AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-08-20, 00:50   Link #1
T-6000

Microsoft pulling the plug on Games for Windows Live?

It looks like Microsoft will be ending their GFWL PC Service next year at July.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/807...s-live-service

To tell you the truth, I can't say I'm honestly surprised. With the numerous bugs and problems with the service tarnishing it's reputation (I've had alot of trouble with this service from Day 1. Steam, Origin, nor even Uplay ever gave me as much trouble as GFWL. And my experiences were on various gaming PCs I have gotten over the years.), and with developers and publishers abandoning the service (or in some cases, making the switch directly to Steamworks support) one by one I actually expected this to happen in the foreseeable future back at 2010. In fact, last year I made a prediction to my brother that Microsoft will consider pulling the plug around 2015 or after since so few support the digital platform it may not be worth the expense and trouble.

For the sake of PC Gamers who have GFWL games (especially those that use GFWL's Serverside Authentication) I hope Microsoft works out a way for those PC gamers to still have access to their games. I have 3 PC games that use the service, Gears of War, Fallout 3, and Bulletstorm. Gears of War 3 and Bulletstorm I don't play through anymore (GoW Pc I got burnt out of after playing it so many times, and Bulletstorm simply had too many design& gameplay problems for me to enjoy it), but Fallout 3 I still do play it on occasions. From what I have heard, there are some Mods out there that will remove GFWL from Fallout 3 so I'll be looking for those.

I can't say I'll miss the service since I've had so much trouble with it, but on the other hand it's a damn shame since I believe that Microsoft could have easily been able to compete with not only Steam but other digital platforms on the PC with the amount of resources at their disposal. Hell, they could have gained an edge at the upcoming Console wars with GFWL if they played their cards right (at least, that's what I believe). And despite the problems with GFWL I would have still bought the rest of the Gears of War series if they were ported on the PC since I loved the first one so much.

Talk about a wasted opportunity........
Old 2013-08-20, 10:41   Link #2
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

They're only pulling the plug on the market place. The service itself will still be available, so your games will still work.

At least, that's what I've read on another message board.
Old 2013-08-20, 19:16   Link #3
T-6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
They're only pulling the plug on the market place. The service itself will still be available, so your games will still work.

At least, that's what I've read on another message board.
This bit of news was posted a couple of days after the closure of Microsoft's online PC store. On Age Of Empires Online, a notice was put up that stated GFWL service itself will end July of next year. The notice was quickly taken down, and Microsoft's reply to Eurogamer's request for clarification was a bit strange. It may be that Microsoft is planning on replacing GFWL with another service, or this could be just PR to dance around the reported closure.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...d-in-july-2014