AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-24, 14:29   Link #1641
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Those are all part time jobs... I'm like "mister small job freelancer" (which is actually making She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed nuts due to the unpredictability of income (some months very good, other months suck) - she, of course, has a completely predictable stable profession and income ... note the Konata&Kagami parallels), hence my current quest to either become certified as a teacher and/or get a "regular" job that suits my innate ADDness. I need to be doing lots of different things.
Old 2007-04-24, 15:06   Link #1642
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I'd probably post more often if my current circumstances didn't prevent me from watching this show for the next 3 weeks or so...
Mirrinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 16:17   Link #1643
Lucky_Day
Living Lucky Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
How in the world do you find time for everything? I'm barely able to keep up and I've only got school.

I had that same thought too, when I first read that. Or rather, they would be CLAMP if that were to happen. I honestly don't see that happening in the girls' future, but I still think it was a fun suggestion. XD
A book on writing that I still have says "write about what you know". A group of girls who get together and write a manga is what they know.

Although currently a thirty-something college student, I too know what it is like to have an unstable income.
Lucky_Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-24, 19:07   Link #1644
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
So Lucky Star is really "CLAMP—The Early Days"?
Everyone here is familiar enough with how CLAMP began their careers to get that joke.

Still, I can see it happening, given Kona's continuous manga Jones. And if you've ever read the afterwards to things like wish, you ca imagine that things get pretty weird in the household of the ladies from Osaka, so the three lucky Star girls as housemates and collaborators would be probably quite funny.

Especially the contrast to Kagami, who is so upright and determined to do the right, expected things. She probably doesn't realize that getting her wish for a normal life would leave her completely miserable.
Old 2007-04-25, 03:01   Link #1645
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hopcroft View Post
...Especially the contrast to Kagami.... She probably doesn't realize that getting her wish for a normal life would leave her completely miserable.
After all, she takes every opportunity to be with Konata. She seems normal, but she seeks the abnormal.

And anyone getting a show as hard to translate as this one out in 36 hours is a triumph.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 04:57   Link #1646
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The error was the grammatial construction using the possessive form of the word "dentist" (dentist's). First off, English is wierd and is full of odd exceptions -- that out of the way, the proper construction would have simply been (see 23:39 in the episode and the next minute or two):
"I'm pretty scared of the dentist myself." or "I'm pretty scared of the dentist's office myself" (the first being more conversational). a.f.k. appears to pride itself on localization rather than literalness (they usually provide implicit nouns that conversational japanese omits, for example).
There were several lines of dialog after that which also misused the possessive form.

There you have my grammar nazi presentation for the day (Some of my many jobs includes professional technical writing, part time translation proofing for japanese->english works, and grading student essays).

a.f.k. does stellar work so it just makes little errors stand out more
The episode finishes for me at 23:39, and I thought that was just a case of them leaving out place/surgery/office from your second example
arkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 20:40   Link #1647
Jiji
*Scanlator

speaking of a.f.k., ep 3 is now listed on Tosho. ^____^
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 20:44   Link #1648
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Once again, Anime News Network has posted their reviews of most of the new spring anime (Lucky Star included)....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2007-04-22
And once again ANN shows that it's pretty detrimental and contradictory staff-wise. The judgment of the first episode of Lucky Star seemed to be by someone who isn't at all in touch with the sense of Japanese comedy and could only get on a fully-western point of view (especially about the part of the food), so I'm assuming he's not living in Japan (most of the ANN staff isn't in Japan anyways, so what I'm about to say may apply to the rest of the previewers for the series), so I'm assuming, also, that he *had* to actually acquire the episode illegally, the same attitude ANN supposedly despises and has cursing all over its site. Try even going to their forums and say that you're a downloader, and ready your umbrella for a storm of shit. I'm not kidding. I've got so sick of the false attitude from the staff and the intolerance of its members that I almost got to the point of hating the site altogether, if it only wasn't for its encyclopedia.

Sorry, as soon as I read the ANN preview I had to say this.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 21:09   Link #1649
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
And once again ANN shows that it's pretty detrimental and contradictory staff-wise. The judgment of the first episode of Lucky Star seemed to be by someone who isn't at all in touch with the sense of Japanese comedy and could only get on a fully-western point of view (especially about the part of the food), so I'm assuming he's not living in Japan (most of the ANN staff isn't in Japan anyways, so what I'm about to say may apply to the rest of the previewers for the series), so I'm assuming, also, that he *had* to actually acquire the episode illegally, the same attitude ANN supposedly despises and has cursing all over its site. Try even going to their forums and say that you're a downloader, and ready your umbrella for a storm of shit. I'm not kidding. I've got so sick of the false attitude from the staff and the intolerance of its members that I almost got to the point of hating the site altogether, if it only wasn't for its encyclopedia.

Sorry, as soon as I read the ANN preview I had to say this.
I find it funny that Carl Kimlinger watches and reviews show that he clearyl doesn't like. I would prefer something like this old 1940's TV I read about in a Bathroom Reader. In this show an author would be put on the hot seat with a critic who would criticize his book and one who would praise it and he would answer their critiques. Barring the obvious absence of a director in reviewing on a small time website, they should have one review that is critical and one that is supportive of a show and place them side by side letting the viewer make the choice. I frown upon the one review system (I think Ebert & Roeper wouldn't be respected without both of them to give their say) and I think ANN's having one clearly hardass guy do a certain type of shows hurts their credibility a bit.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 21:38   Link #1650
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
So, uh, how exactly does one eat cake with a normal distribution? Because speculating about that has been making my brain hurt...
The way I take this is that in a given bite the percentages of strawberry, cream and cake have to follow a normal distribution, so that most of the time the ratio between them is fairly constant. Maintaining that ratio should produce an ideal cake-eating experience, as long as your percentages don't vary by more than a standard deviation. And yes, I'm the guy who goes back to the bowl of cream just because I'm nearing the end of my slice and the ratios are off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its rare I come across an ANN review that likes the sort of thing I like, so I long ago figured they lived on the other side of the anime spectrum and, if anything, they're kind of over-reaching by calling themselves the "anime news network" rather than the "some parts of the shounen news" spectrum or something similar.
That reminds me of when my local paper published an index of movie reviews from a bunch of major reviewers, so that you could see what they al had to say about a given film at the same time. I quickly came to realize that the NY Times movie reviewer was one of those dramatic film snobs who thought The English Patient was the greatest thing to ever grace the big screen. My tastes were pretty much the complete opposite of theirs, so the harder they panned something the more I wanted to see it.
Old 2007-04-25, 21:40   Link #1651
mukansa monkey
Pink bug make Amu angry!

I realized while reading posts here that Ep. 3 came out from AFK about thirty seconds after the last time I refreshed the main page, and that was almost 5 hours ago. I'm not sure whether to be horribly sad that I could have been watching it hours ago, or relieved that I'm not such a rabid fanboy that I compulsively hit the refresh button like an ebay sniper. Oh well, it downloaded in under 18 minutes. Time to go watch!
Old 2007-04-26, 20:33   Link #1652
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
I'm still downloading both the Lucky-Channel and a.f.k. subs. The main reason is that I'm one of the downloaders/archivers for my local club and they haven't decided which translation they prefer. (I am also downloading a.f.k. sub of AniYoko, which is a surprisingly popular show at our club because it's so very weeeeird for a children's show).

Hopefully I won't be in a position where I'm forced to choose one or the other.
Old 2007-04-26, 22:59   Link #1653
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to start downloading the other significant groups as well:
Eien no anime (and maybe even Wind) to compare with.

This may take the prize for the number of different subs downloaded for one series (the previous was Shuffle! where I was downloading three -- I never really was able to pick one set of releases I liked .... and then there was the problems with the show itself....). At least I know here that as long as they stick with the manga material I'll be fine.
Old 2007-04-27, 01:47   Link #1654
vhx

I just watched the first episode and I have to say... what exactly is this?

I am pretty tolerant of anime genre's and consider myself to be open to new concepts and ideas. However, this show just makes my head hurt. First of all 10 minutes of talking about food, the way to eat food, and how they setup food was probably the biggest waste of my time EVER.

To be honest the only saving grace for this anime is the character's drawing style, which imo is pretty cute. I think I only laughed once and that was when she was talking about how she knocked out some foreign guy and she related it to street fighter. This anime is probably the biggest chick anime I have ever seen. If you honestly like watching anime where ditzy girls talk about pointless subjects, then all the more power to you. However, I can barely stand that IRL, much less 20ish minutes of that in anime form. I mean theres no plot at all, it's just one random thought to the next. I think I saw them go from food -> glasses -> colds in the matter of a few minutes.

I have no idea how this anime even deserves its own section. I have seen many great anime's come and go (and some awesome ones) that did not have it's own section. I guess theres always a market for things like this; so I have a feeling I'm gonna get torn into by the fans here (:P), but just honestly what's so interesting about this anime?

/boggle

Last edited by vhx; 2007-04-27 at 02:10.
vhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 02:06   Link #1655
Skane
Anime Snark

Different folks, different strokes.

Cheers.
Old 2007-04-27, 02:15   Link #1656
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhx View Post

I am pretty tolerant of anime genre's and consider myself to be open to new concepts and ideas. However, this show just makes my head hurt. First of all 10 minutes of talking about food, the way to eat food, and how they setup food was probably the biggest waste of my time EVER.

To be honest the only saving grace for this anime is the character's drawing style, which imo is pretty cute. I think I only laughed once and that was when she was talking about how she knocked out some foreign guy and she related it to street fighter. This anime is probably the biggest chick anime I have ever seen. If you honestly like watching anime where ditzy girls talk about pointless subjects, then all the more power to you. However, I can barely stand that IRL, much less 20ish minutes of that in anime form. I mean theres no plot at all, it's just one random thought to the next. I think I saw them go from food -> glasses -> colds in the matter of a few minutes.

I have no idea how this anime even deserves its own section. I have seen many great anime's come and go (and some awesome ones) that did not have it's own section. I guess theres always a market for things like this; so I have a feeling I'm gonna get torn into by the fans here (:P), but just honestly what's so interesting about this anime?

/boggle
It's the nature of the 4Koma beast, you either get the joke and laugh or don't and have no other choice but to scratch you head and mull it over. I think some basic to intermediate knowledge of Japanese culture and the Otaku lifestly is a prerequisite. You also need to know the meaning of the term moe, as Lucky Star parodies and slams the concept quite routinely by presenting it at it's core values without any sugar coating, for the characters to comment on. Nothing is sacred with Konata.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 07:01   Link #1657
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
but just honestly what's so interesting about this anime?
How many times I have read this kind of question, I wonder
Now I think we should consider about having a thread for LS haters. It'll be easy for new fan or anti-fan to navigate where they should go first .
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 07:34   Link #1658
Jiji
*Scanlator

Quote:
honestly what's so interesting about this anime?
Same things that were interesting about Azumanga Daioh. If you didn't like that, you probably won't like this. How many times has that been said in this thread? Geez, people, I know this thread is long, but read a little first.

/still hasn't had time to watch ep 3.
//maybe tonight.
Jiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 07:35   Link #1659
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Thread for LS haters? It's like saying lets make a flame thread for a certain anime. I feel I don't like to have a thread like that and besides it's their option not to watch LS if they're LS haters.
Old 2007-04-27, 07:35   Link #1660
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Quote:

/boggle
Just because an anime has no plot means it isn't good?

Lucky Star is Seinen slice-of-life, and slice-of-life anime is much better than plot driven ones. Especially for people like me hu does a dumb security job (MINDEF MP) and spends most of my time sleeping. Basically for older audiences who have a full-time job and can't concentrate on a long plot, and can catch in-between-the-lines jokes.

Spoiler for Episode 1 In-between-the-lines using a.f.k.'s Americanised subs:

I think if u're at least 17 u can catch the above sexual reference. So you think its juz dumb talk abt food eh? Its more sophisticated than meets the eye.

When an anime is slice-of-life, the rewatchability goes up alot as compared to a plot-driven anime or a comedy anime. For plot-driven anime, you can anticipate the plot twists and for comedies, you can anticipate the joke. SoL is good to watch over and over again and almost never fails to amuse.

I personally have watched Lucky Star episode 1 five times, episode 2 seven times and episode 3 four times and counting (episode 3 is the best so far). Looks like I'm gonna watch episode 3 alot of times, should be at least ten.

One of the best SoL anime of all time is Azumanga Daioh. This one I can re-watch a few million times. I thought Lucky Star was going to be inferior to Azumanga Daioh until episode 3.

If you think a series this good doesn't deserve its own section, you are better off not watching anime at all in my opinion.

Last edited by dKiWi; 2007-04-27 at 07:50.
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen