AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-06-18, 06:39   Link #9581
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
He's correct though, up until the last 5 chapters with the new arc; Medaka Box has been almost entirely in the bottom 5 (bottom 3, even) aside from the unranked colour chapters. It's been doing the worst it has since before the Minus Arc; and this was coming off an amazing run during the Treasure Hunt mini-arc chapters.

I am not especially concerned about rankings 'cause Kumagawa is easy popularity and clearly will have some involvement in the present storyline, but don't be surprised if the rankings drop for the next two months or so.
TBF the treasure hunt arc rankings were pretty mediocre. It was balloning like anything, it was either top of bottom 5 or in the middle. hell it even had a period where it was hovering around the bottom 5 for a few weeks but it didn't seem as bad because of colour pages.

Wow looking back Medaka box has always had shit rankings even during the "better periods".
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:42   Link #9582
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

It's true what Westlo says. Kuma is easily the most popular character and there is no reason for Nisio not to use him to climb the ranks. He probably felt that since the anime started there is less chance of the manga getting cut so he tried to bring Zen back since he technically is the male lead. He probably then realized that there is no point in fighting what the fans want and just brought Kuma back.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:44   Link #9583
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
It's true what Westlo says. Kuma is easily the most popular character and there is no reason for Nisio not to use him to climb the ranks. He probably felt that since the anime started there is less chance of the manga getting cut so he tried to bring Zen back since he technically is the male lead. He probably then realized that there is no point in fighting what the fans want and just brought Kuma back.
Kumagawa hasn't been the focus since ages, and even when he was in the aijimu arc the rankings were did crap. Basically Medaka box is doing completely fine without him.

Check the rankings if you don't believe me.

Really Medaka box is getting close to where it was in the height of teh treasure arc with Kumagawa barely featuring at all (even in the joker part of this manga he barely feature) if you put two and two together you realise something.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:48   Link #9584
Homura7

And besides, Nishio isn't a man to care for rankings, so...
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 06:51   Link #9585
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu-Shirudo View Post
And besides, Nishio isn't a man to care for rankings, so...
Of course he doesn't his manga consistently ranks shit even in (good) times. As long as isn't in danger of being cancelled he doesn't give a rats ass, why do people think he randomly cuts the hairs of popular characters that people in ways people generally don't like.
Old 2012-06-18, 07:29   Link #9586
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

This ain't Bakuman...not all authors aim to be number one in rankings (to beat their eternal rival!) xD
Most are just happy with staying serialized...
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 08:19   Link #9587
Sarun

@Kurusu, that person could be someone from here.

But now I'm interested in seeing Medaka Box rankings since its inception. I won't mind looking for myself as long as I need to decide on:

Is it 8 chapters or 9 chapters that I have to count back on?
Old 2012-06-18, 08:32   Link #9588
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarun View Post

But now I'm interested in seeing Medaka Box rankings since its inception. I won't mind looking for myself as long as I need to decide on:

8 chapters, though I'm not sure whether that method is to be trusted. For example, what happens with the last 8 chapters of a series?
Old 2012-06-18, 08:44   Link #9589
Sarun

I think last 8 chapters won't be counted since the chapter rankings are used to see performance of a chapter among the readers. If the series is ending, last 8 ranks would be mere statistics for them.
Old 2012-06-18, 09:01   Link #9590
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
I think last 8 chapters won't be counted since the chapter rankings are used to see performance of a chapter among the readers. If the series is ending, last 8 ranks would be mere statistics for them.
8 weeks is far too long and inefficient for that though, remember this is used to push popular series and give less attention to those doing crap (it's contents page not just a ranking). If a series is doing realy well for the past 6-7 weeks e.g a new arc but did shit for a few weeks procedding, those chapters won't be getting pushed which could make it less popular than it could of if it were pushed. Remember 8 weeks is almost a volume of chapters and a lot could happen in the popularity of a volume as volume sales show.

It would fine if this was simply a ranking but it's not so as it stands it's either horribly inaccurate for it's supposed to do or these likely more going on behind the scenes. Data collection and encouragement of products is typically far more on the pulse for these sorts of things with good reason. A typical magazine doesn't decide which content to publish depending on what was popular 8 weeks it may have a factor but ultimately it depends on whats popular now, with the week or at least month.
Old 2012-06-18, 10:17   Link #9591
Westlo
Lets be reality

Please guys, if you don't know how to work out Jump rankings by going back the right amount of weeks and not counting colors and new series, than please stop talking about them lol. Also if you don't know about the significance of the TOC than lol @ posts like the one above this. TOC matters for JUMP, much more than the other 2 big mags in Sunday and Magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
I don't really understand your point, the manga has always been in the bottom five even during Kumagawa's arcs, it simply moved up a bit near the end.
No matter how often you say this over the last few pages, it just simply isn't true.

Quote:
Plus the rankings have most been the top of bottom five or above it in this arc, it's ironically not doing even half as bad as your implying.
Look @ the rankings for the arc Zen was not even in, to say that he hasn't led this manga back to the bottom 5 is just damage control worthy of the Iraqi Foreign Minister.

Quote:
If you think it's doing badly check it's volume sales. Those pretty much tell you it's doing fine, it may not be outstanding but it's extremely far away from terrible.
That's nice, yet you ignore that I already mentioned how Bleach and Mago have had clear "meddling" from WSJ to speed things up due to long periods of low rankings.. and they are far more untouchable than Medaka Box. Also Shaman King, look it up.

Quote:
I just find it pretty hilarious, you want it to do terrible, but it really isn't, It's not amazing but it's no where near doing as bad as you want it to be. Also anime sales haven't been that bad do you even research these things before claiming fail, it's not doing amazing but it's far from a bomb.
You don't get it, I don't want it to do terrible, it is doing terrible. (and frankly thinking I want this to do terrible is pretty stupid considering it will never animate the best arc if it did) You say Anime sales haven't been that bad? And than tell me to do research? lmao. The anime hasn't even been released yet and you have the audacity to say it isn't doing that bad? Amazon pre order rankings which if you follow anime sales threads on AnimeOnDVD and/or this forum show that Medaka is going to be a massive flop. Bu-bu-bu-but how can this be, Zen is popular on some dumbass Naruto site!

Quote:
Edit: Just realised Westlo is completely full of crap the manga's actually doing great ranking wise in Zenkichi box and actually has moment, it's only at the top of the bottom 5 one week and now it's getting more regularily ranked in the middle. So fuck yeah Zenkichi box it's doing well. Aijimu's arc did badly because honestly it was pretty crap. Aside from the fanservice treasure arc, not much happened in second arc and the lack of straight battles clearly harmed it when it was trying to be more serious. I didn't really notice how well Zenkichi box was doing until now, thanks Westlo.
What are you talking about lol? You do realize the latest rankings you're championing are covering the Jokers section lol. Also it's not like it's doing that well (it's frankly shit compared to the Non-Equals mini arc) after Zen helped drive it into the ground during Ajimu's arc.

Spoiler for for space:

The Minus arc did a lot of work to get it out of the bottom 5 and the Non Equals part had it being a mid tier series on the verge of cracking the Top 5, this is frankly terrible and shows that Japan doesn't like the direction of the manga. Don't worry man you can still enjoy it, I'm sure Fullbringer Bleach had some fans too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnEmperor View Post
Stop acting like your dislikes correlate with the actual state of the manga. You're hardly making any sense at all. It just makes you look like a selfish fan. We all have our expectations and desires, but let's just let the author finish the story. Rather have a good story regardless of its rank, than something that just climbed rankings because of one popular character.
Me a selfish fan? LOL Nah man that would be something you would call a group of people who have been bitching for a couple years about the character they like getting the shaft. And than whining and crying asspull when the showstopper arrives to steal the scene.

Quote:
Ok, I just checked all the rankings since the later chapters of the Treasure Hunt arc, and, seriously Westlo? I'm disappoint.
Are you unable to comprehend the difference between the rankings of Medaka on this page

http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/?skip=40

compared to this page.

http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/

It's not that hard.

Quote:
There's a similar guy in narutoforums who's fucking biased and outraged with the fact Zen is leading this new adventure. Ask Sarun.
Wow! What a coincidence! I wonder if that site has rabid Zen fanboys like this site, that would also be a coincidence wouldn't it!

It's also hilarious how you want to point me out and that guy and than ignore the crap that came out of the Zen faction as soon as the pics for this latest chapter leaked.

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-06-18 at 10:47.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 11:08   Link #9592
DawnEmperor

I don't deny that Zenkichi fans can be guilty as well, but that doesn't automatically mean you're justified.

No, I've seen you bitching about how the "characters i dont like"=manga going downhill", and oh look, rankings just happen to prove my point.
DawnEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 11:23   Link #9593
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Please guys, if you don't know how to work out Jump rankings by going back the right amount of weeks and not counting colors and new series, than please stop talking about them lol. Also if you don't know about the significance of the TOC than lol @ posts like the one above this. TOC matters for JUMP, much more than the other 2 big mags in Sunday and Magazine.

No matter how often you say this over the last few pages, it just simply isn't true.

Look @ the rankings for the arc Zen was not even in, to say that he hasn't led this manga back to the bottom 5 is just damage control worthy of the Iraqi Foreign Minister.

That's nice, yet you ignore that I already mentioned how Bleach and Mago have had clear "meddling" from WSJ to speed things up due to long periods of low rankings.. and they are far more untouchable than Medaka Box. Also Shaman King, look it up.

You don't get it, I don't want it to do terrible, it is doing terrible. (and frankly thinking I want this to do terrible is pretty stupid considering it will never animate the best arc if it did) You say Anime sales haven't been that bad? And than tell me to do research? lmao. The anime hasn't even been released yet and you have the audacity to say it isn't doing that bad? Amazon pre order rankings which if you follow anime sales threads on AnimeOnDVD and/or this forum show that Medaka is going to be a massive flop. Bu-bu-bu-but how can this be, Zen is popular on some dumbass Naruto site!

What are you talking about lol? You do realize the latest rankings you're championing are covering the Jokers section lol. Also it's not like it's doing that well (it's frankly shit compared to the Non-Equals mini arc) after Zen helped drive it into the ground during Ajimu's arc.

Spoiler for for space:

The Minus arc did a lot of work to get it out of the bottom 5 and the Non Equals part had it being a mid tier series on the verge of cracking the Top 5, this is frankly terrible and shows that Japan doesn't like the direction of the manga. Don't worry man you can still enjoy it, I'm sure Fullbringer Bleach had some fans too.

Me a selfish fan? LOL Nah man that would be something you would call a group of people who have been bitching for a couple years about the character they like getting the shaft. And than whining and crying asspull when the showstopper arrives to steal the scene.

Are you unable to comprehend the difference between the rankings of Medaka on this page

http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/?skip=40

compared to this page.

http://weeklyjump.livejournal.com/

It's not that hard.

Wow! What a coincidence! I wonder if that site has rabid Zen fanboys like this site, that would also be a coincidence wouldn't it!

It's also hilarious how you want to point me out and that guy and than ignore the crap that came out of the Zen faction as soon as the pics for this latest chapter leaked.
Great research you did there, how about you look up magico sales for last volume and compare them to Medaka box. Medaka is an entire tier above Magico sales wise so your already contradicting yourself.

Shaman King went on for 300 chapters and got several spin offs, Medaka box is even half that age. Did you look at those ratings which were mediocre at best. Fucking Nisekoi has better average rank than Medaka box in comparison to that time, so yes even the treasure hunt arc was poorly rated in comparison to average mid rank Shouen jump title like most of Medaka box, it's doing better than most of Medaka box arcs but even this arc is approaching that level.

If the rank mattered so much it wouldn't have gotten an anime period. Especially a slice of life one when everyone knows the slice of life part of Medaka box wasn't popular.

It's doing fine, sales wise it bit lower than some of the other mid tier shouen jump titles but it's not far off, it's not Magico etc tier.

And if you guys even payed attention THERE WAS NO JOKER SECTION. that was like two chapters which according to 8 week rule wouldn't be included in the current ratings, either the end of Aijimu arc arc was fine as well as the begining of black wedding arc, (not including the two joker chapters), or the 8 rule doesn't completely apply. Either way your wrong.

Love how you use circluar arguements saying Medaka box is doing terrible without stating precisely why. Medaka box has ALWAYS been at or near the bottom 5 according to your reasoning it should have been cancelled long ago. Why hasn't it volume sales. Now lets look at those volume sales, oh wait they're fine. So what is your arguemnet again. That's right you don't have one.

We go through this shit every single time anyone with half a brain would have realised the correlation. Talk to me when Medaka box's volume sales are 50K or lower or better yet 80K or lower. Otherwise shut up with your garbage.

Last edited by Tenchi Hou Take; 2012-06-18 at 11:42.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:03   Link #9594
Naginoura
匂宮家

Quote:

A really bored man keeps this chart if you are interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jRsWHQyd0tPRXc

---

As for Medaka Box doing bad and Kumagawa being a savior?

Medaka Box has always done bad, especially during its early run. Kumagawa does have a positive effect on the rankings, but I don't think it's as substantial as Westlo is making out to be—though nowhere as little as what Tenchi claims.

Also, there is no way to say how Medaka Box anime is doing, because the first bluray will come out on July 25th and online buzz about anime isn't always in line with actual sales. However, I don't think the anime will sell well. I don't think Gainax is doing Medaka Box justice. (The only decision of theirs I could stand by was getting Paku Romi for Unzen, but any director/sound director in their right mind would get her. Let's not even get into changing the chapters, places, etc... To think I trusted Gainax... I miss Shinbou.)

In any case, Medaka Box is definitely safe for a while and there really is no reason to discuss if it's doing bad in the rankings or not. And there is especially no reason to get so riled up over it. Essentially, just like most of the arguments about the latest chapter, this seems to boil down to favorite character conflict. So it'd be best to drop any pretense and just go all out with Zenkichi vs. Kumagawa really.

Naginoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 12:08   Link #9595
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naginoura View Post
A really bored man keeps this chart if you are interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...jRsWHQyd0tPRXc

---

As for Medaka Box doing bad and Kumagawa being a savior?

Medaka Box has always done bad, especially during its early run. Kumagawa does have a positive effect on the rankings, but I don't think it's as substantial as Westlo is making out to be—though nowhere as little as what Tenchi claims.

Also, there is no way to say how Medaka Box anime is doing, because the first bluray will come out on July 25th and online buzz about anime isn't always in line with actual sales. However, I don't think the anime will sell well. I don't think Gainax is doing the series justice.

In any case, Medaka Box is definitely safe for a while and there really is no reason to discuss if it's doing bad in the rankings or not. And there is especially no reason to get so riled up over it. Essentially, just like most of the arguments about the latest chapter, this seems to boil down to favorite character conflict. So it'd be best to drop any pretense and just go all out with Zenkichi vs. Kumagawa really.
I'm not saying Kumagawa doesn't have an affect but by himsef he doesn't have an effect otherwise his chapters during the aijimu arc not in the treasure hunt arc would have been rated highly. Entertaining scenarios including him does well rank wise not simply his appearance doing shit. Also you can't attribute the current success of Medaka box to him he barely featured in those parts it was doing pretty well before he was introduced and the focus was far from on him.

That's all I'm saying. Though like you said that is all it really is about, I was simply trying to state to Westlo that the current situation is far from dire and that he just hates Zenkichi. He obviously refuses to belive this.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:10   Link #9596
Sarun

That chart is rather pretty convenient though I suspect that the ranking should start at Chapter 8 rather than Chapter 9.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:14   Link #9597
Naginoura
匂宮家

Quote:
That chart is rather pretty convenient though I suspect that the ranking should start at Chapter 8 rather than Chapter 9.
It's 8 chapters a....... I saw this explained so many times in a place, I feel like I have already explained dozens of times. Basically, the thing there is right. See here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...TOC-Talk/page1

Naginoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-18, 12:22   Link #9598
Tenchi Hou Take

Talking about the arc at hand, how do guys expect for it to evolve from here outside of the current fight.
Old 2012-06-18, 12:29   Link #9599
Sarun

It's not that relevant unless that could explain increased merchandise sales from fans who don't want buy manga or volumes. It could also say that there is a market for this series and it need to be marketed more. Perhaps, this series has a fanbase that is more into online reading.
Old 2012-06-18, 13:44   Link #9600
Homura7

Quote:
Talking about the arc at hand, how do guys expect for it to evolve from here outside of the current fight.
My guess is that is gonna shift from the standard 1 vs 1 to something bigger. Either everyone eventually gets defeated or there's some kind of interruption, because I can't see how are they gonna pull this.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council