AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-06-20, 14:32   Link #241
GDB

I'm still curious as to the fate of Green Lantern. It was supposed to be a trilogy, and the first movie set up a second one already. Sure, it flopped, but ignore that for a minute. It can't have happened "before" Superman, since that would negate the whole "humans aren't ready for a super being/alien" thing. It shouldn't be after Superman, because otherwise he's a total dick who didn't help stop another city from being destroyed.

Guess the only real answer is "it flopped, so eff it".
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 15:50   Link #242
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I'm still curious as to the fate of Green Lantern. It was supposed to be a trilogy, and the first movie set up a second one already. Sure, it flopped, but ignore that for a minute. It can't have happened "before" Superman, since that would negate the whole "humans aren't ready for a super being/alien" thing. It shouldn't be after Superman, because otherwise he's a total dick who didn't help stop another city from being destroyed.

Guess the only real answer is "it flopped, so eff it".
No. The real answer is that Green Lantern came out before the payoff of doing these mega super hero crossovers became evident with the release of the Avengers. And Man of Steel was mostly done when that came out.

The reason there's no inter-continuity between Man of Steel and Green Lantern, is that they weren't planning for it. It's not like with the Avengers related movies, where everything was preplanned for a crossover since Iron Man.

The lack of anything like this from DC (aside from logo's of Wayne enterprises in Man of Steel) is one of the reasons I don't think a Justice league movie is as viable as Avengers.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 16:34   Link #243
james0246

I will say this, Man of Steel truly delivered on the action. In nearly every respect, the action sequences were superb and heads and tails above any other Superhero action film since at least Hellboy 2 (The Avengers really only had one decent/amazing action sequence, at that was the battle for New York). Sadly, while this is a financially sound selling point to aim for, it is not the best selling point for a potential franchise of pseudo-interconnected superhero tales leading to a grand mash-ups.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-06-20 at 16:50.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 17:11   Link #244
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Sadly, the series already feels spent. Where do you go after a full scale alien invasion that kills hundreds of thousands if not millions of people?
Given how everybody goes after their daily lives with Clark's new gig as a reporter and all, I'm inclined to consider those estimatives gravely exagerated.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-20, 19:03   Link #245
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I will say this, Man of Steel truly delivered on the action. In nearly every respect, the action sequences were superb and heads and tails above any other Superhero action film since at least Hellboy 2 (The Avengers really only had one decent/amazing action sequence, at that was the battle for New York).
I personally thought that kinda made the Avengers a better movie honestly. The super hero action scenes in Man of Steel were impressive, but by the time you get to the end of the movie, they're not really *awing* you anymore. How many times in a row can Superman punch somebody through a building, and it still feel incredible?

I'll be entirely honest. Despite Man of Steel being technically more grandiose than anything in Avengers, I personally don't think anything that happened in that movie was quite as awe inspiring as the "I'm always angry" Part of the Avengers.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
Given how everybody goes after their daily lives with Clark's new gig as a reporter and all, I'm inclined to consider those estimatives gravely exagerated.
That's only because the people writing and directing Man of Steel have the power of authorial fiat to make the Daily Planet fully functionally despite Metropolis being hit by the equivalent of a nuke. People who actually do assessments on damage from natural disasters are probably a pretty good judge of how much damage was done.

And no. Zack Snyder and Nolan and the Man of Steel Writers don't get to pull bullshit on us saying "oh, not that many people were killed!" when they went and animated crowds of little cgi people being lifted up, then thrown to the ground.
Old 2013-06-20, 19:26   Link #246
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

1. Did he or did he not save seven BILLION people?
2. Did he have any control over the location of the battlefield? (Bear in mind that Zod could also fly and was determined to wipe out mankind)
3. When Zod throws Superman through a building, who is responsible for the building collapsing, Superman or Zod?
Old 2013-06-20, 21:39   Link #247
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
1. Did he or did he not save seven BILLION people?
2. Did he have any control over the location of the battlefield? (Bear in mind that Zod could also fly and was determined to wipe out mankind)
3. When Zod throws Superman through a building, who is responsible for the building collapsing, Superman or Zod?
And your point is...what? I'm not seeing how what you're saying has any relevance to my point that this movie had an extremely high death rate compared to the chipper mood of the ending. I don't see what Superman has to do with this (especially since the most casualties occurred when the terraforming engines got thumping).
Old 2013-06-20, 22:04   Link #248
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
And your point is...what? I'm not seeing how what you're saying has any relevance to my point that this movie had an extremely high death rate compared to the chipper mood of the ending. I don't see what Superman has to do with this (especially since the most casualties occurred when the terraforming engines got thumping).
Oh, my apologies.
I guess I lumped you with the folks criticizing Superman for the death-toll-that-nobody-actually-saw.
I see you skipped the middle man and went straight for the creative team as the true perpretators.

In which case, I think you are making a mistake.
You are thinking in terms of superhero movies.
If you think in terms of catastrophe movies, this movie actually pales in comparison with cherful, upbeat movies like Independence Day (where not one but every major city on the planet got vaporized with little to no time to evacuate).

Personaly, I think a couple city blocks in exchange for the salvation of the whole human race was a cheap price to pay.
Old 2013-06-20, 23:39   Link #249
Shyni

But this isn't a catastrophe movie.

Anyway, I'd say the most destruction happened early in the movie with Krypton.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 01:19   Link #250
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Saw it today. Was definitely worth my money at the least, yet it was good too. Good visuals and decent acting. I thought Superman was a bit too quiet for this movie, wasn't very forward/aggressive, but at the same time that's kind how he's supposed to be I guess.

Spoiler for Man of Steel:

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 06:37   Link #251
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post

Anyway, I'd say the most destruction happened early in the movie with Krypton.
Krypton is a doomed planet that simply exploded. Your brain can say that's technically more destruction than on earth, but the human eye watching hundreds of people lifted up into the air, then smashed to the ground, is going to believe differently.

Quote:
Oh, my apologies.
I guess I lumped you with the folks criticizing Superman for the death-toll-that-nobody-actually-saw.
I see you skipped the middle man and went straight for the creative team as the true perpretators.
Exactly

Quote:
Oh, my apologies.
In which case, I think you are making a mistake.
You are thinking in terms of superhero movies.
If you think in terms of catastrophe movies, this movie actually pales in comparison with cherful, upbeat movies like Independence Day (where not one but every major city on the planet got vaporized with little to no time to evacuate).

Personaly, I think a couple city blocks in exchange for the salvation of the whole human race was a cheap price to pay.
It's not so simple as saying that Independence day had a bigger body count. There are more factors at play than that made the level of death in Man of Steel uncomfortable to me.

Sure Independence Day killed allot of people, but it didn't brush it under the rug. After the city gets nuked, allot of attention is paid to shell shocked survivors trying to get going after the attack. There was horrific destruction, but it felt like it was treated as being narrative important. Tell me. Does Man of Steel really linger over just how much destruction the Kryptonians have caused? Not really. Heck. From the audiences perspective, the number of people that Zod murdered is less emotionally important to Superman than the fact that he personally had to kill Zod.

And here's the thing about happy endings in movies where horrible things happen. It's sorta like mourning. A movie needs to give the audience a period to recover and reflect over mass destruction, then it can get on with the triumphant survival/victory aspect of the film. That's why the second half of Independence Day works so well. It's very well crafted to exploit the audiences feelings, since getting to see humans triumph the way they do is uplifting despite everything.

Really. People irked about the death toll aren't really even irked by the death toll in this movie. They're irked that Man of Steel doesn't follow the correct pop corn flick formula for making mass destruction in movies bearable, or giving it the serious/somber focus it deserves. That's why transitioning between Zod/Superman fighting in ground zero of where hundreds of thousands of people died, and Clark happily working at the Daily planet is jarring. Independence Day certainly never tried to show the audience that we went right back to the status quo after all that devestation.

I don't think this was a horrible movie. But some of the things with it were handled quite awkwardly.
Old 2013-06-21, 06:42   Link #252
Tiberium Wolf

I still wonder where is the superman red underwear.
Old 2013-06-21, 07:55   Link #253
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
This. Plus, Independence Day wasn't a launching pad for an entire "universe" of other movies, including a soon to come team-up movie where the stakes will have to be even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I still wonder where is the superman red underwear.
It's gone. He doesn't even have it in the comics anymore.
Old 2013-06-21, 09:55   Link #254
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:

Really. People irked about the death toll aren't really even irked by the death toll in this movie.
Maybe because there was no death toll in this movie?
At least not a remarkable one?
Sure, there is lots of devastation and property damage, but do you actually see "millions" of people dying ANYWHERE on pannel?

No, but you do see the billions who didn't die thanks to this horrific battle.
Old 2013-06-21, 10:36   Link #255
GDB

I saw fewer people not die than people who did. They showed like, 7 people post-battle, yet at least dozens being lifted hundreds of feet in the air and then forcefully slammed back into the pavement.

Seriously, come on. Use critical thinking here. "Oh, they didn't show anyone die, so no one died!" Get real.
Old 2013-06-21, 11:05   Link #256
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Maybe because there was no death toll in this movie?
At least not a remarkable one?
Sure, there is lots of devastation and property damage, but do you actually see "millions" of people dying ANYWHERE on pannel?
Oh right. So ONLY hundreds of thousands of people were killed. I guess that makes it not that big of a deal. I guess we don't have to pay one little bit of attention to how horrific any of this is supposed to be.
Quote:
No, but you do see the billions who didn't die thanks to this horrific battle.
This seems to be a big case of "not getting the point." The problem isn't that horrific events happened in the story. The problem is that the narrative of the story doesn't seem to understand just how bad what happened was. Despite flaunting it right in our faces.

Heck. An interview by the screenwriter of Man of Steel kinda stresses how out of it the screenwriters were.

Quote:
“One of the things we were hoping to depict is that Superman is not a god. We say he’s a god-like figure but he’s not omnipotent. Even in the comic books he cannot save everyone. I think people die [in Metropolis]. Clearly hundreds if not thousands of people have died while the gravity machines are going off. There were probably even people who died in Smallville.
Really? Hundreds? You think you can grind the center of a modern metropolis into paste like that and maybe only kill hundreds of people?

Man. This entire line of thought reminds me of why I have such respect for allot of 80's sci-fi anime. Those series didn't shy away from how horrific these kind of large scale events are. Legend of Galactic Heroes did it best.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just the shows little reminder that in those massive fleet battles involving tens of thousands of vessels, that every-time you see some spark of light in the distance, this is happening.
Old 2013-06-21, 11:30   Link #257
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Oh right. So ONLY hundreds of thousands of people were killed..
Even if hundreds of thousands died (which they didn't, unless you saw something nobody else saw happening on-panel)....

... Would you rather he did nothing and just stand to the side chewing gum as as 7 BILLION people die?
Old 2013-06-21, 11:34   Link #258
GDB

Again, you're completely missing the point. The original point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246
Sadly, the series already feels spent. Where do you go after a full scale alien invasion that kills hundreds of thousands if not millions of people?
And stop saying "on panel" as if you have to see it happen right in front of you to know it happened (it's also on-screen, since this isn't a comic book). It's already been outlined why your thinking is flawed.
Old 2013-06-21, 11:38   Link #259
Sumeragi
Banned

Not to join the discussion given that I haven't seen either movie, but this was funny:

Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-21, 11:46   Link #260
GDB

HA! Priceless. Best part is I can totally read "Stark" in RDJ's voice, but cannot do the same for Supes.