Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-06-12, 20:18   Link #141
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I like Hyouka myself, but I doubt it would have had anywhere near as much attention given to it if it was a JC Staff or DEEN property.
I doubt the animation would have been anywhere near good if it was JC staff doing that anime. I doubt Yuuichi Nakamura, who I love, would have been cast if it wasn't KyoAni. and speaking of DEEN, what about that Sankarea adaptation, eh?

As for this new anime, really? Please don't let Okada's retarded drama into this thing. And please tell me those characters aren't going to be as generic in the anime as they were in the manga.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck

Last edited by Flawfinder; 2012-06-12 at 21:45.
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 06:17   Link #142
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Okada's drama isn't retarded!

Unless it involves eggs and/or dresses.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 06:21   Link #143
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Okada's drama isn't retarded!

Unless it involves eggs and/or dresses.
Hey man, that's pretty tame.

A disabled person deliberately falling down the stairs so that the main character will feel sorry for them... now that's retarded.

That actually happened in Black Rock Shooter. Top that for overwrought melodrama Key/Jun Maeda.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 06:46   Link #144
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Dear Okada,I thought the staff let you create the Oscar character in Lupin III to let you express your crossdressing fetish.So since you already had Oscar,why did this happen?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Just.....why?
Old 2012-06-22, 06:48   Link #145
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

What the fuck.

Damn you Okada. And I thought Blizzard was mad with power and full of it these days.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-06-22, 06:50   Link #146
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Dear Okada,I thought the staff let you create the Oscar character in Lupin III to let you express your crossdressing fetish.So since you already had Oscar,why did this happen?

Images

Just.....why?
I don't know man. She's completely outta control. I saw a hate blog just now that had an entry called "Lupin III: The Woman Named Mari Okada". It was Okada hate post ofc.

What the hell is wrong with this woman seriously. And it's only gonna get worse with romcom shenenigans (Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo) and shonen/sci-fi genericness (Zetsuen no Tempest) next season.
Old 2012-06-22, 06:58   Link #147
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:

Images

Just.....why?
i think its still related to the story, episode 12 of Lupin 2012 says their are various kidnappings around the world and they might have transform into Fujiko Prototypes as that episode shows since we saw Oscar as one of the Fujiko Prototypes/Clones, the final episode next week may explain this more
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-22, 11:23   Link #148
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I don't know man. She's completely outta control. I saw a hate blog just now that had an entry called "Lupin III: The Woman Named Mari Okada". It was Okada hate post ofc.
Is this the blog you're talking about? Because it didn't strike me as particularly hateful. Just critical.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 04:02   Link #149
thirdlc

Quote:
Here's the original japanese arcticle that lead to the ANN article that says her "emotions were shaken" ,which to me is normal when you're told your work needs a major rewrite,but it's not like she quit the project,she stayed on board,rewrote the script and went on several promotional interviews alongside Nagai so I don't buy into her not liking the show.

Though if anyone feels like translating I'd appreciate it because I don't always trust ANN.
Are you OK with a rough translation?

She wanted to write a sense of hanging out with childhood friends without reasons as she was a kid, and thickness and speed of the flow of time through childhood. To connect the two elements, she came up with Menma, a ghost. She definitely wanted to call to Nagai and Tanaka for her first original work. After winning a competition, she did so. When she showed them the project proposal, she didn't know what she should focus on yet and the proposal included slapstick erotic elements. At the first meeting, the two of them suggested she focus on friendship, and told cliche was fine. Then she felt certain she cound handle the script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
What I got from that article using my limited google translate (lol), was that Okada was inspired by I Can Hear the Sea and Only Yesterday. Both of them are Ghibli josei dramas. Never seen I Can Hear the Sea, but I did see Only Yesterday, which was excellent. So this is where she got her inspiration from for her drama scripts? No wonder why she was great (compared to the rest) in the past.
That part is an introduction of AnoHana by the article's writer.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 11:01   Link #150
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Images

Just.....why?
I still enjoy the show week to week, but at this point the whole crossdressing thing with Okada in general is getting pretty

It's one thing to have a calling card or theme that you like to include in shows you work on as a signature, but it's when they get intrusive and go against the grain of something else like say a 40 year old character that it becomes a bit of a problem. It's regrettable that the forever overreaching Okada had to be a part of this production, but fortunately it managed to succeed in spite of her.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-23, 15:19   Link #151
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

It seems Okada has an annoying tendency to take something funny and drive that joke into the ground to the point of obnoxiousness. The crossdressing thing is the most blatant example, starting with a disturbing but funny Oscar but leading into this. But it's the kind of crap that sunk Hana Saku Iroha badly by excessive poking fun at the characters and just humiliating them for the sake of it. It's funny to see Minko act stupidly belligerent ineffectually towards Ohana, screaming "die", but it's not nearly as amusing the 12th time around. It shows a lack of respect and control. Anohana only did that, but they just decided to stick with Tsurukko making fun of Yukiatsu.

I mean really, HSI is arguably her greatest waste of potential, since its themes are actually potentially deeper than the other two works I consider most indicative. The main character is the most interesting. But no, she has to hand in scripts with an evil smirk on her face leading the staff to groan. Well, that and she had to write up more sensational stuff to sell the series I understand, but still. But come on, Anohana was sincere mostly and didn't need any gimmicks (except that one) to go far-- just straight up writing and punching the viewer in the gut with emotions.

My other thought as I've had for a while is that she has a tendency to perform poorly in the last quarter which makes many an ending of hers inferior to the parts before. AnoHana is of course the lead in example, but True Tears had quite an earthquake near the end as well. She doesn't seem to be able to wrong a long story without losing focus. And for this to show up in the tail end of Lupin just kinda reinforces this. It's sorta like "I don't know what to do, here's some crossdressing LOLZ" but the real kicker is someone had to approve of this. And we know she's better than that. But either due to laziness, malicousness, or a lapse of judgement, this happened.

At this rate, we'll just remember her as a decent writer with strange tendencies, but you know, what comes up must go down.

Honestly I find her style of writing in the more zany moments not too far from how I post on forums where I post almost anything on my mind just because I can deliver some amusement for myself. But you need to have more restraint at work damn it!

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-06-23 at 15:43.
Old 2012-06-23, 16:00   Link #152
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
Are you OK with a rough translation?

She wanted to write a sense of hanging out with childhood friends without reasons as she was a kid, and thickness and speed of the flow of time through childhood. To connect the two elements, she came up with Menma, a ghost. She definitely wanted to call to Nagai and Tanaka for her first original work. After winning a competition, she did so. When she showed them the project proposal, she didn't know what she should focus on yet and the proposal included slapstick erotic elements. At the first meeting, the two of them suggested she focus on friendship, and told cliche was fine. Then she felt certain she cound handle the script..
Thanks for offering this,rough is better than nothing!

Though a few part kind of make me my eyebrows so i'd really appreciate it if you could clarify a few things:

Quote:
She definitely wanted to call to Nagai and Tanaka for her first original work.
1) So she chose to work with Nagai and Tanaka,not the inverse?
2)did she really say Ano Hana was her first original work?That'd mean she doesn't consider True Tears to be be her original work or that Ano Hana was in developement for a really long time.
3)What competition did she win?
Old 2012-06-25, 19:34   Link #153
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Honestly, with regards to the new Lupin series, I think it's more the director's fault than hers, as I could see that sort of stuff working in the other Lupin products.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:08   Link #154
ZODDGUTS

New Lupin has been pretty damn terrible. Only 2 or 3 eps are good in the series. Who ever decided to make Fujiko the main character is an idiot.

Quote:
Honestly, with regards to the new Lupin series, I think it's more the director's fault than hers, as I could see that sort of stuff working in the other Lupin products.
I say it's both the director and writers fault It's not like Michiko and Hachin had much depth, it felt like watching a Shinichirō Watanabe work but without the substance. Takeshi Koike also deserves blame but for the animation in the series, so inconsistent and sometimes down right bad. Overall the series has been a mess.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 21:18   Link #155
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Honestly I find her style of writing in the more zany moments not too far from how I post on forums where I post almost anything on my mind just because I can deliver some amusement for myself. But you need to have more restraint at work damn it!
So you don't like Mari Okada when she goes crazy because she reminds you of yourself. Makes sense.

More seriously, I'm not really sure how True Tears how messed up towards the end. I recall maybe one plot point that I felt wasn't resolved too smoothly and there was a scene toward the end that was just "what." With everything else well I can be glad that the early half of the show established what it needed to so nothing felt too sudden later on.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-25, 22:01   Link #156
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Takeshi Koike also deserves blame but for the animation in the series, so inconsistent and sometimes down right bad.
When you're given insane deadlines and you're foced to outsource a whole bunch of the animation to korea there isn't much the guy can do.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:15   Link #157
thirdlc

Quote:
Thanks for offering this,rough is better than nothing!

Though a few part kind of make me my eyebrows so i'd really appreciate it if you could clarify a few things:

1) So she chose to work with Nagai and Tanaka,not the inverse?
2)did she really say Ano Hana was her first original work?That'd mean she doesn't consider True Tears to be be her original work or that Ano Hana was in developement for a really long time.
3)What competition did she win?
Yes, she did.

Yes, she did. In this context, she meant she was a planner of AnoHana.

How should I put it? It's the one that decided which proposal would get animated. The one that accepted her proposal of Anohana.
thirdlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-26, 01:36   Link #158
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito_Kinomoto View Post
So you don't like Mari Okada when she goes crazy because she reminds you of yourself. Makes sense.
Bad things that remind us of the worst of ourselves will do that. However, I will say that my favorite parts of her works are the comical ones, because it seems the style of humor is very similar to my own. (Wait, Anohana was a comedy right?)

Quote:
More seriously, I'm not really sure how True Tears how messed up towards the end. I recall maybe one plot point that I felt wasn't resolved too smoothly and there was a scene toward the end that was just "what." With everything else well I can be glad that the early half of the show established what it needed to so nothing felt too sudden later on.
If you're a certain half of the fanbase, True Tears ended in disaster. In reality, there's at least two lolwut plot threads that kinda just wither and make you wonder "the fuck was the point of that?"

Still, it's a great show. I just wasn't amazed as I was by the end. Still, it was obvious the writing had a certain amount of honesty in it that shone through. I would say the same to AnoHana and yes, even Hanairo to lesser degrees.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-06-26, 05:30   Link #159
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Bad things that remind us of the worst of ourselves will do that. However, I will say that my favorite parts of her works are the comical ones, because it seems the style of humor is very similar to my own. (Wait, Anohana was a comedy right?)
I one up your Anohana as a comedy with Kaiji as a comedy .

Quote:
If you're a certain half of the fanbase, True Tears ended in disaster. In reality, there's at least two lolwut plot threads that kinda just wither and make you wonder "the fuck was the point of that?"
I know what the first lolwut plot is
Spoiler for True Tears Major Plot Spoilers:
but what's the second?
Old 2012-06-26, 06:00   Link #160
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Second...

Spoiler for TT:

Okada quality calculator: