AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-02-28, 10:54   Link #1
Feran
>.>;; o.o

Modding Style and Choice?

Say there's a certain topic in a board, that a few members are having an intelligent discussion in. Then let us bring into light a scenario in which another member comes in and trolls the thread. Is it really fair to close that thread, and deny everyone else the ability to post and discuss to the topic?

And you might say, "well, you could just make another one", but without all the pages and stuff, and due to the laziness of the people to sift through another thread, THEN go back to the new thread, the previous thread never is the same.

I've been a supermod of some forums for over two years, and a co-administrator of my own, and I must state that I think with vBulletin's new capabilities, moderators can temporarily ban users who are trolls.

So say members enjoy a thread, and a troll comes in. As opposed to merely locking the topic, the moderator could delete all of the troll's posts, temp-ban the troll, and allow the members to continue having fun.

An entire thread of posters shouldn't have to suffer on account of one person.

What is your opinion on this matter, especially with the new features of vB 3.0.0?
Feran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 11:06   Link #2
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Very well stated! I agree!

Some members are very quick to "Spam" and then at other times some start useless threads stating "where have all the good threads gone"???

Well perhaps the good threads are no longer around because of SOME members spamming them. This behavior will deter a healthy discussion and those that really cared or wanted to partake are annoyed and then leave or worse yet have the thread closed.

I agree that bad behavior should be dealt with. To keep it from progressing, it is much easier to close a thread than to deal with the source of the problem... the member(s) who are the ones creating the havoc.

And No, I probably couldn't do better, but perhaps there is a better way

I have visited other forums and stayed away because the people are so rude to one another... they make Dragon Flame look like a Fresh Daisy That is why I stay pretty much on AnimeSuki I don't ever think of posting on other forums in fear of being viciously flamed . I don't want this forum to be a place of fear for noobs or the non-noobs .
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 14:48   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feran
Is it really fair to close that thread, and deny everyone else the ability to post and discuss to the topic?
No, as a general rule I would say it is not fair to close a conversation because of one or two trouble makers; but I would also say it depends on the situation.

Quote:
I think with vBulletin's new capabilities, moderators can temporarily ban users who are trolls.
Correct, with the current version bans of different lengths can be put in place -- and we do use them.

Quote:
As opposed to merely locking the topic, the moderator could delete all of the troll's posts, temp-ban the troll, and allow the members to continue having fun.
True -- they could. In fact, to my knowledge, that is exactly what we try to do when the situation warrants it? I'm pretty sure none of us likes to close threads, it stifles the forum's growth and development. Trouble is there are cases where it isn't as clear cut as one or two trolls ruining it for the rest... and other times when the thread is left open it degrades into a discussion about what happened rather than quickly getting back on topic... so like most things it is a bit of a balancing act.

There is always a fine line between keeping the peace and trying to maintain a fun atmosphere -- I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume from your post the idea that you don't think we get it quite right? To which I can only say what I've said before: I personally (and I think the same goes for the others) welcome feed back from members if and when they disagree with my actions -- I'm not perfect and if you think your opinion on a given situation will improve my judgment in future please PM me and say so... some members do and I'd like to think my choices get better as a result

Hopefully that doesn't sound to "defensive"... ?

~NightWish
AnimeSuki.com Moderator

Note: Before people ask, I didn't move this to the Feed-Back forum for a reason: it is worded in a very "general" way ... despite my assumption above ~
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 15:07   Link #4
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
I've been a supermod of some forums for over two years, and a co-administrator of my own, and I must state that I think with vBulletin's new capabilities, moderators can temporarily ban users who are trolls.
?
On the other hand, it would probably reduce the # of people who post here.

p3psi hasnt been posting as much after his/her ban.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-28, 18:47   Link #5
Feran
>.>;; o.o

Mm, mods don't ban immediately. They give warnings and ban on repeated occurrences or isolated high-severity incidents of improper conduct.

I simulatenously admit, though, that we need all types of users to create a community. And I am the type that likes to voice my opinions, and those who don't feel they can convey what they want to say properly, but share the same idea =P
Feran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 17:48   Link #6
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Mm, mods don't ban immediately. They give warnings and ban on repeated occurrences or isolated high-severity incidents of improper conduct.

I simulatenously admit, though, that we need all types of users to create a community. And I am the type that likes to voice my opinions, and those who don't feel they can convey what they want to say properly, but share the same idea =P
I personally think these mods are doing fine i havent been banned... yet. *ducks flying ban*

exactly what is trolling though? if you mean being bitchy... then...

it cant be stopped.
Old 2004-02-29, 18:44   Link #7
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
exactly what is trolling though?
Trolling is the act of making a post with the express hope of angering a part of the readers so that they will respond aggressively. It's an attempt to make threads degenerate into flamewars or empty discussions.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 19:25   Link #8
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Very well stated! I agree!

Some members are very quick to "Spam" and then at other times some start useless threads stating "where have all the good threads gone"???
I know exactly what you mean... - It's a shame we never found out about NinjaServ's watch, though.

As for me, I don't think it's such a great idea to just delete the posts made my the trolls. I think all replies to the trolls' posts should be deleted as well.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-29, 19:42   Link #9
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
So say members enjoy a thread, and a troll comes in. As opposed to merely locking the topic, the moderator could delete all of the troll's posts, temp-ban the troll, and allow the members to continue having fun.
well... yes. that would be the appropriate decision, however... i have not seen too many instances of this occuring... with the exception of threads created by fontonios.

(hey! what do you know! i found a thread (or saw one) that fontonios made that everyone liked and was not closed! hooray fontonios!)
Old 2004-02-29, 19:59   Link #10
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Yeah, fotonis seems to be getting better

No more "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

His posts have gone from being annoying (sorry, foto, but that's what I thought) to something that actually has worth and promotes some sort of thinking.

yeah, lately I've been dragged down by a few trolls...I'll try not to do it anymore.

On a side note, people in the Naruto forum seem to be getting out of control. Even members that have been there for a while seem to be getting easily agitated. Thoughts?

EDIT: Added stuff
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-01, 14:09   Link #11
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobobaggins
I personally think these mods are doing fine i havent been banned... yet. *ducks flying ban*
lmfho so much that I completely forgot what I was to type..... "flying ban" now what does that look like

Thanks for that laugh!

Spoiler:

....well perhaps it was I like NightWish's reply... not defensive at all. I award you A Gai Sensei's "THUMBs UP & SMILE " See a Naruto forum member can be nice
Old 2004-03-01, 14:30   Link #12
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
On a side note, people in the Naruto forum seem to be getting out of control. Even members that have been there for a while seem to be getting easily agitated. Thoughts?
it is nuts over there. no evidence needed. the forum itself is evidence.

well...

the anime watchers are pissed at the manga readers because all the manga readers let SOMETHING slip out of spoiler tags.

The manga readers are frustrated, because the anime watchers make points that have already been disproven in the manga.

a vicious sensei circle.
Old 2004-03-01, 17:03   Link #13
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

don't forget ...... Hunter's spoon

*eh? He don't come here does he?" Me always try to use spoiler tags.... one time I assumed this one guy was at least up to "the series" episodes, but he wasn't and Hunter and Vicious almost had to spoon me.... (he was like 10 eps behind in his watching)
Old 2004-03-01, 17:10   Link #14
raikage
日本語を食べません!

What is the deal with the spoon? Someone, please educate me!

As far as someone being pissed b/c he hadn't watched all the eps to date - sorry, but I have no sympathy. We can't be expected to discuss up til ep 4 for people who haven't watched very much of it yet. There's a reason I haven't set foot in the OP forum.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 09:34   Link #15
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
What is the deal with the spoon? Someone, please educate me!
Hunter is a forum member with much knowledge in the Ways of Naruto.....

in a question asking "what weapon would you choose" he chose SPOON.... he gave reasons....imagination grew... thus the Lord of the Spoon. He has a great picture of Sasuke carrying a huge spoon.... just a long running joke in the naruto Forum.
Old 2004-03-02, 11:41   Link #16
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Hunter is a forum member with much knowledge in the Ways of Naruto.....

in a question asking "what weapon would you choose" he chose SPOON.... he gave reasons....imagination grew... thus the Lord of the Spoon. He has a great picture of Sasuke carrying a huge spoon.... just a long running joke in the naruto Forum.
Heh. ive got a link to that picture (and where Hunter uploads all of his stuff) at home.

anyway: I think they are doing good...

Lesee..
#1 thank god i am not banned for making fun of richman... i didnt flame, but i thought it was pretty close. glad to be here.