AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-05-22, 21:23   Link #41
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The purpose of high school is (or rather should be, perhaps) not to transform you into a working member of the society, but rather, to teach you how to think. That's what my high school (the most prestigious public high school of Argentina) taught me, among lots of other stuff. Once you learn how to think, the approach on whatever course you pursue in university will be much different. Now that I'm at the university (no college here), I've met lots of other people who come from crappy high schools, and I swear for the love of Jebus, they can't think. I'm coursing with a girl who also comes from my high school, and we both agreed on the same point. The difference was astounding.

Maybe I'm being a bit elitist here, but that's how I see it.
Not just that, but it teaches how people interact. I won't elaborate, because that is simply your entire paragraph replaced by "interact with people". I took a few pre-college summer courses before, and my roommate...god...I can't imagine him working with anyone in a group.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 22:29   Link #42
Silver Dragon
SHOW DOWN
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Silver Dragon
It's better than middle school, I had a pretty rough time last year though since my parents divorced, but now that I'm with my mom its ok. I miss my friends from back home though (What friends I actually have)
Silver Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 00:20   Link #43
slayer
essense

Send a message via MSN to slayer
High school can be summarized in two words. Fun. Easy. I hardly study for tests and exams and I do excellent on them. High school is easily the best years of your life because you will have soo much free time. Highschool is where people are shaped for the future. High school determines either if you are a loser gangster wannabe who acts tough and gets 30 percent in every course or a successful person transitioning to post secondary. This is what I saw in my highschool life.
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 00:32   Link #44
snowmaiden05
frozen in time

Send a message via Yahoo to snowmaiden05
hnn.. i just graduated this year and i'll be 1st year college this coming school year.. well, i find my high school days very fun and exciting.. considering i met people whom i consider as close friends and we went through all those years together, it's so heartwhelming.. o.O i can still remember our graduation night.. *sigh* miss them so much.. x.X
snowmaiden05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 01:03   Link #45
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
As much trouble I had gotten into in high school, it wasn't so bad. A little in the boring side since all the classes were easy, but the up side to it was I had more free time to do some of the things I wanted... Like surf the internet while nearly everyone else had to finish up their homework or tests, roam the halls and even drop by and participate in other classes that I liked, depending on which hour/period I'm in at that current time because some teachers were pretty cool like that. Of course, back then, that was fine and dandy since you really didn't have as much responsibilities as you thought you did in comparison to when you legally become and adult. Sure you were more restricted regarding leaving classes at your leisure and without warning, but all you had to worry about was mostly homework, tests and projects... and sports or any other activities if you had them...

Now, college may allow you more free will about your classes, but you're burdened with more responsibilities and that may even include having a job to juggle along with classes that it may even force you to sacrifice your social life. Of course, for most of us (or at least I hope so), we're more mature and disciplined now, and we're able to set priorities that we know will help us in the long run.
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 06:35   Link #46
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Considering you just said that anyone who didn't go to your school couldn't think at your level, yes, that is exactly what you're being.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 17:44   Link #47
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
The purpose of high school is (or rather should be, perhaps) not to transform you into a working member of the society, but rather, to teach you how to think. That's what my high school (the most prestigious public high school of Argentina) taught me, among lots of other stuff. Once you learn how to think, the approach on whatever course you pursue in university will be much different. Now that I'm at the university (no college here), I've met lots of other people who come from crappy high schools, and I swear for the love of Jebus, they can't think. I'm coursing with a girl who also comes from my high school, and we both agreed on the same point. The difference was astounding.

I disagree (though maybe that's just due to my experiences, as well as the minor fact that we live in different countries).

High school teaches you how to regurgitate information -- history dates, algebraic equations, and teaches you how to fit into society.

College is where you learn how to think for yourself, as you meet people from other places, who have different upbringings and as a result approach things with a different attitude that makes you question your own beliefs as you compare them with new ones.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 19:53   Link #48
Korean_boi
BBOY

Send a message via AIM to Korean_boi
highschool is tons of fun!!!

varsity football is tons of fun, varsity basketball is tons of fun, varsity track is tons of fun

but... i still have about 2 more years of it...
good thing i can drive. skipping classes to go to the mall is always the break i need from 7 ap classes.
Korean_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 23:22   Link #49
Gemstar
Banned

High school was TERRIBLE. no friends, always books, parents argue at you for doing bad etc etc WOW. at least it's better out of high school. ONE DOWN no books....
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 23:49   Link #50
asandari

High school was average. I had no trouble with it, but not much fun either.

I blame my anti-social attitude.

I mean... fear of peers.

I did enjoy thinking over some basic scientific concepts (I'm stupid enough that easy to understand things can intrigue me indefinitely. Such as, the law of inertia.)
asandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-30, 23:54   Link #51
Honda Boy Techy
I has a Civic

High School was OK for me but my High School had almost 3/4 of the city so we had a shit load of people I wish I didn't have to go with. Any way I had a bunch of friends that I had fun with and class was relatively easy. I miss many of my friends from high school but college has gained me new friends and there is a whole lot less rift raft in there now since most of the people actually want to be there.

Basically it's like my brother put it so well.

I miss High School but I sure as hell wouldn't wanna go back.
Honda Boy Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 03:46   Link #52
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

High school was the best part of my life! We were only 16 people in our class and I can tell you that a small class means a very friendly environment. Also, almost the entire school envied us, because we had a very nice form teacher (I think this is the right word.)
For three years we did nothing but played cards, ate pizzas and did other stupid and funny things. ... God I miss those days!

... Comrade feels much better now ...
Old 2007-08-31, 05:45   Link #53
mrvetle

Last edited by mrvetle; 2008-07-02 at 20:34.
mrvetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 05:59   Link #54
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by asandari View Post
High school was average. I had no trouble with it, but not much fun either.

I blame my anti-social attitude.

I mean... fear of peers.

I did enjoy thinking over some basic scientific concepts (I'm stupid enough that easy to understand things can intrigue me indefinitely. Such as, the law of inertia.)
Heh, High School is boring for me right now (I enjoy home more)... And I have the same anti-social attitude as you

@WanderingKnight:

I think there are more factors contribute to that though, instead of simply being school. For example, the Internet actually taught me more about "thinking" than school. In my opinion, it's more about your experience in life and the effort you put into your awareness (of your surroundings, of the things you do, etc.) Thus, in that way, school is just one of the factors, and ultimately, experience, you have. Furthermore, everyone has different surrounding, experience, way of thinking; that's why everyone is unique [though sometime it's hard to notice].

Anyway, sorry for being off-topic

Overall, school does help me gaining precious materials for my knowledge (some are just plain pains, and I forget a lot of them as soon as school ended). Otherwise, I appreciate the brain works I'm forced to do. (Constant or daily brain exercise does help you, I've seen it on someone else) ... I spent most of the time at school kinda half-asleep, though, by going to bed late or pulling all-nigher. For some reason, for whatever I do, I never managed to go to sleep earlier... (I blame that partially to anime)

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 09:53   Link #55
Kyomi
What do I know?

My High School for me was sleeping during class, playing PSO at night.

But the time I did spend awake was pretty much average like stated by others, I could have done better in the social rankings if I tried, but I got stuck pretty much in the middle.
Kyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 13:10   Link #56
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
ahh, Highschool, Hated it all the way through . . .

College is so much better. In highschool there were no such things as CG aniamtion or classes on Programs like Maya. Now in Colege I can learn what I really enjoy and be with people who have similar interests
Me too, High School seemed like a waste of time. They do prepare you for college though, but you can't really study because of all the social things going on. High School overall lacked my interests. Pfftt, especially public high schools. Well I guess they have to keep these underage adults around for a purpose.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 13:22   Link #57
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

High school was difficult for me. I didn't take the placement tests so they placed me in basic classes. I suppose the teachers figured I had something resting on my shoulders because they put me into academic classes after a few days. Although, that's not to say I lived happily ever after, that would be very far from what happened. Teenagers are not exactly the most open-minded group of people, so you can imagine what they thought of a person who was quiet and preferred darker colors in his clothing. Hahaha, it's actually very funny, I was accused of being a Columbine-type school shooter by a few imbeciles in my class. -_- I became so frustrated with the harassment I received on a daily basis, so I stopped going to classes during the first semester of my senior year. Took home schooling for the last semester and now I'm just trying to find my place in this chaotic world we live in.
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 14:10   Link #58
Zennifa
*insert cool title here*

Hmm....Well, Idk. My four years of high school were at best weird. I was on the poms team which was fun, I also have an identical twin sister so I guess everyone knew us, but I always felt like I didn't really fit in that well. I wasn't in the "popular group" because I didn't like to party or do anything like drinking or smoking etc. and I felt like all the other girls were way more "grown up" than me because I've always been short and looked young for my age, which makes it awkward say, in gym class to be changing with the rest of the girls orr like swim class etc. crap that was embarassing! Plus it was co-ed swim class.

Most of my friends were less "popular" guys like guys from football or wrestling or band class who were nice and pretty fun to hang out with. Girls as friends ended up being girls who were a grade lower than me and on the cheer team....I guess our group all hung out together, which was nice. I don't think I had any girl friends in my same grade at all.

I guess all in all school was pretty much not bad, except I'd be extremely nervous around anyone who was "popular" and I always felt like I didn't fit in with people, Plus the only classes I liked were the art & creative ones which no one I was friends with was interested in...and since I was on poms no one in the art classes thought I was the "type" to be in things like that.

Junior year was really messed up for me because my whole family went through some crazy things, parents got divorced and we moved so I went to a new school where I immediately became "friends" with the school's senior basketball team captain, so me & my sister went to sit at their lunch table at school and his friends hated it- especially the girls. They ended up planning some messed up thing where the guys invited us to some halloween excursion to go to haunted houses which was really them getting us to their house & trying "things" which we rejected (what douchebags guys are) so we got discluded from that lunch table pretty fast.

Soo once again feeling weird and not fitting in- we both dropped out of school and turned to bad things- raves- parties- drinking- blah blah blah, all my friends after that were "freaks" (like the social label, colored hair, piercings etc.) who went to all the same parties and all that stuff. That lasted for about half a year, then we went back to our old high school, I decided I wanted to graduate on time (somehow we got accepted back in.) I had to drive almost an hour every day from my newer house to my old school & we had to do stacks and stacks of work that was missed while being gone, I eventually got all caught up, but had to take night school classes too, to catch up on credits to be able to graduate on time with the rest of my original class, which I did.

All my old friends stopped talking to me at school after I came back because they heard about me dropping out and partying, and looked down on me for it, so I only still talked to my party friends (who didn't go to that school) and pretty much no one else except like maybe one person from each class I was in. So by the time graduation day came I was extremely happy to be done with all that mess.

Well, that was long winded hahah. Sorry, I got on a roll of memories I guess.
Zennifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 14:24   Link #59
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifa View Post

Soo once again feeling weird and not fitting in- we both dropped out of school and turned to bad things- raves- parties- drinking- blah blah blah, all my friends after that were "freaks" (like the social label, colored hair, piercings etc.) who went to all the same parties and all that stuff. That lasted for about half a year, then we went back to our old high school, I decided I wanted to graduate on time (somehow we got accepted back in.) I had to drive almost an hour every day from my newer house to my old school & we had to do stacks and stacks of work that was missed while being gone, I eventually got all caught up, but had to take night school classes too, to catch up on credits to be able to graduate on time with the rest of my original class, which I did.

All my old friends stopped talking to me at school after I came back because they heard about me dropping out and partying, and looked down on me for it, so I only still talked to my party friends (who didn't go to that school) and pretty much no one else except like maybe one person from each class I was in. So by the time graduation day came I was extremely happy to be done with all that mess.

Well, that was long winded hahah. Sorry, I got on a roll of memories I guess.
Sounds as if you had a decent time. :P And your old friends weren't really your friends if they looked down at you for your partying. High school is superficial at best..
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 14:30   Link #60
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

High school was pretty interesting. First, I was never part of the "in" crowd, but I was able to get along with, almost, anyone.

In grade 9 (high school in New Brunswick starts at grade 9), I found classes fun. I took the regular classes: English, math, Social Studies, art, gym, music, Computer Tech., French (grade 9 and 10), and Science. It was a lot of fun. I had an interesting group of friends who were all into anime. They brought me to UNB (University of New Brunswick) to the Saturday night "anime." This is where I learned a lot more about anime in general.

In grade 10, I started off in NB but in November of that year, I moved and attended the rest of grade 10 in Alliston, Ontario. That school was huge! It had over 2500 students crammed into a school that should have had only 1500. At any rate, it was difficult at first to find friends because I entered 3/4 of the way through semester one. My English teacher threw this project on me that all the students started at the beginning of the semester. Anyways, it was not bad. I eventually found friends who were also into anime. This is when I got to attend "Anime North" in Toronto for my first time. I took: English, Math, Canadian History, Science, French (11), Computer Science (11), Career Studies, Civics, and Art.

In grade 11, I was transferred to a new school in Barrie, Ontario. This was an exciting move as I got to go to a brand new school. It was different and gaining acquaintances was easier in this environment as most students were "uprooted" and moved to this new school. I had some of my friends from grade 10 and met new ones as well. My friends began to range from anime otaku to regular classmates. I took: Accounting, Business, Graphic Design, Marketing, Math, American History, English, and Peer Tutoring (kind of like Co-op).

In grade 12, I moved to Petawawa, Ontario to finish out my education in a smaller school - population 500. I went through many hoops to complete my education here and it ended up taking an extra year in order to complete my studies as some courses were not offered in certain years or were offered the same time as other courses. Thus, in my first year I took: Finite Math, Law, History, and English. My second year I took Co-op (Teaching - Biology and Computer Science), Computer Science, and Calculus. I found a small group of friends that were into anime here as well. By this point in time, however, I lost contact with many of my friends in my other moves.

I hope that was not too boring! lol
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote