AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-10-24, 23:30   Link #61
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Tsundere is basically a reinvention of the most cliched one-dimensional anime characters.

Anime-watchers are used to basically differentiating the characters in anime based on their hair color, bust size, or a prevailing personality trait. Many of the characters, a lot of the borne out the fire and brimstone of date-sim bishoujo games, are so far lacking in real character and real personality, that the only way to tell apart one girl from another is that one is petite and has pink hair and the other is tall and has blue hair (yes, Kimi ga..., I am bashing YOU!).

These characters usually have a single character trait that makes them what they are. Date-sims convertions are a very good indicator. Take Love Hina. You can tell Mitsune apart because she is a drunk and flirty. Madoka is a pseudo-miko-cum-samurai. Shinobu is a timid loli.

They are so one-dimentional because it makes them easier to understand. The audience these shows are aimed at is too young to be able to grasp the nuances of complex character relationships found in seinen or josei, thus the need for highly simplyfied, one-dimensional characters who exist to fulfill a single role.

But, over the years, even this simplicity gets a bit tiring, thus the totally bogus invention of the 'tsundere' character.

A Tsundere is a one-dimensional character multiplied by 2. She is one type of character half of the time, and another type of character the other half, which offers some novelty, but does not solve the fundamental problem that these kind of date-sim-spawned characters are absolutely devoid of life.

Since the tsun-tsun and dere-dere personalities are the most prevalent and simplistic among the cliches that pester date-sim convesions, combining them into one has been a no-brainer.

I know that 'tsundere' is now considered 'moe' among some fans, but don't let that simple attraction to bitchy-turned-sweet characters fool you into thinking that they in fact have multi-faceted personalities. The don't. They exhibit two personalities not because they are complex, but because that creates an illusion of complexity.
Here Here, I'll drink to that post! Mmmmmmm, Root Beer! Right then, back to Code Geass. Sheesh Ya'll (meaning everybody in this thread) need to go watch Legend of The Galactic Heroes or something. Then come back and talk about character.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-24, 23:56   Link #62
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
How about Lum, from Urusei Yatsura. 1978 I think.
No, Lum is very consistent in her affection towards Ataru and all of her anger is just. To qualify for tsundere streotype, the character must show excessively negative outburst to mundane matters by the other character. Ataru was publicly asking for sex to strangers, thus would have been arrested or beaten to pulp by someone else anyway, had Lum not intervened first, in a way saving him from legal troubles and furthur humiliations. Ataru is the lustiest(?) person in the universe, so it will take extraordinary force to stop him, so you can't really say Lum's lightening bolts are excessive.Ran is closest of Urusei Yatsura Characters to tsundere type. Of course, the person nobody wants to anger is O-Yuki Sama.
Old 2006-10-25, 18:01   Link #63
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
No, Lum is very consistent in her affection towards Ataru and all of her anger is just. To qualify for tsundere streotype, the character must show excessively negative outburst to mundane matters by the other character. Ataru was publicly asking for sex to strangers, thus would have been arrested or beaten to pulp by someone else anyway, had Lum not intervened first, in a way saving him from legal troubles and furthur humiliations. Ataru is the lustiest(?) person in the universe, so it will take extraordinary force to stop him, so you can't really say Lum's lightening bolts are excessive.Ran is closest of Urusei Yatsura Characters to tsundere type. Of course, the person nobody wants to anger is O-Yuki Sama.
Ran a tsundere? I have to disagree. She's not even close to being a tsundere as she does show affection towards Rei. She's more of a burikko.

I would opt for Benten or Fujinami Ryunosuke as being the closest to tsundere in Urusei Yatsura. They are both tomboyish at nature, but show signs of dere as well (especially Ryunosuke towards Shinobu wwww).
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-25, 22:18   Link #64
wontaek

I guess it is best to say tsundere streotypes were not fully formed at the time of Urusei Yatsura. All the girls in Urusei Yatsura were rather complicated person when you got to know them, thus difficult to put them in to a streotype category. O-Yuki may remind you of cool beauty type, but she occasionally shows her 'playgirl' side ( remember her sigh while she says she wasted an opportunity of a fun little quickie with Ataru? ), tease ( how about some sherbets to her 'friends' she recently froze ), and her anger is terrible to behold, but most importantly, she was made many years before Rei of Evangellion fame.
Old 2006-10-25, 22:47   Link #65
Bloodseeker

I'm kinda split on the tsundere archtype... some of my top favorite anime characters fall under it (Asuka Langley-Sohryu, Urumi Kanzaki, Rin Tohsaka, etc), but some of my least favorite anime characters fall under the archtype as well. (Akane Tendo, Sakura Haruno, etc)

I find that I like tsundere characters as long as they're smart and competent (I mean that they're actually smart and competent, not just that the show tries to tell you that they're smart and competent when they're really not, like in Sakura Haruno's case) and not too abusive. The only exception to the rule that comes to mind is Naru, whom I've always liked for some reason that I can't figure out. Too hot to hate?
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 05:32   Link #66
Olf-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodseeker View Post
I'm kinda split on the tsundere archtype... some of my top favorite anime characters fall under it (Asuka Langley-Sohryu, Urumi Kanzaki, Rin Tohsaka, etc), but some of my least favorite anime characters fall under the archtype as well. (Akane Tendo, Sakura Haruno, etc)

I find that I like tsundere characters as long as they're smart and competent (I mean that they're actually smart and competent, not just that the show tries to tell you that they're smart and competent when they're really not, like in Sakura Haruno's case) and not too abusive. The only exception to the rule that comes to mind is Naru, whom I've always liked for some reason that I can't figure out. Too hot to hate?
It is kind of similar with me, only I don't like the Tsundere types in Harem series, like Narusegawa etc. I find them abusive and simply being jerks. To me Tsundere is more attractive in a more serious setting, ie. Evangelion etc.
Olf-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 20:12   Link #67
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
I guess it is best to say tsundere streotypes were not fully formed at the time of Urusei Yatsura.
You guys forget the biggest tundere character in UY.

Ataru, of course.
Old 2006-10-26, 21:00   Link #68
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

Ataru, of course.
I like to agree, except that Ataru's lust is literally out of the world, plus it is hard to label the character that popularized the word 'Harem' as mere tsundere. He is the first character I know of, that unabashedly expressed his desire to become a Harem Master.
Old 2006-10-26, 22:22   Link #69
jackal777
~Bishoujo-Fetish~

list of tsundere chara^^that i know

Airi Sawagashi (Kage Kara Mamoru!)
Akane Tendo (Ranma 1/2)
Anko Uehara (Great Teacher Onizuka)
Asuna Kagurazaka (Negima!: Magister Negi Magi)
Eri Sawachika (School Rumble)

Haruhi Suzumiya (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
Hazuki (Tsukuyomi -Moon Phase-)
Izumi Sawatari (He Is My Master)
Kaname Chidori (Full Metal Panic!)
Kazuki Arisaka (Tonagura!)
Louise Francoise le Blanc de la Valliere (Zero no Tsukaima)
Meryl Stryfe (Trigun)
Meia Gisborn (Vandread)
Motoko Aoyama (Love Hina)
Naru Narusegawa (Love Hina)
Ophiucus Shaina (Saint Seiya)

Rika Akiba (Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora)
Rin Kamishiro (Maburaho)
Sakura Haruno (Naruto)
Sara Shirogane (Futakoi/Futakoi Alternative)
Satsuki Kitaoji (Ichigo 100%)
Shana (Shakugan no Shana)
Shayla-Shayla (El-Hazard)
Suiseiseki (Rozen Maiden)
Suzuka Asahina (Suzuka)
Tamayo Kizaki (Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer)
Tohsaka Rin (Fate/Stay Night)
Vita (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's)

Game Note: Many of these games have also been made into anime.

Eimi Oba (Comic Party)
Karen Tachibana (Soul Link)

Makoto Sawatari (Kanon)
Michiru (AIR)

Ranpha Franboise (Galaxy Angel)
Ruri Himeyuri (ToHeart2)
Shiho Nagaoka (ToHeart)

Touka (Utawarerumono)
Yu Yamanami (Soul Link)
All heroines of Tsuyokiss CoolxSweet
jackal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 00:28   Link #70
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post

Ataru, of course.
U-n...well he might be a tsundere towards Lum, but his lecherous antics towards others kind of overwrites that.

Oh, here's a good one: Android No. 18 towards Kulilin wwww そうオモワネ?ww

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal777 View Post
Tamayo Kizaki (Kidou Tenshi Angelic Layer)
Michiru (AIR)
Shiho Nagaoka (ToHeart)
Touka (Utawarerumono)
Kizaki Tamayo? u-n, she's more of a hyper-active girl, than a tsun...
Michuru? u-n...not quite...
Nagaoka Shiho? Defintely not a tsundere. Hoshina Tomoko is more like a tsundere than Shiho.
Touka? Hmm... yappa chigauna~...

tteiuka, how can you guys forget Suigintou from "Rozen Maiden"? She's tsuntsun and "obakasa~n" to everyone except the occasional moe~ dere she shows towards Megu!!!

Last edited by kj1980; 2006-10-27 at 00:41.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 00:34   Link #71
Shana-tan
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai

jackal did you get that list from wikipedia? jeje...

Uruchai! Uruchai! Uruchai!
Shana-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 00:39   Link #72
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
U-n...well he might be a tsundere towards Lum, but his lecherous antics towards others kind of overwrites that.

Oh, here's a good one: Android No. 18 towards Kulilin wwww そうオモワネ?ww
I agree to both.
Old 2006-10-27, 03:44   Link #73
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
:O how can you miss out an obvious one...
Tohsaka Rin ~ Fate/Stay Night
I get the feeling she's being dodged. This despite the fact that's she's practically the poster girl for the archetype. She doesn't start out hard and go soft. She goes from one side to the other and back again, and she does so relatively naturally. As I got to know the character better, I felt I could see both sides at the same time. I recall some people complaining that Rin wasn't getting enough "character development" towards the end of the series, which I found ironic. I thought she was very well developed, and that the complainers were confusing character development with screen time.

She may be obvious, but she's inconvenient if you're dealing with the Tsundere archetype in absolute terms.
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 04:36   Link #74
Anime Online

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal777 View Post

Kazuki Arisaka (Tonagura!)

It is true that Yuuji gets smacked frequently by Kazuki, but I'd say he thoroughly deserves it every time (in other words, he's asking for it).

Ecchi behavior (Yuuji) + Doesn't like ecchi-ness (Kazuki) = Yuuji gets smacked

Hence, I wouldn't call Kazuki a tsundere, as she's merely reacting normally to Yuuji's uninvited ecchi-ness.
Anime Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 11:06   Link #75
DanielSong39

Kazuki seems rather shell-shocked by Yuuji's initial behavior... it doesn't take long before she starts smacking him for every little offense (and non-offense). Look closer; much of the abuse Yuuji takes in the series is undeserved.

I'd say she qualifies.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 11:46   Link #76
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Too bad Ranpha of the anime isn't all that Tsundere.

She's more of the Beautiful that always goes for the loser guys.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 12:07   Link #77
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

How does this list not have Asuka Langley (Eva) on it
Old 2006-10-27, 18:02   Link #78
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Whats the point of this? are we just posting out fav Tsundere charcters or is there more?

Rin: Fate Stay
Eri: School Rumble
Old 2006-10-27, 20:37   Link #79
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Question

So does Deunan Knute of Appleseed qualify as Tsundere? She is madly in love with Briareos, who was once her sensei of sorts... and after being VERY standoffish and untrusting to those who become her friends, she later becomes playful and protective of them. But to the rest of the world, she's an ice cold killing machine...

The two sides of her, the all business vs. sexy lover make her one of the more attractive characters in Manga. (more than in Anime, due to a really quality anime of Appleseed having never been accomplished) I loved her character from the start and even these many years later, find her attractive. More for her dedication and continuing care for those she loves than her hard public face...
Mughi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 21:36   Link #80
DanielSong39

Sometimes I wonder Maika (Magikano) qualifies as a deretsun...

Seems sweet and nice all the time, but goes ballistic once in a while...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tsundere