AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-01-31, 02:49   Link #221
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Try Asura Cryin' : it's a 2009 split 2-cour anime about a highschool boy named Tomoharu who currently lives with his childhood friend named Misao, who takes form of a ghost. One day, they are witnessed by a evil organization until a giant robot called Asura Machina awakens and ask Tomoharu and Misao to pilot outside and inside respectively. There's few mechas in this series, but it's primarily focused around action (physical fighting), fantasy, drama and romance. Comedy and some ecchi are also present, mostly for comical purpose. There's few underaged characters (mostly secondary), but most of the cast are 15+. No human/hybrids characters.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 18:05   Link #222
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

ano hi mita hana no namae o bokutachi wa mada shiranai just found this title, and this name is familiar: did it get suggested a while back? Looking forward to watch it.

In the meantime it looks like i miss some other series i've already watched. Currently watching again Kissxsis and Hidan no Aria.
Classified Info is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 04:06   Link #223
gunstartheo

You definitely need to watch/finish watching all of Clannad and Clannad: After Story. Trust me it is one of the best romance animes I've ever seen. Yes I agree, the first couple of episodes are slow and I felt the same you did but I continued watching and realized that it picks up the pace soon after. Clannad kind of serves as an intro to all the characters but you will definitely appreciate it when you get into After Story. It did not receive highly acclaimed reviews for nothing Also, it definitely has one of the most satisfying ending for a romance anime in my opinion. I tried watching other romance animes after and they werent as ambitious and satisfying as Clannad's (and after story). Get ready to shed tears
gunstartheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 08:38   Link #224
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

i watched clannad up to the first girl's arc (i think it was ep6 or more, the ghost girl), but even tho i have to admit it was a bit emotional, it wouldn't still surpass some titles i had previously checked. The thing that mostly pissed me off was that i found the main girl to be too much childish, playing around with stupid stuff. Probably i hate her.

Anyways, i'll take Clannad in consideration again, since there isn't much left to watch (beside that i'm saving Kara no Kyoukai for later, since i think it's one of the titles that will satisfy me the most).

Finished watching Ano Hana and loved it. It was all the time about the dead friend, and was emotional from the very first episode, but even concerning death so closely, i felt it wasn't depressing like Kimi ga nozomu eien, because it contained some comedy and the animation was awesome. At the same time, it was able to deliver the most emotions, and i felt like the drama was too much good. Definitely took its spot in my top5. I wished there were other dramas like this, that concern very dramatic things but at the same time show some comedy and make it less depressing, coupled with a nice graphic aswell.

Currently reading Hidan no Aria novel, since it took my interest (Like Haruhi Suzumiya did), so i think i'll be busy with it for the next month or so (since i don't have much time). Going to finish the 4th volume.
Old 2012-02-04, 20:29   Link #225
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Watched the first episode of Kara no Kyoukai because i had it saved, but i didn't get quite well the goal of this anime: i get thrown in this world that looks normal, where a random girl seems to have some random powers. Girls start suiciding for no apparent reason and she goes investigate, and cuts her hand for fun. Then you get to know it was a puppet arm, and that she's lost her real arm somewhere in some previous time. You also get to know that her other friend is some mad scientist playing with dolls and arranging artificial arms. Her boy/friend/whatever goes in a deep sleep for no apparent reason, and she goes to that building raping random floating souls/whatever, that later you discover being "summoned??" by a disabled girl, who then suicides for the fun of it. Just what the fuck is this?

If it is some phylosophycal thing like Ghost in the Shell(that i found really boring), that has some wicked meaning and a fake girl as protagonist (In GitS it was the girl cyborg), then i'm not going to watch the other movies. I also found a lot of lacking in music background. Just lately i noticed that music plays a huge role: music can make an horror anime look like an action, a stupid fight like a drama, a real drama like a comedy, or simply enhance some situations, delivering more emotions according to the situation. The only thing that i could appreciate was the graphic, that surely is amongst the best i could experience. Beside that, i found it a bit empty and depressing. I think i just don't like this kind of superficial settings with deep phylosophical thoughts about emotionless and superficial and general view of the world/life, even tho I myself have a very emotionless view of the world(even tho i'm not that superficial).

Also, i forgot to mention a thing: i feel bad when the main heroine gets hurt in an irreversible way (the loss of an arm, of an eye, an evident scar, the impossibility of moving, any bad disease, a whole fake body...), and i just stop linking my mind to the anime, making it impossible for the anime to deliver me any kind of emotion. Probably it is because i have the view that the female part should just be perfect, beautiful, untouched, delicate, to be protected and such. If the girl shows a too masculine character, or is physically maimed, i stop dreaming. Just so you know, even in Hidan no Aria, i kinda felt a little bad when it was said many times that Aria had a scar on her back. I think i just can't stand girls being hurt.
Old 2012-02-05, 04:35   Link #226
Undertaker

Have you tried Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko yet? That is also a pretty good series with school setting.

Also have you checked out Hayate the Combat Butler yet?
Old 2012-02-05, 07:15   Link #227
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Have you tried Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko yet? That is also a pretty good series with school setting.

Also have you checked out Hayate the Combat Butler yet?
To make simple, Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko is about a boy named Makoto who currently lives with his aunt named Meme. One day, he met a beautiful human girl named Erio. The latter, which is supposed to be Meme's daughter, falsely claims to Makoto that she is an alien. Most of the characters in this series are 15+ but doesn't have any human/hybrids characters. It was released last year with 12 episodes.

In contrast, Hayate the Combat Butler follows a young 16-years old named Hayate who lives alone because his parents suffered debt. One night, he falsely kidnaps a 13-years old girl named Nagi who was born in a wealthy family, however the real abducters kidnaps her while Hayate come her to the rescue. He later becomes Nagi's butler. There's enough females characters of the series that are under 15 (mostly 12-13 years old, because they are mostly considered Nagi's classmates at middle-school) but no human/hybrids characters. It was released in 2007 with 52 episodes, followed by a 2008 OVA and a 2009 25-episodes sequel. A movie based on this was released in last summer.

I'll also recommend Mayo Chiki!, a 2011 13-episodes TV anime about a highschool student Kinjiro Sakamachi who live in a normal life. However, he accidentally falls meeting a butler named Subaru Konoe, who is actually a girl. It's a gender-bender romantic comedy in which takes place in highschool setting, features the majority of the cast as 15+ characters and no human/hybrids characters (Nakuru, a human female, uses cat ears as accessories instead of being natural additions to her).
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-05, 08:01   Link #228
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

I'll add Denpa Onna to my list.

The main reason i didn't check Hayate was because the girls were around 13, but if i'm looking for romance, i just can't see it between kids (i mean, there could be, but how far would it go? Probably holding hands will be already a huge waste of energy)

If bakatsuki works again, i'll continue reading Hidan no Aria novel tho.
Old 2012-02-05, 11:45   Link #229
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
The main reason i didn't check Hayate was because the girls were around 13, but if i'm looking for romance, i just can't see it between kids (i mean, there could be, but how far would it go? Probably holding hands will be already a huge waste of energy).
Not all girls were around 13 in this series, there's many female characters that are older than 13, but play as secondary characters (especially Maria).

I need you to check out Is This a Zombie?. It's about a young 16-years old named Ayumu who gets killed by a serial killer and then ressurected as a zombie by a female necromancer. One day, he mets a magically-equipped girl named Haruna, however he accidentally take almost all of her single powers. It has :
- 12 episodes
- All characters of the series are 15+ (even the ones who have younger appearance than their age)
- Most of female characters are supernatural creatures
- No human/animal hybrids
- The protagonist do extraordinary things
- If you are really into ecchi/romance/comedy/action series, look at this.
- The girls didn't have childish personnality (except Haruna)
- The comedic scenes are really funny (at least for me). The ecchiness give a lot of excitement and fun, just like other standard ecchi series.
- The protagonist was in love with the necromancer, the series itself has some romance and has harem plot.

If you like Aria the Scarlet Ammo, read Campione! (there's even an anime adaptation which will be released this April) : it's about a 16-years old boy named Go Kusanagi who lives in a normal life. During a spring break, he went to Italy, however a demon attacks Rome. Go slays that demon and became the future godslayer. It has :
- 11 volumes
- Lot of action and romance
- Different approach of harem plot
- No human/hybrids characters (there's actually some in the series, but there are enemies and are not in love with the protagonist).
- Highschool setting.
- Most of characters are 15+.

You can read this at Baka Tsuki.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-02-05 at 12:02.
Old 2012-02-11, 18:36   Link #230
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, after having taken a break (S;G was like the final blow, lol, after having watched it i didn't feel the need to watch anything else) i finally decided to pick on the titles that got suggested so far and make a list of what i'm going to watch:

Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Asura Cryin
Arakawa under the bridge
Sola

In the meantime that i get all those titles, i'm rewatching Mayoi neko overrun because i had forgot the plot, and now notice that it seriously would have been my favorite title(If S;G didn't exist ofc) if it had an ending that could be called so. I might want to read the manga/novel/whatever tho. I find it to be a mix of Toradora(the tsundere in there is like Taiga but with breasts), Zero no Tsukaima(Chise looks like Louise for everything: noble and the same figure/face), and Haruhi Suzumiya(The whole thingie of fucking around with friends in that sort of club).

I don't think i'm going to pick working!! or other titles that contain really little romance or none at all. Romance hunger began again
Old 2012-02-11, 20:09   Link #231
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I gotta warn you though, imo Lunar Legend/Shingetsutan Tsukihime anime is ssllowww and there are some terms which quite confusing if you’re not well versed in Type-Moon’s works (that includes: Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero that you’ve already watched/tried). Also, the animation is not what I call stellar (aka. it’s mediocre at best). My advice, go watch the first two eps and see if you can enjoy it or not.
Old 2012-02-12, 08:56   Link #232
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Oh, i'll take that into account when i watch it then. I thought it would be something like Dance in the vampire bund. Anyways, that comes later

At the moment i'm watching Asura cryin but before continuing, i would like some clarification, because i've been left with many question marks (since i may spoil something, i'm using the spoiler)
Spoiler for .:

Thanks for your answers.
Old 2012-02-12, 10:54   Link #233
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

It is also noted that this anime was based on a light novel series written by Gakuto Mikumo.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-12, 19:17   Link #234
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, i kept on watching and now have an idea of this anime. I finished the first season, and getting the 2nd just because the story got interrupted at half. Thank you for suggesting this title; if it were less confusing and it didn't skip many parts (every episode just seemed to me like it was missing something) i would have enjoyed it more. Anyways, the animation is very good, as well the characters. I can't say much more because i have to see how it evolves and ends, so i'll save my thoughts for when i finish the 2nd season.
Old 2012-02-13, 18:20   Link #235
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Ok, finished watching Asura cryin' and i found the structure of the anime very similar to Steins;Gate
Spoiler for big spoiler about the series:
However, if it wasn't so much confusing and superficial, i would have enjoyed it waaaaaaaaaaaaay more (not on the level of S;G, but still). It was really a pity that i didn't understand a flying fuck till the very last episodes. It was too much fast paced perhaps, or i'm not that sharp to get the REAL meaning of the anime, taking into account just few informations thrown here and there. I'd have rated it a bit more, like 9 or the like, but i couldn't really enjoy it to full because it was too much confusing, and just too dark. An 8 might do it. Btw, loved the character of Shuri/Yukari, whoever she is lol (I know it's yukari, but cmon, stop fucking around with your person ._.)

Now going for Arakawa under the Bridge, and leaving Sola for the next round, or even later (I finished reading Hidan no Aria novel, volume6, and can't wait much to read the 7th)

Thank you for suggesting me these titles so far, i would be pleased if you could bring something else, especially with those new titles that are coming out recently. On AP many titles don't have a synopsis, so it's not like i can make my choices knowingly.

PS
Somewhere else i opened a topic where i was looking for a badass protagonist, but later discovered i had little/zero interest in it. The only one i could really approach was Kaze no Stigma because it contained some romance. Stopped at something like episode 8 or the like because i felt that the streams were just bad. Neither i want to get the whole series, since my PC memory is filling up too fast. I might continue watching it since it was cool.

EDIT
Ahahah rofl, started Arakawa under the bridge, and it just left me a very good impression: first, the story focuses only on the protagonist, just like i wanted it (examples are Kyon from haruhi and Okabe from S;G). It got a bakemonogatari feeling, but looking less dark(i actually can't tell after only one episode, but i feel like it). The animation is kinda serious but the protagonist is fucking cool and funny. I'm already loving it, even if it won't make a big deal out of the romance. This was the kind of protagonist i was looking for.

EDIT2
Finished the 4th episode, and this anime is fucking hilarious. Really, the guy who made it is some kind of genius. This title is just so relaxing, yet has a kinda serious animation, coupled with a protagonist that totally fits my tastes. Oh thank you for this... thing.

EDIT3
Finished the 6th episode, and i'm really liking it. This anime seems light and relaxing and everything, but at the same time deals with the poor life of people really living under a bridge. Our wealthy protagonist is thrown there and has to learn. I like the concept.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-02-14 at 04:55.
Old 2012-02-14, 07:32   Link #236
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Once you finished Arakawa, sola and Tsukihime, you might check these titles I recommended. You could also check a light novel series called Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai : the ongoing 2009 6-volume supernatural romantic comedy centers a highschool student named Ryousuke Kaga who has difficulties to become a romantic gentleman. One raining day, he meet a shinigami girl named Lisara who is avoided by everyone. Because her clothes are wet, Ryosuke asks her to dry her clothes once she is at his home. However, Lisara stabs him for obvious reasons. Ryosuke asks himself his questions why she stabs him and what she wants him. It has :
- Most of the characters are 15+
- Many female characters are supernatural creatures
- Huge loads of ecchiness
- The protagonist go on badass mode as the story progresses
- No human/hybrid characters
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-14, 10:49   Link #237
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished arakawa and i really enjoyed it. It was one of the most particular anime i've ever watched, together with bakemonogatari; i can't think of other words than particular, or weird. It was filled with freaks who were weird untill the very end and even past it. I thought this anime had some meaning, like "The wealthy guy learns the life under bridge and receives a huge life' lesson" but i was wrong: those guys... were just too strange hahaha. All freaks, even the girl was weird but i laughed so much that it made me somehow enjoy this title. It had the kind of humor i usually seek, meaning a cool guy, rational, logical and with a huge good sense: it reminded me a lot of Kyon of Haruhi. The story was left kinda incomplete, but lately i got used to it and i no longer rage at non-ending animes. I actually no longer mind it.

So well, thank you for suggesting me this title; i seriously don't know how this title ever made its apparition in this topic, it may be just luck, but i really liked it. I'd give it a 9+. (PS: note that i wouldn't have liked such plot if the characters weren't like that)

Anyways, i was intrigued by the novel you suggested some posts above, Champione, and even noticed a topic about it aswell, and it took my interest. I will definitely check it out.

The main reason i skipped Kore wa zombie was because i read/heard somewhere that the guy was always obliged to wear a girl's uniform: i'll make it clear, i do not like feminine men, even if they are just obliged or whatever. I can't bear the sight of a man appearing feminine. Men be men, girls be girls. However, if you can confirm that it's just an easily bearable aspect of the anime, i might change idea, since i didn't watch even one episode of it.
Old 2012-02-14, 11:08   Link #238
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
The main reason i skipped Kore wa zombie was because i read/heard somewhere that the guy was always obliged to wear a girl's uniform: i'll make it clear, i do not like feminine men, even if they are just obliged or whatever. I can't bear the sight of a man appearing feminine. Men be men, girls be girls. However, if you can confirm that it's just an easily bearable aspect of the anime, i might change idea, since i didn't watch even one episode of it.
The protagonist wear girls' clothes only during the fight scenes, he isn't feminine outside fights. The series itself has some fights, but it's primarily a decent romantic comedy.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-02-14, 16:57   Link #239
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Arrived at episode 4 of sola... yawning loudly and with an eye closed. I haven't got much else to watch, so i have to stick with it. I'm sure the romance will develop later on, since there are all the premises.

However, if i continue watching it now, i'll fall asleep because i had got used to the tone of Arakawa that wasn't boring at all and always making me laugh (I wish there was some more).

I'll watch a movie and then retire to bed. I'll save Sola for when i'm less likely to fall asleep.
Old 2012-02-15, 19:18   Link #240
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Finished watching Sola and... i disliked it. It actually could have been considerated a good enough romance for the first half of the anime, even if a bit slow paced (let's even say it was fucking slow); however, from episode 9 on, things just degenerated:
Spoiler for my thoughts about the series, contains spoilers:

However, fortunately for me, i noticed there was a 2nd season of Arakawa, and currently getting it. In the meantime i'll watch Lunar legend Tsukihime and see if it does fit or if it isn't for me.

EDIT
Started Lunar legend Tsukihime and i arrived at ep5, and so far i liked it very much; i'm not noticing its slow pace, since probably it isn't boring me at all, so i don't really feel it. It has good characters, some action, a set similar to Dance in the vampire bund(super boy and vampire girl) and even Fortune arterial, but i'm liking it some more. I would probably manage to finish it now, but i don't want to push myself, so i'll continue tomorrow. Once again, so far i really enjoyed it.

Last edited by Classified Info; 2012-02-15 at 21:13.