AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-02-18, 23:43   Link #1
YoSneaky

Anime Partners

I had an idea and I thought that I'd post it on the forums.

It's hard to explain so here I go.

You know how people who are trying to get in shape go jogging, right? Well, a lot of them like to have a partner that jogs with them and keeps them motivated to keep running to finish their goal.

In a similar way, I was thinking, that people here on the forums can find other people or "partners" that can all decide and choose on an anime to watch and set a due date for it to be finished. It would keep the viewers interested to watch it and they can discuss it with others while watching it.

Me, for example, I would start an anime but would not have the dedication to finish it. With a partner, I would have someone to encourage me to keep watching. Also, this is for people who don't have any friends that watch anime in real life or they keep watching anime on the "down low".

Thoughts?
YoSneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 23:47   Link #2
jedinat

I have no problem watching/finishing an anime I enjoy. If it doesn't keep your attention/interest, I don't think it's worth watching anyways.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 23:52   Link #3
YoSneaky

But watching an anime while you know other people are watching it with you that have never watched it before would be nice. Lets say you finish an episode, you can just chat with them or do whatever you want and just discuss what you think will happen and so on. Makes it more interesting, I guess. My opinion and your opinion.
Old 2009-02-18, 23:59   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSneaky View Post
But watching an anime while you know other people are watching it with you that have never watched it before would be nice. Lets say you finish an episode, you can just chat with them or do whatever you want and just discuss what you think will happen and so on. Makes it more interesting, I guess. My opinion and your opinion.
Well, you can do that here already in their respective forums. If you mean in RL, well, I prefer watching my anime alone. I find myself worrying about whether the other person is enjoying the show more than enjoying it myself, lol. But yeah, I do see where you're coming from. In the past I enjoyed sharing my raptures over certain episodes with my cousin, who is the only other anime fan I know personally.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 00:07   Link #5
YoSneaky

So for people who don't know any anime fans personally they can find someone from here. It'll be more personal I guess than just going to that animes forums where a hundred different people can reply to you. With this it'll be just a select few in your group.
Old 2009-02-19, 00:18   Link #6
LeoXiao
思想工作

I like watching anime with other people, but unfortunately the only person I know who I could watch it with, my brother, moved away, and his sleeping schedule differs from mine anyway.

Otherwise I like watching an anime myself first, and then watching it with others. I don't know any anime fans apart from my brother very well, so I'm quite cautious when it comes to watching anime with my friends or family.

Quote:
So for people who don't know any anime fans personally they can find someone from here. It'll be more personal I guess than just going to that animes forums where a hundred different people can reply to you. With this it'll be just a select few in your group.
Well I guess you can do that pretty easily by email or private messaging.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 01:08   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wait.. isn't that the OPs idea the whole point of this forum? An episode is released, I watch it and then I go to the forum where I and everyone else who watched it discuss, compare notes, and speculate. My forum pals are my "partners" in this exercise in escapism. If I fall behind, I'm kind of locked out of the conversation by default so the incentive is to keep up.

Now if you mean "in real life"? There are specific series that I watch with a certain person. Most of them either aren't generalized anime fans (they like Spice&Wolf or Ichigo Masimaro .. or they let me sift thru it all and pick out the gems). The few that are generalized fans are also college students and/or working and it makes for a tough time in watching something together.
Old 2009-02-19, 02:32   Link #8
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

I like watching stuff 'with' friends. Sure, we're online, but watching it at the same time, making comments (via IRC/IM) during lulls, and discussing it briefly afterwards (if watching a series and moving on to the next ep) is fun and entertaining in itself. It does make getting through... lesser, so to say, series a bit easier, too.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 06:15   Link #9
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
=P since when is watching anime becoming like a daily job?
If you don't want to finish it then don't lol, anime is not comparable to fitness, at leased then you get in shape
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 08:25   Link #10
shinryou
--- semi-hikikomori ---

that would be true... also, this forum would be a place where people gather to talk about anime, if that doesn't motivate you then I don't see how this idea woud be any different. Then again, I ould be wrong...

"can't get away... from the sound of life..." - shinryou
shinryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 09:40   Link #11
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Wait.. isn't that the OPs idea the whole point of this forum? An episode is released, I watch it and then I go to the forum where I and everyone else who watched it discuss, compare notes, and speculate. My forum pals are my "partners" in this exercise in escapism. If I fall behind, I'm kind of locked out of the conversation by default so the incentive is to keep up.
You might want to watch an older show. You might want to watch the releases of a slower but better group. You might want to watch the show only after it has been subbed completely to avoid falling into holes when the subbing process stalls for a month for whatever reason. Or because you think the best pace to watch it is two or three episodes per week instead of one (of course, the faster the pace the harder to coordinate two or more people).

In all these cases having an anime partner might be rewarding to discuss the show with might be rewarding.

I'd say give it a try, open a thread as a "dating agency" and see if you can match up people.
Old 2009-02-19, 09:44   Link #12
YoSneaky

I agree with Slice of Life. Instead of just posting what you think in a topic on here where your opinion isn't as important because there will be another amount of people posting as well. Instead if you can find, lets say two to three people that are interested in the same type of anime as you where you can e-mail, private message, talk in a chat room on AIM or something else. That way your having a more personal experience.

Some people don't like this idea but think about others and not just yourself.
Old 2009-02-19, 10:26   Link #13
Amray

I simply watch anime almost every night at 7:30 or later where I will simply watch one volume of something. But because I am such a perfectionist I cannot leave a series left unfinished, and therefore will encourage myself to watch the whole series through by my own accord anyway. I usually only purchase anime DVD's that sound appealing to me anyway.
Amray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 10:58   Link #14
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoSneaky View Post
I agree with Slice of Life. Instead of just posting what you think in a topic on here where your opinion isn't as important because there will be another amount of people posting as well. Instead if you can find, lets say two to three people that are interested in the same type of anime as you where you can e-mail, private message, talk in a chat room on AIM or something else. That way your having a more personal experience.

Some people don't like this idea but think about others and not just yourself.
I don't knwo what kind of friends you have but if I miss an episode or simply forgot my friends with whom I discuss newly aired shows wouldn't get mad or anything, this isn't politics it is entertainment you should be able to step out whenever you want to, watching anime isn't a job.

I kind of understand what you mean, if there's an awesome show airing I'm one of those people who watch the TV airing, the raw followed by subs and discuss as soon as the television version has aired but I wouldn't get annoyed if my friends are slacking behind on what is airing this very day or even week, that would make me a pathetic friend IMO to get mad at someone for something you watch to entertain yourself, now if this were about school project or work assignments then yes I would whoop their fingers at every slacking stop so that their part gets finished.

Watching things as partners is not a bad idea but I don't like this talk about having to think about others before yourself, if I want to watch or not watch something it is my decision and the world isn't going to suffer under it heck A-suki won't go in despair as soon as I stop making summaries for certain shows, it isn't my job or anything.

Forcing someone to finish a series is a dumb thing, if you're not motivated to finish a show then most likely you won't enjoy finishing it, now I wouldn't want to be the one to sit behind a screen watching something that might bore you out of your mind when you can do other things, that reminds me of watching certain educational programs at school

If you lack behind don't blame it on someone else, its your own damned fault and deep inside you know when someone asks you to finish a show and you say well maybe I will that you know for certain that you won't because the show bores you out of your mind only a small percentage would actually do what is being said to them on AIM etc. but the world isn't going to end if you don't watch something, if it bothers you then you should watch it yourself no one is going to strap you to a chair unless you do it yourself =P
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 11:40   Link #15
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
You might want to watch an older show. You might want to watch the releases of a slower but better group. You might want to watch the show only after it has been subbed completely to avoid falling into holes when the subbing process stalls for a month for whatever reason. Or because you think the best pace to watch it is two or three episodes per week instead of one (of course, the faster the pace the harder to coordinate two or more people).

In all these cases having an anime partner might be rewarding to discuss the show with might be rewarding.

I'd say give it a try, open a thread as a "dating agency" and see if you can match up people.
Those are good scenarios for the concept and it isn't like I'm opposed to a minigroup thread to tag up people..... if someone packages the idea clearly and presents it in the Forum/Feedback section, I'd think the mods might be interested.
Old 2009-02-19, 12:06   Link #16
FreshLeafTea

Send a message via AIM to FreshLeafTea
i watch anime and usually recommend it to my friends, or i try to get them into watching anime
so then we discuss good things and bad things about it but it would be nice to talk about it with someone online as well because they would probably have seen it already or maybe understand it in a better way or have a different perspective
FreshLeafTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 12:22   Link #17
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by I
"might be rewarding ... might be rewarding" Wait, did I really write this sentence?

Anyway.

I'm not sure if YoSneaky does a good job in selling his idea ... For the record: Watching anime is not like jogging, I wish it was. Then again I don't. And watching anime should never become a duty of any kind.

But the idea has its charm. For a concrete example, I watched both seasons of Higurashi only recently (due to a whole chain of misconceptions about the show - different story) and I understand that it might be nice to talk to somebody about it who watches the show for the first time too. And to find somebody is much easier here in the forum of, let me see, 6,327 active members than in your local anime club (if it exists in the first place).

And I don't think it would reduce traffic here. If anything, it would reduce the noise. It's not that the majority of people is remotely interested in my thoughts about a scene where character X stumbles into character Y in some onsen episode of anime Z that aired years ago. Or only several weeks.
Old 2009-02-19, 17:35   Link #18
Tiran86

I like discussing anime, which is why posting here is fun. But watching anime I can't get the motivation to finish just to discuss it? With few exceptions, I don't and won't do that. Anime is supposed to be fun (differing kinds of fun, good depressing/dramatic stuff like NTHT or Kanon is fun in its own way), not something I need someone to motivate me to do.
Tiran86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 01:40   Link #19
YoSneaky

I give up. Everyone's too emo.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:44   Link #20
LeoXiao
思想工作

Don't give up yet. Post what anime you like and we can talk.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote