AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2009-05-07, 02:42   Link #461
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post

One for personal use.
wow ..too many Great Sig's ...these two look Great
Old 2009-05-07, 03:04   Link #462
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Gomen .. I resized to 110 px to allow my little banner .. It goes oversized in 120px ;_;
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 07:19   Link #463
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
wow ..too many Great Sig's ...these two look Great
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
Gomen .. I resized to 110 px to allow my little banner .. It goes oversized in 120px ;_;
No problemo.

Update time.

Starting with sigs.

May SotM entry:

Spoiler for Older versions.:

Request sig for The Chaos:

Request sig for Hs Vi Germania:

And some photos.

Spoiler for Series of sky shots.:

Spoiler for Dimage 7 IR photo shakedown.:
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 07:23   Link #464
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
Request sig for The Chaos:
I must say Thank you so much for my Beautiful Sig
and Nice Pictures ^__^
Old 2009-05-17, 13:00   Link #465
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Thanks.

No problemo.

And some photos.

Spoiler for Series of sky shots.:

Spoiler for Dimage 7 IR photo shakedown.:
As usual very nice. I love the different transitions with the powerlines photo. I'm always a sucker for photos with great skyscapes.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 18:43   Link #466
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaos View Post
I must say Thank you so much for my Beautiful Sig
and Nice Pictures ^__^
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
As usual very nice. I love the different transitions with the powerlines photo. I'm always a sucker for photos with great skyscapes.
Me too. Just love photographing sky. Usually fail at it but love it none the less.

Just a small update.

I'm finally getting some kind of idea how to post process IR-images.

And then a couple of sigs.

A request for lsley:

Yup it fails...

And one for myself.

Mio with headphones. I'm sure there's something that can beat that, I just can't think of anything. I'll even allow the brand heresy on her part. AKG is a no no.
Old 2009-05-23, 08:19   Link #467
Cierra
Pieces Of Me
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Cierra
Quote:
Thanks.

Me too. Just love photographing sky. Usually fail at it but love it none the less.

Just a small update.

I'm finally getting some kind of idea how to post process IR-images.

now that's a lovely photo for a poster. That cold and warm feeling at the same time this pic has is truly amazing!
no cookies yet

Thanks to KiNa for this lovely signature =3
Cierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-24, 10:30   Link #468
Sagasu
*Artist

Escimo, ur great at making sigs! I really like them :O
Great job there!
Old 2009-05-25, 11:49   Link #469
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
May SotM entry:
Good luck in the competition!

I seriously digged your sig this time around!
Old 2009-06-27, 09:53   Link #470
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cierra View Post

now that's a lovely photo for a poster. That cold and warm feeling at the same time this pic has is truly amazing!
no cookies yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagasu View Post
Escimo, ur great at making sigs! I really like them :O
Great job there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Good luck in the competition!

I seriously digged your sig this time around!
Thanks for the comments everybody!

Whoa it's been a long time since my last update. (Haven't had much to update to be hones...) Anyway here goes.

Request sigs:

Extreme failure SotM entry:

Not expecting to get any votes with this uninspired and rushed piece of crap.

And finally some photos from the past month or so:
Spoiler for size:
Old 2009-06-27, 10:51   Link #471
Eps~
Busy busy busy
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Since when were you in my backyard to take that photo!? I thought I smelled something funny that day

J/k, wonderful photos as usual.
Old 2009-07-02, 15:08   Link #472
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Another wonderful batch of photos. I really like a lot of the shadow work in the tree photographs. I don't really know how to describe it, but to me it gives the photos a very "smooth" look.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2009-07-02 at 17:16.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-03, 15:38   Link #473
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eps~ View Post
Since when were you in my backyard to take that photo!? I thought I smelled something funny that day

J/k, wonderful photos as usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
Another wonderful batch of photos. I really like a lot of the shadow work in the tree photographs. I don't really know how to describe it, but to me it gives the photos a very "smooth" look.
Thanks for the comments.

Vector wallie I made for myself. Just something simple.

Old 2009-07-03, 19:06   Link #474
escimo
Paparazzi

Double posting... Sorry. Wanted to have a separate post for this tutorial.

Camera RAW

Here's a quick look into benefits of RAW format. Basically all DSLRs and quite many other digital camera's give you the option of capturing RAW images, but why would you like to fill your card with these huge images you can't even display without at least converting them into another format. There are two huge benefits.

Noise Reduction
Lets start with one of the smaller ones. Generally, at least in most of the cameras very little in camera processing is done to RAW images. Generally all you get is some curve and color space adjustments in camera but for example no noise reduction.

Why is this a good thing? Well a digital camera nowadays has about as much processing power as a basic smart phone so fairly generally noise reduction in camera isn't the most sophisticated. Some of the quality has been sacrificed on the altar of speed. With a modern computer you can do much much more without making processing of the images painfully slow. There's also very little or no options in cameras to how it's done. At best there are a few level options and that's it. Albeit being a bit inaccurate definition you could say that digital capture has two kinds of noise chromatic and luminance noise.

To better understand noise it's best to start with it's cause. Image sensor in a camera works a bit like a solar panel. But rather than creating electricity from light converts the difference in the amount of light into difference in voltage. It works in two stages, for each pixel in the picture there's usually four light sensitive sub pixels in the sensor, each of which have a colored filter. Usually two green sub pixels and one each for red and blue. Each of these sub pixels reacts to the light hitting the sensor and creates a corresponding voltage. When the image is exposed this voltage information is read from the sensor. Now this creates a bit of a problem. The pixels in the sensor are mostly sensitive to light but they're also a little bit sensitive to temperature. In fact just enough that the heat that is created by the sensor itself is recorded by it. ISO sensitivity works in digital cameras through increasing the voltage sensitivity when reading data from the sensor, which causes the amount of noise to increase as sensitivity is increased due to the the relative ratio of the actual recorded data and "false data" being recorded decreasing. Actually there's a little bit of noise caused by residual voltage but that's not very important and quite complicated matter.

A crude example. You have 2 images with identical exposure but one taken with 2 stops higher sensitivity and quarter of the light than the other.
In the first case with for example ISO 100 a pixel creates a signal of the strength 11X (arbitrary unit used just for this example). 10X of which being actual data and 1X of noise.
When you reduce the amount of light to a quarter of the original and compensate this by increasing the sensitivity to ISO 400 the sensor still creates 1X of noise but just 2½X of actual data. The signal with strength of 3½X is just interpreted by the camera as being the same as 11X in the first case. Well it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the basic principal.

The reason you generally get more noise in the dark areas of the picture is because just like a human eye the sensor records the amount of light on a logarithmic scale so the darker the detail in the picture the smaller are the differences in the voltage recorded. Extending the exposure time also increases the amount of noise because the sensor creates more heat the longer it's active since it needs constant electric current. Pixel density is also a factor in noise since if you increase the amount of pixels in the sensor without increasing it's physical size the absolute amount of light hitting each of the pixels is decreased. This is one of the reasons why cameras with smaller sensors tend to have higher noise levels as it's usually impossible to increase the actual sensitivity of the recording process enough to compensate it.

Now why deal with the noise yourself rather than letting the camera do all the work? Well this again comes down to marketing. There's a fairly constant competition between camera manufacturers who makes the cameras with the lowest noise. Low noise is however not usually achieved by making the sensors actually more sensitive but rather by more and more aggressive noise reduction. Image sensor creates a color for the pixel by interpolating the data of the sub pixels. Noise reduction is done in the exact same way but for larger areas of the picture and in camera generally done both for chromatic and luminance data. This inevitably causes some loss of detail. No noise reduction is in general done to RAW images, some cameras don't even compose of the final pixels from the sub pixels. Either way the data from the sensor is in effect recorded pretty much as it is. This allows you to for example disregard the luminance and interpolate only chromatic data. In this case the software reads the absolute luminance of the pixel and it's color, disregards the luminance and interpolates only chromatic data. This causes the rainbow colored noise to be reduced or even removed while keeping pretty much the original level of detail. You will end up with some monochromatic noise but it's usually fairly little concern.

Spoiler for Fairly large example picture:

Larger Bit Depth
Now this really makes a difference. Cameras create fairly standard JPEG files. Usually you can crank the compression ratio fairly low but it's still basically a compressed 24bit image. That's 8 bits per each red, green and blue channel. JPEG is often mistaken for 32bit format. It in fact in it's basic form isn't one due to the lack of Alpha-channel. Camera sensor however is usually capable of quite a bit more than that. Generally DSLRs can record RAW images of 12-14bit per channel bit depth. Now when you take into account that increasing the bit depth by 1bit you can double the amount of shades recorded. 12bit per channel image contains 16 times more shades per channel than 8bit per channel image, 14 bit has 64 times more shades. Well... In theory. In practice it's almost never perfectly linear nor do the images hold as much information as the bit depth would suggest but there's still a great difference.

So what? Well, if the pictures are perfect right out of the camera this doesn't matter. However if you want to make some exposure corrections especially if you want to make these adjustments only partially to the image this becomes fairly big deal. In optimal case, with a perfectly exposed image a 14 bit RAW gives you about 2 stops of headroom. You could increase or decrease the exposure by one full stop without any great loss of detail in the final image. This of course depends on the contents of the picture and the actual performance of your camera but basically +/-½ stop can be quite generally expected. Trying to do something like this on JPEG image will almost always cause either dark shades cut to black or light shades cut to white. And even if not you'll still lose a fair bit of shade data since the bit depth of the original and the final image being the same and the shade scale being altered.

Adobe's Camera RAW and for example Lightroom that uses it to raw processing has a couple of neat tools which are in fact fairly usable thanks to just this headroom. Digital fill light and recovery. Recovery allows you to fine tune the exposure of the highlight areas and fill light does the same for shadows. Especially recovery is fairly useful tool for finding a little extra definition in the highlight areas. For example clouds tend to respond very well to a careful use of it.

Spoiler for Fairly large example picture:

The "Cost"
Too good to be true? It sort of is. The biggest problem with RAW images is that there's absolutely no standard for them. The problem is that RAW images aren't images in the traditional sense. As a simplification you could say that RAW records how the image was captured rather than processing this data and recording what in fact was captured. Each image sensor and image processor combination produces an unique type of RAW image. This inevitably causes compatibility issues. Even the most common RAW processing programs might not support RAW files of new cameras immediately, not even the most common models. If I remember correctly it took about a month for Adobe to implement the support for EOS 500D's (EOS Rebel T1i) RAW format to their Camera RAW. Manufacturers usually have their own processing software but they in general aren't very good in terms of usability.

There's a non-standard alternative though. Adobe is campaigning heavily for their DNG (Digital Negative) format. Camera manufacturers are yet to catch on though. DNG as a format is fairly good because once you have a software that can convert camera's RAW format to DNG (usually lossless conversion) they're compatible with any software that supports DNG regardless whether these support the original RAW format. Adobe has DNG support in all of their major image manipulation software as do a few of their competitors. However as great as DNG is it's not without limitations. For example one major being that its adjustable light balance color temperature scale is only from 2000K to 50000K. Usually it's not a problem but poses some issues in some specialty cases, especially in the lower end of the scale. There's also a high chance that the format might need upgrading at some point or another which could render some older software unusable, especially in the case of third party software. To my knowledge this hasn't happened yet but doesn't remove the possibility as the technology continues to advance in a dizzying rate. One more and in fact the larger issue is that there aren't really cameras that would capture images in DNG format. At least I'm yet to come across one. So it pretty much inevitably needs conversion from the original format to DNG. This might change in the future if the camera manufacturers actually decide to support the format. Remains to be seen.

Final Words
Time for a conclusion. While RAW as a format has limitations, not least of which being that to be used it always needs conversion to another format, there are in my opinion a few huge pros that trump all of it's cons. In any case if you have the equipment to do so it's definitely worth looking into. There are a few very good software out there for processing them, for example Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture both of which are fairly affordable. At least I think putting half the price of an entry level DSLR to a software that allows you to have twice the fun with it is a good deal. And if you can actually use the camera manufacturers software without having a nervous breakdown it usually comes free with the camera.

Last edited by escimo; 2009-07-04 at 10:42.
Old 2009-07-04, 16:45   Link #475
konstargirl
Reisen FTW!
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to konstargirl
I love the vector of Micheal. ^_^ It's still sad that he's dead.
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-05, 03:56   Link #476
Cierra
Pieces Of Me
*Artist

I found that Camera RAW tutorial very useful Escimoe. Too bad I cannot give u any cookies yet.
I used to love photography when I was younger but my busy life won't let me do anything useful again >.>

Old 2009-07-09, 17:52   Link #477
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
I love the vector of Micheal. ^_^ It's still sad that he's dead.
Thanks.

Quote:
I found that Camera RAW tutorial very useful Escimoe. Too bad I cannot give u any cookies yet.
I used to love photography when I was younger but my busy life won't let me do anything useful again >.>
Don't give up on it. If you keep your camera with you and your eyes open, you can get quite a lot done in very little time. BTW. Did you know there's a photography group here on Asuki?

A sig update. I'm rusty...

Freebies:

For personal use:
Old 2009-07-10, 03:21   Link #478
Cierra
Pieces Of Me
*Artist

Can I have the render of this pic? I really like it

Old 2009-07-10, 04:40   Link #479
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:

Can I have the render of this pic? I really like it
If you're registered to planet renders you can get it here...
¨http://planetrenders.net/renders/dis...php?pos=-44410
Old 2009-07-10, 12:23   Link #480
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

Quote:
For personal use:
I love this Sig