AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you like the amnesia trope?
I hate it 8 14.81%
So-so 6 11.11%
I like it 3 5.56%
I don't care 9 16.67%
It depends on... (state reason) 20 37.04%
rori, cut the BS polls already 8 14.81%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-05-03, 16:15   Link #21
Velsy

They use it in movies tooo..

*ahem* Borne Idenity ? etc etc

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-03, 16:45   Link #22
Ballad
robots & skateboards

Weird, the only anime I've ever watched where it was a big part would be Elfen Lied. Then again I haven't watched much anime.
Old 2010-05-04, 07:27   Link #23
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

Yes, well, that was one of the times it was used exceptionally well, in my opinion. Part of the reason the movies were so riveting was that you (the viewer) didn't know what was really going on half the time.
Old 2010-05-04, 12:48   Link #24
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
I don't know how much you liked Shutter Island (2010 movie with Brad Pitt Leonardo Dicaprio) but the explanation at the end was too long and it felt like an ass pull.

On the other hand Ink (psychedelic/mystery movie) played quite nicely with the trope.

Last edited by roriconfan; 2010-05-04 at 16:34.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-04, 16:24   Link #25
ZeroForever

Shutter Island - that was Leonardo Dicaprio... not Brad Pitt.. and it was damn obvious (at least to me... after like 10 mins that it was going to end like it did, only other end could be that he was sane but that wasn't likely.)

It's can be done well (eden of the east) but situations like to aru index are times it felt like a crappy plot device. so honestly it depends on it's presented.
Old 2010-06-26, 06:37   Link #26
kitten320

Duno, I adore memory loss moments. always get me hyped. Of course some do it worse than others but still interesting in my opinion.

ZeroForever
So was he really just a patient? Because I got lost there...
Old 2010-06-26, 07:28   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Amnesia is fairly common in fiction because it can:

1) Lead to memorable "Luke, I am your father!" plot twists ( hypothetical example - man loses his memory, becomes a great and powerful antagonist, ends up fighting against his own daughter who's the main protagonist, and neither are aware of their relation... until the man gets his memory back in one of the very last episodes).

2) Allow you to temporarily reveal a secret to characters that need to have it revealed to them for plot purposes, but then restore the secrecy for future plot purposes (Men In Black is famous for this)

3) Lead to good comedy moments (guy suffering from amnesia does something that he would never have done if he had his memories, and this later results in him facepalming Kyon-style about it).

So amnesia can be an useful plot device for writer's aiming for memorable plot twists, who need to temporarily let certain characters in on secrets, or who are aiming for good comedy moments. In some cases, it can also add an interesting wrinkle to the start of a story.

I will say that I generally don't like it when the main protagonist of a work gets amnesia part way through the story. But like others here, I have less of an issue with it if the main protagonist (or another central character) has amnesia from the very beginning of a story, and that's a core element of the plot.

Amnesia is probably a tad overused because it's such a quick and easy and convenient and well-known plot device. It's kind of like how writers use time travel in stories. It opens up quick and easily accessible plot and character development routes for writers; routes that might otherwise be difficult if not impossible to achieve.
Old 2010-06-26, 07:34   Link #28
roriconfan
Banned

Angel Beats and Durarara had amnesia too. Durarara used it as motivation for the biker girl to DO something. Parlty excused yet still overused. Angel Beats on the other hand... messed up. The lead could still have his memories and nothing would change plot wise.
Old 2010-06-26, 08:02   Link #29
kitten320

If he had his memories, he wouldn't be in that world in the first place. So a LOT of things would change.
Old 2010-06-26, 09:26   Link #30
roriconfan
Banned

^ How's so?
Old 2010-06-26, 11:17   Link #31
kitten320

Don't you think it's a dumb question? Do I really have to explain about how show would be different if main character wasn't in it?

Spoiler for Angel Beats in more deph:
Old 2010-06-26, 15:38   Link #32
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
I can't believe Bourne Identity was used as an example of a badly executed ANYTHING
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 17:11   Link #33
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post

Except it was used well in that movie trilogy (at least in my opinion). It helped intensify the movies and moved the plot in a very well structured way; First movie (Who am I?), second movie (What did I do?), and last movie (How do I escape what I am/what I've done?).
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-26, 18:52   Link #34
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Any trope can be used badly or well. I don't think it's particularly overused, but it can definitely be one of the worst tropes if done badly.

Bourne trilogy is an example of it being used well.

On the other hand, we get something like Toaru majutsu no index that uses it as if almost for the lolz only.

It usually tends to come off badly if placed in the middle/end of the story. But in the end, it's usually the details around the amnesia that will make or break the story.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-28, 16:59   Link #35
Miyumi-chan

The amnesia routine is so overused now. I read things with it. Whenever I see someone in a show with amnesia, it depends on how well it's used. Like in Sukisyo, when Sora fell out of the window and couldn't remember Sunao, it fit the plot where-as in Vampire Knight, is there really a reason Yuki forgot her parents? Of course I haven't gotten far so I don't really know. They forget everything and can't even try to remember a thing...but as I said, in some cases, it's cool ^^ I do kinda like it.
Miyumi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote