AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kami nomi/TWGOK

Notices

View Poll Results: Kami nomi/TWGOK - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 49.32%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 20.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 20.55%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 6.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-01, 19:49   Link #21
Texas84
よろしく

Brilliant episode. Seemed to last 5 minutes. The 'black boat' history lesson was hilarious.

Seemed to be a lot more detail in this one. Loved the dust floating in the light. I'm sure that has been done but it was the first time I've seen it.

And I just want to hug Shiori (non-manga reader). She is absolutely adorable.
Old 2010-12-01, 19:55   Link #22
Clarste
Human

No complaints about this adaptation, but I always imagined Shiori thinking really fast. So instead of standing there for 5 minutes while she slowly narrates, she was hyperactive in her head while quiet for a minute or so. They don't even need to add stuff to pad this arc out: they're already turning single panels of rapid thoughts into long monologues.
Old 2010-12-01, 21:39   Link #23
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Shiori is my favorite girl from the manga, so this episode turned out to be such a pleasure to watch. The way the adaptation handled her shyness and love for books was truly on the mark, and i must give credit to HanaKana. Sure i don't always like her works, though she was spot on here.

Totally loved the scene where she was expressing her love for books. Sure it went on for quite a while, though that's totally her character. It's the same with the scene where she wanted to thank Keima.

Finally the adaptation reaches the stand out moment of Elsie's character. Her total fascination for fire trucks. There truly is no end to how adorable she's come across as being when talking about the subject. The fact that her love for them begins from scratch is just awesome . Plus it's only the beginning.

This weeks funniest moment, had to be Keima's reaction regarding that he wouldn't be able to read a girl's inner thoughts in real life. Genius.

Also Ai Nonaka. That was a 100% lovely surprise. <3
Pretty much in full agreement here.

Let's get married~

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-12-01, 23:04   Link #24
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Gah...

Wow! Just Wow!

I wasn't effected much by Shiori in the manga, but wow. This episode just hit me in all the right spots.

I've always had a thing for willful stubborn intelligent girls who are also shy and timid. And like all anime girls that manage to crack past my "it's just a cartoon" armor, Shiori reminds me very strongly of a girl I dated and loved, and still have fond memories of.

Plus, I love books. I love the way they feel. I love libraries and bookstores. I feel safe, and in my place when I enter. I hate seeing any book, any book on any subject being tossed away. When Shiori was going on about how "books are life" all I could think was:

Preach it sister!

I mean... I did get suspended multiple times from school for reading too much. I cut class to go to the library. That time when I was a little kid and I ran away from home my parents found me easily- they just went to the nearest bookstore. I'm not as focused on reading as I once was, but boy it brings back good memories.

And her comment about being safe in her castle... gah... it just made me want to storm her castle and whisk her away on an intellectual romance, discussing all the things she's reading, and all the things I'm reading. That's the kind of romance you get with a girl like her.

Being awkward and over-thinking everything you say, that was so me in highschool. Even today I can start over thinking and planning out conversations (which then never go the way I plan).

And then to top it off, at the end the book in her hand? Principles of Economics! Economics baby! (I am an Economics major, and love economics). Dah!!! Why is my dream girl an animated character?

Sigh... well, at least I know there is a real life version out there. Maybe I should give her a call, get together for New Years or something.

As for pacing, they are actually going faster then with Kanon. They got through 1.5 chapters, so I'm not certain they intend a 3 episode arc. Maybe 2.5?

Oh... And at the start of the episode I was so happy to see the most important character finally appear: Fire Engines!

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2010-12-01, 23:40   Link #25
Sprite_Coke

Send a message via AIM to Sprite_Coke
First half too slow for my taste. Second half was great.
Spoiler for far foreshadowing in preview lines:
Old 2010-12-01, 23:45   Link #26
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
The character she played was annoying. Mostly because of those overly long speeches she makes inside her head... Books are ** Books are ** Books are ** Books are ** Books are ** Books are ** etc.
Really? Personally I found it to be one of the single most emotionally emotive moments in anime that I watched in the whole year. It hit me in so many levels
Old 2010-12-02, 00:50   Link #27
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Really? Personally I found it to be one of the single most emotionally emotive moments in anime that I watched in the whole year. It hit me in so many levels
Σ(゚Д゚; ) Eh?!
Emotionally emotive moment was probably the last thing in my mind during that scene...
(´・ω・`) Guess every arrow she shot missed me there...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-12-02, 01:00   Link #28
Sigsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post

Actually manga readers could have just as much reason to complain.
probably, but most of them are Shiori's fans so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
Nope. I didn't think it was boring at all. It was definitely a better episode than any of the ones with that idol girl. I'm very interested in seeing how Keima solves this puzzle.

Kanon was draggy, but it wasn't so bad with well-placed music. Shiori so far is just.. very slow paced. Kinda misplaced for an anime like this. Besides, i too, always imagined her to think really fast, instead of 5 min+ of thinking
Old 2010-12-02, 01:36   Link #29
fukarming

In the first half of the episode, I am thinking if Shiori's monologue is being excessive. But then the director, thru the conversation between Keima and Elsie, tell us that "Bookish girl thinks twice as much inside their head", and "you cannot read thoughts in real life" which basically answer my question. Her monologue is excessive on purpose to emphasis her character and also make us realize that we are watching anime (that's why we can hear her inner thoughts). I am not sure if the mass audience will like it, but I like the director's intent and execution.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
Old 2010-12-02, 01:38   Link #30
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Thankonomics!

