AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2006-07-12, 23:27   Link #101
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Why people hate naruto dubs so much?. In my opinion its one of the best dubs out there. Viz usually does a really good job in their dubs ( example Inuyasha). and their work on nartuo is really good. Well i am not saying 100 percent of the dub actors chosen for characters are perfect, but most are. Overal , of course sub is better than dub, But that doesnt make an awsome job done on naruto dub bad.
Old 2006-07-13, 00:26   Link #102
portgas D ace

but why the h*ll would they change something decent like maito gai to might guy.... for a dudes name... "o look its might guy!"
wow......
portgas D ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 01:07   Link #103
Fatty Chalupa
Whats this fuzzy feeling?

"Although he is almost exclusively referred to as Maito Gai by the English Naruto fan base, the second official data book (Hiden: Tō no Sho) states Guy's name as being Might Guy. The English version of the anime and the recent manga translation use Might Guy."

Yeah that kinda got me confused as well
Fatty Chalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 07:27   Link #104
Piro20
The Newb Downloader

Send a message via MSN to Piro20 Send a message via Yahoo to Piro20
From watching clips of the naruto game in english dub I hate the dub. Naruto doesn't sound right. Thank God they released the uncut version on dvd with japanese dialogue with the english dialogue.
Piro20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 08:19   Link #105
Kasiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoko
But but...didn't they butchered naruto?

Just wait until the fillers season...they are all going to hate its guts.
Quoted for emphasis
the fillers are so INCREDIBLY bad, it's not even funny. I mean every anime has fillers, but the Bleach/One Piece ones aren't so bad, if you didn't know they were fillers, you wouldn't even notice, but the naruto ones....omg:
Main Story=>Main Story=>Main Story, story STOPS. Fillers with NO story at all[it looks
as if they took 10 mins to think about the story....]
Kasiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 21:33   Link #106
guess

AAAHHHHH! Too many commercials!!! How can they pinch in so many comercials in one ep????? This should be a crime!

Can we do something about this?
Old 2006-07-15, 23:02   Link #107
fieryshadowcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Chalupa
"Although he is almost exclusively referred to as Maito Gai by the English Naruto fan base, the second official data book (Hiden: Tō no Sho) states Guy's name as being Might Guy. The English version of the anime and the recent manga translation use Might Guy."

Yeah that kinda got me confused as well
Because as far as I can understand, Maito was either Might or short for Dynamite. It means nothing in Japanese, so that was the immediate conjecture--that it was yet another "Japanicized" word. Yet no one complains about Rakku/Rokku (just guessing how it would be romanized) because it works out... yeah, people are weird when criticizing Engrish which has the misfortune of transforming back into English. -_-

And the Naruto dub is not bad at all. I won't even say it's not that bad, because while some of the voices are crap (I actually liked Oro's, but I cannot forgive much of what happened to Chouji's), plenty were good to begin with and plenty have grown, even (oh, Temari, how you made me believe again as you commenced the beatdown on Tenten today...). I've been popping in for certain episodes every now and then to see how they fared in English, and many did fare well. After the Kiba/Naruto fight, I'll have no need to pop in until perhaps Jiraiya appears. The ONLY comparisons you can really make between the dub and sub are the quality of the voice actors. Japanese-English conversions of phrases have gotten better (Hidden Leaf Village appeared back during the Wave Country Arc, and they've been referring to villages in that trend for awhile). Editing isn't really an issue. Since curse words technically don't exist in Japanese, that's not a problem at all. Furthermore, blood has been toned down slightly, but the toning down has decreased because there is eventually a realization that the series is violent-- I mean, they're ninjas. Die/kill/etc. have replaced the tendency towards annihlate/end/destroy that has plagued other series, and the bloodiest scene to date (Gaara's first official bloodbath) was hardly edited at all--if it was, I definitely did not notice.

I have entrusted Viz with the care of this series, and I will continue to do so. As for name conversions of jutsu, some people are just being picky.
fieryshadowcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 23:11   Link #108
cheese4u
da big boss

Problems with the English Dub!?.

Personally I have no problems with the English dub of Naruto. I think the people who made the English dub did an excellent job of making sure that Naruto would fit in in America. However some people despise the English dub, but I feel that's only because they watched the Japanese version first, and I admit the Japanese version is better, but in my opinion that's only because it's more natural. A friend of mine hates the ED of Naruto because he says they messed up on the voices (I thought that was a miniscule reason to stop watching). But I digress, why do you like or dislike the English dub of Naruto.
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-15, 23:45   Link #109
FireDetei
Online Gamer.

I dislike most dubs tho, mainly becauser 99% of them are done with American voice actors who really dnt put effort in. The voices never seem to sound in sync with how the character is acting at that moment or their facial features. Its really displeasing to see an angry face but the voice sounding just the same as what it did when they were happy or exited. I guess that because the japaniese work coinsiding with the writters, where as the English dnt? i dnno, but its just stupid and annoying.

