AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2012-01-30, 21:19   Link #41
Vena
Carpe Diem

I love to cook, its like research and chemistry but on a very short, quickly pleasing timeline. I cook frequently for my friends at school, giving them cheap meals while giving me the satisfaction of having succeeded. (It saves us all a bunch of money too, as buying a bunch of meat on sale and cooking it in bulk for five people will drop prices to about a dollar ~ two per person.)

I make up recipes on the spot and from the various things I have laying around, so here's where I stand as of two days ago with two new recipes that I will soon forget. (I made the second by changing up the first a bit.)

Onion Glazed Chicken
Hardware:
Large Pot (think spaghetti sized large)
Stirring tool
Mortar and Pestel

Ingredients:
Flour
4~5 Tablespoons of Butter
2 Large onions ~ chopped
4 Crushed/Mortared Garlic Cloves
2 Pinches of Salt
10 oz Chardonnay
10 oz Apple Cider
10 oz Beef Consommé
Chick Breasts (or Thighs) ~ I had around three pounds of chicken breasts

Cooking:
Mid-High to High Heat, depending on your oven, melt three tablespoons of butter in your pot.
Flour the chicken breasts, both sides, then quickly pan fry them (about five minutes a side, just enough to turn them golden brown). (Do this all in the pot to save yourself cleaning time.)
When the chicken is ready, remove it and put it aside.
Drop in your remaining two tablespoons of butter. Wait until its melted, then dump in your onions, garlic, and toss in some salt (the two pinches).
Wait until the onions have begun to blacken/caramelize/sauté.
Pour in the 10 oz of Chardonnay, return to boil and stir until you've reached a syrupy consistency.
Pour in the beef consommé, return to a boil.
Pour in the Apple Cider, return to boil.
Wait a couple of minutes.
Turn down the heat and let this concoction simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add chicken breasts and return to a simmer.
Wait 15-30 minutes, or until the sauce has begun to turn into a syrup once again, by this point some of the onions will have annealed to the chicken and you have a full broth of delicious onion sweetness.
Turn off heat.
Profit.

Hickory Chicken in a Sweet Sauce
Hardware:
Large Pot (think spaghetti sized large)
Stirring tool
Mortar and Pestel

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons of Butter
Hickory Sauce
10 oz Chardonnay
10 oz Apple Cider
Chick Breasts (or Thighs) ~ The other two pounds of a five pound package

Cooking:
Marinate your chicken in a hickory sauce (just enough to cover the chicken without drowning it).
Wait a day.
In your pot, bring the added combination of butter, Chardonnay, and Apple Cider to a boil.
Add chicken and any left over hickory sauce that hasn't been absorbed (make sure not too add to much or the Hickory will wipe out all other flavor).
Lower the heat to a simmering point.
Let simmer for about ten minutes a side, or until the sauce has started to become a syrup.
Check that your chicken has cooked fully though.
Profit.
Old 2012-01-31, 00:40   Link #42
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^Both of those sound goooooooood.
Old 2012-01-31, 05:38   Link #43
warita
Dai-Youkai

@VENA, damn that sounds good. I especially like the sound of the first one!!!

I wonder if it is possible to buy apple cider in austria. I have never seen it here.... but thats maybe because i didnt look for it.
warita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-01, 22:55   Link #44
Vena
Carpe Diem

This was sort of good but it wasn't quite right.

Honey Baked Potatoes
Hardware:
Big thing in which to hold and bake many potatoes.

Ingredients: (Sizes vary depending on size of above cookware, read on)
Potatoes
Honey
Apple Cider
Cabernet Shiraz
Salt
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Cooking:
Cut each potato into four, and cut enough to have the segments snuggly cover the base of your pot/pan/thing.
Just barely cover the top of the potatoes with oil, not too much or you'll be eating grease.
Add Apple Cider and Shiraz at a 1:2 ratio, should be enough to not completely cover the potatoes but to surround them.
Let this bake at 300~400 degrees (depending on oven, either is fine though and its just less time in the higher temps).
Cook until potatoes start to get soft.
At this point, your sauce should have decreased (absorbed and evaporated) but still have a bit left at the base of the pot/pan/thing.
Add honey to the tops of the potatoes, return to oven and set heat to broil.
When the honey starts to blacken, flip the potatoes and add a bit more honey to the bear side.
Cook until honey blackens.
Turn off heat.
Profit.

The goal had been an all around sweet meal with a taste of delicious baked potato, unfortunately in my attempt the Cider and Wine were undetectable the further you went into the slices of potato and but the skin (honey and all) was delicious. In a way it worked out, in a way not quite. Would have probably worked better if I had let the potatoes sit in the sauce for a couple of hours before cooking.
Old 2012-02-07, 20:00   Link #45
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I made homemade meatballs a couple of days ago. It was my first time making homemade Italian meatballs. They came out pretty good. Next time, I hope to improve them. The only change I want to make is to make them a bit salty (I added salt, but the saltiness didn't really reveal itself in the end result). Also, I'll add more red pepper flakes. I added a tiny bit, but I couldn't detect heat from them at all. I'll add a little bit more next time. Perhaps I'll add a little bit extra garlic, too. Just fine tuning. I don't want to over-season them.

The meatballs consisted of:

ground beef (I used 85% lean ground beef)
ground pork
1 large white onion, diced and sauteed with salt until soft, but not brown
some fresh parsley, finely chopped
a good amount of plain breadcrumbs
a good amount of parmasan cheese
fresh garlic, 2 cloves
ground black pepper
ground, coarse salt
3 eggs
water
a tiny amount of spicy red pepper flakes

I think that was everything. The meatballs tasted pretty good, were very moist, and had a good consistency.
Old 2012-02-11, 03:55   Link #46
Shinji01

Soooo, tomorrow my mom is bringing her boyfriend over to have dinner with us.
I will be cooking for them, and my Aunt and Uncle.

My menu looks like this....

Tomato, Mozzarella salad
black olive, shimeji, and cheese on crackers.
Shiitake stuffed with squids
oysters
Sashimi
Jeon (korean pancakes)
rice noodles
Prosciutto sushi

So, a hint of Italian, Korean, Filipino and Japanese all in one sitting. LOL

Now contemplating adding another vegetable dish though...
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-11, 07:42   Link #47
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji01 View Post
Soooo, tomorrow my mom is bringing her boyfriend over to have dinner with us.
I will be cooking for them, and my Aunt and Uncle.

My menu looks like this....

Tomato, Mozzarella salad
black olive, shimeji, and cheese on crackers.
Shiitake stuffed with squids
oysters
Sashimi
Jeon (korean pancakes)
rice noodles
Prosciutto sushi

So, a hint of Italian, Korean, Filipino and Japanese all in one sitting. LOL

Now contemplating adding another vegetable dish though...
Oh wow..... please make photos and add recipes!!!
Old 2012-02-11, 14:15   Link #48
Frijolitos

A pot of Frijolitos is all I need. Being a bachelor has its perks. Add me some fresh made salsa and tortillas and I am set. Some of the recipes look very good, btw.
Frijolitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-12, 22:20   Link #49
Ledgem
Love Yourself

For my standard meals, because I don't have a lot of time or a very large budget, I make all of my stuff in a slow cooker. You can basically just throw everything into there (even uncut meat), and it makes everything soft enough that as you stir it around, it'll break up. It doesn't become mush, although if you leave certain things in for long enough, they get pretty close. Another benefit is that you can buy the cheapest, crappiest cuts of beef, and they still come out incredibly soft and tender. The only drawback is that cook time will be at least six hours, so some advance planning is necessary. But prep time and everything else is so brief, it's well worth it. Add Japanese curry mix or a "cream of"-type soup to prevent it from becoming a stew, and you're good to go.

As for recipes, here's one from my wife. It's one of my favorite desserts, and a fresh (better IMO) take on pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Crunch

Pumpkin Crunch by Velocity of Sound, on Flickr

Ingredients
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
1 cup nuts, chopped (note: we used walnuts)
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting (note: we used just plain Cool Whip for frosting instead)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350˚F (note: if you're using a dark pan, as opposed to a glass one, try using 325˚F instead). Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and cinnamon; mix well. Pour into 13x9x2-inch pan lined with waxed paper. Sprinkle with cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture, then sprinkle with chopped nuts and press them lightly into the mixture. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool, then turn out on a rack and frost. Makes 16 servings.

Prep time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Cream cheese frosting prep: (optional; you can go with a frosting of your choice if you like. The frosting pictured above is plain, unmodified Cool Whip)
Blend together 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar. Fold in 8 oz. thawed frozen whipped topping.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:55   Link #50
Shinji01

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
Oh wow..... please make photos and add recipes!!!
Well, the dinner went great, but I made way too much food.
Absolutely no time for photos though...
The cooking totally exhausted me and I was passed out on my couch by eleven thirty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
For my standard meals, because I don't have a lot of time or a very large budget, I make all of my stuff in a slow cooker. You can basically just throw everything into there (even uncut meat), and it makes everything soft enough that as you stir it around, it'll break up. It doesn't become mush, although if you leave certain things in for long enough, they get pretty close. Another benefit is that you can buy the cheapest, crappiest cuts of beef, and they still come out incredibly soft and tender. The only drawback is that cook time will be at least six hours, so some advance planning is necessary. But prep time and everything else is so brief, it's well worth it. Add Japanese curry mix or a "cream of"-type soup to prevent it from becoming a stew, and you're good to go.
Pressure cookers are something I want to invest in soon.
I love brown rice and apparently brown rice tastes best either cooked by pressure cookers or 30,000 yen rice cookers.
Obviously my budget says, go for a pressure cooker.
Shinji01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 15:34   Link #51
Frijolitos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post

As for recipes, here's one from my wife. It's one of my favorite desserts, and a fresh (better IMO) take on pumpkin pie.

Pumpkin Crunch

Pumpkin Crunch by Velocity of Sound, on Flickr

Ingredients
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
1 cup nuts, chopped (note: we used walnuts)
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting (note: we used just plain Cool Whip for frosting instead)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350˚F (note: if you're using a dark pan, as opposed to a glass one, try using 325˚F instead). Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and cinnamon; mix well. Pour into 13x9x2-inch pan lined with waxed paper. Sprinkle with cake mix evenly over pumpkin mixture, then sprinkle with chopped nuts and press them lightly into the mixture. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool, then turn out on a rack and frost. Makes 16 servings.

Prep time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Cream cheese frosting prep: (optional; you can go with a frosting of your choice if you like. The frosting pictured above is plain, unmodified Cool Whip)
Blend together 8 oz. cream cheese and 1 cup powdered sugar. Fold in 8 oz. thawed frozen whipped topping.
Wow! Your recipe looks absolutely delicious. Kudos to your wife for such a dessert. I am going to copy this one and ask my girlfriend to make it for me so we can whisper sweet nothings to each other over coffee and this dessert, late into the night, for Valentine's Day. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Frijolitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 07:03   Link #52
Kafriel
Senior Guest

How to bake: applie pie

Ingredients:
enough butter to coat a baking pan
four eggs
cinnamon
optionally, crushed nuts
a glass of self-raising flour or baking powder (the ratio is one to one and a half teaspoons of baking powder and a pinch to one half teaspoon of salt to a cup (125 g) of flour to turn flour into self-raising flour).
a glass of sugar
apples, duh! You can use red or green apples, the result is just as good.

Start off with the dough - crack the eggs, add the flour and sugar and start beating the mix, either manually or with the appropriate tool. It should be fluid, beige and ready to bake!

Get your pan ready and covered in butter, then peel the apples and slice them up. Decorate your pan with the slices and sprinkle the sugar, cinnamon and nuts before pouring the sponge cake wannabe. Bake in the oven for ~40 minutes and it's ready to serve!

Note: if you're using nuts, their weight will pull the apples to the base of the pie, so it's not really a proper "pie", but it still tastes damn good
Spoiler for img:

Last edited by Kafriel; 2012-02-22 at 07:34.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-22, 07:11   Link #53
warita
Dai-Youkai

Say Kafriel.... baking poweder makes any appearance in this recipe? Because without it, I am afraid it will be a cinnamon cented cement block....

In other words, how do you get the fluffy texture?
Old 2012-02-22, 07:28   Link #54
Kafriel
Senior Guest

There are many kinds of flour, I use the self-raising type :P The distinction has been noted.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 13:26   Link #55
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's some good, weird and strange recipes.

First the good.
Cook Your Pasta in Milk for Super-Creamy Mac and Cheese

Then the weird. Warning you might find this either delicious, disgusting or...confused.
Spoiler for The werid:

And now the strange. Courtesy of Jimmy Kimmel.
Spoiler for How to cook the Ultimate Burger:
Old 2012-03-08, 04:06   Link #56
SRanger
Remember, no moe.

That Mcdonalds rice is absolutely disgusting.
SRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-08, 16:27   Link #57
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I'd actually like to try that McDonald's rice thing if I had a rice cooker. I'd get the Big Mac without lettuce because it'd become wilted from the steam, and without the cheese (fast food American cheese is gross). Instead of BBQ sauce, I'd opt for sweet and sour sauce. I think it'd go better with all that. I don't think I'd add coke, even if he added just a little bit. But I'd try it, because it might be interesting. I've eaten experimental foods before.

I have two ideas for some vegetarian dishes to try soon. One is a salad with dark greens and fresh beets (boiled to soften them up, and then brought down to room temperature for the salad). The dark greens and beets with a homemade dressing consisting of oil, vinegar, and orange juice and perhaps a little bit of an herb or two, and pecans. Or an alternative idea to preparing it is the dark greens, beets, candied pecans, and an unsweetened vinegarette. Buy some yogurt and granola to be dessert for after the salad.

The other idea I have for a vegetarian dish I saw on TV yesterday. A woman made a vegetable curry. She softened white onion in garlic oil and added about six dry spices (from what I remember, there was chili flakes or chili powder, coriander, cumin, and turmeric) and then she added vegetable stock and coconut milk, and then simmered it with fresh cauliflower, fresh broccoli, fresh greens beans, baby corn, fresh snow pea pods, a bit of sugar, dill, and another fresh herb. I think creating my own Indian style vegetable curry and serving it on white rice would be really good.
Old 2012-03-18, 22:09   Link #58
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

OK kids, gather around. It's time for Endless Soul's famous chicken enchiladas.

Step 1: The marinade.

Get some lime juice, some olive oil, ground marjoram, black pepper, and two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Now I'm making extra portions so I have a larger package of 6 chicken breasts. Not all of these will go into the enchilada mix.

Spoiler for Marinade ingredients:

Use about 1/2 bottle of the lime juice, 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of ground marjoram and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. The original recipe also called for 1 teaspoon of salt, but I deleted that.

Clean the chicken and place in the marinade. Be sure all the chicken is covered, and place in the refrigerator. Take it out once every few hours and turn the chicken around and stir the marinade.

Spoiler for Chicken in the marinade:

Step 2: Cooking the chicken.

After some time, usually a day, (I like to marinate it for two days) take the chicken out of the fridge and cook it. I pan fried them today, however, if you have access to a BBQ, I highly recommend that.

Spoiler for Cooking the chicken:

Step 3: The enchilada sauce.

Nothing fancy here, I used Lawry's Enchilada Sauce and a can of tomato paste. There are jars of ready-made enchilada sauce, but I like to feel that I at least some effort into the sauce.

Simply follow the directions (can of tomato paste, the sauce package, and three cups of water) and presto! Enchilada sauce.

Spoiler for Enchilada sauce:

Step 4: The Mix

Next, we start putting the mix together. I like to use bell peppers and onions in my enchiladas, but you can use whatever you like. First, in case you don't know, I'll show you a little trick regarding cutting open the bell pepper.

Spoiler for Bell Pepper: Do you expect me to talk? Endless Soul: No, Mr. Pepper, I expect you to DIE!:

Chop the bell pepper, the onion, and the cooked chicken breasts into little cubes and put in a large mixing bowl.

Next, get some cheese and sour cream. I like to have a cheese blend of Monterrey Jack and Medium Cheddar. See that square grater? That belonged to my grandmother before I was even born. I have it now and it's still awesome. If you can fine one, I highly recommend getting one. Cut the block of cheese into manageable blocks and grate it! Put the grated cheese with the previously chopped stuff in the mixing bowl. Also, if you want the cheese mix like I do grate some of the cheddar cheese and put it in with the mix. Lastly put about 1/3 cup of sour cream in the mix. Mix everything up.

Spoiler for The Mix:

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Gosh, Endless Soul, That's a lot of dairy products!" Yes, I know. HOWEVER, this mix wil be spread out into a lot of enchiladas, so relax, OK?

Step 5: The Enchiladas

Now that the mix is ready, it's time to to make the enchiladas. Get some corn tortillas (not flour) and heat a group of them in the microwave for about a minute at most. Heating the corn tortillas is important. If you don't heat them, they will not get soft and will break when you try to roll them.

Spoiler for Tortilla!:

Take a couple of spoonfuls of the mix and put in the center to the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up. The enchiladas will have a tendency to unroll, so put them in the pan in such a way that the previous enchilada will stop the unrolling.

Spoiler for Creating the enchiladas.:

Fill that pan up! Now would be a good time to warm the oven up to 400°F. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Spoiler for A lot of enchiladas!:

Remember the enchilada sauce from earlier? Go get it and spread out over the enchiladas.

Spoiler for Add the sauce:

Remember the rest of the cheddar cheese from earlier? Grate the rest of it and spread out over the enchiladas. Also, if you're so inclined, this would be the time to spread chopped black olives on top. however, my girls don't like black olives so I left these out.

Spoiler for It's cheesy!:

Put the pans in the oven. Normally, I would have just one pan and I would it in the middle. This time I had to use both trays. Also, normally I would set the timer for about 25 minutes. This time, since there were two pans, I added a few extra minutes.

Spoiler for Into the oven:

Ding!

Spoiler for Dinner is served:

Normally, I would have a salad or something along with the enchiladas, but we decided to forego that this time around (these are pretty filling) and have a beer instead. With all the extra enchiladas, I now have lunches I can take to work for a few days and not spend money going out for lunch. One last thing, this is not the way to make enchiladas, this is just A way to make enchiladas. Feel free to experiment, and enjoy!

Now that I've had dinner, I can finally go watch Episode 11 of Mouretsu Space Pirates

Endless "Yummy!" Soul
Old 2012-03-21, 22:18   Link #59
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Chicken Alfredo

Hungry? Need something quick? Tired of Macaroni & Cheese? Try this.

Step 1: Preparation.

I only had half a jar of Alfredo sauce to work with so I decided to supplement it with some heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and minced garlic. Remember the lime marinated chicken breasts I cooked the other day? I'm going to be using one of those chicken breasts in tonight's meal. Also, any pasta will do. Macaroni elbows, spaghetti, shells, whatever you're in the mood for.

Now, alfredo elitists will pretty much use heavy cream a parmesan cheese for their sauce only. Also, a fresh garlic clove is preferred, however, the theme of this post is "Working with What You Have."

Spoiler for The ingredients:

Step 2:Cooking the pasta.

Pretty straightforward. Boil some water. When the water is boiling, drop some pasta into it. Some people put salt in the water. I don't care for it. Also, general cooking time is about 7 - 10 minutes. I cook mine just a bit longer because I like my pasta a little on the soft side.

Spoiler for Pasta!:

Step 3:Making the sauce.

While the pasta was cooking, I put the chicken breasts in the microwave for about 3o second just to warm it up a bit. Then I chopped it up on a cutting board.

Spoiler for Chicken cubes:

I put the half jar of pre-made alfredo sauce, about a cup of heavy cream, and about a cup of parmesan cheese, and a spoonful of minced garlic in the a frying pan. Then I added the chopped chicken. Use low to medium heat. Remember, the chicken is already cooked.

Spoiler for Mixing the alfredo sauce:

Step 4: Can't think of a title

By now the pasta should be cooked. Get a strainer or colander ready in the sink. Be careful when pouring the hot water and pasta, if you're not careful, you could burn yourself. (That's my good deed safety tip for the day. )

When the hot water is drained away, put the pasta back in the pan.

Spoiler for Straining the pasta:

Step 5:Enjoy!

Scoop up some pasta. Put some sauce on top. Grab your favorite drink. Have a great dinner.

Spoiler for Dinner time!:

Oh, and the beer was pretty good too.

Endless "Alfredo elitist" Soul
Old 2012-03-21, 23:44   Link #60
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^ omnomnomnomnom! :Q