AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-04, 14:38   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Dubbing of K-On!

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of K-On!.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-03-21 at 23:39.
Old 2010-07-04, 18:04   Link #2
Dark Paladin X

Why do we have this thread? There isn't any confirmation from Bandai that this show is getting dubbed (nor from Eric P. Sherman that this is the Bang Zoom! "other title" that he mentioned). And there could be possibilities that the "other" Bang Zoom! title would either be Durarara!! or other Bandai's titles that have yet to be dubbed (sola, Kannagi, and Hayate the Combat Butler!).

But just to start off...here is what I'm guessing:

Yui Hirasawa- Michelle Ruff
Ritsu Tainaka- Kari Wahlgren
Tsumugi Kotobuki- Wendee Lee
Mio Akiyama- Stephanie Sheh
Azusa Nakano- Laura Bailey
Ui Hirasawa- Hynden Walch
Sawako Yamanaka- Kate Higgins
Nodoka Manabe- Karen Strassman
Old 2010-07-04, 20:32   Link #3
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
English dubs are always good news to me until I hear out some of them... But really, it enables me to show animes to my friends and family because a lot of people don't like reading subs all the time. It's always a good thing to just sit and relax, watch and listen to awesome anime (if it's a good dub) and hit it up a little.
Old 2010-07-05, 04:44   Link #4
BlackKnightKanos
Lord of The Netherealm

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackKnightKanos
Wait, are we talking about the Bang Zoom one aired in Animax or the one yet to be released?
Old 2010-07-05, 07:38   Link #5
twinklestar
anime fanbot..LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackKnightKanos View Post
Wait, are we talking about the Bang Zoom one aired in Animax or the one yet to be released?
The ones by Bang Zoom! and not that Hong Kong english dub by Animax Asia.

Michelle Ruff as Yui Hirasawa?That's kinda odd to be honest though not really a bad choice.

Last edited by twinklestar; 2010-07-05 at 07:44. Reason: aa
Old 2010-07-05, 07:41   Link #6
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Animax and Bang Zoom Entertainment have nothing to do with each other. The Animax dub was done in Hong Kong for the southeastern Asia market. Bang Zoom Entertainment is an ADR company based in the United States; and is considered to be the most likely American dub company to be doing an R1 dub . . . should Bandai actually release K-ON!! as a dub and not a sub-only title.
Old 2010-07-05, 09:10   Link #7
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Yui-chans voice actress has to be as adorably cute as the original in the following scene to pass:

If I was in charge of the auditions.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:34   Link #8
BlackKnightKanos
Lord of The Netherealm

Send a message via Yahoo to BlackKnightKanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Animax and Bang Zoom Entertainment have nothing to do with each other. The Animax dub was done in Hong Kong for the southeastern Asia market. Bang Zoom Entertainment is an ADR company based in the United States; and is considered to be the most likely American dub company to be doing an R1 dub . . . should Bandai actually release K-ON!! as a dub and not a sub-only title.
Mega confused!
Old 2010-07-05, 11:37   Link #9
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Mega confused!
There's a difference in the voice acting in each region. This is why the K-On dub Animax did that we get here on cable is a pile of crap.
Old 2010-07-05, 11:44   Link #10
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
But just to start off...here is what I'm guessing:

Yui Hirasawa- Michelle Ruff
Ritsu Tainaka- Kari Wahlgren
Tsumugi Kotobuki- Wendee Lee
Mio Akiyama- Stephanie Sheh
Azusa Nakano- Laura Bailey
Ui Hirasawa- Hynden Walch
Sawako Yamanaka- Kate Higgins
Nodoka Manabe- Karen Strassman
Uh...I don't think Michelle Ruff would be suitable for Yui because she has a deep voice. I think she would be better playing Mio instead. That's just me anyway. Maybe Yui should be played by Carrie Savage...I guess.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2010-07-05, 12:12   Link #11
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Uh...I don't think Michelle Ruff would be suitable for Yui because she has a deep voice. I think she would be better playing Mio instead. That's just me anyway. Maybe Yui should be played by Carrie Savage...I guess.
She (Michelle Ruff) hasn't voiced too many characters with a cute voice these days, but she has before and I think she can do it again as Yui. Carrie Savage could also voice Yui, but I think she is more suited for Ui.
Old 2010-07-05, 12:14   Link #12
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I think Patricia Ja Lee would do her uber cute Yui's voice, like Patty-chan.
Old 2010-07-05, 14:07   Link #13
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
She (Michelle Ruff) hasn't voiced too many characters with a cute voice these days, but she has before and I think she can do it again as Yui.
Backing on your statement, she does have a large vocal range and Michelle Ruff did a cutesy voice before.

Spoiler for one of other Michelle Ruff's VA works:

Another reason is that despite not being typecast into particular roles, she doesn't seem to have a lot of lead character roles.
Old 2010-07-05, 19:39   Link #14
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

OFFICAL dub from animax lol its okay u just need to get a little used to it okay! not the best.. I want to see what Bandai Dub is going to sound like ---> heres there site http://www.animax-asia.com/k-on

Part 1

please restrain from Facepalming there voices dont sound high pitched lol

Last edited by Afternoon Tea; 2010-07-06 at 15:58.
Old 2010-07-05, 21:40   Link #15
Kudryavka

Did she say "Ittekimasu" or "It's 8 o clock" in the beginning?

The Animax VAs kinda ran over little quirks in the original JPN script, like Yui's "Tch" at Nodoka when she accuses her of being a NEET and Ritsu's rip onomatopoeia when tearing up Mio's club application. I hope the Bandai VAs strive to preserve these, since they help the show's light atmosphere imho.

Other than that, nice dub, though I'm also in the HighpitchedYuiplz club.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2010-07-05 at 22:06.
Old 2010-07-06, 00:27   Link #16
Need More Coffee

In general, Yui's lovable absentminded yet thoughful and lovable stupidity is completely gone in the Animax performance, particularly in the flashback where she begs for icecream.

And the Hong Kong Dub has TOTALLY wrecked Mugi's gentle and beautiful voice.

Let's hope the American dub does a lot better.

Last edited by Need More Coffee; 2010-07-06 at 00:37. Reason: Not going to be a troll... sorry about that.
Old 2010-07-06, 01:57   Link #17
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need More Coffee View Post
In general, Yui's lovable absentminded yet thoughful and lovable stupidity is completely gone in the Animax performance, particularly in the flashback where she begs for icecream.

And the Hong Kong Dub has TOTALLY wrecked Mugi's gentle and beautiful voice.

Let's hope the American dub does a lot better.
I have High Hopes for Bandai Just because they did Lucky Star and haruhi suzumiya, lets go for a 3rd great Dub!
Old 2010-07-06, 02:15   Link #18
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I don't know about Hong Kong dubs, but Hong Kong subs are terrible. It is almost like they translated to Chinese and then translated to English and as a result mesed up almost every pronoun possible or translated proper nouns into there meaning rather than leave them alone (I hate it when a planet or person that is name in the Japanese using an English word gets translated into the Japanese/Chinese word, then translated back into the English meaning of the Japanese/Chinese word...that is no longer the English word the Characters said on screen.) It is very noticable when the Japanese singer is singing in English and the English subtitles don't match the words she's singing. The context of what she is singing is there...but not the words she actually sang...in English.
Old 2010-07-06, 02:20   Link #19
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
Part 1
New character, Rehtsu

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2010-07-06, 05:40   Link #20
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
I remember watching this dub and the voices sound bland to me.