AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2019-09-27, 14:00   Link #21
Kurohane

Man, a few here are so cynical. As if one person is solely responsible for a show's quality.
Old 2019-09-27, 15:12   Link #22
LG-MAX 2.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
Wasn't the writer Makoto Fukami? He worked in the Sinners films and season 1
And co-wrote the 2015 movie as well.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 17:22   Link #23
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

From what I've read so far, "I saw on the official website that Tow Ubukata is the series composer with him, Makoto Fukami and Ryo Yoshigami writing the scripts." Urobuchi is not here. Fukami also happened to write the novelization from season 1 and the manga prequel focused on Kogami's work as an inspector
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 17:32   Link #24
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Let's be frank. Noone hoped for Urobuchi being involved. Having at least Fukami on board is better than nothing but Ubukata being in helm of the story is still worrying.

I am not as cricical about S2 as most of the people but I still do not like what he made with the story. He is bad at writing good characters, regretfully.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-27, 18:30   Link #25
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't know why they didn't let Fukami be the main writer. Was season 2 actually well received in Japan?

To add to the injury, they actually have Mika as the supervisor this season.
Old 2019-09-27, 18:39   Link #26
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't know why they didn't let Fukami be the main writer. Was season 2 actually well received in Japan?

Psycho-Pass II was written solely by Tow Ubukata. Fukami touched season 1, the first movie, the Sinners of the System, the novels and a manga. II barely felt like an excuse to make extra money in Japan considering Urobuchi had already conceived the idea for the 2015 movie before season 2 was greenlighted.

Also, Mika happens to be the protagonist of the first Sinners movie alongside Ginoza. Let's hope Mika changed for good or something in that movie. The staff stated in a book titled Official Profile that they are aware that Mika is hated by the fandom but they instead love her for that. I don't know too much about Ubukata but it seems he liked Akane based on that interview. Guess they decided to leave her a break after two seasons and the movie.
Old 2019-09-28, 05:50   Link #27
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurohane View Post
Man, a few here are so cynical. As if one person is solely responsible for a show's quality.
Agreed, if we criticise him for the poor season 2 then we can also praise him for his other works such as Heroic Age, Fafner EXODUS and Chevalier d'Eon. He definitely has it in him to write great anime.

The issue I have with this season isn't the writer but that we're not following Akane, Ginoza and Kogami, although who knows maybe I'll end up liking this team more.
Old 2019-09-28, 08:07   Link #28
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

S2 faired worse than S1 but not as bad as Western audience think. Commercially it faired the same as most of second seasons for moderately sucessful anime (around 40-50 percent drop in disk sales and not much drop in other merchandise sales).

And yeah, having Mika in the spotlight bothers me also. I am the one of people who especially hate her. Doubly so bcause she is voiced by one of my favourite seiyuus.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2019-09-28 at 12:18.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-28, 11:57   Link #29
Dark Wing

Yea I thinking of skipping this one too. I'll marathon it after it's finish but I'm not hyped enough to watch it weekly...
Old 2019-09-30, 17:09   Link #30
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Yea I thinking of skipping this one too. I'll marathon it after it's finish but I'm not hyped enough to watch it weekly...
I'll probably watch it when it's over too, unless reception is really bad.

The movies aren't even subbed anyway, and as was pointed out earlier, one of them focused on Mika who is in this season so it feels like it's necessary to watch it.
Old 2019-09-30, 18:04   Link #31
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
The issue I have with this season isn't the writer but that we're not following Akane, Ginoza and Kogami, although who knows maybe I'll end up liking this team more.
With how non-existent season 2 was, this is a good thing. Doesn't mean the end product will be good, but it's still a good thing.

That said, I was hoping for an ENTIRELY new team. Mika + new team is bad.

I'll probably watch it still, because if I can watch the train wreck that was PP2, Index III, and Accelerator, I can watch this. Doesn't mean I'll retain it or even consider it to be canon/true to the original story (in the sense that if I recommend the series to anyone, I already say don't bother with season 2 and the movie is eh).
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-30, 18:14   Link #32
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I'll most likely watch it, though I have my doubts over whether I will stick with it to the end or even recommend it to someone.
Old 2019-10-04, 12:38   Link #33
Irenesharda

Season 2 was okay to me, I never hated as much as others. It wasn't as good as season 1, but I've seen much worse.

I didn't know there were so many movies to this franchise. Is it okay to go into the 3rd season without seeing them?

It's kind of weird seeing an all-new team with the only characters that returned being Shion, the extremely unpleasant Mika, and the tech whose name I forgot, but is voiced by the same guy as Makishima for no good reason.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-05, 03:22   Link #34
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
I didn't know there were so many movies to this franchise. Is it okay to go into the 3rd season without seeing them?
No. Watching these movies are necessary to understand that will occur in this new season.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 00:18   Link #35
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Season 2 was okay to me, I never hated as much as others. It wasn't as good as season 1, but I've seen much worse.
I just can't consider an entire season that has no actual impact on anything to be even okay. You can skip it and not lose out on anything (currently, unless it gets hard referenced somehow by the mini movie trilogy or season 3).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
No. Watching these movies are necessary to understand that will occur in this new season.
They're actually necessary? Well damn, guess we gotta hope they get subbed soon then.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-06, 19:10   Link #36
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Guess several of us here won't be able to pick the season up yet, unless the movies get subbed soon.
Old 2019-10-20, 23:44   Link #37
saya_leviathan

^ The first two are subbed and available on YouTube. Idk if they're still working on the third one.

BTW, here's OP
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Akane is around 0:27 while Ginoza and Teppei are at 1:00 followed by Kougami and Akane. At least, we now know that they're going to be in Season 3 in some way. BTW, the last shot of the opening really reminded me of Pulp Fiction.

Here's also the preview.
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Spoiler for spoiler:
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-21, 00:28   Link #38
Kurohane

^ thanks for the info, saya leviathan. Whew, crap is going down now.
Old 2019-10-25, 08:44   Link #39
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
What was the last one again BTW? The South-east Asian fiasco where Sybil oppression somehow got exported there? Or was that movie slightly earlier....

Gonna watch Sinners of the System next week and I can't recall any other movie besides this and the SEA one
Old 2019-10-25, 13:12   Link #40
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Just watched the first episode. Interesting change of lead character. Shindo has a sense of justice but he is chill as heck. Almost like Sora from Kingdom Hearts except Shindo is in a really dark world with really complicated rules. Mika seems to be a bit more of a comic relief in this episode considering how she handles the two new inspectors. Looks like we'll have to wait to see what happened to Akane but I also wonder about Kogami too. Check his Sinners of the System cos it explains why he is in the opening.

Does anybody know if this season is weekly or biweekly? The opening will be released in late November though