Not only that, but imo some of the voices just dnt seem to fit the characters. Im not talking about voice pitches with emotions, just the voices in general. They really dnt seem to fit the chars as u would imagine...I guess part of that is because we've already seen what the Japaniese voice actors sound like and think they are the best, but also you have the likes of:
1) Naruto's Voice - if i knew a guy with that voice irl, i would smash his head in
2) Lee's Voice - WWAAAAAYYYY too american.
3) Oro sounds a bit of an idiot from what ive head (i havnt acctually seen an ep with him in yet so cnt comment about him)

Also I guess its because I really love the Japaniese language, the way it sounds just adds to the magic and also the humor. You just dnt get the same feeling when its said in English.
FireDetei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 00:20   Link #110
cheese4u
da big boss

The only thing that ruined it for me was Oro's voice, he sounds too bad guyish, or I should say that his voice sounds to cleche to normal bad guys in the english dub, whereas in the Japanese version he has a very unique, creepy, and somewhat cool voice.
Old 2006-07-16, 01:04   Link #111
Uchiha-kaze

The characters voices' sound too out of place. Sasuke's voice doesn't reflect upon the nature of his character in being an avenger living for one thing, but then again its early. Its still a possibility it could improve before Valley of the End. Naruto's voice is horrible.
Uchiha-kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-16, 01:10   Link #112
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha-kaze
The characters voices' sound too out of place. Sasuke's voice doesn't reflect upon the nature of his character in being an avenger living for one thing, but then again its early. Its still a possibility it could improve before Valley of the End. Naruto's voice is horrible.

Well to me Naruto and Sasuke's voice sounds like an English version of their Japanese voices, it doesn't sound out of place at all to me. The only person I think that many of us would agree on having a "bad" voice in the ED is Rock Lee.
Old 2006-07-16, 14:22   Link #113
Un1234l

Hey hey Hey! If Orochimaru had a more snake-like voice, the voice actor I would say would best fit that personality is Michael Shapiro. Don't know who he is? He's the voice behind the G-Man and Barney Calhoun of the Half-Life series.
Un1234l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 20:50   Link #114
Yogi

Ultimate Sub/Dub voice conparisons.

This user made many movies comparing Naruto's sub and dub actors. I know people can have strong opinions, but I don't think anyone's actually compared the voices side by side like he did. It's pretty interesting.
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 21:23   Link #115
Zek
Eyebrows...

I think Shino's dub voice is the worst fit. He sounds like a sadistic jerk.
Zek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-17, 23:26   Link #116
s-class uchiha
Naruto = Painful

The pain!

But it could be worse.

Kudos to Hinata's voice... very good
s-class uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 11:26   Link #117
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance

I don't really know why people say Naruto's a "bad" dub at all. The only thing the dub did was edit out some of the blood and cut out the Sasuke-and-Naruto kissing scene (and using "destroy" as "kill" somewhere starting episode three, but they still use "kill" occassionally). I personally believe that anyone who doesn't appreciate the awesome dub (considering most and only bad dubs air on television, it really says something) is a (no offense) a**. I watched Naruto dubbed and subbed, and almost all the dialogue is 100% close to what it was originally and the BGM is the same (some of it rearranged though, but at least they kept all the original music, unlike some dubs 4Kids does. *cough*Pokemon *cough* *cough*One Piece *cough* *cough* Yuugiou *cough* I'm glad that the license for Naruto went to Viz). The voices? Naruto's voice actor and seiyuu almost sound exactly the same. I think if people would complain about the voices, they should complain about Sakura and Sasuke's seiyuus. I mean, at least in the dub, Sakura and Sasuke SOUND like 12 year olds, as opposed to the Japanese version, where they sound like their mid-twenties (of course, this is leaning more towards Sakura).

And oh my gosh! They left in Sexy no Jutsu. :0

Quote:
All Ive heard about the dubbs is that they have a hard time saying Naruto right. But Ive been seeing the Naruto fighting game everywhere lately, the 1st one I think, (cant tell cause the covers different)
Nope. They pronounced Naruto right.

Na (Nah) - Ru (Roo) - To (Toh)

Anyone who knows basic Japanese would know that the dub did pronounced the name right.
Suzumiya Haruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 13:55   Link #118
Yazakura
Enigma of Nothing

Naruto Dubs...

Am I the only one here who thinks the Naruto dub cast sucked and should've been band from the role? Sasuke's and Hinata's voices were the only ones they did a decent job on in my opinion...and Naruto wasn't intended for freakin' ten year olds! Why edit out all the good stuff for the brats watching CN, and not air it on Adult Swim unedited with a decent dub?

Your thoughts are...???
Yazakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 14:09   Link #119
gencbiba

Hmm... In my case, my source of anime as of this moment is a site which only has dubbed series so I am forced to watch it. However, I hate whoever created dubs because the story kind of loses something special whenever the translation is made. Subs are different in my opinion because the content isn't edited as much as it would be with dubs.

Captain Tsubasa and Dai no Daibouken are being translated!! Check us out at http://www.hiei-tf.fr/frenchies-subs/. Stop on by and show us some love at the forums.
gencbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-16, 14:32   Link #120
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazakura
and Naruto wasn't intended for freakin' ten year olds! Why edit out all the good stuff for the brats watching CN, and not air it on Adult Swim unedited with a decent dub?
Intended audience is the same in both the US and Japan, btw, it's TV standards that differ. Secondly, there's not even that much editing anyway.

Quote:
Subs are different in my opinion because the content isn't edited as much as it would be with dubs.
Not true. Not only are the majority of dubs uncut, but the Japanese frequently edit manga (sometimes greatly) when they animate it...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote