AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-07-06, 23:20   Link #361
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
...And im guessing Sheryl is an over confident....Proud Bi!ch
I second that....

Just had to say that...

Goodnight...Oh and Thunder. If any of my staff says OD is missing? Last you heard I was not playing here I was doing my part of the bios...
Old 2008-07-06, 23:23   Link #362
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Ok i will OD ..

Question for Sheryl lovers ..
Do you guys Hate Ranka or you just don't like her ? if do please explain
Old 2008-07-06, 23:28   Link #363
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
Oh, I forgot the famous line from Westlo: "you make me glad that I'm a Sheryl fan."
Seconded.

Quote:
...And im guessing Sheryl is an over confident....Proud Bi!ch
I wont deny it because in a way you're right. She's confident and proud in her abilities.

But that's where character development comes into play. I've no doubt that she'll eventually change for the better if that only means to be more humble.

Quote:
You'd be quite surprised actually. A lot of us Sheryl lovers don't Hate Ranka at all, in fact a lot of us like Ranka as well. I myself quite like Ranka as a character, just not with Alto.

Unfortunately, we just happen to like Sheryl more and side with her all things Alto and then some.

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...

Last edited by TwilightHack; 2008-07-06 at 23:42.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:31   Link #364
zalem

I don't hate Ranka. I actually dislike Nanase 100% more than Ranka.

As for why I'm not fond of her? Well, first impressions count. And as far as I saw Ranka was all moe/loli/damsel in distress from episode 1. That is a HUGE turn off for me. I hate moe/loli enough but to add the damsel in distress thing....that can really kill a character for me. I was afraid that would set the tone for things to come. But since this is Macross I tried to not hate her and keep an open mind. She can grow and mature afterall (too bad they can't age her up a bit). It's hard cause she does her moe thing and it drives me up the wall. But even so, I don't hate her. Hey, she showed some spine in episode 12 so I have to give her credit for that. I do think that shows her potential and that we will be seeing more of those moments in the future (at least I hope so).

I suppose it's just personal preference. Some people saw episode one and saw Sheryl as a bitch and that was that. She has a very strong personality and I can see why people wouldn't like her. But I enjoy her personality. She's got flare and I don't mind the arrogance one bit.

Who knows, I might end up really liking Ranka in the end. In Junni Kokki I absolutely DESPISED Yoko those first couple of episodes. I mean, I truly and deeply hated her with a passion. By the end of the series I adored her and she is one of my favorite anime characters ever. It's all about how the character develops and grows. That's good story writing.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:39   Link #365
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post

As for why? Well, first impressions count. And as far as I saw Ranka was all moe/loli/damsel in distress from episode 1. That is a HUGE turn off for me. I hate moe/loli enough but to add the damsel in distress thing....that can really kill a character for me. I was afraid that would set the tone for things to come. But since this is Macross I tried to not hate her and keep an open mind. She can grow and mature afterall (too bad they can't age her up a bit). It's hard cause she does her moe thing and it drives me up the wall. But even so, I don't hate her. Hey, she showed some spine in episode 12 so I have to give her credit for that. I do think that shows her potential and that we will be seeing more of those moments in the future (at least I hope so).

I suppose it's just personal preference. Some people saw episode one and saw Sheryl as a bitch and that was that. She has a very strong personality and I can see why people wouldn't like her. But I enjoy her personality. She's got flare and I don't mind the arrogance one bit.
*Wow* I think you got me...
Some of you really don't know how rare it is to see me in a non Bleach forum

You know what usually I hate emo characters too....But I don't see that in Ranka.

The opposite...

*Sleep deprived* .

Ok...I can barely see. I have to go ...
Old 2008-07-06, 23:39   Link #366
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

I love Ranka. If you compare her to Sheryl, it's unfortunate that she's not able to break out of her stereotype as wonderfully as Sheryl did on her tsundere type, since the series is annoyingly insistent on forcing the moe label on Ranka, but that doesn't mean Ranka isn't a bad character. She's come such a long way from her period of uncertainty and doubt, and though she's no Sheryl, that doesn't mean Ranka can't handle things in her own way. The girl has a big heart, and as long as she doesn't lose it in the course of the long run, then Ranka should be just fine.

It's Alto X Ranka I have a bone to pick with.

For their love story, I think the lead up sorely needs improvement. For Ranka's character development, the latest episode showed me that the man stunts her growth. I know he means well, I know he's just trying to protect her and shielding her from harm, I know that he's been protecting her throughout the series, but telling her to forget and run away from her memories is a reflection of him running away from his own problems. Face it, damn it. All of us know that Alto will be proven wrong eventually, Ranka will have enough backbone to face her past. Ranka basing her love on the fact that Alto's protecting her all the time is enough to tell me everything.

I'll continue this post when the next episode comes out, since I'll be able to see whether the series will confirm what I suspect the theme of Alto x Ranka is built on.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:40   Link #367
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Ok i will OD ..

Why do you immediately assume that because many of us are Sheryl fans we must somehow automatically become Ranka haters? Quite an audacious claim, is it not?

Because I don't hate Ranka. I think she is actually very cute. I just don't think she can make a good pair with Alto.

And of course the honest truth is that we simply love Sheryl more.

- Tak
Old 2008-07-06, 23:43   Link #368
King Lycan
*IT Support

Quote:
I totally agree with you i can't stand her...even if she does have big boobs...

Quote:
As for why I'm not fond of her? Well, first impressions count. And as far as I saw Ranka was all moe/loli/damsel in distress from episode 1. That is a HUGE turn off for me. I hate moe/loli enough but to add the damsel in distress thing....that can really kill a character for me.
I too hate moe/loli character but ranka is the first character i liked that was in the category ..idk why i like ranka i just do

But i don't like extremely emo characters such as Zero from Vampire Knight
Old 2008-07-06, 23:45   Link #369
herbert

I don't hate Ranka, to the worst I just don't like her, I'm tired of her damsel in distress like many others.

I liked Ranka as a cuttie in first a few of episodes, even though Sheryl has always been my fav. (I have a tendency to like women take things seriously, for example my top 5 girls in this year's saimoe: Sheryl, Fate, Addilisia, Kagami and Asuka). But Ranka dispointed me a little by little and I got another loli I thought cuter than Ranka (Klan-chan, anyone?). I don't really care her anymore other than her relations with Alto and Sheryl, but I don't really hate her because of her tragical past and she yet has done anything outrageous. But I don't like her either.
Old 2008-07-06, 23:46   Link #370
King Lycan
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Why do you immediately assume that because many of us are Sheryl fans we must somehow automatically become Ranka haters? Quite an audacious claim, is it not?

Because I don't hate Ranka. I think she is actually very cute. I just don't think she can make a good pair with Alto.

And of course the honest truth is that we simply love Sheryl more.

- Tak
Well i know i am wrong..i just based it of how you guys...bashed Ranka
Im sorry for assuming u guys hated Ranka
Old 2008-07-06, 23:47   Link #371
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
I love Ranka. If you compare her to Sheryl, it's unfortunate that she's not able to break out of her stereotype as wonderfully as Sheryl did on her tsundere type, since the series is annoyingly insistent on forcing the moe label on Ranka, but that doesn't mean Ranka isn't a bad character. She's come such a long way from her period of uncertainty and doubt, and though she's no Sheryl, that doesn't mean Ranka can't handle things in her own way. The girl has a big heart, and as long as she doesn't lose it in the course of the long run, then Ranka should be just fine.

It's Alto X Ranka I have a bone to pick with.

For their love story, I think the lead up sorely needs improvement. For Ranka's character development, the latest episode showed me that the man stunts her growth. I know he means well, I know he's just trying to protect her and shielding her from harm, I know that he's been protecting her throughout the series, but telling her to forget and run away from her memories is a reflection of him running away from his own problems. Face it, damn it. All of us know that Alto will be proven wrong eventually, Ranka will have enough backbone to face her past. Ranka basing her love on the fact that Alto's protecting her all the time is enough to tell me everything.

I'll continue this post when the next episode comes out, since I'll be able to see whether the series will confirm what I suspect the theme of Alto x Ranka is built on.
real quickly...then I am going to go...

That was good and bad advice. Because even though she does have to face it ...to be bound by it wouldn't be good either....

Alto's problems is why he'd be good for Ranka and not Sheryl ...

We will save it for when I had coffee and sleep. Because You know...that when I get serous...I get serious. So I can leave it at that with you...

Ok now it's goodnight *That's how you can tell when I am getting swept in shipwave...I keep saying goodnight but haven't left yet...yet I don't feel like doing a "Vintage OD" post...at the moment.*
Old 2008-07-06, 23:50   Link #372
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachOD View Post
*Wow* I think you got me...
Some of you really don't know how rare it is to see me in a non Bleach forum

You know what usually I hate emo characters too....But I don't see that in Ranka.
moe or emo? I am actually not fond of either, though I think I tolerate emo/angsty characters more then moe. No, I can't say that Ranka is emo. Sure there are moments when she is feeling down, but I wouldn't call her emo. But moe....well, that she is. She really, really is. This moe trend in anime really makes me want to cry...when will it END?

But anyway, among moe characters I suppose Ranka is a more likeable moe. But I really wish she was less moe and loli. Just a bit. Especially next to Alto. Cause it looks like lolicon (even if it isn't). And the writers need to stop putting her in these damsel situations.....Damsel in distress sydrome really irks me. Though on the bright side I do believe that in the end it will probably be her song saving the galaxy. So she will probably be the one doing the saving. I just wish the writers would move things along already.

Last edited by zalem; 2008-07-07 at 00:04.
Old 2008-07-07, 03:30   Link #373
ickem
シェリルの為に!

Quote:
moe or emo? I am actually not fond of either, though I think I tolerate emo/angsty characters more then moe. No, I can't say that Ranka is emo. Sure there are moments when she is feeling down, but I wouldn't call her emo. But moe....well, that she is. She really, really is. This moe trend in anime really makes me want to cry...when will it END?

But anyway, among moe characters I suppose Ranka is a more likeable moe. But I really wish she was less moe and loli. Just a bit. Especially next to Alto. Cause it looks like lolicon (even if it isn't). And the writers need to stop putting her in these damsel situations.....Damsel in distress sydrome really irks me. Though on the bright side I do believe that in the end it will probably be her song saving the galaxy. So she will probably be the one doing the saving. I just wish the writers would move things along already.
Yes, I too long for the day when moe in anime goes the way of the mullet. Ranka is actually the first moe character that I haven't had a seething hatred for in ages. I can't even remember the last one. I was so glad that they didn't have someone use a forced cutesy voice for her. It may have been because she is new to voice acting, but I for one am glad that we, the viewers, have been spared that.

Regarding Youko: Yep, I think just about everyone despised Youko for the first few episodes. I was hoping that Ranka would be modeled after Youko and grow strong quickly, but I feel somewhat disappointed up until this point. She has shown signs every few episodes, but seems to revert back just as often. Maybe she will achieve her awesomeness in the next few episodes though. Even now I can't really watch the first few episodes of 12 Kingdoms without wincing despite knowing that Youko becomes one of my favorite characters ever. Well of course Rakushun edges her by a hair as my favorite 12 Kingdoms character though.
Old 2008-07-07, 03:45   Link #374
mike_s_6

Quote:
Well i know i am wrong..i just based it of how you guys...bashed Ranka
Im sorry for assuming u guys hated Ranka
This is one of those chicken and egg arguments, who started what, all I know is that for the first 4 or so episodes of Macross F, people were calling Sheryl a b!tch for the few lines she has made (at that point, I didn't prefer any character over the other).

You see, Sheryl is quite a strong character, one of those you either hate or love. She knows what she wants, loves to excel, is very professional, but can act too controlling for some people's tastes. Ranka on the other hand, is a more subtle character that is hard to hate, but might evoke a feeling of indifference among the viewers due to her "safe" character. As the Sheryl-bashing subsided with episode 5, people started comparing the two, and when the fans of one side make a snide (or a semi-snide) comment about the other character, her faction starts to throw snide comments until it goes up in a flame war.

For this I suppose we have to congratulate the Macross F team, they really know how to rock the boat :P
Old 2008-07-07, 04:08   Link #375
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Ok i will OD ..

I don't hate Ranka. I dislike some of her fans though. She does get on my nerves, but I don't hate her. I hated her attitude in episode 12, where she didn't give a rat's ass about Sheryl, even after she saw her collapse on TV getting off the shuttle. Then when she shows up in person and sings the battle away, she doesn't even give a crap about Sheryl's well-being. All she can go on about, is Alto this, Alto that. He's a guy. He can fend for himself.

She's my least favorite character in this series thanks to that episode. Bumped down from 3rd or 4th. Even behind Grace now.
Old 2008-07-07, 08:05   Link #376
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:

But that's the thing...I think Ranka will evolve. She won't always be like that. She's already changing. I think her Alto look cute together it was them that drew my interest.

Sheryl is well she's freaking scary looking for one thing. He hair eye color...but she is annoying and runs roughshod over Alto. He lets her but when he's with her it's like the same as everyone. She teases and unmans him, he blushes and yells.

But with Ranka he's different. The jealousy...Remember when he saw her singing when he was with Sheryl? He didn't like the attention Michel was giving her and was very Negative. With the Zentradi start looking at Ranka and getting nosebleeds. He briefly gets a irritated look then that's what prompts him to fly over to her. He doesn't do that with Sheryl at all. Her Chemistry is better with Michel...who I think is really the hot guy!

I really want to go on...but I am tired and I still am trying to get some MOE to care to back up all that shit I talked. Which I can...but I am still struggling with this "Non Bleach thing" I have tunnel vision. "All I see is Ichigo" <--but I am not an emo stalker and I know..I don't have a chance...He'd 2-D I am 3 it would never work out...

I had to put avatar back on..because I couldn't recognize my own post...with non bleach characters..omg!...sorry. I am a serious Bleach Otaku dork

but it doesn't seem like there are Ranka haters...it seems like you hate the Ranka lovers and Sheryl-haters and that's the part that irks me. I dislike the character I am not calling you names because you like one I don't. It's the opposite. I crush your dreams in thread...then we are cool out of it. I take my hate out on a character not the fans. And not everyone agrees...so I don't red rep. That reminds me I owe Westly a cookie for making me have a a little bit a moe to bother posting...

At this point I don't want to wear Sheryl in sig dying...so it's not that bad.

baby's wake so I have to go.

Last edited by BleachOD; 2008-07-07 at 08:08. Reason: ignore typo's had five hours of sleep in the past three days
Old 2008-07-07, 09:06   Link #377
Westlo
Lets be reality

I don't dislike Ranka... it's just that Sheryl is so much better as a a character imo. I find Ranka has the potential to be one of the better characters from her archetype, but I think Sheryl atm is one of the better characters from her archetype (and I prefer Sheryl's archetype to Ranka's by a massive margin) and will remain that way unless they do a 180 on character writing. I have to admit that her total lack of disregard for Sheryl in episode 12 annoyed me and she lost a lot of points with me, she dropped from my third fav character in the series to around 5-7. 13 did nothing to change my opinion on her and I doubt 14 will as well, 15-17 will be some key episodes I guess in how I think about Ranka.

Quote:
But that's the thing...I think Ranka will evolve. She won't always be like that. She's already changing. I think her Alto look cute together it was them that drew my interest.
Of course she will evolve, that's the entire point of her character and her story, even Minmei grew up at the end of the original Macross 25 years ago and her personal problems were much worse than Ranka's. The thing is for a lot of these characters they evolve/mature at the cost of losing the love race. This isn't a Macross tradition, it happens in romance regularly.

Quote:
But with Ranka he's different. The jealousy...Remember when he saw her singing when he was with Sheryl? He didn't like the attention Michel was giving her and was very Negative. With the Zentradi start looking at Ranka and getting nosebleeds. He briefly gets a irritated look then that's what prompts him to fly over to her. He doesn't do that with Sheryl at all. Her Chemistry is better with Michel...who I think is really the hot guy!
You're delusional, get some well needed sleep if your edit above is true and watch those scenes again.

Last edited by Westlo; 2008-07-07 at 09:16.
Old 2008-07-07, 09:12   Link #378
mike_s_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

You're delusional, get some well needed sleep if your edit above is true and watch those scenes again.
I'm surprised that some people can read that much into a very simple "what the hell is happening?!" scene.
Old 2008-07-07, 10:19   Link #379
zalem

Quote:
Oh I agree that she will evolve, but the writers are taking their damn time doing it. As for the AltoxRanka thing being "cute"....well to you it is cute, but to me it's really creepy. I think lolicon in revolting and Alto and Ranka looks like lolicon (cause she looks 10 years old). They are very close in age, but they don't look it...can't help how I feel about it. It's an automatic reaction everytime I see it.

Quote:
Sheryl is well she's freaking scary looking for one thing. He hair eye color...but she is annoying and runs roughshod over Alto. He lets her but when he's with her it's like the same as everyone. She teases and unmans him, he blushes and yells.
Sheryl is gorgeous. I love her hair. And I think the way she treats Alto is awesome.

Quote:
o_O

Like I said before, I simply do not see jealousy in those scenes. At all. I've watched them again and again and I just don't see it.

edit: On a different note, I watch Bleach but am not a huge fan of it. I sort of casually watch it (and I don't watch the filler episodes at all). I don't go to the Bleach forums at all. I dislike Orihime immensely though and if there is any character in this series that gives me Orihime vibes it's Ranka.

Last edited by zalem; 2008-07-07 at 11:58.
Old 2008-07-07, 13:00   Link #380
BleachOD
Banned

Quote:

edit: On a different note, I watch Bleach but am not a huge fan of it. I sort of casually watch it (and I don't watch the filler episodes at all). I don't go to the Bleach forums at all. I dislike Orihime immensely though and if there is any character in this series that gives me Orihime vibes it's Ranka.
I Swear to god I will show it takes time. I have three boys...I cant do it now

but what I posted on Eury's page will do (I hate her too So much that if I wear her she is with anyone but Ichigo. If she's with Ichigo she's dying (I have one of him that from Kubo with Ichigo doing the stabbing or stalkng-<again drawn by kubo<--I want to wear it now)

Quote:
I like Ranka because she cute. That's right now. I used to feel the same way about Orihime. So that could change. I keep saying that but everyone dismisses that fact.
But I like cute and Strong characters
Ergo Proxy besides Vince...I love Pino

FMP ...Chidori...depends on the character. I don't just prefer certain types.
[/COLOR]

No ...they aren't alike at all. That's the thing? I thought that's what you thought...

The thing is... I really don't care much about elaborating because I am Bleach a serious Bleach Otaku. I usually don't even look at other forums so I am only half assing it.

Because why start something I really am not going to finish. I talk shit because of that's me.(You should know that) So you only have a high opinion of me if we are on the same team? That's fickle...Even if we don't agree...I wouldn't come at you like that

And although I hate Orihime I love the fact that even though emo and jealous of Rukia. They remain dear friends. I only hate her because I used to love her just as much as I hate her...but her tunnel vision made me change my mind. I don't like Sheryl that much and prefer Ranka that could change... she doesn't do the things Sheryl does.

I want to explain...but it's not Bleach. And I don't hate Sheryl I just dislike her

Ranka may be momentarily down but then she smiles and cheers up. She didn't let Alto being with Sheryl stop her from her dream. Orihime would have cried at least three times. Probably slit her wrists to boot. I see the parallels between the two characters but also the BIG difference. I thought people would find it odd I ship Ranka and Alto not IchiOri...now they will really think I think she's a threat

No Inoue is a non entity and will never be so she should focus on something else
Ranka right now has small chance that she never had

Damn it I keep going back to Bleach

Now I said I am going to explain and I will but unlike Bleach. I am not delighted to pick up and argument, I am not pacing preoccipied or trying to find a sitter because I must do this posts. And I don't care what other users think...that's a lie. I am hoping my ego will kick in and I will have the desire to prove my side. But if everyone is already biased why bother? When I don't care about any couple really but IchiRuki...

That's all...
Besides I only had 7 hours of sleep in the last four days counting the two I got this morning...I am guilty of insomnia and rambling...bleachers know that...

So when I just ramble they ignore me because they know I am sleep deprived.

But I will show you what I mean. Doesn't mean you will agree. Also those mega posts I pull out sometimes takes days to construct. Especially when I don't know the episode time by heart that I want to screenie. WIth Macross I am going in blind and it's actually quite refreshing to root for the underdog.

See You have preconceived notions about why I hate Orihime. If you didn't you'd know why I do not compare her to Ranka.

Ok...I just popped in for a minute and ended up rambling I don't even know what I said...I will check beck when I am fully rested.
Closed Thread