AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-06-07, 14:15   Link #1
Arwyn

Review Forum

Just as a thought, since I see a lot of the same questions about series coming up again and again in the suggestsions forum, would it be a good idea to have a section for just reviews of titles?

If you had just reviews, and restricted the "omg this series suxxors" commentary, I think this might be a help for folks who are looking for or at new series.

Just an idea.....
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 14:29   Link #2
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Hmmm ... I think the general anime forums seems to be doing a good enough job.

Plus if I was looking for a review I wouldn't mind hearing both sides. "omg teh anime suxxors" seems like a stupid and pointless comment ... but it doesn't come out of nowhere ya know. It's a liner so it's easy to skip passed anyway. Should be kept in the back of the head as "hmmm well that guys obviously didn't like it. Means it might be an accuired taste."
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 14:34   Link #3
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Hmmm ... I think the general anime forums seems to be doing a good enough job.
Well the general forum is usually spoiler filled and discussed single episodes as such.

It's not a bad idea, we make review threads in which certain finished anime can get a review. However NO DISCUSSION should be allowed in this thread, ONLY reviews. Everyone can then post his review in terms of animation, sound story and characters and avoid spoilers.
Obviously 2 line reviews should be deleted.

We can then add a sticky to the suggestions forum to keep track of the several reviews threads (like the sticky in the fansub forum)

I really like the idea, it would help since right now I have to tell over and over again what I think about anime X.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 14:36   Link #4
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
It's not a bad idea, we make review threads in which certain finished anime can get a review. However NO DISCUSSION should be allowed in this thread, ONLY reviews.
I think discussion about reviews is not only important, but necessary. I've often times gotten a much deeper understanding of a show after someone talks to me about a review I've written.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 14:38   Link #5
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I believe he meant real reviews that are about a few hundred words long and are about a page and a half or more, not some stupid fanboys saying "This is the bestestest anime EVAR!!!111onehundredthousand!!!111!!".

Those people just say it's good with no supporting details, and some people can do a second or third opinion or peopple with different tastes. I mean, who would want to download an anime for so long and not get intrested in it, but hate it? This could be a guide to help the person choose an anime.

Note: you do not have to watch all of the anime, just a part of it and have a chance to update your opinion later when you see more.

But, of course, we won't be legends in the anime reviewing business. We can't compare againt these guys. (Note: he word makes up 3 different links.)

Edit: New link added.

Last edited by OutPhase; 2004-06-07 at 17:50.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 15:18   Link #6
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
I think discussion about reviews is not only important, but necessary. I've often times gotten a much deeper understanding of a show after someone talks to me about a review I've written.
I know discussion is important as well but we should discuss the anime in a different thread. If we put both the reviews and the discussion in the same thread, then no new reviews will be added and we would get the exact same threads as the ones in the fansub forum thus completely nullyfying the purpose of these kinda threads.

Discussion is important but do it in the fansub forum, not in the review threads, otherwise these threads will become unorganised and filled with alot of comments which aren't reviews.

A review in my opinion is an (more or less) in depth opinion of all aspects of an anime you just saw. Having 1 thread which holds several reviews by different people allready opens a wide perspective about the strong and weak points of a certain anime. Discussion of these can be done in the fansub forum.

also I don't think we need a different forum for these reviews but threads and a sticky to keep track of them in the suggestions forum should do fine.
Old 2004-06-07, 15:20   Link #7
aahhsin

I like the idea, but it seems really hard to organize. Think about it. After 1 review, then 2 weeks later when it gets knocked off the first page, someone is going to make another post on the same anime.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 15:43   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
I know discussion is important as well but we should discuss the anime in a different thread. If we put both the reviews and the discussion in the same thread, then no new reviews will be added and we would get the exact same threads as the ones in the fansub forum thus completely nullyfying the purpose of these kinda threads.
I'm not talking about anime discussion, I'm talking about having people criticizing the reviews and general discussion about the reviews. Constructive criticism and pointing out things that the person writing the review got wrong should be allowed.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 15:53   Link #9
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Quote:
I'm not talking about anime discussion, I'm talking about having people criticizing the reviews and general discussion about the reviews. Constructive criticism and pointing out things that the person writing the review got wrong should be allowed.
which could easily lead to flaming if done improperly... some people take constructive criticism well but others do not. If there was some way of screening each review/post before they are officially posted then this might work. If not, then any banana brain (the average Naruto fan for example) won't hesitate in starting up a flame war to defend their favorite anime...

but this type of screening would mean appointing one or a few people to read and approve reviews...

we could also provide some basic guidelines for reviews (no flaming of other reviewers, meaningful and constructive postings, etc.. ) I dunno... but it sounds pretty cool...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 15:55   Link #10
7thMethuselah

Quote:
i consider reviews to be a personal opinion, thus you can't really point out what the other says wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaahsin
I like the idea, but it seems really hard to organize. Think about it. After 1 review, then 2 weeks later when it gets knocked off the first page, someone is going to make another post on the same anime.
That's why I also proposed to add a sticky to the forum to keep track of which anime allready have a review thread, kinda like the sticky in the fansub forum which keeps track of the series discussion right now
Old 2004-06-07, 16:09   Link #11
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

I'll work something out in the Suggestions forum.
Old 2004-06-07, 16:13   Link #12
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Ofcourse a review can be critisized. I read a very negatice Naruto review where at the end you find out she only watched 13 episodes.

I agree with dragonz20 100% ... I would definately point out the faults with some of the reviews if I found they are simply misinforming and not opinions at all, which would naturally lead to a flame war.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 16:30   Link #13
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

Quote:

I feel that most of us are mature enough to write some good reviews. Maybe, we should add some sort of rating scale 5 stars being the best and 1 being the worst. If we do put a review section I think we should remember that we are only writing a review/ or criticizing that anime not on what the other person wrote.

I like witing reviews about certain animes I've seen. Heck, this would be a big help for me to decide which anime to watch. I would love to see a Anime Review section.

Last edited by Cammie; 2004-06-07 at 17:06.
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 16:52   Link #14
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
I feel that most of us are mature enough to write some good reviews. Maybe, we should add some sort of rating scale 5 stars being the best and 1 being the worst. If we do put a review section I think we should remember that we are only writing a review/ or criticizing that anime not what the the other person wrote.
Giving points is not a bad idea but you should define the value of the points in advance, like 1 = very bad, 2 = bad, 3 = average, 4 = good, 5 = excellent. I think if you do not do this people will tend to give either very high or very low scores, which would make the entire purpose of giving points useless (see at animeNfo for example).
Old 2004-06-07, 17:06   Link #15
Arwyn

Hmm, good discussion.

Ideally, a good review thread should let folks cover what they think are the signifigant aspects of the title, good or bad. Anyone could post a review, but if there were a sticky at the beginning that explained what was expected of a review, I think that would be sufficient. If everyone had a clear cut idea of what was exected in a review thread, I think the rest would fall into place pretty easily. If not, the mods here do a pretty good job of policing the forums and keeping the trolls in check.

Basically the review is there to allow folks to find out more about a title and see if its something they might like. Several reviews over the same title pointing out different things would give most readers a much better idea what a title is about.

Even if it was something semi-formal like;

Title- self explanatory
Genre- action/romance/echhi/comedy/horror/mystery ect.......
Brief Description- what the basic storyline is about.
Similar titles- Is there a similar series?

Then follow it with the "opinion" portion
Stong Points- whats good about the title
Weak Points- whats bad about it
Summary- and this is the overall opinion of the anime by the reviewer.

I dont think it needs to be anything overly formal, but it should let folks say "I liked/disliked this title and here are the reasons why....".

As far as restricting things, I should have been more specific. IMO, the best use of a review thread would be for folks looking at titles and trying to get more info. No spoilers, no "naruto is better" responses, no commentary, just reviews. Thats not to say folks should not be able to respond, but they should respond in kind. So if you disagree with review A, they write review B, and demonstrate WHY you disagree by explaining it in the review.

Like I said, it doesnt need to be a big drawn out thing, but it would be nice to have something availible, so the next time a thread starts "Looking for...." you could say "look at these titles, and check the review threads for X, Y, and Z"

Old 2004-06-07, 17:10   Link #16
Cammie
Smooth and Curvy...

** one more thing.... Would we be able to write a review after watching 5-10 episode? then come back and write another review after the anime has ended. Or would we have to watch the entire series?
Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-07, 17:11   Link #17
Arwyn

Quote:
Giving points is not a bad idea but you should define the value of the points in advance, like 1 = very bad, 2 = bad, 3 = average, 4 = good, 5 = excellent. I think if you do not do this people will tend to give either very high or very low scores, which would make the entire purpose of giving points useless (see at animeNfo for example).
Another approach might be to let other folks rate by saying how helpful the review was rather than how good or bad it was. A review might be very well written, but completely off base, or might be poorly written, but exactly on target. Plus, by saying its more helpful/less helpful, it keeps folks from taking things personally.

Just a thought...
Old 2004-06-07, 17:15   Link #18
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie
** one more thing.... Would we be able to write a review after watching 5-10 episode? then come back and write another review after the anime has ended. Or would we have to watch the entire series?
Hmm, if its a complete series then yes, you should have watched it entirely (just my opinion), but if its an ongoing series or one thats currently airing in Japan and being fansubbed, then something like 5 to 10 sounds pretty reasonable.

After all, there is no reason not to review it early on, you could always go back and do another review whent the season completes.
Old 2004-06-07, 17:58   Link #19
7thMethuselah

ElvenPath made a format for reviews to be posted in the suggstions forum. I suggest you check it out

Oh, about the scores, there is only one score for bad for the foloowing reason: People that don't like an anime will most likely not finish it. So most reviews which are classified as bad will most likely be based on a limited number of episodes. Therefore I don't think there is a need for more "bad categories"

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=15078

So go ahead and review something
Old 2004-06-07, 18:05   Link #20
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
This is how the review would go:

Part 1 (needed):

1. Anime name.
2. AKA. (If it's known as another name)
3. Genre
4. Where it aired (if you don't know, don't guess.)
5. episodes watched/total number of episodes (don't knwo, write the amount of episodes you seen and a "?")
6. Age recommendation
7. Who released it (Don't know, find out later)
8. Notes: such as if it's lisenced, if it's a OAV, etc.
9. Recommended series (series like this type or if you like this you might want to see this. Not needed if you can't recommend any other anime. Just write "none".)

Summery of the plot (Needed) (Part 2)

Review (Part 3) (needed):

1. Pros (needed)
2. Cons (needed)
3. Animation
4. Characters
5. Plot intrest (needed)
6. Music

(has to be aty least half a page if anime is short. Most anime require at least a page)

(Don't forget spoiler tags if needed)

Epilouge (needed) (Part 4):

1. Thoughts (needed)
2. Rating (needed)

Audience recommendation (Part 5):

What age it's suitable for. (needed)

This will be the guide to the review if the idea is accepted. If you want to recommend more parts, you are more than welcome.

Edit: Crap! I typed this up for nothing! -_-;

Anyway, how about a new part of the boards for reviews?
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote