AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-27, 14:14   Link #1
Qwazar

Anime for NGE withdrawal

First things first, I know NGE is so omfgpopular I should have watched it years ago. It was mecha, so I didn't. Then TTGL came, also I started favortising GAINAX, so I watched it, and as you might expect, my brain isn't working quite properly.

Then again, I have to admit, that NGE was a really good anime, and I can't watch mediocre anime right now. I tried Eureka 7, in normal conditions I'd be in my 'good enough to watch' state, but now it just doesn't cut it for me.

So, what I need is, a really good anime, impressive, powerfull, at the same time not being mindraping. Comedy would be perfect, not-too-serious romance would work too, even really good action/fantasy/mecha series, if you can assure that I will sit back in my chair, with tears of joy in my eyes, when the bad guy gets beaten.

Oh, almost forgot

Spoiler for The List:
Old 2008-02-27, 14:30   Link #2
kayos
Banned

I'm surprise Claymore isn't on your list, should check it out, non stop action. The anime followed the manga very well until the ending... it's like someone just crapped out of their mouth.

But still it's a must watch. As for the manga I think it's still ongoing.

Also if you're a Gainax fan, try Diebuster, the visuals and quality are amazing.

Btw... you should alphabetize your list, just to make it simpler for people to see and skip down to the letter of choice.
Old 2008-02-27, 14:51   Link #3
Qwazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
Btw... you should alphabetize your list, just to make it simpler for people to see and skip down to the letter of choice.
That's a brilliant idea. Except it involves work. Oh well, I can always just ignore the suggestion if I've seen it.
Old 2008-02-27, 15:09   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

RahXephon is an obvious choice, given it has a lot in common with NGE.

I also don't see Seirei no Moribito, Nodame Cantabile, Mononoke, Dennou Coil, Moyashimon, or Noein on your list; the currently-running Ghost Hound might also pique your curiosity, though it might have too much "mindraping" for you. Most of these are available from the Series page. Wikipedia links in my signature.
Old 2008-02-27, 15:14   Link #5
cerrian

For comedy you should check out Genshiken. That'll force your mind into a different gear.

RahXephon is a really good mecha series with some great characters. It won't mind rape you like NGE and has a better sense of closure than other mecha series like NGE or TTGL.

Last Exile is also another good option to switch out of the bitter sweet/tragic mindset. Although it does have its share of tragedy, the series is by far much more optimistic than the others.

If you're going to watch DieBuster then be sure you watch Gunbuster first, otherwise you're going to miss out on a lot of key moments....not to mention that the ending won't make any sense to you whatsoever. Besides, with Gunbuster you'll have the opportunity to see one of the greatest anime endings in history.

Edit - Seiji mentioned Seirei no Moribto and I'll second that. It's a beautifully produced adventure/historical-fantasy story.
Old 2008-02-27, 15:24   Link #6
Qwazar

Guess for the moment I'll watch Gunbuster and Diebuster, as I was intending to watch them sometime soon anyways. Thanks For suggestions, keep them coming!
Old 2008-02-27, 15:25   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

*is confused because E7 is so much better than Evangelion*

I suggest Nadesico. I wanted to rewatch Eva, but after watching Nadesico, I couldn't sit through Eva.
Old 2008-02-27, 15:30   Link #8
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I'm surprise Claymore isn't on your list, should check it out, non stop action. The anime followed the manga very well until the ending... it's like someone just crapped out of their mouth.

But still it's a must watch. As for the manga I think it's still ongoing.

Also if you're a Gainax fan, try Diebuster, the visuals and quality are amazing.

