even if it's not quite as good as the original!
I plan to eventually buy all the DVDs including the DVD 1 Art Box Bundle, but was wondering if the english voice cast for Higurashi would progressively get better and when.

In this case up till (Sadly) the last volume it got better, volume 6. But the main question(s) is when does it start to pick up and does the english voice cast even compare to the Japanese voice cast.

Also the minus was some of the dubbed lines didn't meet good standards with the original's dubbed lines... is it a big deal or, for instance a very troublesome problem?

Heh.
Old 2008-12-23, 23:04   Link #537
Ace of Dragons
AKA Squirrel

True enough, true enough. The changed lines aren't as big a deal as I made it out to be. I guess it's just personal preference and just how much people like the original dialogue (like the fun-fun underground torture chamber?) and hope for it to be the same or how unexpected they are.
Spoiler for Episode 26 Dub:

I'm not sure when they start getting better, but it's probably some time after Onikakushi-hen.
Old 2008-12-24, 00:04   Link #538
Orophin

Oyajitchi, you don't have to watch it in english you know. I haven't even touched the english dub myself.
Old 2008-12-24, 05:04   Link #539
ShiiChan
Killer loli xD

Send a message via MSN to ShiiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Dragons View Post
Got volume six.

woww....what mini poster did you got with Vol. 6? Or there isnt poster in it?
Old 2008-12-24, 13:57   Link #540
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
Oyajitchi, I'll say that in my opinion, Watangashi-hen and Tatarigoroshi-hen are done a bit better then how the first arc was handled, and that the last two Arcs were definitely the best as far as the VAs performances go. But it's really up to the listeners preference to decide when they find a performance acceptable to their standards.

and Shiichan, as Orophin said, this is the image used for the mini-poster: http://i42.tinypic.com/2wchezs.jpg
Closed Thread