AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2012-12-18, 19:00   Link #61
GDB

Only one of those that was truly "the character died and was revived" was Gaara. The rest was standard fake-out death. Neji's curse faded, so he's definitely dead.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:05   Link #62
bonsobon

I'm suprised that Neji's death is being treated relatively lightly by some. After all I still remember all the discussion on these forums about how some characters were supposed to be untouchable and plot protected. That no matter what happened in this war or who died they would be safe, no matter what. Neji was supposed to be one of those characters. Now we see that isn't the case and yet it's being brushed off as not really important.
bonsobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:13   Link #63
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
I'm suprised that Neji's death is being treated relatively lightly by some. ...
Let's just say he is temporarily sleeping We are at a stage where godlike powers are involved, which means anything can happen, and anything that happened can be undone.

Also as a side note: when Neji died his cursed seal disappeared, which means when he's revived he will be free. Naruto promised to free him, and of course the main character will keep his promise
Ero-Senn1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:21   Link #64
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Hopefully, this will be Kishimoto making up for the Should-have-died characters from the Rescue Sasuke Arc: Your next Chouji, and watch out Kiba...
A couple of death might stick, more than that and it's not likely to stay that way. I want to be hopeful but the fact that one of Naruto's friend died a few pages after we were reminded of Rinne Tensei doesn't sound so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Also, gee. People are revived from the dead by a villain once and people expect things to turn out exactly the same way every single time.
Which is why it's something that should never be done. Death deals in absolute, you cheapen that but once and it never completely recovers.
Maybe all those dead will stay dead but then again maybe not. They're after all but a jutsu away from being just fine.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:22   Link #65
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Isn't that Sasuke's hawk in the last page?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:23   Link #66
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
A couple of death might stick, more than that and it's not likely to stay that way. I want to be hopeful but the fact that one of Naruto's friend died a few page after we were reminded of Rinne Tensei doesn't sound so good.
Damn you for ruining my optimism over death. All I have left is that hope...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:43   Link #67
Midnight Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsobon View Post
I'm suprised that Neji's death is being treated relatively lightly by some. After all I still remember all the discussion on these forums about how some characters were supposed to be untouchable and plot protected. That no matter what happened in this war or who died they would be safe, no matter what. Neji was supposed to be one of those characters. Now we see that isn't the case and yet it's being brushed off as not really important.
And yet, in the rare event they are actually right, they will go out of their way to link the post they originally made to showcase their prediction to everyone. Go figure : /

Many members here hate admitting they're wrong, so I wouldn't expect much else. For whatever reason the members here love to rant and rave about predicted plot developments that haven't even happened yet, and of course the all too familiar "plot-holes" that do not actually exist; I'm sure we've all heard more than our fair share of those around here.

There are many things about this manga that are predictable, but some people just take things a bit to far. It seems we have a sort of "psuedo-literary expert" culture here, who enjoy over-critiquing the author and this story, and often acting act as though they can easily predict each and every development before it happens. Also, nothing ever satisfies them: First we get complaints about no named characters dying. Then, when we actually get not one but two named characters who die (and two weeks in a row), we're now reading complaints about them going to be ressurected : /

They probably view themselves as seeming incredibly insightful and intelligent, yet in reality, they often come off as pretentious, and at times even obnoxious, since interestingly enough, most of their elaborate "predictions" are completely wrong --and of course, when this occurs, they will bash/ "critique" the author, or simply pretend they never said anything.

Anyway, in regards to the chapter, I didn't expect to see Neji at all let alone what he did for Naruto. It was an epic line, though to me, his death scene did not do him justice, nor did his brief battle. I feel Neji could have saved Hinata and/or Naruto from a more powerful attack than wooden spears.
Midnight Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 19:50   Link #68
Ero-Senn1n

I wonder why are some people so obsessed with death. Maybe if the whole cast died it would satisfy them

Actually i would like the whole alliance to die here, one by one, but that can only happen if they are revived or if it turns out that we are already inside infinite tsukiyomi. Using the mass revival trick the author is free to do many thing that otherwise would not be possible. Knowing that they won't stay dead does not ruin it for me, because what matters to me is the interaction between the characters and how they change, how they behave when placed in extreme conditions.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:01   Link #69
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Commando View Post
*snip*
For all your complaining about people complaining, you sure did a nice job complaining yourself with that essay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
I wonder why are some people so obsessed with death. Maybe if the whole cast died it would satisfy them
Because they're supposed to be in a life or death occupation. Not only that, but now they're in a war where supposedly 40k or so people died. Yet none were people that mattered to the reader. War is hell, and this is the first time it's really felt even remotely close to that.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:12   Link #70
Luminion Lancer
Time-diver

Oh wow, another chapter and another bit of death added to the mix. This time it is actually one of Naruto's earliest conversions to Naruto-ism: Neji. This WOULD have more impact on us had we not just learned Obito has the Rinne Tensei. Had we not known this is still out there, I'd probably be in tears at this point.

Still, as a death scene this is pretty damn nice. It cements that Neji is eternally grateful to Naruto and what he taught him.

Now, hopefully the Jubi won't look so deformed in the next transformation.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:17   Link #71
That Other Ninja
That Other Senior Member
*Artist

My man Neji kicked the bucket? Respect.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:23   Link #72
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because they're supposed to be in a life or death occupation. Not only that, but now they're in a war where supposedly 40k or so people died. Yet none were people that mattered to the reader. War is hell, and this is the first time it's really felt even remotely close to that.
Sure i also complained about nobody dying, but i realized that the author wanted to leave such sort of tragedy for later. Every death has to have a purpose, to advance the plot. In real life death is usually random, especially in wars, but in such stories it's the opposite. I think Kishimoto saved them for the finale of the war, so their death can have a purpose and a connection to other characters, most importantly to the main character. It could be that for example we don't see Neji and Hinata just tells Naruto that he died of a random hit in the war, but that would be meaningles and boring.

One can also come up with some simple logical explanations why nobody died. The named cast is the elite, the elite doesn't die as easily as the fodder ninja, simply because they are so strong and smart. Naruto came to save them and so he did since he is the main character who's supposed to do that.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:29   Link #73
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
IMO, Neji should’ve been dead after he fought Kidomaru(?) from Sound Four. That would be a lot more epic death than what we have here. With that, he can be the Heath Ledger or James Dean of Naruto-verse (talented individuals who kicked the bucket too early). Compared to that, his death in this chap feels redundant.
Yup, both Neji and Chouji should have kicked the bucket in those Sound Four chapters.. Would have been better story telling and given both characters a fitting place in Naruto lore.

As such we're left with a cliche jump in the path of a bullet moment. Ahh such a shame.

Even more so now our favourite cross dressing Nejiko-chan is out of the picture..
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Kenu; 2012-12-18 at 21:15.
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 20:34   Link #74
kiki san

it's time for naruto to enter rage mode.
kiki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 20:38   Link #75
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I believe Neji is the first victim...

the next one will be between Sai, Rocklee, or Tenten...

now, I hope Naruto's kyuubi power has come back... why should he waste his chakra for doing sage mode?

that's why we said from earlier, defeating jyuubi will be easier by only using Hachibi and Kyuubi... not thousands easy-target shinobis
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-18, 20:47   Link #76
GDB

Sage mode doesn't use any of Naruto's actual chakra, I don't think. That said, I hope they don't focus solely on Neji's team for sacrifices. Spread the wealth, as it were.
Old 2012-12-18, 20:51   Link #77
Ero-Senn1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenu View Post
Yup, both Neji and Chouji should have kicked the bucket in those Sound Four chapters.. Would have been better story telling and given both characters a fitting place in Naruto lore.

As such we're left with a cliche jump in the path of a bullet moment. Ahh such a shame.
Lee should have stayed a cripple who can never be a ninja any more. And Gai sensei seeing how his stupid teachings have led to this should become an alcoholic. So you should replace your avatar with a wheelchair-Lee avatar
Old 2012-12-18, 20:56   Link #78
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
Also as a side note: when Neji died his cursed seal disappeared, which means when he's revived he will be free. Naruto promised to free him, and of course the main character will keep his promise
Not only is he going to come back seal-free but he's also going to become head of the Hyuuga, thus allowing him to change the Hyuuga like he'd always wanted. Since Naruto will be sort-of kind-of indirectly responsible for this, he kept his promise again!
Old 2012-12-18, 21:55   Link #79
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
Not only is he going to come back seal-free but he's also going to become head of the Hyuuga, thus allowing him to change the Hyuuga like he'd always wanted. Since Naruto will be sort-of kind-of indirectly responsible for this, he kept his promise again!
Better yet: Naruto marries Hinata -> Naruto becomes the head of Hyuuga clan (while also becomes Hokage) -> Naruto changes the way of the clan -> Naruto keeps his promise to Neji (whether he's alive or not at the end).
Old 2012-12-18, 21:57   Link #80
AnimeFangirl

If only Neji dies from here on out = Neji stays dead
If even one more 'important' character gets killed = Everybody comes back to life.