Shiori was really cute, though I know she'd just annoy the hell out of me due to her shyness in real life XD
Old 2010-12-02, 01:51   Link #31
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

You guys are thinking she's fast paced because you're reading the damn manga that fast.

It makes perfect sense for a shy girl who has trouble talking / being social to take her time with what she wants to say. I like this 'real time' deal better anyway.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2010-12-02, 02:22   Link #32
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
You guys are thinking she's fast paced because you're reading the damn manga that fast.

It makes perfect sense for a shy girl who has trouble talking / being social to take her time with what she wants to say. I like this 'real time' deal better anyway.
It's not just that, in the manga the way it's presented is showing her surrounded by thought balloons on all sides, like in the anime when she was first introduced surrounded by "...". These long monologues literally happen in a single panel.
Old 2010-12-02, 03:19   Link #33
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Plus, I love books. I love the way they feel. I love libraries and bookstores. I feel safe, and in my place when I enter. I hate seeing any book, any book on any subject being tossed away.
Well excuuuuuuuse us for wanting to weed out damaged and outdated books. Maybe if you can give or find us several truckloads of cash we can pay for the storage space and maintenance of the older monographs.

But kidding aside, I'm glad to finally see this arc animated. Shiori's one of my favorites (obviously). Definitely enjoyed the episode, though, like a few other posters, I was expecting more of her inner thoughts to go slightly faster than it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi
Eh, for me, it was more of imagining Shiori talking faster because she's so excitedly passionate about books rather than my reading speed. If it was because of my reading speed, the dialogue of every character in every work I've ever read would sound like Blurr from Transformers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig
Though I don't see how else should a librarian be portrayed...
Well, I could give you a couple of personality types from the libraries I've worked and volunteered at. . .
Old 2010-12-02, 04:39   Link #34
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

ROFLMAO! This was just perfection! I couldn't have imagined the adaptation better than this! I love what goes through Elsea's head as she recalls her last Japanese history lesson! Commodore Perry! Black Ships! The Red Fire Engine!

Shiori is lovely. I really do want her to have...well, I can't say it here on this thread.

And I love Hayato Matsuo's score!

In addition I really continue to dig the cast! Kana Hanazawa is as always attractive. Ai Nonaka's appearance was also very nice.

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2010-12-02 at 04:55.
Old 2010-12-02, 05:56   Link #35
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I demand that you perverts stay away from Shiori.

She's mine! Go after Kanon or Elsie!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-12-02, 06:48   Link #36
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

You're after quite a number...

*quietly slips Kirino with him under the cover of night*

(not like Edward Cullen creepy waiting on the windowsill, though.)

Shiori I'd like as a little sister actually, not so much an actual girlfriend XD
Old 2010-12-02, 08:20   Link #37
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Wow, great episode. The fire truck thing was so random. Elsie is great, oh man, haha. Nearly 500 books!? Damn... talk about unrealistic, it'd take days to gather that many. I think 100 would have worked just as well, but then again, many things have been over the top, so yeah.

And I liked Shiori's voice. I thought it suited her quite well.

And she really needs a psychiatrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post

Yes, but no one thinks that slowly. I don't think it should happen in a flash, but I do think they dragged it out a little too long.
Old 2010-12-02, 09:13   Link #38
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Heh. One of the things that I loved about this arc was that her internal monologues ran in real time with the rest of the world, rather than having characters do their monologues like a soliloquy in other shows, so you could see how her indecisiveness and shyness made an impact on how she got along with people actively. It made it into the anime almost perfectly.

And goddammit Shiori's heartwarming and adorableness index were through the freaking roof during the last five minutes. I still think it's because I have a thing for quiet and intelligent girls with a passion for reading, learning and generally those who like to expand their horizons. It was greatly accentuated by the soft piano piece in the back. Great job from Hanazawa Kana, even though she wasn't my first choice for this role.

Elsee wouldn't be Elsee without firetrucks. Definitely the strongest arc opener for the series so far.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2010-12-02 at 09:20. Reason: Lolswitched her name around
Old 2010-12-02, 10:52   Link #39
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Perfect 10 for Discovery of Firetrucks, Thought Bubbles and Cute Librarian!!!

Somehow I found Shiori more interesting than Kanon... is it just my aversion to idol characters?
Old 2010-12-02, 10:57   Link #40
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
As for pacing, they are actually going faster then with Kanon. They got through 1.5 chapters, so I'm not certain they intend a 3 episode arc. Maybe 2.5?
They intended to make it 3 episodes.

The episode is really fun and I didn't find it drag when she's having a monologue. It helps to understand her more plus the bgm helps to sooth your mind too and isten to her heart felt feelings about books.

She is really adorable and cute and I love the scene most when she almost fall and Kami is just standing there and catch the book. That scene, that face of shiori, that reaction.

WHAT CAN I SAY >< it's PRICELESS!!!!!!

Elsie finding and searching through the library is also cute. Or should I say every angle of her or scene of her is = to cute.