If you decide to watch diebuster, you should really watch gunbuster first. Sure, it's OLD, and the animation looks horrible by today's standards, but it's a good story and to be honest, the end of diebuster simply won't make a lot of sense in the slightest if you don't watch gunbuster first (since it IS the sequel and all, albeit set FAR into the future). I'd recommend both either way, it's an awesome little series.
Old 2008-02-27, 15:32   Link #9
Qwazar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
*is confused because E7 is so much better than Evangelion*

I suggest Nadesico. I wanted to rewatch Eva, but after watching Nadesico, I couldn't sit through Eva.
To be honest, I am still watching Eureka 7, and it gets slightly better at tenth episode or so. I can't agree with it being better then NGE, though. If an anime can take me to the state NGE did, it is a good anime, in my opinion (but it is NOT what I am looking for atm.)
Old 2008-02-27, 16:17   Link #10
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If you like some amazing anime with comedy, then I will recommend Nodame Cantabile and Mahoromatic. Seirei no Moribito is good, powerful, without a lot of romance but some action.

Claymore is also good.
Old 2008-02-27, 19:16   Link #11
devildog23
Summerlurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazar View Post
So, what I need is, a really good anime, impressive, powerfull, at the same time not being mindraping.Comedy would be perfect, not-too-serious romance would work too, even really good action/fantasy/mecha series, if you can assure that I will sit back in my chair, with tears of joy in my eyes, when the bad guy gets beaten.
I went through the same phase with NGE being my favorite anime. So I know exactly what you mean.

Comedy

For Comedy and not too serious romance, although there are some parts that get serious, School Rumble, one of my favorites is a great choice.

Yakitate Japan!! for pure comedy.

Seto no Hanayome - "lol" is all I have to say

Other

FLCL - from Gainax, since you liked TTGL and EVA you'd probably like this, although it is a little wierd, not mindraping, just so wierd its funny.

One that tends to fly under the radar, but is an excellent anime is Mushi-Uta. Though the relationships between all the characters develop too quick, it is still a good one, that is impressive and powerful, but not mindraping (IMO). Unique plot with good action. NOTE - Can be sad, so if your looking for an upbeat anime, look past this one.

Fate/Stay Night is a great action/fantasy one that got me out of EVA "withdrawal" the second time I watched it (same effect, just less of it). Its surprisingly one of the best I've ever seen. NOTE - it can be quite sad, so if your looking for an upbeat one, look past this one.

Mecha - personally I wouldn't recommend another mecha anime, but since you asked for mecha, heres a couple

Full Metal Panic - a pretty good mecha, but I'm suggesting this for season two, Fumoffu, which is all comedy.

Gunparade March - a light hearted mecha with elements of military and slice of life.

Gundam Seed - probably the best gundam I've seen. Philosophies collide in times of war.
Old 2008-02-27, 19:21   Link #12
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwazar View Post
To be honest, I am still watching Eureka 7, and it gets slightly better at tenth episode or so. I can't agree with it being better then NGE, though. If an anime can take me to the state NGE did, it is a good anime, in my opinion (but it is NOT what I am looking for atm.)
Yeah, it's a whole different kind of story, but much better. E7 is the ultimate coming-of-age tale and the overall development of character is perfect, plus it's the only long series to consistently hold my attention. I'd say Renton and Eureka qualify both as two of my favorite characters as well as my favorite couple in anime. But I won't go on, watch it yourself. It definitely picks up constantly as it goes along.

But I'm serious about Nadesico, that show is incredible. It's also funny the whole way through so you won't feel anything like NGE.
Old 2008-02-27, 23:10   Link #13
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

AMAZING Qwazar, uve seen all the good animes!!! dude ive almost evry anime u got on the list really good selection i can tell we both have similar tastes in what anime drives us. i think ive seen a few more tho "170+" XD. if u want to know a really good anime, I suggest "Outlaw Star" its what initial pushed me into the "anime is cool" to "I LOVE ANIME" but to briefly outline it, get (Vash from Trigun and Spike from Cowboy beepop, Cross dress them, put them in a very similar (Space pirate/outlaw protagonistic setting, and there u have it. I like to classify all 3 (Trigun, CowboyBebob, Outlawstar) In the same Triad of Scifi/space/ adventure animes. love them all, so ud be missin out if uve only seen Trigun or cowboybebop w/out seeing outlawstar.
Old 2008-02-27, 23:12   Link #14
Gomenasai
The Poster-guy

btw i know its a stupid question, but i have never heard of NGE, what is it? i am really intrested now^^ the only thing that pops into my mind is a StarwarsGalaxies patch that drove me crazy.
Old 2008-02-28, 00:21   Link #15
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomenasai View Post
btw i know its a stupid question, but i have never heard of NGE, what is it? i am really intrested now^^ the only thing that pops into my mind is a StarwarsGalaxies patch that drove me crazy.
Neon Genesis Evangelion

If you haven't seen it already, then you should. It is widely considered a classic anime, despite all the controversy, that kicks-off the beginning of the 4th age (or was it the 3rd?) of anime. It also spawned a whole new breed of anime cliches that we see today.... fanservice, emo boy, teenage pilots, and the new mechas.
Old 2008-02-28, 01:03   Link #16
kjk8288
Caffein > Sleep

Speed Grapher: Really nice of an ending, not mindraping, alot of action, and a few plot twists that make it entertaining.
Bamboo blade: Currently ongoing comedy, nothing much but it's got some cute points and comedy.
Overdrive: A very simple yet motivating anime. Everytime I see this anime it makes me want to get out of the house for a change and ride my bicycle. Too bad i'd freeze to death if I did it now..... Probably the best sports anime I've seen.
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan: Umm the title translates to Beat to death angel Dokuro-chan, so I probably don't need to explain much. This is so bloody and disturbing yet you can't keep your eyes off it cause it's so damn funny.
He is my master: Standard Harem, Comedy, etc. Except it's got a surprising twist, the protagonist is a millionaire boy who got his fortune from the death of his parents and using it to harass his debt-bound maids with it.
Old 2008-02-28, 02:45   Link #17
NightSamurai

Having just rewatched NGE for the first time in years I can definitely understand where you are coming from (it was the anime that got me into anime), I mean I remembered that it was good but I didn't remember it being that good. But, anyways, enough about me and onto the suggestions. A few great animes I didn't see mentioned were: Code Geass, a Death Note-esque series focused on revenge, with a bit of super powers and mecha thrown in; and Gantz, a great anime about hunting aliens (sort of), I don't really want to give too much away but this series is amazing and if you like the anime I strongly suggest you continue on with the manga. Hope this helps a fellow NGE fan!
Old 2008-02-28, 03:23   Link #18
Navel

Like most people have said:

* right now give priority to Gunbuster and Diebuster; they're epic and not at all simplistic and, most important right now for you, they're not going to aggravate your mental state after NGE ^^

* if you still want comedy after that, while staying in the realm of mecha, look at Code Geass; it's got a charismatic main lead with an interesting evilish side and showoff personality, and lots of things going on that will keep you gripped

* this is an anime I see I'm mentioning in almost every post I make here on asuki - Gankutsuou; when I started seeing it, I already knew the novel this anime is supposedly inspired from (The Count of Monte Cristo); I was expecting a story set in the sixteeen-seventeen century France with maybe some magic/fantastic elements, and what I got was not at all like that, but an awesome story with great characters that shine very brightly and go through a lot of development in this story of revenge and love; a must see anime whose high rating this time is well deserved (but an anime that's surprisingly not that well known)

* RahXephon is also a very good anime, which will look a lot like NGE but is different in a very good way; however, my recommendation would be to see it after NGE's glow has faded a little bit, otherwise you might miss the important things and only see what you remember from NGE ^^

* regarding Eureka 7 - this anime improves after the first episodes; Eureka's "kids" playing make this anime look like something else in the beginning, but the focus will change after episode 20 or so; it will get more about human nature and conflicts and love

* finally, another anime that is more than what appears at first - that's Big O; it starts and looks like a Batman anime clone (really), but by the end of it that's going to change in a mind melting and thought provoking way

* and if you're not looking specifically for mecha, I'll add Nana, Paradise Kiss and Bokura ga Ita to your list for love/romance anime series similar in feeling to Kare Kano and Nodame Cantabile
Closed Thread